(shouting)

Overworld Thread Redux

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
worldpeace125

Re: Overworld Thread Redux

Post by worldpeace125 »

There are two options for bgm of forest submap

Due to several issues, I'd like to replace the existing one. 'Autumn leaves' is the new one.
Which one would you pick?

The old one doesn't sound well in zsnes and it's the main reason why I want to do so.
Attachments
forest.zip
(89.08 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

While I do 'Autumn leaves' is a nice song, it seems too upbeat for the situation. The reason I liked 'Sunrise' so much is because of how foreboding it is. If it doesn't work well in ZSNES then, well I don't know.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

ZSNES is really inaccurate especially when it comes to echo and volume of notes at high pitch. If I adjust the port to zsnes, it will become bad in other emulators or spc players.

If it's technically possible to detect which emulator are being used in game, I will prepare two ports of the same song. One of them is equal to the current version and the other is for ZSNES
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

got around to make the 8th submap after I and aterraformer talked it over.
a plan of world 1, landscape needs to be tweaked
a plan of world 1, landscape needs to be tweaked
conn3.png (20.11 KiB) Viewed 6848 times
Technically it uses the remaining space at the right bottom corner of the main map.

It will function as an alternative world 3.

detail:
- Adding more nonlinearity and secret contents overall
It makes use of some 'redundant' secret exits which existed in the ealier worlds. Now "The Dumbest Cavern" is moved to this world and forms the connection like that. Also the both exits of "Aquiferic Pressure" become more rewarding (two different entrance to the cave which have own secrets that cannot be accessed by other routes).
Speaking of the redundancy(shortcut without introducing any new level), the connection of world 1 is changed so that it contains some interesting secrets as well.

- Levels
Some of them are existing levels taken from other worlds, and the lands left by them are used to loosen the parts where the level arrangement is too dense, and to place some extra rewards i.e. star roads, yoshi's houses. This cave actually has the star road too.

-- (World 1) The Dumbest Cavern: aforementioned

-- (World 7) Blockomancy Vs Trigonometry: this one was said to be easy for world 7 so this place would be good for it. Its previous location is now occupied by "Burnt Mountain Tango" naturally

-- (N/A) Spring Green Spelunking: a new level that wasn't placed yet

-- (World 3) Crusher Cavern: a level from world 3. Due to the limited space of world 3, I decided to move the level from ice world 3 to this world 3 so that a yoshi's house can be placed. It's kinda far from ice theme, and also all levels from the author were in the ice world so I think it's good to move the level

-- (World 4) Tunnel of the Living Rock: there're pretty many levels in world 4, so I took a one of yellow cave levels from there. Also "-Charge!- or -Fire!-?" is moved to wider area.

-- (N/A) Fortress of Koumei's Trap: a new level that wasn't placed yet

some images are prepared
reward of YSP and two entrances of the cave
reward of YSP and two entrances of the cave
conn1.png (14.47 KiB) Viewed 6848 times
regular entrance of the cave
regular entrance of the cave
conn2.png (14.78 KiB) Viewed 6848 times
JUMP_00000.png
JUMP_00000.png (9.01 KiB) Viewed 6848 times
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

There was a map missing? Well it looks pretty nice, especially with the original palettes.

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

I'm really liking the development! Thanks for making that 8th submap. Now we have an even more original hack! lol
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

This port may be used by the cave submap.
Attachments
On The Moon(v1).zip
(38.9 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

worldpeace125 wrote:This port may be used by the cave submap.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

worldpeace125 wrote:This port may be used by the cave submap.
I don't follow JUMP at all, but I heard this track about a year ago and fell in love. I'm so, so happy to hear such an accurate port made it to SMW - beautiful work.

(though I have to be honest, I'm not sure if it would really fit a map. It would sound a lot more awesome in some sort of night-themed level.)
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Oh, thanks!

While I agree on that the port would not fit the map, I had to sacrifice vanilla SFX samples to obtain enough ARAM to accommodate 32.3 kb custom samples and echo delay 7. unfortunately it can be used by only map or ending scene.

Probably the best solution I can come up with is to choose darker palettes for the submap to make it more suitable.
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

I could see it fitting that cave submap really well as is; though I think it would be even cooler with a darker palette.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

I know that the overworld is still a WIP (I think?), but there are a few suggestions that I wanted to make, alongside of some questions that I still have regarding the overworld. I know that a lot of this is pretty much going to be personal taste, so feel free to ignore all of it if you think I’m talking nonsense (:

General: I think it would be pretty cool if all the yoshi houses had individual names. Maybe we could continue that “And then there was a…”-naming gimmick from VIP4/ASMT? Like: “And then there was a tourist information” for world 1, “And then there was an Inuit settlement” for world 3A, "And then there was a Special World" for world 9 or something like that. Just throwing in ideas…
Also, there is this general glitch that Mario stands one tile too high whenever he comes out of the “normal” submap transitions, an example would be both transitions between world 2 and 3A. I believe this is a vanilla bug, but if there’s a fix for it, I would definitely apply it.

World 1: Mario’s head is cut off if he stands on the cloud which has the “Untitled Sky Level Place”-spot. I would really recommend changing this around because I think it looks kind of bad. Also, at the moment there is a green/cyan border at the edge of the cloud, which looks fine when you first play the game, but once the season changes, I think that this ledge of the cloud looks kind of ugly in relation to the brown ground of the landmasses. Maybe a lighter blue color would work better? Also, I assume that the ledge leading to the special world is going to appear once the player unlocks it in one of the yoshi houses? Even if that is not the case, I think that the color of the little island is kind of weird. I don’t really connect dark green to something special or secret. Maybe something more extravagant like black or white would work better? Maybe not though.

World 3A: The position of the star looks kind of weird – Basically it just stands there in the mountain itself. Personally, I would remove the right side of the mountain (so that the mountain essentially becomes some sort of prism) and just add more land in the area where the star is now. Also, the brown landmass where “Slippery Sloppy, Steep Slopes” is located has no reason to be brown anymore, since the level order has shifted around, so it would make more sense for it to be cyan like the rest of the map.

World 3B: The lower left side of the waterfall has some cutoff.

World 4: The climbing animation between “Spike Toss” and “UNDER CONSTRUCTION” is off. Also, how exactly are you going to handle the location of the red switch right inside the waterfall? A half-finished bridge? I don’t know, but this looks like it could potentially look really weird. Maybe a “complete” bridge would look better, if you put the switch on the other side of the waterfall next to the castle? Maybe you could expand that landmass so it would be further away from the ladder?

World 6: The path between “Coin Guides Are Always Accurate” and the star looks really, really weird. I know that there isn’t a lot of room, but couldn’t you go straight right from the level and then down? Maybe if you would extend the dark green landmass so that the level-spot and the star are on the same height? Pretty much the same goes for the path between “Coin Guides…” and “Into the Dark Forest”, but I think there is no alternative solution there.

World 7: Currently, it is possible to walk up from bowsers castle, which leads into oblivion.

World 8: I still don’t really know how this map is going to work in the finished hack. As far as I can see, it has two goals: Connecting the different submaps/creating shortcuts between them, and giving access to the yoshi house on the world 7 submap. Below is the only way I can see how the map would work out (red means given path from unlocking the star, green means the path that opens once the level is beaten). I can’t see how the map is supposed to work differently, so I don’t know how you are going to apply the “secret star” leading to the yoshi-house…

World 9: There has to be some sort of event after the final level so that the player knows that he has actually beaten it. A good way to do that would be to create a path back to the pipe, and completing the circle.
Attachments
jump1.jpg
jump1.jpg (74.97 KiB) Viewed 6614 times
this is getting laundromatic
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I've been aware of the bug allowing you to move toward wrong directions. There are actually more than what you mentioned. Also those cutoff things too. They should be fixed when everything is ready so that I can complete the overworld.
Ryrir wrote:World 3A: The position of the star looks kind of weird – Basically it just stands there in the mountain itself. Personally, I would remove the right side of the mountain (so that the mountain essentially becomes some sort of prism) and just add more land in the area where the star is now. Also, the brown landmass where “Slippery Sloppy, Steep Slopes” is located has no reason to be brown anymore, since the level order has shifted around, so it would make more sense for it to be cyan like the rest of the map.
Considering that the star road is connected by the ladder tile, I guess the original author actually thought of changing the landscape with layer 2 events. Anyways those levels in the ice world needs relocating (like, the house should be at a dead end, "Cryophobia Cavern" could be in world 8 or 9 due to the difficulty, and etc.)
Ryrir wrote:A half-finished bridge?
I remember this was actually the plan (which can be seen in an old post if I'm correct). A better plan can exist though.
Ryrir wrote:World 8: I still don’t really know how this map is going to work in the finished hack. As far as I can see, it has two goals: Connecting the different submaps/creating shortcuts between them, and giving access to the yoshi house on the world 7 submap. Below is the only way I can see how the map would work out (red means given path from unlocking the star, green means the path that opens once the level is beaten). I can’t see how the map is supposed to work differently, so I don’t know how you are going to apply the “secret star” leading to the yoshi-house…
Yes, your hypothesis and the image are correct. In addition to this, the path between the star road and the yoshi's house(or bowser's castle) is already open. It's same as how "front door" shortcut works in the original smw. This would allow to speedrun this game. For example,
Some world 1 levels > Bastion in Blue(S) > Just Patterns > Disco Dance Party > Chains of Atrophy(S) > Disarray(or another level that fits speedrunner's course more) > Bowser's castle
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I completed World 9's map in place of ravegg because of his resignation.
w9.gif
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

That is certainly impressive looking with the animation, especially for vanilla.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who