irc.cat.biopge projectsmbx community

happy birthday talkhaus!!!!

Episode 2 Level Review and Testing Discussion

The second SMBX collab!
User avatar
SAJewers
A2XT Guy
Posts: 2048
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby SAJewers » 1 year ago

If you mean one of the bridge sections, it's intended that they're a bit easier/breather sections than the vertical sections.
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT A SECOND MARIO BROS X. THING. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PMs.
Image
Head over to the ASMBXT Forums and join the discssion, or submit levels!
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Posts: 498
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby ztarwuff » 1 year ago

SAJewers wrote:If you mean one of the bridge sections, it's intended that they're a bit easier/breather sections than the vertical sections.
Uh, forget about it for now. It was probably the butterfly NPC souring the rest of the level. I'll try again after I've dealt with the other levels, but from the description given to Break the Needle Cyclops, I don't think I'll have the time until this weekend.
Friendly Dictator wrote:SKULLDUGGERY
REJECTED - but I might have a solution
Unfortunately, you've made the level worse, however, I have hit upon a solution that might salvage this level and give you an excuse to revert the first half back to how it was in your original revision.

First thing's first; it's the bit immediately after the midpoint and the first bit of the second half. The bit immediately after the midpoint really does make it look as if you intend the player to do a blarg jump (I know that's not the intention, but that's only because I've played your original revision and know what you intended me to do). The first bit of the second half is unreasonable given the lava instadeath.

And that's the largest problem of this level, the instadeath. It's not a huge problem near the beginning, but when you have puzzles like the first part of the second half, it gets annoying having to restart the level over and over again in order to hit upon a solution.

So, what you need is something that a player can't step on that the skull rafts can.

Let me to introduce the player blocks (specifically, the Iris player block).

[attachment=0]skullduggery-proposal.PNG[/attachment]

As Iris, the player goes straight through them, but the skullrafts treat these as if they're solid, regardless of whether they're on or not. Below these, you have solid ground, set so low that a player cannot jump straight back up. Place a door there that warps the player back up and you have essentially the same puzzle, but the player no longer needs to die and reenter a level if he or she fails

Obviously, you don't want to do that for every bit of the level so as to give the player some sense of peril, but for the harder sections like say... the first part of the second half and the original last part of the first half from your original revision of this level.

So my suggestion goes as follows: use the first half of your original revision of this level and attach the second half from the latest revision of your level. Replace the lava blocks in the harder sections that FrozenQuill and 8flight complained about with the Iris blocks.


Now, I'm calling this rejected, because ultimately, you need to make a large revision to at least the second half of the level. I can see it being approved if the bare minimum you do is replace some of the lava blocks with player blocks instead. And even then, I would recommend extensions to some platforms and certain platforms being reduced in height or raised. That can be postponed until QA.

Keep it up, though. You're getting close.
Attachments
skullduggery-proposal.PNG
skullduggery-proposal.PNG (42.11 KiB) Viewed 1153 times

User avatar
SAJewers
A2XT Guy
Posts: 2048
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby SAJewers » 1 year ago

FrozenQuills wrote:Everyone Hates Ninjis
Just a thought, but the Second half of the level should be night time, to fit in with the proceeding two levels.
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT A SECOND MARIO BROS X. THING. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PMs.
Image
Head over to the ASMBXT Forums and join the discssion, or submit levels!
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Posts: 498
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby ztarwuff » 1 year ago

128-Up wrote:Break the Needle Cyclops
Approved - but you still need to change the level
Hurrah for LunaLua1 What would have been a horrifically unfun level is made fun.

I'm not a big fan of that huge wall of text. You had the right idea having that wall, but what you actually needed is that wall and another safe area where you teach the player that jumping whilst in mid-air is also allowed. See the below ASCII text example to see what I'm getting at:

Code: Select all

             |  |  
     |---|   |  |  |--
     |   |   |  |  |
-----|   |   ----  |
         |         |
	      |         |
	      |---------|
Probably some kind of coin trail to show the player what to do.

Also, you need to force the player to collect that first save spot by placing it in a position that the player has to go to. the first save spot can easily be skipped. Have it in a narrow passage or something like that. I had no idea the thing said "save" on it until I leaned in to check a blemish on my screen (turns out it was a small fly).

I guess seeing as this game is a homage to I Wanna be the Guy, it makes sense for the sides and bottoms of spikes to hurt, but not every player is going to expect that in a game where the sides and bottoms don't normally hurt. Unlike SAJewers, I don't think you need to change them in section 2, so long as you replace the first fourteen spikes in Section 2 with the upside down spikes and place a coin trail showing the safe route through that section.

