(shouting)

-Main Discussion (FINALLY Updated Base ROM Here) Thread-

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
worldpeace125

Re: -Main Discussion (FINALLY Updated Base ROM Here) Thread-

Post by worldpeace125 »

JUMP v1.39

Changelog

A quick update. Your sram and savestates for old versions won't be compatible with this.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

A thing that I noticed while playing and that I think is kind of weird is how every level has their own design of reset doors/pipes.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have one global design for them and apply it on every level in the hack so that the player immediatly knows if the pipe/door is a reset one or not? Maybe we could have one unique color for them or a special design like the doors in ASMT? Or just have the "recycle"-sign on them or a big "R" or whatever, it doesn't really matter, as long as it's constant throughout the hack. The reason for this is that while some designers actually mark their reset/doors, others do not and it can be frustrating to enter one by mistake and having to restart a segment again. Also it could be weird to have one level mark their reset pipes one way and the very next level in a completely different way.

Thoughts?
this is getting laundromatic
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I agree with you, though some effort is required for this chore.
In addition to it, it will be good to make "MarioOnlyPass" blocks and "SpriteOnlyPass" blocks consistent. Their colors and sometimes even their graphics change depend on the level. Some of these blocks can sometimes be confused with invisible coin blocks(in a few levels, dotted tiles stand for invisible blocks) or actual switch palace blocks. Maybe they're not confusing as much as the reset doors.

Also it would be nice to have dotted dragon coins for indicating which (permanent) DCs you obtained like A2MT for example. So players can keep track of the locations of the old ones when they hunt for remaining DCs.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I know I once expressed interest and then balked out due to time restraint and inspiration, but, if I were interested in making a level for this, maybe, is there still room for it? The threads are a bit hard to follow for someone just kinda falling in here, haha
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

raocow wrote:I know I once expressed interest and then balked out due to time restraint and inspiration, but, if I were interested in making a level for this, maybe, is there still room for it? The threads are a bit hard to follow for someone just kinda falling in here, haha
Oh right, I remember you claimed a level before.

Currently all level slots are reserved, but it's possible to accommodate three or four more levels (nowadays sublevels can be entered from overworld so they can be used as level slots). Since it became harder to place levels overworldwise, I would ask which world/difficulty your level will be aimed for in advance.

Here's a list of worlds.
World 1 - generic theme
World 2 - generic(beach)
World 3A - ice
World 3B - cave
World 4 - generic(mountain)
World 5 - sky
World 6 - forest
World 7 - magma, fire
Star World - any theme(ow: night meadow). Some of the hardest levels are assembled here, harder than Extra in general.
Extra - any theme(ow: dream land). From mildly hard levels to the great challenge(real final)
When you begin on your level, you could use any of level enterable from OW (e.g. level 7). You will need it for testing the level yourself. After I receive level files, I will move the new level to an empty sublevel.
Regarding other resources, you are able to use any empty slots for music, sprites, etc. If any conflict happens, I'd shift resources to other empty rooms. But map16 should be treated more carefully. I would give page 28 to the first person who demends map16 slots.

Finally, I expect all levels to be completed around June begins(so after that we can complete the overworld and start alpha/beta testing), though it isn't a strict deadline and the due date can be extended flexibly if some people require more time.

Yeah, that's how things are done recently. Feel free to contact me for the further information.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Speaking of the June deadline, maybe we should send out some sort of "mass-pm" reminding people who claimed stuff that it would be nice if we heard from them? Maybe we could invite them to post here in the discussion thread and say if they are still working on their level or room and weither they plan to finish it or not. After that, if we still haven't heard from them in June/July, we could discuss reopening their slots...
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Ryrir wrote:maybe we should send out some sort of "mass-pm" reminding people
I'm thinking of doing this after I report issues on some of multiperson sublevels.
Not only asking about the progress of the unfinished levels, but I should also check several things like whether your username for the credit is correct(case sensitive), whether you would like to update your level, etc.
Ryrir wrote:After that, if we still haven't heard from them in June/July, we could discuss reopening their slots...
I'd like to have the project finished before the middle of June just because I will not be able to take time for this longer than that. Certainly the number of levels will never be insufficient on that day.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

JUMP v1.40

Changelog

Certainly every update was reflected in this rom.

Note that "double spinjump antifail" patch was applied. If you encounter any problem with the patch, I will discard it.
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

Man, this looks so close to a finished project now ^_^
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Looks awesome! I also claim 10D because I feel like it.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

Nin wrote:Looks awesome! I also claim 10D because I feel like it.
10D is already being used by morsel/morceau.

Also I don't believe we can take any more level slots since it's difficult adding new level places on the maps and we have more than enough levels. Only thing we could need off the top of my head is custom bosses for the fortresses but that requires extensive asm.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

If possiable I'll claim level 13E then. If nothing else can be added, that's ok.
Last edited by Heraga 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

I have level E claimed.

You do know there's a list showing filled/claimed slots, right? It's in progress report (More recent) and/or Claimability Calamity.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Noticed how I edited my post to say 13E before you posted. I realized that after checking ^^.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Nin wrote:If possiable I'll claim level 13E then. If nothing else can be added, that's ok.
yeah... as mellonpizza said, overworld planning is a nonnegligible issue. And I'd like to make the number of exits NOT exceed 124, otherwise I need to code another huge ASM for extra OW events which is beyond 0x77 and cannot be edited with Lunar Magic. Currently three more yellow levels(or 1 yellow and 1 red levels) can be accepted, but they are already all reserved. See the "Unsettled" row (spoiler alert)
Sorry for that

Also let the base rom not be buried in a previous page. (ctrl+c/v)
--------------------------------------
JUMP v1.40

Changelog

Certainly every update was reflected in this rom.

Note that "double spinjump antifail" patch was applied. If you encounter any problem with the patch, I will discard it.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Could I maybe claim something for the Real Final then?
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Nin wrote:Could I maybe claim something for the Real Final then?
Probably not. All claimable things are fully occupied and most of them were already done.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

I can give you my room B7
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Jolpengammler wrote:I can give you my room B7
In my opinion, it's not a good idea to have more sublevels for real final now.
It has 12 completed rooms. And the number of them is (probably more than) enough already, especially when the difficulty is considered. All the B0~BF slots could have been filled if they were not too hard and not too long. However, those completed rooms turned out to be pretty exhausting for common players, so I thought it would be better to change the original plan(not sure whether aterraformer wanted all 16 sublevels to be filled, or maybe he also intended "first come first served"?)
I think having rooms more than that + long boss battle would be way beyond what a single level could be(though I'm willing to make the boss a bit easier)
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

"Gourmet Hindrance" crashes consistantly on screen 13 for me in the latest baserom.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

oh well alright then, just wanted to be helpful :)
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Jolpengammler wrote:oh well alright then, just wanted to be helpful :)
It was kinda unfortunate that we couldn't have more levels due to some reasons, but thanks anyway ^-^
Ryrir wrote:"Gourmet Hindrance" crashes consistantly on screen 13 for me in the latest baserom.
Thanks for the report. I will proofread the codes which can be relevant to the section, but I cannot reproduce the crash. Could you give me a record(smv or zmv) as you constantly observe the glitch? or could you describe the circumstances? (such as which emulator was used or if you were using a savestate generated from an older base rom. they are potentially meaningful things that I can think of right now) That would be very helpful.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

I used the latest ZSNES with the "150 thing" that you pointed out in the review thread. (Thanks for that by the way, no more slowdown really makes a huge difference)

I wasn't using any savestates from an older rom. Basically what happened was that the screen froze, the background went black (foreground stayed in colour), but the music was still playing. This always accured on screen 13, while jumping between the fishes to the gray platform.

I don't really know how to record these movies, but if you still think that it would be helpful, I can give it a try.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Ryrir wrote:I wasn't using any savestates from an older rom. Basically what happened was that the screen froze, the background went black (foreground stayed in colour), but the music was still playing. This always accured on screen 13, while jumping between the fishes to the gray platform.
From hearing what was happening, I strongly feel that the glitch was the result from the code jumping to the unexpected place(mostly due to wrong 8/16bit mode or stack imbalance), but I still cannot make it happen myself.
I don't really know how to record these movies, but if you still think that it would be helpful, I can give it a try.
It would be great if possible. To record, go to MISC > MOVIE OPT in the menu bar then choose "record from now". It will create a zmv file which is playable for everyone who has the exact same rom. Just so you know.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

There you go

I know that I would have lost anyways but this is basically what happens everytime, even if I get there with yoshi.