(shouting)

-RULES- *it's very important you follow them*

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
aterraformer

-RULES- *it's very important you follow them*

Post by aterraformer »

-Rules-
1)This is a mostly vanilla hack. World 1 levels must be completely vanilla. By world 2, custom music is allowed. By world 3, custom palettes (beyond map16 provided) are allowed. By world 7, you may use SMB1 or SMB3 All-Stars graphics. Some SMB2 Doki may be used but that's up to me to decide
2)World 2 you may also start using limited custom sprites. If it's from SMB3, I'll probably allow it. I have provided Hammer Bros, Boomerang Bros, and various Piranhas so have fun
3)No custom boss sprites. You are encouraged to modify vanilla boss arenas, however. Make sure it is beatable and not glitched to shit. ABSOLUTELY NO ARBITRARY DIFFICULTY OF THE MAKING BOSSES TAKE MORE DAMAGE ALLOWED
4)Levels must be possible to beat without tools. If you cannot beat your level in this way due to a matter of playing experience or time restrain, inform me and I shall take a swing at it. If I feel it is too hard I will make you fix things or downright reject the level.
5)Just because I have no sprite limitation on, do not use this as an excuse to enemy spam. Use sprites strategically.
6)7 main worlds, 2 "post-game" worlds, 2 levels that will be multi-person "Bowser Castle" type levels.
7)Dragon coins are an integral part of this hack and will be used for something special. 5 coins or 0 coins nothing in between or beyond. World 9 will not have dragon coins.
8)Secret exits shall not exist at the end of the level unless you have two completely different paths. This includes putting the key at the end and dragging it through the level backwards.

-Recommendation-
1)Sprite header set to 10 for use of the No Sprite Tile Limitation patch. If you are having issues with it, don't use.
2)I would like to only display time in levels that need it so if you are not using the time for anything, set to 0
Last edited by aterraformer 10 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Dayfinder

Re: -RULES- *it's very important you follow them*

Post by Dayfinder »

This is sounding good, even from the rules :P
My avatar is cloudy with a chance of babies.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

aterraformer wrote:9)Sprite header 10, Time set to 0
Heeeeeeee? These are rules? Are there obligatory?
But I like my time limit. Sure time limit should be 0 for huge level and puzzle/labyrinth levels, but for normal levels a time limit is fine.
And sprite header 10 should be recommended but nor obligatory since there's still a small amount of sprite that doesn't cooperate well with the nospritetilelimit patch.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

yogui wrote:
aterraformer wrote:9)Sprite header 10, Time set to 0
Heeeeeeee? These are rules? Are there obligatory?
But I like my time limit. Sure time limit should be 0 for huge level and puzzle/labyrinth levels, but for normal levels a time limit is fine.
And sprite header 10 should be recommended but nor obligatory since there's still a small amount of sprite that doesn't cooperate well with the nospritetilelimit patch.
Yeah, I agree. I feel like that rule should be a guideline rather than an obligatory rule. I just did a comparison in Siberian Precipice, and with the sprite header at 10, it does okay, but there are random little half-second-long slowdowns here and there, whereas with it at 00, I don't really notice any turbulence. Also, I feel like with as short and easy as my level is, the 500 second time limit shouldn't really matter.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I'm digging this idea.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Yeah, I added that late last night. It's not a rule since I know there are a few levels that utilize time but I would like to figure out a way to only display it during those levels.

As for the sprite header to 10, this is more of a recommendation for using the No Sprite Limits patch and I'm not sure why it would cause issues.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
TRS

Post by TRS »

The definition of vanilla varies from person to person. You should include a definition of "completely vanilla" as it pertains to this project.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

TRS wrote:The definition of vanilla varies from person to person. You should include a definition of "completely vanilla" as it pertains to this project.
Well, I try to explain it but saying what is excepted later but I guess it would just mean no custom music, palettes (beyond map16 standard), graphics, sprites, or blocks. Heavy map16 beyond palettes and flipping stuff might be also a thing. Things like piranha plants I'm fine with for some reason however. If you need more specification then by all means let me know what you need to know.