(shouting)

-Main Discussion (FINALLY Updated Base ROM Here) Thread-

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
aterraformer

Re: -Main Discussion Discoursition Thread-

Post by aterraformer »

worldpeace125 wrote:I opened the base rom v0.32 with lunar magic and I've just noticed FastROM patch isn't enabled yet. The patch would reduce slowdown a bit, especially in the disco-light cave(Level 1CC).
So, why not?
Honestly: I forgot. Will do!
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
aterraformer

Re: -Main Discussion Discoursition Thread-

Post by aterraformer »

I think JUMP deserves a section like this
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
aterraformer

Re: -Main Discussion Discoursition (Base ROM Here) Thread-

Post by aterraformer »

Raise your hand if you didn't think this would be out so soon. (it's base ROM v.40!)

Note: I forgot to put the very last level (13B) set to "no dragon coins" but considering the sprite limitation effects in that level haha. I haven't heard from Isrieri in a while, so I just fixed it up for him as much as I could.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

I made a few tweaks to the Base ROM so hopefully it will work better and also include another Jolpe level. It's a lot easier than that endgame one I still never beat :lol:
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

When you load a level from mwl file, the secondary exits whose destination are that level were recorded in the file and they will be overwritten. In level 8 by Isocitration (08.mwl and 80.mwl), it is the secondary exists #000~#006 that are used and hide behind #080~#086. (This is why we cannot see those with lm at a glance.) It makes #000~#006 lead to wrong destinations, for every time you open 08.mwl/80.mwl and save them to the ROM. So if there is a next version of the level, #000~#006 should not be in the file.
Currently (v.41) #001~#005 lead to level 8 or 80, and should be fixed.
aterraformer wrote:
worldpeace125 wrote:I guess it's because of the fastrom patch.
Should I remove this or is there something else I should use?
There is another speed-up patch: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=4538
I have no idea how much those patches make the game faster.
If the patch turns out to be REALLY needed for many people, then I think authors of levels ruined by the patch should modify their levels. Otherwise removing it is the solution, but are there any easy methods to recover?
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Did the updated level files I sent not get inserted or something? I made sure I deleted those unused secondary entrances.

Also if my level is unplayable with the fastrom patch I could probably modify it so it doesn't require the falling blocks. It seems pretty strange that that sprite has a different behavior with the patch enabled though...
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Isocitration wrote:Did the updated level files I sent not get inserted or something? I made sure I deleted those unused secondary entrances.

Also if my level is unplayable with the fastrom patch I could probably modify it so it doesn't require the falling blocks. It seems pretty strange that that sprite has a different behavior with the patch enabled though...
It may be that I did get the old version. I downloaded your level from:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=13521&start=100#p172145

The gimmick of falling blocks was nice. It will be sad if the idea is thrown away.
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Yeah, I sent the update directly to aterraformer and didn't post it on here.

Also I haven't had a chance to play the latest base rom but Jolpe was telling me how several levels had exits leading to my level. My guess is maybe my fixed version got inserted, but the levels using the entrances I accidentally overwrote were not reinserted so they would still be incorrect.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

I have not inserted QuickROM but I did fix hopefully everything.
Base ROM v.43

edit: is anyone else interested in the SMB3 on-screen pipes?
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Kshaard »

Welp, I'm probably too late for this and I have little experience with Lunar Magic, but am I still able to apply for a level? Most likely in world 1 because I can't make difficult levels to save my life.
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Kshaard wrote:Welp, I'm probably too late for this and I have little experience with Lunar Magic, but am I still able to apply for a level? Most likely in world 1 because I can't make difficult levels to save my life.
Yeah! You're not too late, this project doesn't have nearly enough levels done yet and it's not moving at a very fast rate. You'll have plenty of time to design a level. So much time, in fact, that you'll probably be able to design more than one. (Honestly I like the slow pace the project is moving at)

Just wait for aterraformer to get on and tell you what level he gave you. Just for the future, you can look at the Levels list in the OP, see what levels aren't claimed, and pick one and request that particular level. Same goes for MAP16, secondary entrances, etc.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Frozelar wrote:
Kshaard wrote:Welp, I'm probably too late for this and I have little experience with Lunar Magic, but am I still able to apply for a level? Most likely in world 1 because I can't make difficult levels to save my life.
Yeah! You're not too late, this project doesn't have nearly enough levels done yet and it's not moving at a very fast rate. You'll have plenty of time to design a level. So much time, in fact, that you'll probably be able to design more than one. (Honestly I like the slow pace the project is moving at).
Not a very fast rate? I found this project was moving very fast, it started May 16 and there's already 20 levels finished. Compared to some other collabs it's super fast.
But yeah there's still lot of places for you, just go in the claimability thread and reserve a level then you can start.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

I like the speed this project is going at and it's definitely faster than expected! I would prefer everyone to pick the level they want. I often feel kinda awkward picking stuff for people and I think I've forgotten a few.

So for everyone out there who wants to claim, just look through the list and send me a number not already claimed. Cool? okay
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

I was just comparing the speed to A2MBXT. But yeah I guess this hack is going pretty decently.

Is the hack gonna get super mega ultra hard at the end?
How many levels are we planning on having?
What's the plot? Nothing?
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Frozelar wrote:Is the hack gonna get super mega ultra hard at the end?
hehe have you seen some of my parts of stages, Iso's level and Jolpe's middle level? Heck yeah it's gonna be hard!
Frozelar wrote:How many levels are we planning on having?
However many get submitted. I would love to fill it as much as possibly though.
Frozelar wrote:What's the plot? Nothing?
To be determined. We do need some text for after bosses and such.

(that was awesome, it felt like I was being interviewed or something!)
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

So I don't remember. What's left to do ?

Also can someone repost the last baserom.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Here the versions that I have. Not sure if it's the last.
Base ROM 1.05
Base ROM 1.10

One thing is that aterraformer wanted lots of levels to be toned down AFAIK. What I can do for this project for now is maybe to ease the difficulty of my levels?
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Are we still doing this project? I'd like to work on my other levels but this place seems a bit dead. Should I even bother?
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Yes! I just got the layoff from my 60+ hour week job so I will slowly start getting back into things. Sorry for the delay.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

It's quite alright. I've actually been offline for awhile moving and going through other things, though now everything is almost perfect. If things have moved along I'd probably have lost my levels anyway. I'll get started again and provide updates soon.
glitch4

Post by glitch4 »

What's is not done?
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

What needs to be done to my knowledge:
-World 9 submap and possible update to world 8
-Levels that people are willing to update, I know ravegg agreed to it. Possible multi midpoint adding (I'm not NEARLY as strict anymore)
-Finishing two of my own levels
-Connecting together what is done of the Bowser and real final levels. I want to design at least a section for the latter
-If someone (*cough*worldpeace*cough*) could get the HUD working, this too. My problem was getting the part of the coin counter to appear at all or correctly a space away from the item box. Heck, I'd like to use the item box Anikiti used in Luigi's Adventure and KT used in Mario Returns but I don't want to be a criminal. I'm pretty sure the timer only appearing in levels with actual time works, correct?

PLEASE TELL ME THINGS TO ADD TO THE LIST
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Ok, maybe I can deal with HUD. Please let me know its detailed spec. It will be much helpful to locate components' positions by means of an image.

When I transferred data to a new rom due to AMK problems, I forgot to copy texts for message box. This is one thing to do.

I feel some custom music is too loud and I want its volume adjusted (including my ports I made 4 years ago). If everyone agrees with this, I'll do that. Also if there are some other custom music issues, please inform me then I'll try.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

@alex2 // Aside from the overworld musics, the number of custom songs which I made is actually not many.

Also I'll update all of my levels. Here are my plans and it will need time..
- I saw the video of someone playing Angry Fish. In the underground part, his solution was different from what I intended. Maybe it wasn't clear, so I'm going to change that section.
- From the video, I realized that the swimming part at the very first of Glacier Soup might be boring and slow. I'm going to change that swimming section.
- I think my Root of Yggdrassil level is kinda excessive for the World 7. Maybe I'm going to add multiple midpoints and tone down its difficulty, OR replace it with a totally new level.

In fact, I wish to make a level like Black's base from Gunstar Heroes Stage 4, and with full of custom bosses. Not sure how much time will be taken.. If it takes too long, I'm not going to make it. If I choose a level to give up for a slot, I'd choose Root of Yggdrasil.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

worldpeace125 wrote:I feel some custom music is too loud and I want its volume adjusted (including my ports I made 4 years ago). If everyone agrees with this, I'll do that.
I wanted to point out the custom music isn't consistent with the volume - some is much louder than others. Turning the speaker up or down for different songs is not good for me, or I'm a fastidious perfectionist :p

What I want to do is simply to change the "global volume" that is the number following after "w". I don't think that will be ruining a song or author's original intention. First, I'd like to ask your opinion about whether I'm allowed to go ahead.

1) Songs which are loud
Alexander Brandon - Bright Club Lane by worldpeace125
Alien Vs. Predator - Space Port by worldpeace125
Diddy Kong Racing - Spacedust Alley by spigmike
Hi No Tori - Ancient Cave by Romi
Mega Man 6 - Knight Man by Tornado (except percussion/bass)
MegaMari - Cirno by worldpeace125
Melty Monster Galaxy - Mario Galaxy 2 by Kenny
Overture
Super Bonk - Twilight Space by Masashi27

2) not too loud.. but turning slightly down would be better
Asterix & Obelix - The Mountains by Hadron
Hatsune Miku - Nekomimi Switch by ShadowFan-X (main melody)
Kirby Squeak Squad - Prism Plains by Torchkas (partial main melody)
Puppet Panic Zone Act 1 - Sonic 3D Blast by CrispyYoshi
Rudra no Hihou - King of the Mountain by MaxodeX

(Edit: The list may not be complete. I picked these songs by comparing to the vanilla SMW music.)

And aterraformer, it is the tile (as well as the palette number) that I need for each cell in the HUD.
I want you to edit the HUD with Status Effect(please open another dummy rom, because we won't use this tool for real), capture the screen of it, and send to me. You can also use the red area which I can handle. Since the timer shouldn't appear in levels with no time limit, I'm going to make a custom patch, instead of using Status Effect.