(shouting)

-Main Discussion (FINALLY Updated Base ROM Here) Thread-

A vanilla VIP-like smw collab!
worldpeace125

Re: -Main Discussion (FINALLY Updated Base ROM Here) Thread-

Post by worldpeace125 »

Thanks for the findings, morsel.
morsel/morceau wrote:(I was going to make a seperate thread but I remembered you had some sort of testing plan which I don't want to screw up).
My testing plan was downsized(actually mostly discarded) due to lack of time. Actually I was searching for another volunteer who could lead the remaining stuffs like testing and polishing. It'd be cool to having a seperate thread from you or anyone even if they're not going to manage the process.

star warps are not a shortcut? - moving from star world, I couldn't move off the several I remembered to try (maybe it's supposed to be like this)
Star roads on this hack are similar to ones in the original where only a star road next to bowser's castle can have a path even before being unlocked from the other direction. In this hack, two star roads are in the case(bowser's castle and w7 house).
I'm thinking of changing or removing the text about 'shortcuts' in the w3 house to prevent the ambiguity.

beezos (level 104) - fireball palette is bad (colour A,6 should be changed to the standard red one - no other palettes in the level seem to be affected)
scaffolding shuffle (level 4) - luigi colours in status bar (second half of row 0 should be fixed, doesn't seem to affect other coulours used in level)
I'm not sure about whether to keep the wrong palettes like vip games or not. To fix all the similar problems, it's also necessary to handle "mario/luigi course clear" that uses tiles different from ones in the hud.
pixel perfect - the First Aid box makes it harder to cheese this level with yoshi [!!!]
In w7 house, there's a hidden WC allowing you to reset the midway/special item statuses. One of its purposes is allowing players to backtrack when they try to beat that level. Despite this, that item's effect isn't intended and it should be fixed.

The yoshi problem: Most levels after world 4 don't allow you to bring a yoshi, which makes it pointless to have a yoshi in the map after midgame. Even yoshi's allowed on certain levels, it causes several side effects like ones you mentioned.
With these fact, disabling to bring yoshis over the map will be safe. Then yoshis in the houses need to be removed (or maybe it's fine to place useless powerups like maglx2)[/spoiler]
Nin wrote:Are BG's working? BG's and such aren't loading at all for some reason.
Yes, they seem fine to me. I've never heard of that problem until now. Two possibilities:
1) You might have disabled layer 2.
2) obscure emluator? (other than zsnes/snes9x/higan/bsnes)
As far as I know, every segment of loading routine is either the vanilla code or lunar magic's hack which is safe to use. Maybe something about window mask settings went wrong because of an in-house hack, but it's not likely to happen because it checks the game mode and tries to affect only credits.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Isocitration wrote:
morsel/morceau wrote:misc mon feedback
Actually it's intended that you don't have enough time to retrieve the goomba before the turn block stops. The puzzle there is to keep the turn block spinning indefinitely. [ispoiler]To do this, place yoshi underneath the turn block.[/ispoiler] If that's not obvious though, I could rewrite the text there to include something about that, or just remove the block like you said.
It's funny that I used the same feature of baby yoshi in my puzzle level (green switch) and didn't realise this. If you have seen one of raocow's let's plays, you should know if it's possible to do something one way (which is the case here), people will continue to try it that way without looking for alternatives. It would be a shame to lose the idea (I regret all missing ideas from the final version of the hack), so a strongly leading message might be best. The goomba remains a cruel barrier, though. I don't know if you should make it so you only have to kick him without picking him up, (this seems too trivial?).
worldpeace125 wrote:I'm not sure about whether to keep the wrong palettes like vip games or not. To fix all the similar problems, it's also necessary to handle "mario/luigi course clear" that uses tiles different from ones in the hud.
I thought the palettes were OK to fix because they seemed unintentional:
Shuffle - MARIO appears correctly in the hud, so why not LUIGI? and
Beezos - The player palette is otherwise normal, so the fireball is jarring (power-ups given in the level are capes).
dont wanna jihad no more
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

In Disco Dance Party you can't make the ascend at the start when you are big, you have to be small, is that intentional?
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

I use Zsnes to test, but I'm not sure what's going on. When I run the game, the BG uses weird colored patterns and default Map16 tiles.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Jolpengammler wrote:In Disco Dance Party you can't make the ascend at the start when you are big, you have to be small, is that intentional?
It seems so. I think the purpose of the filter is to prevent some breaks.
With the item box, it's still possible to bring an item there. The trick of having an item in the box(and being small) is expected on speedrunner's course where you wouldn't press the yellow switch. (For the shortcut, see the movie in the w3 house)

Any opinion regarding that filter is still welcome.
Nin wrote:I use Zsnes to test, but I'm not sure what's going on. When I run the game, the BG uses weird colored patterns and default Map16 tiles.
May I have your rom file? (sending it via pm would be good)
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog

Post by Jolpengammler »

worldpeace125 wrote:Any opinion regarding that filter is still welcome.
I'd say there should be a crossed out mushroom symbol or SOMETHING that indicates it not being a bug. When I played I thought it was a bug. It's not too bad though. The item that let's you start big makes this weird though.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

worldpeace125 wrote:
Jolpengammler wrote:In Disco Dance Party you can't make the ascend at the start when you are big, you have to be small, is that intentional?
It seems so. I think the purpose of the filter is to prevent some breaks.
With the item box, it's still possible to bring an item there. The trick of having an item in the box(and being small) is expected on speedrunner's course where you wouldn't press the yellow switch. (For the shortcut, see the movie in the w3 house)

Any opinion regarding that filter is still welcome.
Nin wrote:I use Zsnes to test, but I'm not sure what's going on. When I run the game, the BG uses weird colored patterns and default Map16 tiles.
May I have your rom file? (sending it via pm would be good)
It's just the same rom you have to all of the people who participated in the collab. It's patched on a un-edited rom.

I mean, I doesn't affect anything to big. The game is enjoyable and playable.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Jolpengammler wrote:I'd say there should be a crossed out mushroom symbol or SOMETHING that indicates it not being a bug. When I played I thought it was a bug. It's not too bad though. The item that let's you start big makes this weird though.
I see. I will handle that.
Nin wrote:It's just the same rom you have to all of the people who participated in the collab. It's patched on a un-edited rom.I mean, I doesn't affect anything to big. The game is enjoyable and playable.
Regarding different results from the same ips file, the reason must be one of these: 1) rom is different, 2) emulator or its settings are different. I think comparing two rom files bytewise is the first thing to do to figure out the glitch, which should be fixed regardless of playability.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Here's Boss sequence text. It's a WIP and may be changed by feedbacks or replaced with better ideas.

Any stuffs(suggestions, proofreadings, or catch phrases) are welcome.

#1 (worldpeace)
The big boo of castle #1
has been exorcised by
holy bricks. If I were
him, I wouldn't put
something like that in a
living space.
Mario now enters a
riverside adventure.

#2 (worldpeace)
With a little help from
Mario, Roy has entered
Nirvana. He will be free
from 108 defilements
including sadism. From
now on, Mario must pass
through a snowy area or
a dark cave.

#3 (Daizo)
Morton may have been
clever making his arena
frozen, Mario has only
proved that he was only
on thin ice. But that's
not important! What
Mario must worry now is
the cliffs.

#4 (lolyoshi)
After experiencing the
side-effects of Wendy's
terrible recipe, Mario
climbs up towards the
heavens. The Gods of the
Skies have challenged
the plumber to take on a
series of tests. Oh boy!

#5 (Daizo)
So it turns out that
these 'gods' are nothing
more but Morton's
henchmen. You'd have to
wonder how he has built
a replica of his uncle
Bowser. Now Mario has to
go through 'The Forest'.

#6 (aterraformer)
Wendy come back, any
kind of fool could see
There was something in
everything about you
Wendy come back, you
can blame it all on me
I was wrong, and I just
can't live without you

#7 (Daizo)
Ludwig, the devious
genius of the
underworld, was not
smart enough to tackle
Mario. The Koopa King,
Bowser, is now the next
target. May the odds be
forever in your favor...
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog

Post by Jolpengammler »

Wow, I really like the castle texts
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Jolpengammler wrote:Wow, I really like the castle texts
Thanks. Maybe it would be fine to just use them after some polishing.

In addition to yoshi compatibility issues mentioned so far, I observed these levels have spawning issue when you bring a yoshi (maybe there can be more levels for this).
Effortland: p-switch at screen 09 may not spawn(*)
-CHARGE!- or -FIRE!-?: hammer bros's platform at screen 01 doesn't spawn
Wigglertuff: thwimp at screen 04 may not spawn(*)
(*) Another sprite can be a victim instead of it depending on situation.

Even when a level has "no yoshi" intro, the spawning issue may happen. In this case, grown yoshis may not appear if you parked your yoshi in the intro.
sublevel 1AA of bowser's castle: grown yoshi at screen 0D
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

worldpeace125 wrote: -CHARGE!- or -FIRE!-?: hammer bros's platform at screen 01 doesn't spawn
I was aware of this and thought it didn't matter - removing the message box (which is non-essential) would normalise the spawns. The level is not completely compatible with yoshi, however -- I don't know if it's better to add a no yoshi intro or try to incorporate yoshi somehow (one way is to change all the yellow shells to blue ones).

Even when a level has "no yoshi" intro, the spawning issue may happen. In this case, grown yoshis may not appear if you parked your yoshi in the intro.
sublevel 1AA of bowser's castle: grown yoshi at screen 0D
This is normal smw behaviour, I think? It's what I was referring to when I said "where appropriate" referring to level 10D earlier. To fix the sublevel 1AA, you could simply replace the grown yoshi with a baby yoshi on top of a flower (say). This sort of thing doesn't work in 10D where the yoshi falls in the pit (the flower doesn't repawn).
dont wanna jihad no more
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

morsel/morceau wrote:To fix the sublevel 1AA, you could simply replace the grown yoshi with a baby yoshi on top of a flower (say).
alright, I'll use this method when I touch up the level.

I'm slowly trying to get everything I need done bit by bit.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

To handle every yoshi/powerup problem, I'm collecting some information.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
It's not complete now. I will write another post when I'm done with it. Probably on the next weekend.
morsel/morceau wrote:-stuck for ever situations (e.g. top of the screen open + walk-though dirt)

e.g Chuck magnet
I'm thinking of replacing these dirt tiles in every level with solid tiles. I made a list of levels that have such ceilings. Right now I cannot remember where it is, but it must be found easily soon.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

It's finished. I will handle each issue marked as X with obvious solutions like no-yoshi intro. Levels that can be too easy due to items are indicated by triangles. I'd be fine with leaving them, but perhaps I'll handle some of them after receiving feedbacks. Authors may want to fix them too.
Some problems that didn't seem major to me are enclosed by '( )'. E.g. You may skip a level by flying over it, but then you'll miss dragon coins.
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

worldpeace125 wrote:
I fixed most of powerup compatibility problems except some small breaks. In this spreadsheet, I wrote what I modified for each problem.
Also I handled issues found by morsel and myself (ceiling, palette, grammar, cutoff, etc). I expect the next rom will be ready after I receive one of upcoming levels which are being made currently.

While I'm going to keep being passive about modifying levels, I think it's nice to polish some levels that have potential but received negative reviews from multiple people. (especially levels made by inactive users) Fixing small bugs have been done, but some spots would have been better by substantial modifications.

For example, most(about 4/5) of people I saw had trouble with a level called "Think Fast!". Though the level's concept is pretty cool, it was controversial for requiring too much precision in cramped area, as well as for some unfair set-ups.
With the original concept in mind, I alleviated those precision and unfairness, and added some variety.

This and castle #5(very beginning) were notorious, but they can be better by additional work in my opinion.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Decided just to make a no yoshi intro for level 1.
dont wanna jihad no more
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

morsel/morceau wrote:Decided just to make a no yoshi intro for level 1.
That was a funny intro. I love it.

I think most bugs and incompatibility problems were handled. Now I might as well take into consideration the reviews, though the scale of this process won't be ambitious as what I planned before.

lolyoshi playtested most levels except some of star world stuffs. His playthrough can be found on his twitch channel, which consists of several videos. I'm going to provide each level's (HH:MM:SS) only if I'm capable of doing it.
Link:
http://www.twitch.tv/lolyoshi/profile

Those videos are pretty significant in that there are only two streams of playtest of almost all levels(the other one was done by MarkyJoe 2 yeras ago, and of course, most of levels were outdated or weren't even released at the time). It's kinda unfortunate that the chatting log wasn't preserved. Still the stream would help to find out some potential design issues that authors might overlook.
If I remember correctly he played this game with a dpad in the first three videos, so it's a precious sample. I heard he switched to a keyboard in the last two videos.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

I should mention last weekend my computer had issues and I spent most of the weekend fixing it; ultimately I refreshed it which involved removing all my programs which I had to redownload. All project documents were untouched. I will work more this week.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I checked all of Ryrir's reviews except outdated ones, and picked statements which I agree with. Purple sentences are my thought for issues which aren't too straightforward or too complex. I should know if you participants are in favor of this(fixing things myself), so please respond to this! If you don't agree on one or some statements in particular, let me know.

I will post my final reviews for some levels as well.

[w1]
Introduction to Ledges and Edges
- 105: Screen 02: Getting the second dragoncoin is pretty hard when you’re big. I suggest adding a second cementblock before the two turnblocks, so you have enough space to throw the blue block at the lower turn block (you might have to move the whole structure to the right if you do that tough, so the player has enough room to jump off the piranha plant)
> add one more cement block
> insert explanation: Throwing up blocks won’t break them. Similarly, shells thrown up will keep stationary.

- Screen 03: Blind jump that could end on top of the muncher or the chargin’ chuck. Add a cointrail that leads onto safe ground and consider replacing the chuck with a goomba/koopa or removing any enemy in this area.

- Screen 05/06: There’s so much wrong with this area that I would suggest redesigning the area altogether. First of all, I don’t think glitch abuse in 1-1 is a good idea. I wouldn’t mind it later in the game, and to be fair there are indications as of what you have to do, but still. It just gives the whole game a bad vibe if there are such things that early in the game. Second, the moon spam. Remove it. And last but not least the kaizo-like chuck jump that is very hard to pass by without taking a hit (at least you get a mushroom right beforehand), and if you do fall in the hole you get trapped/die. This is not something you want to have in 1-1, unless you want to scare off any player that is not from the talkhaus.
> replace the ledge with turn blocks
> insert explanation: To run over 1 tile gaps, keep pressing a or b.

Monty Pit
- Screen 09: The goombas can fall off the edge and hurt the player when he tries to jump on the vine. I think removing the first one should solve the problem. The jump off the vine on the ledge is kind of tricky and out of place for this level. You should probably place the vine one or two block to the left.

Mushroom Ledge
- 102: Screen 04: It’s kind of annoying to get to the dragoncoin because the midpoint is right beforehand so it is almost certain that the player is big, which means he has to duckjump all the way to the coin. You should lower the conveyor belt on title.
> insert explanation: When you are big and aren't ducking in one-tile-high space, you will be pushed to left regardless of the direction you face

Springity Sproing
- Gerneal: Give the player something like 50 seconds more on the timer?

- Screen 12: The jump over the goal on the way to the last dragoncoin didn’t work for me. Basically what I did was follow the coins as I was supposed to do, but then walked back because I didn’t know what was up with those coins; ending up getting the goal regardless. What I would do is force the player to jump over the goal by adding a gap to the rope so the player has to jump over it. Also maybe it would be a good idea to add some coins at the end of the rope to indicate that the player is expected to jump down there.

[w2]
Euphoric Mushroom Backyard
- Level 167: Screen 0B: “Big Mario Discrimination” here. It’s probably difficult to avoid because if you made the gap wider, the player would be able to ignore the chucks/go over them. I still think that this needs to be changed though because the player has just been given a mushroom on screen 0A, so it is very likely that he will be big in this situation. Maybe you could find another way to make the poison mushroom compulsory for progress? Maybe Mega Moles could work?
> fixed

Random Blue Switch
- General: Give the player at least 100 more seconds.

Aquiferic Pressure
- Level 48: Screen 01: Cutoff over the pipe.

- Also, if 1-1 does get redesigned (which I still think would be a very, very good idea), the whole duck-spinjump-glitch would have to be explained.
> turn blocks (only if 1-1 is also changed)

[w3]
Siberian Precipice
- Level 107: Screen 02: When taking the upper path with the powerup and then following the cointrail to the grey platform, the red koopa will most likely block your way, making the jump impossible without taking a hit. I suggest lowering the koopas position a few tiles.
> put some blue switch blocks

PEEK-A-BOO!!
- Screen 04: Glitchy lava.

Spring Green Spelunking
- Screen 01: Getting the dragoncoin is hard to do if the player is small. I would suggest lowering it one tile.

- Screen 0B: Again, I think the bullet bill jump is hard to pull off. Maybe you could experiment with putting them on the left side of the gap? I think it would be easier that way actually.
> put gentle bullet bill shooters to give players more reaction time(custom sprite C0)

Rapture of the Deep
- Screen 0C: It is pretty redundant to give the player a mushroom here if he is pretty much guaranteed to lose it on the jumps on screen 0D/0E. These jumps are much easier if the player is small, and it is very likely that he will lose the mushroom almost as soon as he has gotten it. Either put the mushroom somewhere closer to the midpoint, or after screen 0E. (Or both? The level is hard enough that it wouldn’t feel too easy, that’s for sure).
> insert explanation about duck jump

[w4]
Horse Eating Disorder
- General: I don’t think the gimmick works very well. I was never, NEVER in any sort of stress during the whole time I played through the stage.
> remove some berries and set timer’s upper bound to 40 or so

- Screen 0D: The yoshi-jump to get the dragoncoin is kind of hard the way it is now. Why don’t you put the coin in between the landmasses, so it is for one thing easier to do and more importantly the player realizes that he actually has to yoshi-jump there, something that’s not very clear the way it is now.
> put lava below the landscape in sight to prevent blind jump

The Cave of Layer 2
- Level 58: Screen 06: I don’t know, I think the sign is kind of misleading. The door doesn’t appear after the first pit of fire at all, it’s after the fourth one. Is there something I’m not getting? Anyway, I think the hint should be rewritten to make it clearer. Maybe something along the lines of “between two single coins” or something? Or “on the moving blocks asking many questions” or something? (Okay, I’ll admit, the last one is pretty dumb but my original point still stands)

Red Switch Palace
- Level 11B: Screen 07: You can get yourself trapped in the little room with the moon. Isn’t there a custom block that acts essentially an upside-down cloud? I think this would work here.
> place a muncher for escape

Boiling With the Best of Them
- Screen 00 & 03: There is no way the player has the green switch pressed at this time. (Okay, he could take the other path and then come back to play the other route but that seems unlikely.)
> replace them with other switch blocks

don’t screw up, k
- Level 112: Screen 05: The midpoint doesn’t work correctly. It respawns if you die and reenter the level, and also if you fall back down the hole on screen 04.

[w5]
Polished Pipeline
- Level 10: Screen 01: You can jump on the grey falling platform from the left side of the pipe, making the jump later impossible. I suggest moving it one tile to the right.

Mushroom Tripper
- Screen 0F: This dragoncoin is very hard to get, in my opinion. Would it be so bad if you could see it from the start? Or maybe if you could only see half of it? I think it would be less frustrating if it would be moved down a tile or two.

- Screen 08: How is the player supposed to know about the vine block? Luring the shell further to the left isn’t something that the player does on his own, and if you don’t even know that the yellow turn block is there, it becomes even less likely. The solution to this puzzle has to be made clearer - Maybe add some coins above the yellow block, or make it visible?

[w6]
All the Way from New Jersey
- General: Some (if not most) of the invisible mushrooms are pretty much impossible to get. The amount of time you spent killing the enemies around it, scrolling the screen to reset it and then come back to actually get the mushroom is just too much, to the point where the player will just go on with the level without the powerup. I think it would work a lot better if you would replace them with actual mushrooms.
> put coins indicating where invisible mushrooms are.
> insert explanation: Invisible mushroom pops out to left when you're walking from right to left while touching it.
Also, this level could be benefited from inserting explanation about duck jump.

THE TREES ARE DEAD
- Screen 0E: A semi-blind jump. Maybe place some coins leading to the safe ground would be better.
> maybe this needs to be considered when tree trunks don’t mean there’s a ledge

[w7]
Burnt Mountain Tango
- Level 70: Screen 11: The blue switch blocks don’t really help the player, because you can’t jump from them to the solid ground to the right. Maybe adding another one at 2,283:25 would help?

- Screen 00: Maybe add an up-arrow in the wall near the last dragoncoin? If you don’t know that it’s there, you probably won’t get it on your first try.

[w8]
Pixel Perfect
- Completely redesign screen 05.
> make spring board’s falling speed slower(would affect screen 03 too)

[w9]
Super Grand Ultra Marathon of Finalness
- you need a cape to get the last one
> The level's creator said he would change it. I think it’s okay to fix it.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I vote to retain the phasing through the floor glitch in 1-1 as I think it does a good job of setting the tone the hack (at least for me - I am fond of this level as I was inspired to make my own level (level 1) immediately after viewing the video of it). There is no harm in explaining more clearly what is required in a message box.

In level 10D, I didn't resort to the ducking glitch while testing, but again there is no harm in explaining an easy mood ("When Bear Grylls plays SMW he never ducks the never duck challenge."). The reason the mushroom is where it is is that it would useless during the yoshi section (it is bad design that you're allowed to have it at all :oops:) and I thought people might like to have it to skip some of the vine jumps. Now that I notice, I guess the level name should more properly be Rapture of the Deep (my mistake).
dont wanna jihad no more
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

After hearing that a powerup becomes helpless in the yoshi section, which I didn't realized, that mushroom seems pretty fair. I just realized your level used the layer 3 bg, so having a message box won't be feasible without some vast change.

worldpeace125 wrote:Introduction to Ledges and Edges
- 105: Screen 02: Getting the second dragoncoin is pretty hard when you’re big. I suggest adding a second cementblock before the two turnblocks, so you have enough space to throw the blue block at the lower turn block (you might have to move the whole structure to the right if you do that tough, so the player has enough room to jump off the piranha plant)
> add one more cement block
> insert explanation: Throwing up blocks won’t break them. Similarly, shells thrown up will keep stationary.

- Screen 03: Blind jump that could end on top of the muncher or the chargin’ chuck. Add a cointrail that leads onto safe ground and consider replacing the chuck with a goomba/koopa or removing any enemy in this area.

- Screen 05/06: There’s so much wrong with this area that I would suggest redesigning the area altogether. First of all, I don’t think glitch abuse in 1-1 is a good idea. I wouldn’t mind it later in the game, and to be fair there are indications as of what you have to do, but still. It just gives the whole game a bad vibe if there are such things that early in the game. Second, the moon spam. Remove it. And last but not least the kaizo-like chuck jump that is very hard to pass by without taking a hit (at least you get a mushroom right beforehand), and if you do fall in the hole you get trapped/die. This is not something you want to have in 1-1, unless you want to scare off any player that is not from the talkhaus.
> replace the ledge with turn blocks
> insert explanation: To run over 1 tile gaps, keep pressing a or b.
morsel/morceau wrote:I vote to retain the phasing through the floor glitch in 1-1 as I think it does a good job of setting the tone the hack (at least for me - I am fond of this level as I was inspired to make my own level (level 1) immediately after viewing the video of it). There is no harm in explaining more clearly what is required in a message box.
I applied these to 1-1. Mostly I put some explanatory message boxes for some smw physics. As a result, the level seems to have a tutorial-like gimmick now and its mood becomes so different from the past.
Near some of these message boxes, a new section is added to let players practice.

In detail:

I just put this on impulse, given that raocow had a trouble with this diving board in his lp.

(1) Description for a throwing method which would be more stationary / (2) training with multiple coins / (3) application

About the floor glitch

About running over gaps. I believe the green switch palace also explains this.

(1) An explanation in case you "somehow" decide to carry the springboard / (2) training with multiple coins

Minor changes: the invisible note block is marked more clearly / falling into the pit brings you back.

After you hit the message box, the springboard appears from above. Also did this on impulse.

When I'm ready, I might as well create a new thread to give more publicity to what has been changed since alpha ver 0.01.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I love the tutorial aspect (reminiscent of your eggplant hack).

Maybe you could add the duck-while-climbing info into 1-1 (e.g. force a mushroom and something like:
Super Mario World (U) [!]_00003.png
dont wanna jihad no more
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

That's a good thing to explain too. I will add a section similar to your screenshot.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

I kinda like the idea of taking 1-1 and turning it into a training grounds of sorts. I wonder if other things could be added too i.e. spinjumping off certain enemies