(shouting)

The -OFFICIAL- What's Left to Be Done Thread

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Re: The -OFFICIAL- What's Left to Be Done Thread

Post by mellonpizza »

I was thinking maybe we could modify smw in a way where the difficulty doesn't become a huge bother. I don't know exactly how death routines work, but you could possibly reduce the time it takes to respawn (Maybe even not going back the the OW immediately) on death and we could have a Meatboy-style hack that's difficult but dying isn't a big deal.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Suffering from semester is done so I can speed up the process.

Cleaning up the remaining ASM stuffs.
- Final boss done
- Saving the progress of dragon coins for each level done
- Fixing a glitch due to 7th submap patch - a tiny garbage tile randomly occurs (near W4 castle?) done
- Fixing the tweaked version of AMK - music doesn't reload after you die in the intro level (note that the original version doesn't have this problem. I just forgot to deal with the case when I modified the code) done
- Fixing buoyancy patch - description below
worldpeace125 wrote:I made a patch to minimize some lag due to layer 2 interaction or sprite buoyancy. When you check the second buoyancy option, this patch disables sprite/layer2 interaction more thoroughly than original and we can obtain better performance. (no changes in non-layer2 levels)
Also if you want to disable sprite/layer2 interaction but don't want buoyancy, check the both options. It will disable sprite/layer2 interaction and buoyancy as well. Since there are no existing levels checking all the buoyancy options, this patch doesn't make conflict.

Since layer 3(tide) interaction with sprites is considered similar as layer 2 interaction, tide-sprite interaction is also ignored in certain conditions when applying this patch, which causes significant problems in some levels.
done
- Multiple midpoint patch done
- and more?
Last edited by worldpeace125 9 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

I can do another level if one of the unfinished levels is declared free and you aren't completely against new levels being added.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

mellonpizza wrote:I can do another level if one of the unfinished levels is declared free and you aren't completely against new levels being added.
I honestly don't even know how to look at this. We lost a lot of morsel levels and he doesn't seem to be coming back but I'm just so damn far behind. I thought I was keeping up with things but I guess the last month and a half have been really productive and I just lost so much damn track. I started working again so my time diminished but I did barely anything for the like 6 months I was unemployed. I have no idea how to get this project in working condition anymore, no idea exactly what I have to do. My desktop is filled with folders of stuff I have to insert, it's kind of just a matter of getting myself to actually do it.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

aterraformer wrote:I honestly don't even know how to look at this. We lost a lot of morsel levels and he doesn't seem to be coming back but I'm just so damn far behind. I thought I was keeping up with things but I guess the last month and a half have been really productive and I just lost so much damn track. I started working again so my time diminished but I did barely anything for the like 6 months I was unemployed. I have no idea how to get this project in working condition anymore, no idea exactly what I have to do. My desktop is filled with folders of stuff I have to insert, it's kind of just a matter of getting myself to actually do it.
I started using a calendar to plan out each day (ex. work on JUMP for 2 hours at 5 pm.) to help control my ADHD and I can say that I feel much more productive and in control of myself. Now I don't know if you have ADHD or not, but I'm positive you could get a better grasp of controlling the collab if you organize time out of your day to catch up, work on levels, whatever you feel needs done.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

@aterraformer
You seems too busy to manage the base ROM and resources. Maybe I will do it for you after completing the boss if you don't mind, since I can keep track of most progresses which are made public in the forum.
YourFace

Post by YourFace »

so @worldpeace125, are you now the manager of the base rom?
(your response on claimability calamity made me wonder this)
-Derp-
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

No. What I said was just my supposition (or suggestion).
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

worldpeace125 wrote:@aterraformer
You seems too busy to manage the base ROM and resources. Maybe I will do it for you after completing the boss if you don't mind, since I can keep track of most progresses which are made public in the forum.
I have considered this myself. I just kinda don't know how to go about doing this and feel bad dumping this on you after all the work you have put into this hack already. I guess it would be for the best though...
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Inserting levels would be a relatively small overhead for me, if playing the levels at the same time. So I can gladly do it without troubles. You don't need to feel bad about it, since I have enjoyed working on this collab.

It contains some of greatest levels and ideas that you couldn't find from other hacks. I was able to meet some really good, unique level designers here. Also the strongest reason to keep working is maybe that this collab is the most similar to what I want - making levels as unique and fun as good VIP levels with vanilla graphics(keeping the original game's atmosphere is also my preference).

So, I can manage the base ROM in technical aspects if you want. Not saying that I'm going to be a leader, since my English is so slow and often wrong, which makes me afraid to do IRC.
YourFace

Post by YourFace »

good to know, I'll be sure to use fewer abbreviations of words on here... although I should probably do that for any forum that's likely to have non-native English speakers.
-Derp-
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

a new bug list
- levels where you can bring yoshi but the graphic of his tongue is broken / there's a boss battle not compatible with yoshi: specifically, level 05, 0A, 14, 10A, 11B, 11E, 121, 12D, 12F, 134. Regarding these, "no yoshi" intro could be added or the tongue GFX could be corrected.
- Sprite memory index issue exists in some levels, making some tiles of sprites missing.
- L/R + "autoscroll" glitch that freezes the game in some sublevels.
- (asm) a tiny garbage tile randomly occurs (near W4 castle)
- (asm) game rarely crashes during transition from level to level(or ow) on zsnes. It was assumed that it's probably due to AMK, but we have many hacks using AMK without the issue at this point. I think it's possible that other asm code isn't compatible. I'm open to all possibilities.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

Here's a list I have of things that need to be done:
Vital:
-Levels that are too hard
A: ask the author to revise the level themselves
B: edit the level if they can't seem to be contacted/don't care
C: Cut the level and use backup levels (i.e. koumei's fortress)
-Finish Multiperson levels
A: pm people to make more levels (Only as much as we need)
B: Maybe just use what we have.
-Judge difficulty of multiperson levels
-Fix random things (Cutoff, bugs, little things like that)

Non-Vital:
-Koopaling/Bowser multiperson bosses (As of now me and anonimzwx are the only ones doing this- other help could be appreciated
If there is any other factors I missed I can add to this list.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I could add some things into your list.

1. Overworld, specifically:
- Rearranging levels and considering some suggestions. I will post them on the overworld thread.
- Layer1/2 events. This will be just a routine which doesn't need opinion and can be done by anyone.
2. Hut levels (yoshi's house) containing bonus games. There was a plan to place a life farm for every 1~2 worlds, but the post was lost IIRC.
3. Title screen
4. Ending, though it can be vanilla.
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

worldpeace125 wrote:4. Ending, though it can be vanilla.
It would actually be cool if the backgrounds actually represented the ones in the levels if we're going for the "regular" Vanilla ending. That would require graphical resets if some of the levels require custom graphics, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal since I don't consider a lot of levels that use custom graphics at all.

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

(June 21, 2015)

1. New Levels which are going to be made
- Level E claimed by mellonpizzaDaizo (world 3)
- One sublevel for Bowser's castle claimed by mellonpizza
- EvilGuy0613
- anonymousbl00dlust

2. Levels said to be updated
- Mushroom Tripper by mellonpizza (world 5)
- Disco Dance Party by ravegg (world 8)

3. various minor tweaks needed
- There are only 4 dragon coins in "Shell Shrine".
- Ceiling problems in: level 3, 1F, 72(?), 10A(?), 10F, 11C(?), 135, 1CC (only some of them required fixing)
- Empty Castle Destruction Text (#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7): only #6 has text(wendy)
JUMP_00011.png
JUMP_00011.png (6.28 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
- Missing messages
-- (World 4) don't screw up, k, by Frozelar
JUMP_00005.png
JUMP_00005.png (8.79 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
-- (World 4) red switch(untitled) by cynderfyre
JUMP_00006.png
JUMP_00006.png (8.77 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
-- (World 6) Shell Shrine by aterraformer, lolyoshi
JUMP_00007.png
JUMP_00007.png (15.78 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
-- (World 8) Shell Sitter by cynderfyre
JUMP_00009.png
JUMP_00009.png (7.26 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
- Message box in the "Super Grand Ultra Marathon of Finalness" should be modified as the boss bass was tweaked.

4. Item storehouses
- Movies (will be done when all levels have nothing to change)
- Shop (will be applied when all overworld stuffs aren't unlocked)

5. Custom bosses
- Bowser: claimed by mellonpizza

6. Titlescreen
- Logo (need to replace "nintendo presents")
- Layer 3 title
- Demo play
- BGM (optional)

7. Ending, credits
- Credit list organization
- BGM (optional)

8. Overworld
- Complete World 9
- Events (after terrain and level placement is done)
Last edited by worldpeace125 8 years ago, edited 39 times in total.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Finally got a new controller, I will start my level(s) tonight!
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

worldpeace125 wrote:-- (World 7) Industrial Interior by Daizo
JUMP_00008.png
I thought that was fixed a long time ago, but here's the message again:

Code: Select all

-Daizo Speaks-  
Want    to    know
something,  Mario?
This   level  came
from  a  cancelled
hack         named
JDCGAMES COLLAB 2.
The more you know.
Hey BTW, I requested a "random" ASM code a while back for my "real final" subroom, and haven't heard since.
Edit: Nevermind, you know that already.

worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Daizo wrote:Hey BTW, I requested a "random" ASM code a while back for my "real final" subroom, and haven't heard since.
Edit: Nevermind, you know that already.
Teleportation

@Daizo
It's pretty complicated; requiring not only levelasm but also patches spaghettied with preexisting asm hacks. I'll upload the next base rom very fast (in 1-2 days) so you may not need to consider things related to asm except some things that need to be customized, for example, sfx and palette of mana bar.
You may use obstacles which are in the video, but be aware that they are just quickly made to show the physics and some applications; the difficulties of obstacles vary from easy to kaizo.

Have fun with it.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

Holy crap dude the amount of effort you're putting into this little project is unreal.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

How did you do that?!? It's freaking amazing!
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Thanks
.. and updated the todo list
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

Wow... when I said "random", that's far from expected. I'll definitely have a lot of fun experimenting with this (plus already have a couple ideas on how to introduce the mechanic). Just a question though: is this gimmick compatible with P-switches and the Infobox? I was thinking of using the info box to explain how the gimmick works, and I wanted to end the room off with a P-switch chase to the finish.

worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I suppose it is. Tell me if something doesn't work as you want. asm can modify most things which are simple.

When you are in the cast mode, p-switch timer would stop like the moment when getting powerups.
Also note that it's not possible to cast the magic when you're holding an item, riding yoshi, or passing through smb scrolling pipes, etc (situations that are ambiguous)
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

Alright, well I've tried it out and it's really fun to mess around... but I'm using the Regular and Purple Coins to show just when and when not to use the Cast mode, but warping in front of the coins results in the cast being "rejected" (like how it does with solid blocks). I've also tried it on the Arrow Signs, and they do the same thing, but I can easily fix that by claiming some map16 and making "Block 25" versions of them (if it works). The coins... that's a different story. The Regular coin is block 2B, and the Purple coin is Block 2C.

Example:
Player Reaction: Alright, I'll just place Mario here--
Player Reaction: Alright, I'll just place Mario here--
JUMP_00004.png (3.22 KiB) Viewed 7594 times
Player Reaction: AWW COME ON!
Player Reaction: AWW COME ON!
JUMP_00005.png (3.08 KiB) Viewed 7594 times
BTW, I tried the Message Box, and it works like a charm. ;)