(shouting)

Overworld Thread Redux

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
aterraformer

Re: Overworld Thread Redux

Post by aterraformer »

Well I have an midi for it here (from aforementioned game) or there are other versions here and here though one of them is probably the attached one. If you aren't content with those, I haven't looked but Chrono Cross is pretty popular. There might be other versions of midi out there somewhere.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
ravegg

Post by ravegg »

I orginally started out making World 8 as a cave/chasm type thing but nothing I made really looked good at all, or fit the music. So, this is what I came up with instead.
I haven't finalized it yet, but I just think the meadow+shadow forest gives off a "calm before the storm" vibe, which fits the world's theme of being difficult. It also doesn't clash with any level themes. I might add constellations and other things to make it feel more like an extra world. It should be fairly easy to add two or more levels to this map as well. Suggestions welcome!
I make puzzles for games sometimes check em -> Steam Workshop
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

No suggestions, just praise! I like it a lot and a constellation will be a very nice addition.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I really love your creative job on this map!
glitch4

Post by glitch4 »

Now this is better than I think.

Now how are we make world 9 in main overworld?
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I've completed porting a new song for overworld, finally! This is a candidate port for forest submap.
It's a kind of beta version, and some components might be fixed. Any opinions and feedbacks would be nice!

edit: small update (intro(/) location was changed)
Attachments
Sunrise_v1.1.zip
(38.74 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Fixed wrong commands, and improved bass and percussion. I think that's all I can do on this song for now. If this is accepted for the forest submap, I will upload the txt file here or PM it.
Attachments
Sunrise_v1.3.zip
(41.75 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

After looking at the world 6 submap with the new music I like it but I feel something is missing. Is there any possible way to make some sort of foreground thingy like trees or fog to "dim" it a bit. Similar to the clouds on the overworld. Just throwing out ideas. I even think world 7 could use some sort of lightning effect (on the whole screen since no sky is visible) but considering the thunder sound does not work with that port. Eeeeh I'm just spouting ideas, nothing serious!
glitch4

Post by glitch4 »

How do you guys open spc file? because of me it shows PKS#7 error message.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I use SNES SPC700 player. You can get it from here.
glitch4

Post by glitch4 »

Hmmm,maybe better use the previous main overworld theme?
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

LitDude42 wrote:Hmmm,maybe better use the previous main overworld theme?
Your opinion is welcome. You meant Final Fantasy III - Eternal Wind?

Like some other big collabs, I have a desire to fill overworld music with new custom songs instead of old songs which already spread over other hacks. This ambition might be too big but it would be really great once it's done. But I believe it's advisable to give up my port if there are some who don't agree with it, since this is collab.
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

I think worldpeace's port fits the forest submap quite nicely, considering the dark atmosphere of the levels there.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

LitDude42 wrote:Hmmm,maybe better use the previous main overworld theme?
Nope, not gonna happen. That wasn't even very "official" anyway. worldpeace has made some amazing ports for this hack and I would like you to respect the time he put into this.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I've finished another song. It's a candidate for world 8 map.
Attachments
Heroine_04_v1.0.zip
(36.65 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
glitch4

Post by glitch4 »

This port is great, but it almost made me sad to put it in World 8.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Thanks. I think World 8 needs giving some more love.

Now back to the 7th_submap.asm, it hijacks $008055 and JML(which is $5C in hex) to the routine that initializes RAM. It's a crazy coincidence(maybe I'm going to buy a lottery ticket today) that AddmusicK detects the old addmusic by checking this:

Code: Select all

if read1($008055) == $5C
, misleading AddmusicK as if we were using Addmusic 4.05 after we apply 7th_submap.asm. As a result, AMK overwrites the hijack and messes up the 7th submap.
Here's an update to avoid this problem.
Attachments
7th_submap_v3.zip
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 1335 times
ravegg

Post by ravegg »

Here's World 8 implemented into the overworld. I probably will go back and add more graphics eventually, but I just wanted to get this update out there after having it for so long.
Attachments
Main OW v7.zip
(892.59 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
ravegg

Post by ravegg »

I've made some good progress on World 9, here's what I have so far.
It took a lot of messing around to get everything looking decent, and I definitely like the ideas/layout of the map. I'm a pretty poor artist so suggestions are always helpful. Do you have any ideas what you want the final level to be? I don't really want a castle since there are already two of those in this submap, so maybe a portal or something? It'll go right in the middle where all that white space is.

Once I'm done, I'll make an update that has all 9 worlds.
I found a spot for Cave of Layer 2, so all that is left really is events, star warp shenanigans, and the World 7 castle.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Seems pretty nice. At the right bottom of the map, I think one of the two faces can have darker palette for 3d-like depth effect.

It will make things convenient to note that some levels will be removed or changed for reasons and that some new levels will be created. I guess most of crucial changes/insertions will not be on the World 9, but still. For the final level, we are seeking for a theme. Personally, I have one or two ideas for abstract theme in my mind. But to implement it, tons of ASM skill and tricks seem to be necessary. I haven't experienced in making any similar things, and I'm not sure if I can cover one. So just holding off now.
markyjoe1990

Post by markyjoe1990 »

Whoa. My third level's in world 9 now? I'm pleasantly surprised. I think it was meant to be the "gateway level" to world 9 before. That actually helps me, because now I don't have the yellow P-switch to worry about.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

While taking a short break from developing the boss, I revised W6 submap song a little due to the echo's resonance which badly sounds especially in ZSNES. SPC file is included in the archive.
Sunrise.zip
(44 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
I'm also considering replacing it with another Talesweaver song (click). Please let me know your preference.

About the world 9 map, I sent aterraformer some candidate songs which I can probably port (when any of W9 map weren't planned yet), and asked him to choose one. And this is the song.
SMH - On The Moon

At the time we expected world 9 to be kind of (abstract) cave themed. But the current state of W9 might be irrelevant to this song. If so, we need to pick another song or adjust the map's palette or etc to fit into the music.
Anyway, does anyone know about this music (bad quality)? I accidently obtained the file. Possibly a candidate for W9.
ravegg

Post by ravegg »

Nothing is really polished, but this version should have every single level somewhere on the overworld. It also has the world 9 shown in the previous post, so it isn't finished, but it's functional. Star warps haven't been edited yet, so you can't go to world 8 without moving mario manually.
Attachments
OW v8.zip
(893.57 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I'm done with world 9 map's song.

e: minor update
Attachments
All Hallows Sunset v2 (SPC).zip
(56.99 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Some suggestions
- Regarding world 9, there's an opinion that dragon coins are used to unlock the levels. It's lolyoshi's idea. People including me on IRC agreed on that.
In this case, beating the levels could unlock only the path. Futhermore, world 9 should be accessible earlier as 9-1 could be unlocked with only a few of dragon coins(say 20, and this condition can be fulfilled in midgame).
- There's a suggestion to have a shortcut connecting world 2 and another in the main map. In my opinion, the place where the castle #5 is would be good for this.
- Probably we need to carefully consider rearranging some levels.