(shouting)

The -OFFICIAL- What's Left to Be Done Thread

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
aterraformer

The -OFFICIAL- What's Left to Be Done Thread

Post by aterraformer »

New Years Resolution: Get 'er Done!!

After listening to some of worldpeace125's ports MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS HACK, I realized something. I need to get off my lazy ass and make damn sure this no longer sits in dev hell like Duke Nukem Forever then be released ten years later to "meh" reactions.

DA LIST
-People who need communication (unfinished levels)-
notgoodwithusernames (6), Franky (7), Neidave (E), anonymousbl00dlust (1A), Phoenix (10B), Neobullseye (10C), Xinn (10E), ganache nh (113), mellonpizza (23)

-Also unfinished (will contact personally)-
4 & 11C aterraformer, 14 MarkyJoe, 116 EvilGuy019

-Bowser & Real Final-
HUB areas (10D, 11D, submaps)
Bowser: A2 aterraformer, only 5 complete needs more
Real Final: Only 3 needs more

-Life Farms and Powerup Huts-
170-176

-Names Needed-
14 MarkyJoe

-Multiple Midpoints-
I'm not going to just start plopping midpoints in levels. Some levels in this hack could really benefit for making the entire experience savestateless for a wider audience. The idea of having an Easy Type and Hard Type with multiple midpoints and dragon coin saving on midpoints a la Yoshi's Island in mind.

PLEASE NOTE: If I don't receive any reply, I will PM. Still no reply? You run the risk of loosing your slot and if you have progress done, I will be forced to bump it down to JUMP Beta and it will not appear in the main game. I have to step up my game as the leader of this collab (ballin').

-Overworld-
World 7 needs a castle (possibly the SMB3 one which would need to be ripped I assume), World 8 needs remodeling to account for more levels (if applicable), World 9 needs to be made. All events will be complete after a steady list of levels is done

-Coding-
No Yoshi intro change/remove for those interested

-Graphics-
Now I am probably just going to scrap this idea as there was not enough interest but if there is enough people willing to donate time and ideas to the creation of VIP/ASMT-style sprite swaps, then we can still have a separate, ASCII Art version.

Feel free to add or subtract to this list by hitting that fancy little reply button. I know you want to.
Last edited by aterraformer 10 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
morsel/morceau

Re: The -OFFICIAL- What's Left to Be Done Thread

Post by morsel/morceau »

Remember the title screen. This image was the right kind of thing but someone who can do graphics needs to convert it

In a miraculous conincidence, I have been updating my levels to include things like switch blocks over the last couple of days. However, I'm not entirely sure where my levels come in to the game vis a vis the switch palaces so the switch blocks might end up being completely useless. Some clarification would be nice.
Daizo's Mario change
I provided everything for that. Please explain what the trouble is (if any).
dragon coins saved upon collecting the midpoint
The problem is you can't use the original dragon coins. You would need a seperate custom object for each. I'm of the opinion it would be something of a logistical nightmare. There's a patch on smwcental that does something similar but requires you to specify in the asm file the screen number and x position of every coin in the entire game. Obviously this is completely impracticable. There is probably a better way of going about it, but I still think a better solution would be simply revising levels to make them easier to collect (where necessary).
dont wanna jihad no more
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Speaking of the multiple midpoints patch, it isn't compatible with the newest Lunar Magics (2.20~) as far as I heard. I know that some things has been changed since 2.20. So which version are we going to use for the base rom?

Working with HUD is not hard for me now, since I recently did a little complex thing with it. Would you tell me what the problems are? So I can try to find a solution.

I have experience in making some bosses, but no final boss. If I really decide to take this work, how big should it be? or should I draw the graphic myself? I'm already getting afraid, especially because I have no drawing/dotting ability.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Thank you so much aterraformer for stepping back in to the project. I'm really glad it's getting off the ground again!

