(shouting)

Episode 2 Level Review and Testing Discussion

The second SMBX collab!
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: Episode 2 Level Review and Testing Discussion

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

It... worked this time. I guess I just needed to lower an unnecessary security measure to make it work. Thanks for the link.
Now to calm down and test levels. The critiques will be in this post.

EDIT: Yo, I got a review RIGHT HERE! ...Shaddup, Dan's Drive-Ins.

Griffon: a stroll through the forest
This is definitely playable. It's quite linear, which I like. The difficulty progression feels really natural, which is a good sign. The graphics here are consistent... but what's up with that grate section? It plays fine, but it looks a bit off. Unless it's actually me using Vanilla SMBX graphics that are messing that up. Your use of Piranha Plants are particularly nice in the context of this level, and I really dig what you did for that 3-Up moon secret.

As for difficulty... it places itself squarely into World 2 or 3. Those Banana Snakes have a lot to do with it.

All in all, this is a good level that does what it sets out to do, and will probably play pleasantly into a (mostly) unmemorable experience to an average player. There's nothing wrong with that!
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:It... worked this time. I guess I just needed to lower an unnecessary security measure to make it work. Thanks for the link.
Now to calm down and test levels. The critiques will be in this post.

EDIT: Yo, I got a review RIGHT HERE! ...Shaddup, Dan's Drive-Ins.

Griffon: a stroll through the forest
This is definitely playable. It's quite linear, which I like. The difficulty progression feels really natural, which is a good sign. The graphics here are consistent... but what's up with that grate section? It plays fine, but it looks a bit off. Unless it's actually me using Vanilla SMBX graphics that are messing that up. Your use of Piranha Plants are particularly nice in the context of this level, and I really dig what you did for that 3-Up moon secret.

As for difficulty... it places itself squarely into World 2 or 3. Those Banana Snakes have a lot to do with it.

All in all, this is a good level that does what it sets out to do, and will probably play pleasantly into a (mostly) unmemorable experience to an average player. There's nothing wrong with that!
[/ispoiler]

Alrighty, and you're right, the grate section seems a bit of, I think I'll change that Section into more Piranha Plants Pipes Shenanigans when I find the time.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Unfortunately, I don't think a spot left in Ep2 for that level, but if you submit it as final for Ep3, I'll make sure it goes in.

Also note to Zephyr_Dragonlord that you only need to approve levels that in the "Awaiting Review" list; the "Unfinished/WIP Levels" list is supposed to be only for levels that the author doesn't consider finished (at which point they're supposed to put it in the "Awaiting Review" list.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

If you're calling this final (it's still listed in the unfinished list on the wiki), then it's looks good to go from me.
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

are you sure? I'm pretty sure that i moved it into the "Awaiting Review" List and I checked right now, it is there for me.
But yeah, that's the final version. I could stretch the sections, but i'm quite satisfied with it right now.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Because the "Fall" of Demo is a potential World 6 entrant, i had to review it to see what needed to change with my World 6 Castle if it was included. It's alright, but I can't help but wonder why the vine and midpoint are vanilla.

2 glitches found:
Also, I don't know why it was happening but in Section 7 when I was above the submarines, the periscopes were appearing in mid-air and they were yellow.[attachment=0]snapshot.PNG[/attachment]

Also, in Section 7, Warp 6 is supposed to lead to the secret exit, but for some strange reason it's set so that you enter it by going left even though it's at the rightmost end of the screen. (it's slightly further right than the above screenshot). Also, when I attempted to enter it, I got warped into a block and killed.
Attachments
snapshot.PNG
snapshot.PNG (20.93 KiB) Viewed 8079 times
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I have no idea what's going on with that one submarine, so I just removed itI moved those subs up a block. Everything else I've fixed.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Pyro wrote:I've fixed up and made a few changes to XutaWoo's DAMNage and Damnation. IMO it was a good level that just barely fell short of being approved. It'll probably fit best as the last spot in Zebraspace. 2 exits.
The song used is actually a MIDI converted to OGG. Might want to consider using the MIDI to save space, especially considering the drastically improved MIDI support. Also, any chance you can make the Sandwich platforms go at the same fast speed vertically instead of vertically with lua? (if not that's fine, just nitpicking here.)

Otherwise, good to go. Thanks for fixing that one up.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

SAJewers wrote: The song used is actually a MIDI converted to OGG. Might want to consider using the MIDI to save space, especially considering the drastically improved MIDI support. Also, any chance you can make the Sandwich platforms go at the same fast speed vertically instead of vertically with lua? (if not that's fine, just nitpicking here.)

Otherwise, good to go. Thanks for fixing that one up.
Alright, sure. I'll see if I can mess with the platform speed, it might not be possible; then I'll go try and grab the midi and then dump it on the OneDrive if that's ok.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I can do the MIDI for you, since I already did it for when I played the level; just throw the code up either here or on OD.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

Yeaaah turns out the vertical speed for the platform is hardcoded, like most SMBX objects' speeds. :p SMBX is a butt!!!
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Pyro wrote:ATTACK OF THE SLIME MONSTERS, the W2 boss level. I'm not doing the boss though, so whoever is doing that, I just set up an arena and left it blank.
If this is World 2, I think it's way too much, and maybe a tad too long, especially the first half. If this were a late game level, I'd have no problem with it, but it's unfortunately not. Could you tone it down?

Also, not on the wiki.
HenryRichard wrote:Alright finished my level.
Ew, These Non-Newtonian Fluids are Orange!
D/L
This level revolves around a fluid that will swallow you if you stand still on it, but will behave as a solid if you are running fast enough.
Couple things:
1) Don't need the Demo/Iris filter blocks, get rid of them
2)your custom SFX is too loud
3)You can kill yourself at the end after collecting the leek by falling off the cliff
4) Did you intend for the last 3 slimes to not have quicksand?
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

SAJewers wrote: If this is World 2, I think it's way too much, and maybe a tad too long, especially the first half. If this were a late game level, I'd have no problem with it, but it's unfortunately not. Could you tone it down?

Also, not on the wiki.
Yeaaah, that was my fear about it. I'll probably remove some of the tanks and reupload it in an hour or so. Also, I didn't add it to the wiki because I had to do something immediately after. I'll take care of it really quick right now.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Unless someone else gets to it, I'll take a look at it tomorrow then.
HenryRichard
Not a licensed doctor or nurse.

Post by HenryRichard »

All those things have been fixed. Thanks!
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

I actually didn't take much time to fix all the stuff, I updated the dropbox link for ATTACK OF THE SLIME MONSTERS now.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

Sorry for the double-post but
HenryRichard wrote:Ew, These Non-Newtonian Fluids are Orange!
A neat concept, but I almost feel like it's too short? To be fair, though, there isn't too much you can do with this. Maybe have another midpoint and some big huge stretch where you have to run across a chasm of the stuff, and keep your momentum so you don't die?
SAJewers wrote:The Fall of Demo
For some reason, in the pipe right next to the 3-up gourd in section 2 I can enter it like a door instead of it being a pipe. Also, IMO, it'd be much better if the pipes, coins, lava, and water were all in the same style as the ground. It just looks weird the way it is now. The music is also kinda loud and grating too. Other than that stuff, I approve.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Edit: FUCK THIS SHIT!!!! I was logged out during my long review message and have to write it all over again.

Review time:

Damnage and Damnation by XutaWoo and Pyro

now that it has been updated it's a fantastic level.
Thank god these annoying shell generators have been removed as well as some annoyng enemies in annoying places. Due to the multiple checkpoints it's really doable. Actually I only died once while I played this.
The visuals are really great as well.
The only thing I'd change is moving the Bananasnake at the end of the first room a bit more to the left since I tend to always get hit by it when the platform lands on the ground.
An amazing and fun level. Approved by me (even though I don't have the rights to do so).

Ew, These Non-Newtonian Fluids are Orange! by Henry Richards

Another amazing level, this time with a gimmick. It's rather on the short side, but it keeps you on your toes and is a fun little challenge.
The visuals are nice.
Approved.

ATTACK OF THE SLIME MONSTERS by Pyro

Very well designed level there. It's very challenging but doable, especially after the update.
Nothing to say there really. Good design and neat visuals.
Approved.

Finally I have one more suggestion for SAJewers.
Since you have added a few open spots to the different worlds I'd actually add 1 to 2 more levels to world 4 as it feels very short compared to the other worlds.
It wouldn't even need new levels to be made since the two levels I have in mind as perfect candidates for world 4 are already done.
I'd put both Damnage and the Non-Newtonian Fluids level in this world.
With the update and the additional checkpoints Damnage is a very fair level and is actually easier than a few of the otehr world 4 levels like Haizy Maze Cave or Bat-an-Eye. It would fit perfectly in a world with some rather short levels. For world 9 it's way too easy right now. But as a world 4 level it would just work fine.
The Fluids level would also fit into world 4.

I now realized that Damnage and Damnation was supposed to be the penultimate level of world 9? Like really? As I wrote it's not that difficult, world 4 difficulty at the very least. Most of the world 9 levels if not all of them are way, way harder than this: just compare it to Super Demo and Needle Cyclops. When it comes to a perfect penultimate level I'd pick the level by Franky (which is really unforgiving) or the Luna Tower sequel (which is long and really hard). Both of these would be better candidates. I don't judge world 9 by theme but by difficulty and when it comes to Damnation it is a fantastic level, but it just isn't world 9 stuff.

So SAJewers, I suggest playing other world 4 levels again quickly (especially the harder ones like Bat-an-Eye or Haizy Maze Cave) and compare it to those. You will probably notice that it's not that much harder (I'd even dare to say that it's easier than the Bat level).
Haizy Maze Cave puts the player under some pressure due to the poison filled cave an when you run to the item that protects you from it you ahve to deal with a lot of enemies). Damnation however doesn't have a lot of enemies on screen. Everything is very easy to plan ahead. So it really feels like world 4.

So yeah putting these two levels in this world would make it as long as world 6 and offer a nice variety of awesome cave levels. :)
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Pyro wrote:Sorry for the double-post but
HenryRichard wrote:Ew, These Non-Newtonian Fluids are Orange!
A neat concept, but I almost feel like it's too short? To be fair, though, there isn't too much you can do with this. Maybe have another midpoint and some big huge stretch where you have to run across a chasm of the stuff, and keep your momentum so you don't die?
SAJewers wrote:The Fall of Demo
For some reason, in the pipe right next to the 3-up gourd in section 2 I can enter it like a door instead of it being a pipe. Also, IMO, it'd be much better if the pipes, coins, lava, and water were all in the same style as the ground. It just looks weird the way it is now. The music is also kinda loud and grating too. Other than that stuff, I approve.
Huh. I'll look into that warp.

The coins, lava, pipes, and water were that way originally. I can change the pipes though, the rest I'll look into.

Music is the best remix I could find of that song, which was what was originally used. Maybe I'll give it another look.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

Slit08 wrote: I now realized that Damnage and Damnation was supposed to be the penultimate level of world 9? Like really? As I wrote it's not that difficult, world 4 difficulty at the very least. Most of the world 9 levels if not all of them are way, way harder than this: just compare it to Super Demo and Needle Cyclops. When it comes to a perfect penultimate level I'd pick the level by Franky (which is really unforgiving) or the Luna Tower sequel (which is long and really hard). Both of these would be better candidates. I don't judge world 9 by theme but by difficulty and when it comes to Damnation it is a fantastic level, but it just isn't world 9 stuff.
I don't think it being put as last in the list of W9 levels means that it's going to be the penultimate level. Plus it has two exits, which could make it one of the first levels in the world and have a path split. Also Haizy Maze Cave and Bat an Eye are not that hard.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Haizy Maze Cave is fine for World 4, and I can agree with you somewhat for Bat an eye being bit a tad too hard for the midgame, but I'm not sure if it's harder than DAMNage and Damnnation IMO.

Also, thanks for telling me I forgot add the extra spot and town to World 4.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

SAJewers wrote:Haizy Maze Cave is fine for World 4, and I can agree with you somewhat for Bat an eye being bit a tad too hard for the midgame, but I'm not sure if it's harder than DAMNage and Damnnation IMO.

Also, thanks for telling me I forgot add the extra spot and town to World 4.
Alright, I wouldn't move Bat-an-Eye though. It's right where it belongs. Maybe this one can be the level efore the castle level?
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Skulldug13 wrote:Hey here a new level i made for temple world (Its not like my other levels) like it doesn't suck so here is the link
https://www.mediafire.com/?gvi3bgp5xr8ah6a
It would be considerate to post your level first as unfinished, so people can actually see it and give constructive criticism, and actually tell you it's a good level or not, where to take it, etc, and call it final when you're happy with it and other people are receptive to the level, rather posting it as final right from the get-go.

As for the level itself,
The design is mostly there, but the asthetic you've given it feels too lolrandom that it's hard for me to like it. It's hard for me to say much about the level, but I'm not really a fan, sorry.

Also, I can't see this being in World 3. It would have to be in World 6, and there's no spots left. Maybe come back for Ep3.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Can I get some people (I don't really care who) to play some of the Unfinished levels listed on the Wiki? http://asmbxt.wikia.com/wiki/Levels/Epi ... WIP_levels
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

gameguy888 wrote:Hazy Maize Cave
For me personally, this level is a weird mixture of annoying and fun. I like the atmophsere of the level and the gameplay is good and varied. Somewhat. I feel as if the platforming near the end of Section 4 is kind of unnecessary filler and could be cut, but that's my opinion.

What killed it for me is some of the enemy placements and the haze effect.

The corn glow and the haze effects are definitely interfering with my ability to see where I am on the screen. I'm running into enemies and misjudging where they are in relation to where I am, which makes the banansnakes really irritating. I've tried playing as Iris and I find the level next to impossible with her. She's green, the background's green, the haze is giving everything a green tint, the goo bats are also green. I'd suggest you make everything purple, but damnit, fire Iris is purple!

Irritatingly, after I passed the midpoint, I accidentally threw the corn into the water and couldn't retrieve it in time. Annoyingly, that meant I was as good as dead, even though I could return to the midpoint. The corn wouldn't spawn! It would only respawn after I died.

As I said before, the bananasnakes are kind of annoying. As are the lovefrogs. I tanked my way through them; I was testing as raocow. The one near the start of Section 5 was especially bad. Try as I might I couldn't get safely past him or kill him without getting hit.

In summary: it's actually quite good. Take my criticisms with a grain of salt. I seem to be the only one testing who has problems seeing the player characters against certain backgrounds or distinguishing between certain graphics.