(shouting)

JUMP Level Review Thread

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

JUMP Level Review Thread

Post by Frozelar »

Review JUMP levels here!

Make sure you have details in your review. Also remember to specify what level you're reviewing.
The dumb old fart wrote: That level sucked. Make it better.
That is not a good review.
The less dumb old fart wrote:Yoshi's Island 1 by Nintendo
I didn't enjoy that level. It felt like there was enemy spam everywhere, and at screen 0F the platform never spawns. There was a lot of boring flat land too. Try to add more variety! I did love the music and atmosphere, though.
That's better.
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Re: JUMP Level Review Thread

Post by lukaramu »

I think I'l do some reviews for this, maybe 1-2 a day, depends. Also, I'm just playing those in the baserom, because reasons.

105 by aterraformer (version as in baserom 0.32):
-Overall, I like the level, but I think it shouldn't be a 1-1, it feels more like a 2-1 or so (for example, it feels like there is a muncher at every second ledge D:)
-If you assume the player may not know how to jump, then why requires the message box that tells you how to jump to jump to activate it?
-At the section with the angel block, I think you should put the angel block 1-2 blocks further right
105 aterraformer 02.png
-At the warp to the underground midpoint area, you warp in about 4-5 blocks too low
105 aterraformer 03.png
-You can get stuck there when bringing a shell and kill the red Parakoopa, hence you get stuck and can't die because there is nothing you can get hurt and there is no time limit
105 aterraformer 01.png
-I think the football chuck with the tight corridor is too much for a 1-1
105 aterraformer 04.png
-Also, I think the midpoint is lopsided
e: fixed images and clarified something
Last edited by lukaramu 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Just saying, the message box telling you how to jump was probably just a joke. Also please excuse my bashing of your review, but I kinda feel like the level is a mighty fine 1-1. I do agree with you that the football kicking guy is a bit too much though. Maybe he should either be moved to the right a little so he just kicks into the lava, or maybe he should be replaced entirely. Also the midpoint isn't THAT lopsided.

None of the pictures show up in your post, by the way.
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

Silly, they show up for me... I'll try to fix it. Also, I tend to "overreview" everything, but I think that's better than nothing :P

Also, everything difficulty-wise is just guessed because I didn't play that many.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Yeah, even if it's a VIP style game, I think this is a bit too hard for 1-1. Even the VIP games have some pretty easy levels at the start (that contrast with the super hard levels at the end).
LukaRamu, imo all the things you said doesn't really need to be changed, except the fact that you can get stuck. Even if it's a low quality hack, you should never get stuck. At least put a muncher or something so you can kill yourself.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

I've been meaning to put another secondary exit in the level so you cannot get stuck. I may move the angel block a tile or two left and the chuck right a tile. Besides that, there isn't much I want to do with it. Everything else was intentionally joking for the misnomer feel of the hack. I do still want it at 1-1 but if everyone is in agreeance that it is too hard for that, I could make it 2-1 unless something else is made better by you guys that a prefer for that place.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Springity Sproing by XutaWoo
Heh, you didn't need to name the readme "This level is", I just did it because I was being stupid

Anyways, as far as the level itself, it was nice, fun, and simple.
This part, which is on screen 06, is a blind jump.
Another blind jump here on screen 11.
Here, sprites get screwed up sometimes. Setting the sprite header to 10 fixes this.

Good job!
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Thanks! I'll whip up some quick fixes to those problems, though ...
I don't quite get what you mean by this. Do you mean to get to the coin and the boxes? If so, then they're supposed to hint towards the mushroom there. Also, you're supposed to jump from the spinning platform.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

-Bastion in Blue by BLD-
I thought your level was cool and a good fit for the world 1 castle (I'm not sure if world 1 will have enough levels a midfort thing). If you would like it here, though, some changes need to be made. First of all you have many switch blocks along the level. Considering I doubt any switch palaces with be in world 1, unless this is a joke thing I would like them removed. Secondly, I do not like the method of getting the third dragon coin for world 1. I didn't realize how to get it until I opened up in lunar magic, not to mention the backtracking it involves. I also think the fourth dragon coin is way too hard for this world. Also, what's up with the secondary entrance? It seems to be just wasting a slot. I really did like the boo battle though, and with the no sprite limits patch it will look fine.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Bastion in Blue by BLD
That was probably one of the best levels I've played lately. The level design is just great. I love the way the blue blocks are incorporated into the level, like with the way you get the dragon coin at the midpoint by making the skeleton fall with the blue blocks. The level is very fun.