I'm in no way good at making graphics but I could try modifying specific common ones like the item box or something. I dunno; I'll get back to ya on if I'm able to do anything halfway decent.
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

Level 23 is open? Perfect, that's what I made mine on. I wish to claim it. My level is about 70% done, so I can finish it soon.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
GrimDarkening

Post by GrimDarkening »

morsel/morceau wrote:Remember the title screen. This image was the right kind of thing but someone who can do graphics needs to convert it

i uh tried
not sure if its any better
KingYoshi89

Post by KingYoshi89 »

GrimDarkening wrote:
morsel/morceau wrote:Remember the title screen. This image was the right kind of thing but someone who can do graphics needs to convert it

i uh tried
not sure if its any better
We were talking about in-game graphics but sure.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Most problems concerned with AddmusicK seem to have been fixed (or going to be). Check the AMK thread on SMWCentral.
I guess we can transfer from the temporary version (in which I rushed into fixing visible bugs myself) to the newest AMK.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

morsel/morceau wrote:I provided everything for that. Please explain what the trouble is (if any)
The problem is mostly that I haven't done anything with it and how I would implement it myself. Do I just patch it?
worldpeace125 wrote:Speaking of the multiple midpoints patch, it isn't compatible with the newest Lunar Magics (2.20~) as far as I heard. I know that some things has been changed since 2.20. So which version are we going to use for the base rom?
I unfortunately have made my last few saves in the newest version of Lunar Magic. I'm not sure if it matters but I know older hacks don't like being saved in newer LMs. I doubt the benefits outweigh the use of Multi Midpoints so if I can downgrade, I will.
worldpeace125 wrote:Working with HUD is not hard for me now, since I recently did a little complex thing with it. Would you tell me what the problems are? So I can try to find a solution.
I forget the exact problem but I know after I posted this, I got feedback to move the right section one space to the right. When I did that, I had trouble getting a lot of it appearing. I'm pretty sure the coin counter was one of them. Also, the dragon coin color would be kinda random. I'm not sure what color I actually want it though since the regular coin graphic. Maybe if it could be a little different? I'm not sure. Also, I would like Luigi's name color to be green but I never got that far. Lastly, the timer. I'm pretty sure you were able to set it up where it only appeared in levels with actual time?
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

aterraformer wrote:I forget the exact problem but I know after I posted this, I got feedback to move the right section one space to the right. When I did that, I had trouble getting a lot of it appearing. I'm pretty sure the coin counter was one of them. Also, the dragon coin color would be kinda random. I'm not sure what color I actually want it though since the regular coin graphic. Maybe if it could be a little different? I'm not sure. Also, I would like Luigi's name color to be green but I never got that far. Lastly, the timer. I'm pretty sure you were able to set it up where it only appeared in levels with actual time?
I can manage it. To implement mario/luigi palette color and the timer, hijacking the original SMW's asm is needed. It is the most convenient for me to provide a single patch for these changes (instead of using a HUD editor, since I don't know where it installs any custom code).

Inserting the multiple midpoints is really a chore. It needs not only mario's starting location, but the initial screen position of layer 1 and 2, slippery/water flag, etc by manually editing these with TEXT EDITOR for EVERY starting location. (There's another patch that uses secondary entrances as midpoints, but I'm not sure.)
I'd like to ask if anyone will use the multiple midpoints when possible. If no one but me is going to use them, it'll be quite excessive to add the patch.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

aterraformer wrote:
morsel/morceau wrote:I provided everything for that. Please explain what the trouble is (if any)
The problem is mostly that I haven't done anything with it and how I would implement it myself. Do I just patch it?
I included it in the main patch. There should be a file GFX_List.asm where you specify what graphics to use for mario for each level, but you just patch the main patch.

Multiple midpoints:

I have a patch + block combination working with the latest lm. It is user friendly in that once you have patched everything you just place the midway block/object in the level to use it. It doesn't have the full functionality of the other patch in that it just resets the level you spawn into from the ow, not allowing multiple resetting of the starting x/y mario position (I was planning to maybe try and incorporate that but I never got started). Example: If you place the block in sublevel 1cb of 105 and collect the custom midpoint then you spawn directly at the main entrance of 1cb from the ow when reentering the level.
dont wanna jihad no more
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

That's cool! Despite a fewer degree of freedom, I really like that you don't need to care about some text files. If the latest spawning before dying is from a secondary entrance, then does mario respawn at the secondary entrance?
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

worldpeace125 wrote:If the latest spawning before dying is from a secondary entrance, then does mario respawn at the secondary entrance?
No I'm afraid not, it justs resets the ow number. I should mention this is a modified version of ping's checkpoint.
dont wanna jihad no more
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Here's the HUD patch. This patch is based on Super Status Bar v2.1 by Kaijyuu.
Some notes:
- I don't recommend changing the HUD with an editor, since I cannot assure you that it's compatible with the patch. Please apply this patch only.
- This patch follows/depends on the policy of the time-up patch, but it is already included in our asar_patch.asm so it's okay.
- I added a function that allows to switch to another custom HUD which can be drawn by outer code in everywhere (custom sprites or levelasm). While the other HUD is presented, the original status bar and its related calculations(such as timer decrement) are hidden but constantly executed. This can be used for the HP bar of a boss.

About aesthetics, is this what you'd like? Dragon coins weren't captured. They will be represented as red coins for now.

Attachments
statusbar.zip
(5.12 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Neidave

Post by Neidave »

I´m really sorry but I´guess I´ll need to drop my level, as I´m quite busy with other things (including a Contest on SMWC, if I´m not even looking at private stuff) and wouldn´t be able to finsh it too soon!

Really: Sorry for that! :(
Neidave

Post by Neidave »

btw my way to try out SnesGFX:

Yeah it´s fail but it´s an amazing program nevertheless!
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

worldpeace:
Sorry I never got back to you on this, I guess I thought there was nothing for me to add. It looks how I want it and I really like that an HP bar can be added. I might still want to do something about the item box but I'm not sure what. Maybe something skinnier but I don't want to copy Anikiti.. or copy Anikiti I don't know haha.

One thing though, this should have already been patched a while ago but do I patch this separate or do I add it to asar_patch.asm?

edit: I just patched it separately and seems to work fine.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

aterraformer wrote:One thing though, this should have already been patched a while ago but do I patch this separate or do I add it to asar_patch.asm?
Both are fine.

If I use an HP bar like this: http://youtu.be/huGH8E0sUjY?t=4m5s
there's no room for the item box so the box is hidden. Is it okay if a player cannot see an item in the (hidden) box and if that item falls from nothing?
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

I want it shown, I just want the box to look different somehow.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

About the level who need to be filled, are they already placed on the overworld or not?
If not we can just skip them? not all the levels of the rom need to be done.
If yes, in what world are they?

Sorry for the lack of activity, I'm busy with my own romhack and another project, but I'm almost done. And once I finish them, I won't start a new one and spend my romhacking time on this collab.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

They don't need to be filled, I just figured since I'm doing such a swell job of finishing my levels and the other stuff that needs finishing, someone could make a level or two in the mean time if they wanted.
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

Progress is rather slow since I'm still in the process of breaking my laziness habits, but my level is 85-90% done. Also, It would fit best as one of the first levels in the lava overworld since I have a custom background of mountains with a red sky. Its difficulty would fit around there as well.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

For some reason I thought my level wasn't actually going to get added to this thing...
I'll try and find some time soonish to finish up the second portion of it.
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Pheonix wrote:For some reason I thought my level wasn't actually going to get added to this thing...
I'll try and find some time soonish to finish up the second portion of it.
I don't remember this, I only remember wanting you to improve the level.
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

It was just that for some reason I thought that I had submitted what I had of the level a bit too late into the thing, and never thought to check whether that was actually the case until just now.
In any case, all that needs to be done on it is get an actual design for the main sublevel, and to fill in the bits of ground on the main level, neither of which should take too long to do [once I actually get the time to do them].
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks