(shouting)

Episode 2 Bosses?

The second SMBX collab!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Episode 2 Bosses?

Post by SAJewers »

I'm honestly not sure now. I think I'd rather have one boss battle per uncle only. I don't think fight uncles multiple times feels what for what we're doing.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

One thing I've been wondering... the sibling fights in Ep. 1 were levels of their own. Perhaps we could do that for the EOW bosses this time around? It'd serve as a natural checkpoint, there'd be no pressure to make a level be the EOW level just because it has a boss, there'd be no pressure on the level creators to make space for an existing fight in their levels or create a new one, and in general it'll be easier to modify a standalone boss level to work as a direct continuation of the previous level (assuming the narrative calls for it) rather than try to fit it into the previous level.
SAJewers wrote:I'm honestly not sure now. I think I'd rather have one boss battle per uncle only. I don't think fight uncles multiple times feels what for what we're doing.
imo, having multiple conflicts/interactions with the uncles throughout the world/game, battles or otherwise, would help build up their characters and prepare players for one final confrontation with them.
Mabel wrote:Is there a list of who is doing which Uncles? Would be nice to know for future reference.
  • I've got the Broadsword fight that I'll submit once cinematX 0.0.8 is out (I'm aiming for sometime during Thanksgiving week)
  • iirc you said you're retooling your Denmark fight from MaGLX2
  • Wasabi's taking a crack at the Rewind fight
  • Dunno if anyone's done anything for @sbestos yet @sbestos is now the boss of Hope Rides Alone
  • Pumpernickle apparently has no boss yet but the graphics are available
    • I still need to make cinematX sheets for @sbestos and Rewind and larger animations for everyone except Broadsword and Rewind.

Also, additional bosses I'm aware of:
      • Docopoper was planning a Calleoca fight, dunno the status on that
      • I've got my Pandamona battle(s) I mentioned earlier
      • I've also got an extended version of the cinematX race sample level that could work as an alternative to a boss battle, it's got a bit of extra lua to replace damage with knockback and stun.
If there's any others or folks want to post an update about the ones they're working on I'll go ahead and edit these lists, probably gonna move them to a wiki page eventually.
Last edited by Rixithechao 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I replaced Rewind with @bestos. Also, I'd like to have levels for each Uncle, since we have multiple checkpoints now. The boss doesn't have to be made by the same person as the level itself.

No reason why someone can't make a pumpernickel fight, then someone else make a level around it.

Definitely have multiple conflicts/interactions with the uncles, but IMO save the actual boss fight for 1 level.
Holy

Post by Holy »

I have an idea for a fight where @sbestos summons something and you fight that, if that'd be aight as like an "earlier encounter". I have to see if it actually works, though.
Also from what you said in the town thread SA, do we need more early-game levels? I might be able to get some of those out.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, stuff like that would totally work.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Status update on the Broadsword battle:

this bbcode is defined in bbcode.php

Sorry for the washed-out audio, still getting used to OBS and configuring stuff, etc.

Music: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-w323 ... sp=sharing

To summarize the discussion from the Skype chat:
  • The battle has a bug where Broadsword sometimes cancels a flip or backstep and goes straight to an attack, potentially resulting in cheap hits to the player (you can see that almost happened in the video at around 1:12)
  • This fight's going to have another attack or two, and I'll be adding some other stuff to be used in a potential rematch later in the game.
[/registered]

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

I finally finished the boss for world 1!!

Things that are being worked on/were fixed after recording:
  • Noctel removes his cape before the cutscene finishes (fixed)
  • Noctel can kamikaze himself (fixed)
  • Too much hp (reduced to 10 hits)
  • Weird invincibility period animation (will be changed to normal blinking, once it's added into cinematx as a feature
Any other advice I'm willing to take!
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

This is the first of the EOW levels being submitted that's going to go through the fine-tuning system thing.

Demo vs. the Goopinati

1 exit, 5 raocoins.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Either of these might work good for the level music of The End Boss level of World 2

EDIT: For this, we could also use the original: https://youtu.be/V7y78sMXD7s?t=44m17s

Also, in case it wasn't posted, the bosses for each world
  1. Whatever Pyro made
  2. Garish's Army
  3. Pandamona
  4. Uncle @sbestos
  5. Uncle Denmark
  6. Uncle Broadsword
  7. Uncle Rewind
  8. Uncle Pumpernickle
  9. Serac (Ithink?)
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Skype!rocky wrote:Serac was the generally agreed-upon one, though I proposed we could use the Ultimate Pandamona fight there as an alternative option.
Other ideas I just came up with: you could fight Papi Hamboney himself, or a shadow image kinda thing of one of the elders made by Serac to prepare Demo and company for the upcoming battles.

Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

SAJewers wrote:Either of these might work good for the level music of The End Boss level of World 2
They could certainly work for an end boss level somewhere, but I'm not sure W2 is the place. Considering W2 is Garishtown, it might fit better to use more traditional military music. I have one in mind, and might be able to draw something up.

Also, musics for various boss related things!

World 6: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/308 ... dsword.ogg

World 2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/308 ... 20Home.ogg
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Hey there,

so I guess the Pandemona boss is the one that Holy posted on page 2 (Ultimate Pandemona), right?
Will this battle also include the Boxatron, being a boss fight with 2 forms?

Now about Uncle Broadsword:
I love what I see. I just suggest changing the bomb animation when he crashes into the ground: It looks a bit weird and is not placed correctly (it's not in the center of Broadsword). So my suggestion: Centralize it or delete it alltogether or replace it with another sprite that looks better (for example he Uncle could briefly flash before he slams down on the ground).
You said that this is the first encounter, right? But I read somewhere else that no Uncle would be refought and always be an EOW boss.
Plus Broadsword is said to appear in world 6, which is the abstract world, yet here we see a desert/ pyramid background which fits to world 3.
So there's a few possibilities here:
a) You could make him be fought two times. The first easier fight is the one shown in your video and takes place in a normal level in world 3. The second fight would take place in world 6 with the added 2-3 attacks that you planned. Here he would be the End of World boss.
b) There will only be one fight but this one fight will have the other attacks you have planned integrated. He would be fought in the EOW level in world 6 as stated in the boss list and thus be fought in a different location.
c) Again just one fight with the other planned attacks (and maybe slightly more health so that the player experiences all attacks at different speeds). However he would be fought in world 3 instead of world 6 and would change his spot with Pandemona which looks like a challenging fight, especially considering there might be two forms (which I still support and hope for :) ). Broadsword would be fought in that awesome looking Pyramid you used as a tileset.

So yeah these are my suggestions.

Finally about that world 1 boss:
I like it, it's challenging yet easy enough for a first world boss.
The only thing I really hope is that the health bar of this boss will be adjusted. I'd like every boss in the finished game have the same sort of health bar. This way it looks more organized. So either have the numbers or this awesome green health bar that we saw in both the Pandemona and the Broadsword fight. :) But maybe these will all be adjusted once every boss has been made and will be implemented into the source.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Slit08 wrote: Now about Uncle Broadsword:
This has been heavily discussed in the Skype group - Broadsword is having two fights.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

Slit08 wrote: The only thing I really hope is that the health bar of this boss will be adjusted. I'd like every boss in the finished game have the same sort of health bar. This way it looks more organized. So either have the numbers or this awesome green health bar that we saw in both the Pandemona and the Broadsword fight. :) But maybe these will all be adjusted once every boss has been made and will be implemented into the source.
It actually has a health bar now. The only reason it didn't have one in the video is that at the time I had to have a No-OpenGL version of LunaLua, and until very recently health bars like that were exclusive to OpenGL. It's all good now, though. Thanks!
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Apparently I'm Holy now :lol:
There are indeed going to be two Broadsword fights, one as a midboss of W3 and one as the end boss of W6. I'll look into the stuff about his charged downstab later, I haven't noticed anything off with it but that may just be creator bias. EDIT: Oh, I'm a dumb, you meant the particle effect! Yeah, that's something I'm working on.

The Boxatron fight will be moved to either the midboss of W8 or W9, serving as a second surprise phase of a Noctel rematch (falling from above and squashing him), or be pusihed over into Ep. 3.
Last edited by Rixithechao 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Just to be clear on Bosses again (This doesn't include bosses in regular levels):

W1: Something Pyro/Red made
W2: Garish and his Army
W3-1: Uncle Broadsword
W3-2: Ultimate Pandamona
W4: Uncle @sbestos
W5-1: Can't remember this one >.>
W5-2: Uncle Denmark
W6: Uncle Broadsword Round 2
W7-1: Robot raocow Master
W7-2: Uncle Rewind
W8: Uncle Pumpernickle
W9: Serac?
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Rockythechao wrote:Apparently I'm Holy now :lol:
There are indeed going to be two Broadsword fights, one as a midboss of W3 and one as the end boss of W6. I'll look into the stuff about his charged downstab later, I haven't noticed anything off with it but that may just be creator bias. EDIT: Oh, I'm a dumb, you meant the particle effect! Yeah, that's something I'm working on.

The Boxatron fight will be moved to either the midboss of W8 or W9, serving as a second surprise phase of a Noctel rematch (falling from above and squashing him), or be pusihed over into Ep. 3.
Oh okay thanks for the clarification. Oh so there's going to be a robot raocow fight? Nice! :)

Oh btw, will you make the level for the W3 Broadsword boss? :) Would be awesome.

The hunt begins!
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

I'm not quite as good with level design as I am with bosses so I'm going to submit the cutscenes and boss and leave the meat of the level up to whoever wants to make it. The only stipulation is that the level should probably be made with just Demo in mind unless the cutscenes are changed, since they have her running off on her own and fighting Broadsword alone before the rest of the group catches up to her.

Ideally the W6 level/battle should filter to Iris for story reasons as well.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Pyro wrote:This is the first of the EOW levels being submitted that's going to go through the fine-tuning system thing.

Demo vs. the Goopinati

1 exit, 5 raocoins.
Huh, I tried testing your level and saw some oddities. For example I couldn't read any signs... these said things along the line "key=sign1, name=Sign, verb=read, scene =signread1...

Also I don't know what to do in the second room with these white arrows pointing down, if I jump into the pit I die... again the sin there is not readable.

The hunt begins!
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

Sounds like you don't have LunaLua at all. The messages you had were all code for CinematX, a LunaLua library, and the white arrows were pointing to where you could vertically wrap - a gimmick that required LunaLua.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Just so I have an idea, who has claimed/started on which of the Castle Levels?

W1: Something Pyro/Red made (Pyro/Red)
W3-1: Uncle Broadsword (Boss Claimed By Red, level claimed by no one?)
W5-1: Not sure we even have one here
W6: Uncle Broadsword Round 2(Boss Claimed By Red, level claimed by no one?)
W7-1: Robot raocow Master (Boss and Level Started by SAJewers/Cadwyn)
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

SAJewers wrote:Just so I have an idea, who has claimed/started on which of the Castle Levels
Should probably clarify that Rockythechao and Rednaxela aren't the same person.

Also I never posted this. Rewind boss battle music based on the theme I wrote earlier: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/308 ... 20Time.ogg
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I keep mixing the two up >.>
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

So I tried to play Demo vs the Goopinati...
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (3.26 KiB) Viewed 3732 times
Also, is that boss music original/made by someone for that? Wasn't sure.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

SAJewers wrote:Just so I have an idea, who has claimed/started on which of the Castle Levels?

W1: Something Pyro/Red made (Pyro/Red)
W3-1: Uncle Broadsword (Boss Claimed By Red, level claimed by no one?)
W5-1: Not sure we even have one here
W6: Uncle Broadsword Round 2(Boss Claimed By Red, level claimed by no one?)
W7-1: Robot raocow Master (Boss and Level Started by SAJewers/Cadwyn)
Oh, we're doing castle levels now? That's a neat idea. The background and tilsets for my level, Gravity Falls, would make a lovely final castle for World 7-2 and this music would go lovely with it, but without seeing the boss, I'm not sure how to develop such a level.