(shouting)

[SPOILERS] World 6 Castle

The second SMBX collab!
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

[SPOILERS] World 6 Castle

Post by ztarwuff »

Bellissimo Schloss del Mundo Chaotique

Italian: Bellissimo Castello del mondo caotico
German: Schönen Schloss von der chaotischen Welt
Spanish: Castillo del Mundo Caótico
French: Château Beau du Monde Chaotique

Boss: Uncle Broadsword?

Level Gimmick: Demo and friends are actually in a slightly malfunctioning holodeck rather than a castle. Level starts off in a castle but cycles through various level terrains (all the same shape) every 45 seconds (may reduce time to 30 seconds). Hopefully, if given permission, the level will act as a retread of all the World 6 levels.

Notes: Currently playing through all World 6 levels to see which gimmicks can be meshed together. For some levels, only the visual aesthetics can be ported over. Two levels feature the same vertical wrapping gimmick, so that's good.

Known Bug: The Dark Prince gimmick is incompatible with the latest LunaLua devkit as of 21/02/2016.
Castle6.PNG
Castle6.PNG (95.82 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
Last edited by ztarwuff 8 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
ztarwuff

Re: [SPOILERS] World 6 Castle

Post by ztarwuff »

Just wanted to say that I've uploaded what I've done so far.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zs6tj1x8sc4rc ... 6.zip?dl=0

It's incomplete and I haven't quite started on the Dark Prince section yet. I'm thinking about getting rid of the bullet ride to save on space and I'm kind of unsure about the kill room.

One word of warning: the zip file doesn't contain all the required music. To save duplicating music files, I got the BGM to point to other people's folders. I'm currently using music from Unaniem's ANMT, Willhart's Dark Prince, Holy's Merano and Mikkofier's raocow's Work Day.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Heh, not an easy task there since you will probably use all the tilesets and graphics from the world 6 levels. Two of these levels are from Willhart who makes some very appealing visual levels but man, good luck inserting these into the level. If done correctly though it'll look awesome.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Looks good so far (I'm assuimg the start point is wrong). Just note that when I started the Merano section, I glitched into the wall as it switched over. Also Note (This is more of an FYI for Others, and I can easily fix this later):

[attachment=0]2016-02-01_19_39_41.png[/attachment]
Attachments
2016-02-01_19_39_41.png
2016-02-01_19_39_41.png (40.39 KiB) Viewed 3016 times
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Slit08 wrote:Heh, not an easy task there since you will probably use all the tilesets and graphics from the world 6 levels. Two of these levels are from Willhart who makes some very appealing visual levels but man, good luck inserting these into the level. If done correctly though it'll look awesome.
I certainly had to renumber tiles so I wouldn't accidentally copy over, but I won't be using everything because I'm grouping levels together to reduce on the number of tiles I need to use. For example, there's a set of tiles used in Merano that are almost identical to a set used in Willhart's Dark Prince, except Willhart's have a thinner line and are darker. So I just thickened them and reused.
SAJewers wrote:Looks good so far (I'm assuimg the start point is wrong). Just note that when I started the Merano section, I glitched into the wall as it switched over. Also Note (This is more of an FYI for Others, and I can easily fix this later):

[attachment=0]2016-02-01_19_39_41.png[/attachment]
Start point should be to the left of the three fire statues, so if you didn't start there, then yes.

Also, the glitching is rather odd, as it's never happened with me. The layers are all the same shape and height. Well, there's a simple work around. Don't switch the blocks the player is in contact with.

EDIT: Oh, one other thing. I've deliberately left Section 1 empty for whoever's doing the boss. I'm presuming it's Rockythechao.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Just wanted to update everyone on progress with this level. All the individual bits are complete. I'm tempted to start cutting bits of the earlier level out and shift the Merano-BogStandard and DarkPrince bits earlier so I can make more room for combinations of gimmicks, like the bit where I reused one of arabsalmons Bog Standard "puzzles" but combined it with the DarkPrince lighting gimmick.

Kind of stumped and would like a bit more feedback, if that's all right.

P.S. I've uploaded to the same dropbox, so it should be the same link as before.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

For some reason I can't enter the Door in Section 3.

Also, if you're filtering out Gourd suits, but using random powerups, it might be wise to insert some code to check for the gourd NPC and replace it with another powerup.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

SAJewers wrote:For some reason I can't enter the Door in Section 3.
I have no explanation for this. It works fine for me. Strangely, god mode doesn't seem to work for me.
Also, if you're filtering out Gourd suits, but using random powerups, it might be wise to insert some code to check for the gourd NPC and replace it with another powerup.
Would have done that ages ago, but I never got round to asking somebody for help. I was more intent on trying to get all the different level bits to mesh together.

EDIT: You know what? I'm being an idiot. Given the code I'm using I can just as easily replace the gourd graphic. Problem solved.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Small update: Nearly finished with the level. It currently ends outside with what will eventually be a chain leading up to the spaceship that the plot requires. I need to insert a few platforms near the Boss door in Section 2 and coordinate with Rocky about the boss environment. Level downloadable from the same link.

Also, I'm changing the level name to Bellissimo Schloss del Mundo Chaotique to avoid using the  and Ó characters, which I'm pretty sure SMBX doesn't support.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Aside from the broken Dark Price section (not your fault) I really like this.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

I've completed my bits of the level. Unfortunately, with the current LunaLua, it's next to impossible to test the latter half of my level. :(
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Sorry, guys. Forgot to mention that as of 09/03/2016, rockythechao is working on the level. More graphics assets are being copied over to the level folder and work is being done on the boss fight.