On screen 09, it seems like it might be a little extreme to expect the player to know to ride up the thwomp. Maybe if you put some coins towards the top by the thwomp or something.

Also, is the top section with the tunnel of coins actually used for anything? Just curious.

At the big boo boss fight, one of the springboards consistently has half of it missing. Changing the sprite memory header thing doesn't seem to fix the issue either. Maybe you could replace the springboards with noteblocks or something, if possible? Or maybe not. It's a very very minor issue, after all.

EDIT: Oh man it's such a coincidence how me and aterraformer reviewed the same level and almost the same time!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyways, I agree with pretty much everything aterraformer said, except for one thing. I honestly really liked the way you got the third dragon coin. In my opinion, it should be left as it is, but he has a much bigger say in it than I do so yep.
BLD

Post by BLD »

aterraformer wrote:-Bastion in Blue by BLD-
I thought your level was cool and a good fit for the world 1 castle (I'm not sure if world 1 will have enough levels a midfort thing). If you would like it here, though, some changes need to be made. First of all you have many switch blocks along the level. Considering I doubt any switch palaces with be in world 1, unless this is a joke thing I would like them removed. Secondly, I do not like the method of getting the third dragon coin for world 1. I didn't realize how to get it until I opened up in lunar magic, not to mention the backtracking it involves. I also think the fourth dragon coin is way too hard for this world. Also, what's up with the secondary entrance? It seems to be just wasting a slot. I really did like the boo battle though, and with the no sprite limits patch it will look fine.
Awesome, thanks! I realize the switch blocks likely won't be pressed at this point, but why should I remove them? I don't think they really do much harm, other than maybe clash with the blue color scheme a bit. I'm not asking to be argumentative, I'm just trying to learn from my my mistakes.

Third dragon coin to be discussed below.

The fourth dragon coin is too hard? How so? All you do is take a throw block and throw it at the koopa.

Secondary entrance also discussed below.
Frozelar wrote:Bastion in Blue by BLD
That was probably one of the best levels I've played lately. The level design is just great. I love the way the blue blocks are incorporated into the level, like with the way you get the dragon coin at the midpoint by making the skeleton fall with the blue blocks. The level is very fun.

On screen 09, it seems like it might be a little extreme to expect the player to know to ride up the thwomp. Maybe if you put some coins towards the top by the thwomp or something.

Also, is the top section with the tunnel of coins actually used for anything? Just curious.

At the big boo boss fight, one of the springboards consistently has half of it missing. Changing the sprite memory header thing doesn't seem to fix the issue either. Maybe you could replace the springboards with noteblocks or something, if possible? Or maybe not. It's a very very minor issue, after all.

EDIT: Oh man it's such a coincidence how me and aterraformer reviewed the same level and almost the same time!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyways, I agree with pretty much everything aterraformer said, except for one thing. I honestly really liked the way you got the third dragon coin. In my opinion, it should be left as it is, but he has a much bigger say in it than I do so yep.
Okay, so for the third coin, what if I put a coin trail up as a hint, removed the spiked pillars around the thwomp, and moved the passageway so that you go forward a bit and skip some of the level, instead of having to backtrack?

The springboard thing was brought up already, and if aterraformer and I are correct, it shouldn't be an issue when inserted into the actual JUMP rom with the 'no sprite limit' patch. If it is, I can change the boss.

Now, for the secondary entrance. The trick is, there's a pipe under those two springboards in the boss room. You need to duck into the pipe after killing boo (which removes all sprites) but before the level ends. It's insanely obscure, but I thought it was kinda clever, so instead of making it a secret exit or a dragon coin, I just gave the player some free lives. I wasn't really considering the fact that exits/entrances are a limited resource in a collab, though, so I can just get rid of it, or move the pipe up one tile so that people might actually find it.

Seriously though, thanks for the feedback, both of you! And again, when I'm asking questions about your critiques, I'm not trying to defend my level, just trying to learn!
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

BLD wrote:The fourth dragon coin is too hard? How so? All you do is take a throw block and throw it at the koopa.
because I'm a moron and over think things. It's fine.
BLD wrote:Okay, so for the third coin, what if I put a coin trail up as a hint, removed the spiked pillars around the thwomp, and moved the passageway so that you go forward a bit and skip some of the level, instead of having to backtrack?
Sounds good to me, just not too far forward.
BLD wrote:Now, for the secondary entrance. The trick is, there's a pipe under those two springboards in the boss room. You need to duck into the pipe after killing boo (which removes all sprites) but before the level ends. It's insanely obscure, but I thought it was kinda clever, so instead of making it a secret exit or a dragon coin, I just gave the player some free lives.
I never would have thought of that! That's really awesome! I would have it lead to a secret exit but maybe hint at it later on in the hack or something. If make future level(s) (which I hope you do) you can consider putting a text somewhere. It's not necessary, I just like that idea a whole lot!
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

BLD, please make more stuff for JUMP
Thank you.
BLD wrote:Now, for the secondary entrance. The trick is, there's a pipe under those two springboards in the boss room. You need to duck into the pipe after killing boo (which removes all sprites) but before the level ends. It's insanely obscure, but I thought it was kinda clever, so instead of making it a secret exit or a dragon coin, I just gave the player some free lives. I wasn't really considering the fact that exits/entrances are a limited resource in a collab, though, so I can just get rid of it, or move the pipe up one tile so that people might actually find it.
Wow, that's really clever! I like the idea aterraformer suggested also.
BLD wrote:Seriously though, thanks for the feedback, both of you! And again, when I'm asking questions about your critiques, I'm not trying to defend my level, just trying to learn!
Don't worry about challenging critiques, it goes on way too much here anyways
BLD

Post by BLD »

Here's some more pics showing the new thwomp place, plus where the 3rd dragon coin path drops you off (~2 screens ahead)

1st picture (left) : I'm probably gonna change this a bit so that everything isn't just a castle brick, but ignoring that for a second, do the coins + lack of spikes make the secret a bit less subtle?

2nd picture (right) 3 things here: First is the new drop-off point from the 3rd dragon coin. Second, I added another koopa next to the 4th durgon coin so that hopefully silly people don't try to play a really tricky timing game. Third... would anybody miss that silly drybones trapped in blue throw blocks if I replaced him with something else? As in, redesigning that entire obstacle. I don't think he adds much to the level, in hindsight. Of course, the new obstacle would still have throw blocks so that you can get the 4th dragon coin.

As for the secret exit thingy, like I said, I didn't make it one because I thought it was too tricky, and because the rules say not to put the secret exits at the end of the levels. But, if the idea has both of your blessings, I'll do it!

Also, yes, I'd love to make more levels for JUMP :D
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

BLD wrote: 1st picture (left) : I'm probably gonna change this a bit so that everything isn't just a castle brick, but ignoring that for a second, do the coins + lack of spikes make the secret a bit less subtle?
I honestly didn't see a problem with the megaspikes to begin with, but yeah that looks fine too.
BLD wrote:2nd picture (right) 3 things here: First is the new drop-off point from the 3rd dragon coin.
Seems fine to me!
BLD wrote:Second, I added another koopa next to the 4th durgon coin so that hopefully silly people don't try to play a really tricky timing game.
Once again, I didn't see a problem with this to begin with, but if you want it that way then sure.
BLD wrote:Third... would anybody miss that silly drybones trapped in blue throw blocks if I replaced him with something else? As in, redesigning that entire obstacle. I don't think he adds much to the level, in hindsight. Of course, the new obstacle would still have throw blocks so that you can get the 4th dragon coin.
I would miss it, unless the new obstacle is similar. But once again it's your level and I'm not gonna try to go all communist on you.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

BLD:
I like all the changes and if you feel the need to change that one obstacle you could but it's not need. For the secret, this one would bend the rules a bit since it's creative and the level wouldn't be much to go through again. Also, the secret would probably be gotten after playing one of your later levels so I'm more lenient about it.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Bad english, but let me review some levels submitted lately.

Horse Eating Disorder
I like the concept of eating berries and extending the time limit.
There are some slowdowns, but it will be solved by applying the "FastROM" patch.
Overall, nice vanilla flavor. Good job!

About the difficulty.. It is interesting that the midway point cannot be helpful in that the timer returns to 15 after death. After the bridge segment, I was surprised that keeping yoshi was not easy. I think the reason was unexpected diagonal bullets or the ambiguous hit box of yoshi. After losing yoshi I had to feed another yoshi to eat the 3 green berries, and it was too tight.
That part and the last flying part was challenging.

Economic Path
First, I want to remind that the time of mole jumping out depends on the submap.
The below part was too tough for me. I died there over 50%. (Maybe I sucked)

At screen 04, I managed to pass the high vertical pipe by yoshi jumping. I realized there was an invisible coin block after opening the level with lunar magic.

Other than that, each segment is designed well. Nice level with various fun obstacles.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Here's come my super great review!!!!!!!!
who is actually more like a glitch report but whatever.

ANGRY FISH
This level is good.
The underground part with the porcupuffer is harder than the rest of the level.
Way better than my originally fish level, I will found another idea then.

ECONOMIC PATH
A nice level. Nothing more to say.
About what worldpeace125 said, the number of hammers throw by the hammer bro also depend if its the main map or a submap.
And personally this part didn't gave me any trouble, went past it on my first try.

HORSE EATING DISORDER
There's too many green berries before the midpoint that disadvantage the player. When I took the midpoint I had 105 time so if I died I went back to 15. Remove some berries so that when you get the midpoint you have 30~40 time at best so it's not a big disadventage.
Also wasn't there supposed to have a mushroom on the red yoshi egg? Cause if I lose yellow yoshi and go to the red egg Yoshi is only baby and can't fly.
Maybe it didn't spawned? Like that crossfire bullet generator that almost never shoot. What is that? Sprite limitations?
Try changing the sprite memory (lakitu icon) to 10.

BASTION IN BLUE
Fill the bottom row, although most people think you don't see it ingame, actually you do, it overflows of 1 pixels on emulators. See
SuperMarioWorld_U000.png
Also the candle sprite is missing. Add sprite E6 at the beginning and at the midpoint. Or edit the BG to remove the animation above the candles.
The springboard still glitch. And that boss is pretty easy.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
A good level.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Didn't read any previous reviews so I might repeat some stuff other people have said, but anyways

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
I loved the humor in the level. BYD, your creativity continues to impress me! That was a really fun level.

I love the subtlety of the hint about the secret exit of Bastion in Blue. However, I wonder if it's actually TOO subtle?

How are you supposed to get this dragon coin? Are you expected to spinjump off the chainsaw to the right? If so, I find that very difficult to do. I would suggest you lower the chainsaw a bit. Actually, lowering the chainsaw and maybe adding a ceiling above that could also force the player to koopa hop to get past that part, which personally I think would be kind of neat.

Also how are you supposed to read this message box without taking a hit? Did I miss a yoshi or silver POW somewhere? EDIT: Oh, I get it! If you have the yellow switch, you can use the rocks to read it. Clever!

Great job, BLD!

Horse Eating Disorder
That was a very fun and simple level, luigiman! I really do like how there are quite a lot of green berries provided, but I kind of feel like maybe there are too many. I dunno.

Also, make sure you change the sprite header to 10. That might fix the problem I was having with the bullet generator almost never spawning.

Great job overall!

Angry Fish
I loved the gimmick of that level. It was pretty fun. The only issue I really had was that I could never seem to get past this guy without taking a hit. Maybe you could re-position him a little higher or something so he's not quite so dang hard to get past. Good job on the level.

Economic Path
Good job Kingyoshi, this level was pretty fun. The only problem I had with it was that this jump was really hard for me, especially with Yoshi. But oh well, good job!
BLD

Post by BLD »

Frozelar wrote:Didn't read any previous reviews so I might repeat some stuff other people have said, but anyways

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
I loved the humor in the level. BYD, your creativity continues to impress me! That was a really fun level.

I love the subtlety of the hint about the secret exit of Bastion in Blue. However, I wonder if it's actually TOO subtle?

How are you supposed to get this dragon coin? Are you expected to spinjump off the chainsaw to the right? If so, I find that very difficult to do. I would suggest you lower the chainsaw a bit. Actually, lowering the chainsaw and maybe adding a ceiling above that could also force the player to koopa hop to get past that part, which personally I think would be kind of neat.

Also how are you supposed to read this message box without taking a hit? Did I miss a yoshi or silver POW somewhere? EDIT: Oh, I get it! If you have the yellow switch, you can use the rocks to read it. Clever!

Great job, BLD!
Yeah, I was wondering if the hint was too subtle, as well, but I think it'll work. I mean, the player has to question why such a message would even be there in the first place, and from there the meaning should be obvious. Especially since I made it such a pain to see the message. BUT, maybe I'll slip in a super-blatant hint in a lategame level.

That dragon coin is supposed to be gotten by spinjumping on those rocks in the prior segment. It was supposed to be a 'branching paths but not really' where the player can choose to hop along the fences or spin jump to the dragon coin. But yes, I put the chainsaw there so that a determined player could essentially tank a hit to get the coin, anyway. And I tried doing what you suggested with the turtle hopping, but moving the chainsaw any lower makes it a pain to dodge, even if you jump off the turtle. As it is , the player can do whichever they think is easiest, which I think is fair as I imagine this level to be early-mid game. Personally, I think most people will go for the turtle hop anyway. But, I think I'll lower that muncher that follows by a block or two, to get players to turtle hop there.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Musical Grasslands
Make sure you include the .mwl files and a readme which describes everything, just like the OP in the submissions thread explains!

Anyways, the level itself was nice, simple, and charming. The section with the line-guided platform seemed kind of random, but it's not really a big deal. I feel like it might be too much effort for a dragon coin and a life. Maybe you could make it a secret exit or something instead? I dunno, just throwing out ideas

Good job!
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Ravegg's Level
I enjoyed the level, it had a lot of clever parts. But some other parts... well, not so much.

First off, why would you give a powerup, then immediately afterwards put a one-block-high gap? I think that should be raised to two blocks high.

The first time I got to this part, I didn't realize you wanted me to spin jump off the sparky and I just jumped down into the hole because I thought the coins were indicating a note block or something down there. That was probably just my stupidity rather than an issue with the level itself, though. You change it if you want to but I don't see it being a big issue.

This is a very minor issue, but there's cutoff in the tree leaves canvas thing there. These are screens 0F-10 by the way.

I found this jump extremely annoying to pull off. I feel like the muncher should be removed from the platform or something.

These gaps are too large, even with R-scrolling. I had to jump way to the right with the screen scrolled to get a fireball to spawn, and jumping to get it to spawn killed me many times. These gaps should be shortened by two or three blocks at least, or maybe more. I think you should just shorten the gaps enough so that you don't have to jump to the right to get the fireballs to spawn.

As far as music, you'd probably be best off asking aterraformer.

Other than that I found the level very enjoyable, great job Ravegg!
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Get the normal exit
This is a really fun clever level. Looks like the repeating key sfx is making fun of me, and I liked the goal segment so much. Well done!
I think the difficulty is not a problem since it's doable after practice. To me, the 4th and 5th room is easier than the before ones.
In the 4th room, how about place some markers to prevent players from falling blindly?
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Yay, resurrection of Talkhaus!

Here, I give you a review that I recently made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMkkry7Ruh4

e: As I mentioned in the video's description, I made this video public for a reason.
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Thanks for the review! I'm pretty sure I uploaded a version that is easier at some point but since many posts no longer exist I'll have to see if I still have it somewhere.

I don't think anyone has found the easy way to get through the goomba jump section yet! (I've forgotten if I changed it) If you kick a goomba at the bubble goomba to the right, the bubble goomba will fall straight down when its bubble pops.

That disappearing platform is pretty unfortunate... I never had that happen before.

EDIT: I found the easier version!
Attachments
Updates.zip
(9.66 KiB) Downloaded 100 times