Yes, I know that IWBTG didn't telegraph with coins, but this game is not that game. Each level functions so differently from the other that you need to explain things, because the rules of play keep changing.[/spoiler]

So this level can be accepted, but I agree with SAJewers in that there's clear level design issues that need to be tackled before Episode 2 can be released.

User avatar
SAJewers
A2XT Guy
Posts: 2048
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby SAJewers » 1 year ago

SAJewers wrote:
pholtos wrote:I guess I could help.
Any chance of playing the 3 levels still in the queue, as well as this?

If you want more after that, I can give some levels that have already been approved to test.
ping.
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT A SECOND MARIO BROS X. THING. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PMs.
Image
Head over to the ASMBXT Forums and join the discssion, or submit levels!
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
pholtos
Loves adorable things.
Posts: 1314
Joined: 8 years ago
Location: One of the States in the Center of the U.S.

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby pholtos » 1 year ago

SAJewers wrote:
SAJewers wrote:
pholtos wrote:I guess I could help.
Any chance of playing the 3 levels still in the queue, as well as this?

If you want more after that, I can give some levels that have already been approved to test.
ping.
I'll look into it.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV
Pokemon Gimmick Free For All Feel free to join in the fun! :3

ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.
Currently playing:
Image

User avatar
SAJewers
A2XT Guy
Posts: 2048
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby SAJewers » 1 year ago

Thanks.

Also, if anyone is readin g this, and wants something to do, go play through some of the accepted levels and test them for bugs and stuff/do some QA.
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT A SECOND MARIO BROS X. THING. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PMs.
Image
Head over to the ASMBXT Forums and join the discssion, or submit levels!
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Posts: 498
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby ztarwuff » 1 year ago

Well, now that you mention it, whilst going researching the World 6 levels for my Castle 6 proposal I noticed a minor issue in Mikkofier's raocow's workday.
Mikkofier wrote:*ping*
The LunaLua refers to a yellow switch, but the colour of the switches in the default game is orange.

User avatar
SAJewers
A2XT Guy
Posts: 2048
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby SAJewers » 1 year ago

pholtos wrote: I'll look into it.
Updated your Google Doc. Feel free to use that list.
ztarwuff wrote:
SAJewers wrote:If you mean one of the bridge sections, it's intended that they're a bit easier/breather sections than the vertical sections.
Uh, forget about it for now. It was probably the butterfly NPC souring the rest of the level. I'll try again after I've dealt with the other levels, but from the description given to Break the Needle Cyclops, I don't think I'll have the time until this weekend.
Friendly Dictator wrote:SKULLDUGGERY
REJECTED - but I might have a solution
Unfortunately, you've made the level worse, however, I have hit upon a solution that might salvage this level and give you an excuse to revert the first half back to how it was in your original revision.

First thing's first; it's the bit immediately after the midpoint and the first bit of the second half. The bit immediately after the midpoint really does make it look as if you intend the player to do a blarg jump (I know that's not the intention, but that's only because I've played your original revision and know what you intended me to do). The first bit of the second half is unreasonable given the lava instadeath.

And that's the largest problem of this level, the instadeath. It's not a huge problem near the beginning, but when you have puzzles like the first part of the second half, it gets annoying having to restart the level over and over again in order to hit upon a solution.

So, what you need is something that a player can't step on that the skull rafts can.

Let me to introduce the player blocks (specifically, the Iris player block).

[attachment=0]skullduggery-proposal.PNG[/attachment]

As Iris, the player goes straight through them, but the skullrafts treat these as if they're solid, regardless of whether they're on or not. Below these, you have solid ground, set so low that a player cannot jump straight back up. Place a door there that warps the player back up and you have essentially the same puzzle, but the player no longer needs to die and reenter a level if he or she fails

Obviously, you don't want to do that for every bit of the level so as to give the player some sense of peril, but for the harder sections like say... the first part of the second half and the original last part of the first half from your original revision of this level.

So my suggestion goes as follows: use the first half of your original revision of this level and attach the second half from the latest revision of your level. Replace the lava blocks in the harder sections that FrozenQuill and 8flight complained about with the Iris blocks.


Now, I'm calling this rejected, because ultimately, you need to make a large revision to at least the second half of the level. I can see it being approved if the bare minimum you do is replace some of the lava blocks with player blocks instead. And even then, I would recommend extensions to some platforms and certain platforms being reduced in height or raised. That can be postponed until QA.

Keep it up, though. You're getting close.
Not sure if Friendly Dictator is around anymore, but if you or someone else wants to go ahead and makes those changes, feel free.
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT A SECOND MARIO BROS X. THING. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PMs.
Image
Head over to the ASMBXT Forums and join the discssion, or submit levels!
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Friendly Dictator
rad
Posts: 141
Joined: 5 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Underground Pudding Destoryer
Contact:

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby Friendly Dictator » 1 year ago

I'm still around, I'm just busy. I'll get to it within the next week

User avatar
FrozenQuills
ok flair 2017
Posts: 726
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: my own skull, obviously

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby FrozenQuills » 1 year ago

raocow wrote:rocks sticking out of a lake
Rejected (needs fixes, unable to actually complete)

What a neat simple level. Unfortunately I don't think this was intended:
[attachment=0]wat.PNG[/attachment]
Also, since you placed a warp on a moving layer (the door to the midpoint), the exit point of the door also moves. This leads to unfair deaths but only sometimes (I zipped through the midpoint platform on my first try). Try placing the door on a stationary layer/platform.
Furthermore, although the stuff after the midpoint is a lot more interesting, I can't find a way to get past all the spiky balls. I'm wondering if the platform direction is wrong since they all spawn going down.
Finally the switch blocks around the door only give length to the level and nothing else since nothing changes when you backtrack to hit the switch again. I suggest removing them.
I still like the ideas in this level though, but yeah it needs a lot of fixes.
Attachments
wat.PNG
wat.PNG (49.65 KiB) Viewed 975 times
Image
Image
Image
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
MaGLX2 Level Commentaries (updated up to 169th place) + My entry
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.
Image

5th place counter: 4
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016)

User avatar
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Posts: 1726
Joined: 8 years ago
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby raocow » 1 year ago

what the

it never, ever did that when I was testing, I wonder what happened.. ?!
and the platforms are supposed to go up, yeah, that is really weird.
also, there is supposed to be a yellow goomba to kill to get the switches out, but I can swap the colours or something to make it more obvious.

Give me a sec while I look at this, this is super weird.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Image
Image
Image
ImageImage

User avatar
Pyro
cutest girl 2023
Posts: 872
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronouns: she/her
Location: meow
Contact:

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby Pyro » 1 year ago

raocow wrote: pING
Seems like you're already aware of the issues but I'll post this anyways :3c

rocks sticking out of a lake by raocow [Rejected until changes are made]
professional meme
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
SAJewers
A2XT Guy
Posts: 2048
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby SAJewers » 1 year ago

FrozenQuills wrote:
raocow wrote:rocks sticking out of a lake
Giving the OK on this one, but:

Sometimes that left-most fire cactus won't appear, and the blue goopa usually won't kick that skull.
[attachment=1]2016-01-28_22_24_38.png[/attachment]
You'll need to fix the tags on this one.
[attachment=0]2016-01-28_22_29_19.png[/attachment]
Attachments
2016-01-28_22_29_19.png
2016-01-28_22_29_19.png (16.2 KiB) Viewed 942 times
2016-01-28_22_24_38.png
2016-01-28_22_24_38.png (45.07 KiB) Viewed 942 times
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT A SECOND MARIO BROS X. THING. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PMs.
Image
Head over to the ASMBXT Forums and join the discssion, or submit levels!
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Posts: 1726
Joined: 8 years ago
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby raocow » 1 year ago

alright, so I'll rejigger those sprites on the side there, and I'll set the parallars in section one by one tile back as per pyro's suggestion.

the tags for the white midpoint are correct though
'border_suicide' is the name I gave to my fake band in super old videos
-edit- though it looks like the music code doesn't display underscore. Alright, I'll do that tomorrow also.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Image
Image
Image
ImageImage

User avatar
SAJewers
A2XT Guy
Posts: 2048
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby SAJewers » 1 year ago

Oh, OK. That looked like a mistake to me. Feel free to throw your updated level on the OD.
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT A SECOND MARIO BROS X. THING. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PMs.
Image
Head over to the ASMBXT Forums and join the discssion, or submit levels!
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
FrozenQuills
ok flair 2017
Posts: 726
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: my own skull, obviously

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby FrozenQuills » 1 year ago

raocow wrote:rocks sticking out of a lake
Approved since things were fixed
Image
Image
Image
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
MaGLX2 Level Commentaries (updated up to 169th place) + My entry
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.
Image

5th place counter: 4
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016)

User avatar
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Posts: 498
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby ztarwuff » 1 year ago

Whilst going through the World 6 levels, I've noticed that Mikkofier's levels and Unaniem's level uses mp3 files instead of OGG Vorbis format. I tried converting them, but the Sonic CD one always comes out corrupted and I'm unsure as to the proper ID details for the Monoland mp3s.

May I get some help, please?

User avatar
SAJewers
A2XT Guy
Posts: 2048
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby SAJewers » 1 year ago

Did ANMT for you.
Mikkofier wrote:ping
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT A SECOND MARIO BROS X. THING. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PMs.
Image
Head over to the ASMBXT Forums and join the discssion, or submit levels!
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Mikkofier
A comma before dark is indefensible.
Posts: 634
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Lots of miles from Vietnam
Contact:

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby Mikkofier » 1 year ago

SAJewers wrote:Did ANMT for you.
Mikkofier wrote:ping
Huh?
I never met a man so stupid I could not learn something from him.
-Galileo Galilei
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Image
Avatar source (for most of them).
Image

User avatar
SAJewers
A2XT Guy
Posts: 2048
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby SAJewers » 1 year ago

Mikkofier wrote:
SAJewers wrote:Did ANMT for you.
Mikkofier wrote:ping
Huh?
ztarwuff wrote:Whilst going through the World 6 levels, I've noticed that Mikkofier's levels and Unaniem's level uses mp3 files instead of OGG Vorbis format. I tried converting them, but the Sonic CD one always comes out corrupted and I'm unsure as to the proper ID details for the Monoland mp3s.

May I get some help, please?
^^^

Can you make those changes?
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT A SECOND MARIO BROS X. THING. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PMs.
Image
Head over to the ASMBXT Forums and join the discssion, or submit levels!
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Posts: 498
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby ztarwuff » 1 year ago

Mikkofier wrote:
SAJewers wrote:Did ANMT for you.
Mikkofier wrote:ping
Huh?
I'm converting all your mp3 files to ogg vorbis format. I've managed to find this wiki which lists all the songs and sat there, listening to every single one to figure out which one of your mp3s matched which entry. I've used the name from the second column and the BGM number.

However, I've hit a stumbling block with the one that ends in the name, water. It sounds like it could be BGM 023 Dream Kingdom? for the Pink Sea location, but I'm not entirely sure because the one on the wiki is a lot slower than yours. Would you mind confirming that last mp3 for me, please?

User avatar
Mikkofier
A comma before dark is indefensible.
Posts: 634
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Lots of miles from Vietnam
Contact:

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby Mikkofier » 1 year ago

ztarwuff wrote: I'm converting all your mp3 files to ogg vorbis format. I've managed to find this wiki which lists all the songs and sat there, listening to every single one to figure out which one of your mp3s matched which entry. I've used the name from the second column and the BGM number.

However, I've hit a stumbling block with the one that ends in the name, water. It sounds like it could be BGM 023 Dream Kingdom? for the Pink Sea location, but I'm not entirely sure because the one on the wiki is a lot slower than yours. Would you mind confirming that last mp3 for me, please?
Yeah, that's correct. Weird how it's been sped up, because I copied them from the actual game files...
Sorry you had to sit through the whole soundtrack, hope it was enjoyable at least.
I never met a man so stupid I could not learn something from him.
-Galileo Galilei
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Image
Avatar source (for most of them).
Image

User avatar
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Posts: 498
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby ztarwuff » 1 year ago

SAJewers wrote:Did ANMT for you.
Oh, I see what happened. Was it the brackets in the file name? I opened up the file I created and found it played perfectly, but wouldn't play perfectly in the PGE.
Mikkofier wrote:Yeah, that's correct. Weird how it's been sped up, because I copied them from the actual game files...
Sorry you had to sit through the whole soundtrack, hope it was enjoyable at least.
Eh, it's not a big deal. On the plus side I've given the music their official names now. Or at least, so long as that wiki is accurate.

User avatar
SAJewers
A2XT Guy
Posts: 2048
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Postby SAJewers » 1 year ago

Odd. I'll look into it.
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT A SECOND MARIO BROS X. THING. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PMs.
Image
Head over to the ASMBXT Forums and join the discssion, or submit levels!
Image
Image
Image


Return to “A2XT”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron