(shouting)

Episode 2 Level Review and Testing Discussion

The second SMBX collab!
sedron
im proud of you kid

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Post by sedron »

Might get to some more new reviews before bed, not sure yet. For now, I have reviews for Hoeloe's updates.

I encountered the same layer glitch as Mindez in Demo's Journey Through Time, but I doubt you can do much about it. Maybe if you're creative with making the moving layer disappear and reappear. Otherwise I think the level is good.

I have a lot more to say about the next level, as I've played through the majority of it now.

The Descent of Nine - Hoeloe (Updated Version)
The level as a whole feels better, but I don't know how much of it is because I've seen a lot of the traps ahead of time, so definitely get a fresh pair of eyes on this one. I do believe that the kicking Goopa was a nice addition (one of the rare times that sentence was ever said or written.)

There are definitely things that need fixing, though.

- Is the secret exit alluded to anywhere? I found it early on, but I have no idea where it's hinted at if it is. If Ep 2 is like the first one, you can't expect the player to know there are two exits going in.

- The hint to the lunapoint from the 2nd circle to the 3rd is misleading. As it speaks of the "first flame," it's very likely the player won't know it's talking about the fire power-up since they weren't supposed to hit that block. They may look for something like a candle, and just not find the lunapoint.

- The 3rd Circle as a whole is not the best. It's a huge difficulty spike (the difficulty as a whole in this level is doable, but not at all consistent,) and it gives the least leeway possible. 1 block wide gaps are rarely a good idea, and this mixes those gaps with lot of projectiles. This circle and the 9th are the only two I didn't complete legit. Even the parts that give maneuverability are notably harder.

- In the 4th Circle, if you get a coin before the Disco is on screen, it stays stuck on a wall until you approach it, banging into it repeatedly and making a lot of noise.

- The 4th Circle has a major design issue. The main gimmick is very ignorable. Truth is, it's not much harder when you pick up a coin, and avoiding them is a bit trickier. Every run I did, I didn't bother avoiding coins and rolled with it. The Disco section is tough, but tankable if need be, and the Thwomps later are tricky but doable. I think this section needs to be reworked a bit. The reset block's function is not obvious, as players may test it out before grabbing a coin (I predict this is exactly what raocow would do.) If you know what it does it just makes the section easier, which kind of stinks since it's already pretty easy.

- The jump after the Thwomps at the start of the 5th circle sucks if you're big. It's not easy small, but it feels like BMD (Big Mario Discrimination.) Seeing as a player is likely to stumble upon it while big the first time if they pass the Thwomps unscathed, it's an issue worth addressing.

- Why is all of the lava mismatched? You're using different lava tilesets together. It's almost all SMW lava except for one block of SMB3 that you use all over the place. It creates cutoff and seems to serve no purpose, and it's very noticeable.

- The 6th Circle, like the 4th, is very easy. Most of it can be dodged by sitting in the middle of the screen and jumping appropriately. It gets tougher further down, but not by much.

- The 8th Circle has a weird block that isn't solid at the very end. It doesn't look like it's supposed to be that way.

- The 9th Circle is slightly wide, which makes the screen scroll for a second at certain moments. I think it's distracting, and cutting two blocks off of the horizontal screen size probably wouldn't be too much of a chore. Unless there's some reason it needs to be this wide, I'd suggest cutting it down slightly.

- Finally, the leap of faith. Screw that jump. When I read the stone, I thought that meant jump and just let yourself fall. By the time I noticed the coins leading to the right, it was too late. There's no reason to have that be an obstacle, let alone the last one in the level. It's a terrible way to end the stage and if it kills the player (which it probably will,) they will not enjoy it. The final Circle isn't a cakewalk.

So, work on getting the difficulty down and make a few minor changes. I do think this level is a great send-up to the original that feels like a continuation. It lacks some of the "wow," factor, but I don't know if that is because I'm just jaded from having seen both levels more than once. Definitely keep working on it.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

sedron wrote: The Descent of Nine - Hoeloe (Updated Version)
The level as a whole feels better, but I don't know how much of it is because I've seen a lot of the traps ahead of time, so definitely get a fresh pair of eyes on this one. I do believe that the kicking Goopa was a nice addition (one of the rare times that sentence was ever said or written.)

There are definitely things that need fixing, though.

- Is the secret exit alluded to anywhere? I found it early on, but I have no idea where it's hinted at if it is. If Ep 2 is like the first one, you can't expect the player to know there are two exits going in.

- The hint to the lunapoint from the 2nd circle to the 3rd is misleading. As it speaks of the "first flame," it's very likely the player won't know it's talking about the fire power-up since they weren't supposed to hit that block. They may look for something like a candle, and just not find the lunapoint.

- The 3rd Circle as a whole is not the best. It's a huge difficulty spike (the difficulty as a whole in this level is doable, but not at all consistent,) and it gives the least leeway possible. 1 block wide gaps are rarely a good idea, and this mixes those gaps with lot of projectiles. This circle and the 9th are the only two I didn't complete legit. Even the parts that give maneuverability are notably harder.

- In the 4th Circle, if you get a coin before the Disco is on screen, it stays stuck on a wall until you approach it, banging into it repeatedly and making a lot of noise.

- The 4th Circle has a major design issue. The main gimmick is very ignorable. Truth is, it's not much harder when you pick up a coin, and avoiding them is a bit trickier. Every run I did, I didn't bother avoiding coins and rolled with it. The Disco section is tough, but tankable if need be, and the Thwomps later are tricky but doable. I think this section needs to be reworked a bit. The reset block's function is not obvious, as players may test it out before grabbing a coin (I predict this is exactly what raocow would do.) If you know what it does it just makes the section easier, which kind of stinks since it's already pretty easy.

- The jump after the Thwomps at the start of the 5th circle sucks if you're big. It's not easy small, but it feels like BMD (Big Mario Discrimination.) Seeing as a player is likely to stumble upon it while big the first time if they pass the Thwomps unscathed, it's an issue worth addressing.

- Why is all of the lava mismatched? You're using different lava tilesets together. It's almost all SMW lava except for one block of SMB3 that you use all over the place. It creates cutoff and seems to serve no purpose, and it's very noticeable.

- The 6th Circle, like the 4th, is very easy. Most of it can be dodged by sitting in the middle of the screen and jumping appropriately. It gets tougher further down, but not by much.

- The 8th Circle has a weird block that isn't solid at the very end. It doesn't look like it's supposed to be that way.

- The 9th Circle is slightly wide, which makes the screen scroll for a second at certain moments. I think it's distracting, and cutting two blocks off of the horizontal screen size probably wouldn't be too much of a chore. Unless there's some reason it needs to be this wide, I'd suggest cutting it down slightly.

- Finally, the leap of faith. Screw that jump. When I read the stone, I thought that meant jump and just let yourself fall. By the time I noticed the coins leading to the right, it was too late. There's no reason to have that be an obstacle, let alone the last one in the level. It's a terrible way to end the stage and if it kills the player (which it probably will,) they will not enjoy it. The final Circle isn't a cakewalk.

So, work on getting the difficulty down and make a few minor changes. I do think this level is a great send-up to the original that feels like a continuation. It lacks some of the "wow," factor, but I don't know if that is because I'm just jaded from having seen both levels more than once. Definitely keep working on it.
There is a hint about the secret exit on the sign at the end of the regular exit, but it may be too cryptic to work with. I'll give it another look.

Yes, that hint was one that was worrying me. I'll think of a way to rework it.

The point of the 3rd circle was that you're only supposed to be able to do it small. The one-block-wide gaps were to prevent the player from running through it big. I may be able to rework it, though.

I'm not sure what I can do about the disco to be honest, short of making a trigger section that spawns it in.

Ah. That circle was originally the hardest one, and there were a few complaints about the difficulty. It seems my attempts to tone it down have been too extreme. I'll work on boosting the difficulty without coins there, and working on the switch block.

Fair enough. I was wondering if that worked. Looks like it doesn't.

That was by design, but I can boost the difficulty a little there.

Might need a screenshot of this one. There are a few non-solid blocks in the 8th circle because the top screen is supposed to be the one with the "true" level, while the bottom one is false. I'm not sure if what you're talking about is by design, or a mistake I've made in editing.

Fair enough. I can do something about that.
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

Played through The Chest and Valterri's Fortstress
The Chest by LittleBoo
Bullet spam is not difficulty. Even if you do put them in the most diabolical places(i.e. the one with the skull and the jumping green goopa).

If you want this level to be more difficult, consider getting rid of many shell-giving enemies in the level. They make everything kinda easy. In fact, this is a level that takes place in a giant chest. So, why not take advantage of that? Make it more compact, add some treasure traps, add some key-puzzles, maybe turn the big boos into mimics, etc.

Funny thing about Mother Brain: you can cheese her with ANY projectile or enemy. Should probably consider replacing all throwable enemies with bob-ombs and making the Golem harder to reach.

Speaking of Golem, he needs some respriting. Mostly, because he looks more like the Yellow Devil right now, but also because the sprite itself doesn't look much like a golem.

"Thou mustn't fight the golem of gold". ...But how will I beat the level then?

Change the non-friendly shaman to something else. It's kinda "fake difficulty" to have the rest of the shamans be Friendly and then there's this one lying jerk, who kills you.

Those bob-ombs at the start are just kinda there, being nonthreatening.

I feel like this level could be great. The design is there(with some minor kinks to work out), but there's not a whole lot of interesting going on.
Valtteri's Fortstress: Overused Graphics Edition by Wind
aka, How To Murder My Computer.
First things first, I know a little bit of the #shittyepisode and Knux's Adventure, but I doubt that anybody else on the talkhaus, let alone your average person will. Also, considering what I know of #shittyepisode and Knux's Adventure, I'm not sure how seriously should I take this level and whether this isn't just a troll level. Probably not.

You misplaced your level start.

Man, these graphics are nice. I especially like the flying spike balls, which are just adorable.

OH MY CHRIST, WHY ARE THERE SO MUCH UNNECESSARY WARPS. You have a 100 of them, but you never use them all. You never need to go back in the fortress, so why do you have them?

Hello, auditory whiplash in Valterri's House and Fortstress Escape.

Nice event syncing in the end there.

The boss is far too laggy to be acceptable.

Overall, design-wise this is postgame material. Not in the sense of difficulty, but in the sense of unrelatability. The design is nice, but it more or less kinda happens. In fact, aside from the meta-self-referential humor(UGH), this level has nothing going for it.

Concept-wise, this level is dead on arrival, as nobody except SOME smbxers will get it. Too injokey, you know.

Also, it's over 10 MB. The limit is about 4 MB.
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

Oddwrath wrote:Played through The Chest and Valterri's Fortstress
The Chest by LittleBoo
Bullet spam is not difficulty. Even if you do put them in the most diabolical places(i.e. the one with the skull and the jumping green goopa).

If you want this level to be more difficult, consider getting rid of many shell-giving enemies in the level. They make everything kinda easy. In fact, this is a level that takes place in a giant chest. So, why not take advantage of that? Make it more compact, add some treasure traps, add some key-puzzles, maybe turn the big boos into mimics, etc.

Funny thing about Mother Brain: you can cheese her with ANY projectile or enemy. Should probably consider replacing all throwable enemies with bob-ombs and making the Golem harder to reach.

Speaking of Golem, he needs some respriting. Mostly, because he looks more like the Yellow Devil right now, but also because the sprite itself doesn't look much like a golem.

"Thou mustn't fight the golem of gold". ...But how will I beat the level then?

Change the non-friendly shaman to something else. It's kinda "fake difficulty" to have the rest of the shamans be Friendly and then there's this one lying jerk, who kills you.

Those bob-ombs at the start are just kinda there, being nonthreatening.

I feel like this level could be great. The design is there(with some minor kinks to work out), but there's not a whole lot of interesting going on.
-Currently Reworking the level a bit, removed like 80% of the bullets.

-I really should do that, but i can't remove the Golden Goopas, or the thwomps, cause the go with the "OOOOoooH this is a chest and there's loads o' gold in 'ere" theme

-Yes that is a bit of a problem, though i fixed it the boss is way more difficult so i added a 40 second tier 1 power up dispenser. (I changed some things in the boss fight to make it more difficult.

-I'm not that good at spriting but i'll try to make it more golem-like... (somehow)

-Come on, the shaman thinks that you are weak and that you'll die. Nonetheless i changed the dialogue box a little bit

-I actually just made him friendly and warn you about the traps that i'll get to in a bit

-Changed the thing to make them more threatening

now about the traps, i made some gold piles create a hole, but there's a hint of where it's going to happen in order to be fair.

Pretty much remodeling the level. (not remaking)
:trans_pride:
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Oddwrath wrote:Also, it's over 10 MB. The limit is about 4 MB.
ASMBXT had a limit of about 10 MB. It should be preferably lower than that though.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

I think I'm finally done reviewing the second batch of levels I downloaded. Jeez that took a while.

Amazing Plumber Nightmare 64 - Ztarwuff
Oh boy pipe mazes.

Seriously though, while most of the level plays just fine, I can't stand a pipe maze. The end bit is pretty horrible. It's not obvious that the level is asking you to remember a color sequence, and even then who wants to do that while handling legit platforming? The level is adamant that you go back if you're not sure what the sequence is, but you're essentially asking the player to just replay the stage, which isn't optimal.

I brute forced the entire "maze," sequence at the end. It's not fun. The rest of the level is fine, and I had fun with it, but even if it's a better-designed pipe maze than most, it's still a pipe maze. The areas in that sequence aren't even safe. You'd be a lot better off just making it a pipe-themed level with something to replace the maze sequence.

Also, I think the music could probably be more fitting. It's a song that I, personally, equate with a more forest-y level, though that could just be me on this one. Also hearing the Lullaby everywhere isn't really the best for the song.

Aside from the ending, though, this level is absolutely solid.
Gravity Falls - Ztarwuff
Let me start off by saying I really like raocop. I think seeing him just being silly here and there (without spewing raomemes,) is a nice touch. The Toads building the end goal is also funny, though I have to wonder if you could make them into the replacement NPC's from the first episode. Consistency is always nice, and I'm sure getting a Metool helmet onto one of those guys wouldn't be too hard.

I enjoyed the stage's theme quite a lot. The gameplay is well-done and it feels rough without being too hard. My biggest complaint would be that the final puzzle is a huge step up from previous ones. It took a while for me to get that one, partially because it can potentially shoot you and your avenues of escape are limited. I don't even really know if I did what was intended, since I didn't use the orange switch at all.

Some things look weird under the transparency effect, and the snifit replacements are very difficult to see when in the water.

Finally, I'm really not a fan of the music here. I'm not sure that the audio quality is that great, and on top of that it, again, doesn't feel very fitting.
Shroom Samba Spelunkin’ – Ztarwuff
You took the main premise of Fluffy Quest, and made it not constant, but way more disorienting. Why would you do that, Ztarwuff?

I was excited by the level title because I like the premise, but it needs to be more laid-back than this, I think. I'm not experienced with drugs, mind you, but this seems pretty firmly in "bad trip," territory. I'm not sure how much of it was just me being hot or whatever while playing, but the first few times I touched a Shaman my head and eyes kind of hurt. Seeing as this kind of issue rarely surfaces with me, I can assume somebody else will have a problem with it.

The fact that you make everything move, like in Fluffy Quest, means the same issues that level had could pop up here. That's potentially infuriating.

The way the Shaman's work switches from harmful to helpful midway through the stage. I think the level would be better if they were consistent throughout. In the second half they mainly act as glorified P-switches. There are probably more inventive ways to utilize them.

The midpoint area is way too dangerous. Since the player is probably still in samba mode upon reaching it, there's a good chance they'll smack into an enemy and die. There's no real reason for that area to be dangerous at all. A red Goopa starts a few blocks away from the respawn point.

You have a blind jump from the blue switch to the boss door. That's definitely not acceptable.

The boss, Harvester, has an awful lot going on at once. I'm not sure that it's too hard, seeing as I beat it in one go, but I didn't really feel like I earned the win. It just kind of happened, and I was lucky enough not to get hit by stalagtites after a claw hit me through the Harvester's body. The amount going on at once needs to be toned down, I think.

The secret exit is honestly something I had to go back for because I forgot it was there. I don't exactly know how you're supposed to find it, since the key is out of the way (though I found that on my own,) and the door is way, way out of the way in an already huge stage. I could have missed something, admittedly, but it feels like it's too much.

Finally, why does Pal talk? That seems wrong. I'm definitely not the one to say what characters should be able to do and say, but that seems distinctly not-Pal-like.

I wouldn't personally want to play this level again without some major revisions. It's doable, by all means, but there's a lot of flaws. Your other levels were, on the whole, much more enjoyable for me.
Ups and Downs of a Demo – Ztarwuff
Oh hey, I remember this one from a long time ago! It's Down Under, but heavily revamped! I'm happy to see it again. =D

It feels improved over Down Under. While I still feel a bit like I'm bumbling through somepuzzles, I think that's a problem on my end at this point, and I noticed that wasn't an issue for most of the puzzles. The music is pretty great, though I do kind of miss the devkit music (Down Under is one of the only places I remember where that particular song would actually run for a while.) There's no need to change it back, since the new song, like I said, is definitely cool.

One major thing, and I have no idea how I did it, but I got stuck out of bounds in the midpoint puzzle room. If I can recreate it and explain it I will, but do know that it's totally possible. I'm not sure how frequent an occurrence this would be.

I think this level is really fun! Good job!
Fun side fact, I noticed 3/4 of those levels contained puzzles (the pipe maze puzzle, the bouncing object puzzles in Gravity Falls and all of Ups and Downs of a Demo.) It's funny seeing what certain developers tend to make most (Mikkofier with his story-in-a-level levels with bosses capping most of them off, you with puzzles, etc.)
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Mindez wrote:Anybody looking for levels to review that haven't been reviewed yet may wish to check this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

(I like spreadsheets) (This is based purely on the submission and review thread, not the wiki)
This chart is great. Perhaps the opening post of the thread could be edited to include this link?
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Jolpengammler wrote:Typical Sky Level
This download link for Jolpengammler - Typical Sky Level doesn't seem to work. I'm getting what I think is German for "file does not exist."
Wind

Post by Wind »

Oddwrath wrote:First things first, I know a little bit of the #shittyepisode and Knux's Adventure, but I doubt that anybody else on the talkhaus, let alone your average person will. Also, considering what I know of #shittyepisode and Knux's Adventure, I'm not sure how seriously should I take this level and whether this isn't just a troll level. Probably not.
Actually, the level has nothing to do with those two. It's supposed to be a serious joke level, if that makes sense.
Oddwrath wrote:You misplaced your level start.
siiiiigh
I should test my levels more often.
Oddwrath wrote:Man, these graphics are nice. I especially like the flying spike balls, which are just adorable.
Yeah, aren't they?! I made the flying spike balls myself, I am very proud of them :wink:
Oddwrath wrote:OH MY CHRIST, WHY ARE THERE SO MUCH UNNECESSARY WARPS. You have a 100 of them, but you never use them all. You never need to go back in the fortress, so why do you have them?
Ehhhh, I don't see a problem with them. It's not like they break the level or anything.
Oddwrath wrote:Hello, auditory whiplash in Valterri's House and Fortstress Escape.
What do you mean :cry:
Oddwrath wrote:The boss is far too laggy to be acceptable.
Aw. It doesn't lag at all for me.
Oddwrath wrote:Overall, design-wise this is postgame material. Not in the sense of difficulty, but in the sense of unrelatability. The design is nice, but it more or less kinda happens. In fact, aside from the meta-self-referential humor(UGH), this level has nothing going for it.
Well, glad it happened, I guess!!!
Concept-wise, this level is dead on arrival, as nobody except SOME smbxers will get it. Too injokey, you know.
Yeah. I did try to add some jokes you'd understand as well, but eh, I don't know this place very well at all so...
Oddwrath wrote:Also, it's over 10 MB. The limit is about 4 MB.
???? I tried looking in the FAQ thread, they only mention "huge filesize". Is the precise file limit mentioned somewhere?
99% of the avatar made by Enjl
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

The filesize limit is 10mb with reasonable exceptions
Image Image
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

sedron wrote:
Gravity Falls - Ztarwuff
The Toads building the end goal is also funny, though I have to wonder if you could make them into the replacement NPC's from the first episode. Consistency is always nice, and I'm sure getting a Metool helmet onto one of those guys wouldn't be too hard.
Wait, what? I asked darkychao to make those sprites specifically for this level. They're supposed to be in there. If it weren't for this level, Darkychao would have never made those sprites.
Finally, I'm really not a fan of the music here. I'm not sure that the audio quality is that great, and on top of that it, again, doesn't feel very fitting.
That's odd. You're the second person to say that. I thought it was very fitting because it had a Portal-vibe to it. You and Septentrion have got to tell me why it's not fitting, otherwise I might end up finding another piece that's just as unfitting.
Shroom Samba Spelunkin’ – Ztarwuff
You took the main premise of Fluffy Quest, and made it not constant, but way more disorienting. Why would you do that, Ztarwuff?

I was excited by the level title because I like the premise, but it needs to be more laid-back than this, I think. I'm not experienced with drugs, mind you, but this seems pretty firmly in "bad trip," territory. I'm not sure how much of it was just me being hot or whatever while playing, but the first few times I touched a Shaman my head and eyes kind of hurt. Seeing as this kind of issue rarely surfaces with me, I can assume somebody else will have a problem with it.

The fact that you make everything move, like in Fluffy Quest, means the same issues that level had could pop up here. That's potentially infuriating.

he way the Shaman's work switches from harmful to helpful midway through the stage. I think the level would be better if they were consistent throughout. In the second half they mainly act as glorified P-switches. There are probably more inventive ways to utilize them.
Well, I guess I can tone down the movements a bit. But it is a tribute to a game which has this exact same gimmick in one of its levels. Mind you, they started being helpful a third of the way into the original level.
The midpoint area is way too dangerous.

You have a blind jump from the blue switch to the boss door. That's definitely not acceptable.
Fair enough. I'll change those.
The boss, Harvester, has an awful lot going on at once. I'm not sure that it's too hard, seeing as I beat it in one go, but I didn't really feel like I earned the win. It just kind of happened, and I was lucky enough not to get hit by stalagtites after a claw hit me through the Harvester's body. The amount going on at once needs to be toned down, I think.
Once again, it's a tribute to the boss from the game I was talking about. Exact same premise.

The secret exit is honestly something I had to go back for because I forgot it was there. I don't exactly know how you're supposed to find it, since the key is out of the way (though I found that on my own,) and the door is way, way out of the way in an already huge stage. I could have missed something, admittedly, but it feels like it's too much.
Of the three people to have tested it so far, you're the only one to have a problem with it, but I'll bear your comment in mind and if others start complaining, I'll axe it from the level.
Finally, why does Pal talk? That seems wrong. I'm definitely not the one to say what characters should be able to do and say, but that seems distinctly not-Pal-like.
Because this level was made before the graphics pack was updated and before Episode 1 was released. Do you think I should replace him outright with a DJ or just make him mute and add some headphones? Which do you think would be clearer?
I wouldn't personally want to play this level again without some major revisions. It's doable, by all means, but there's a lot of flaws. Your other levels were, on the whole, much more enjoyable for me.
I'll see what I can do to tone it down. Certainly, the switch between helpful and harmful isn't in the right place and isn't anywhere near gradual enough. Maybe I can change the boss, but I've no idea how I can do that without it becoming unrecognisable.
Ups and Downs of a Demo – Ztarwuff
One major thing, and I have no idea how I did it, but I got stuck out of bounds in the midpoint puzzle room. If I can recreate it and explain it I will, but do know that it's totally possible. I'm not sure how frequent an occurrence this would be.
Okay, when you say you got stuck out of bounds, what do you mean by that?

As for Amazing Plumber Nightmare 64... damn it. Although... I think I may have a different idea for the second half that might work without me having to cut the pipe maze. If that doesn't work, do you think the first half of the level is a decent enough size to stand alone?
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Okay, I have a lot of level review stuff today.

Frolic - Mikkofier (Update)
I think this level is pretty good to go. It's a fun, cute romp that I think has a definite place in the early game.

I would like to point out again that getting lives in this level is effortless because of the Pow Block Monthra and the coins. It's like an instant 70+ lives. If you're fine with rewarding the player so much it's cool, but I don't know how the game as a whole is handling lives yet, so keep that in mind.
raocow's Workday - Mikkofier
This is a level that I reviewed a few months back, and I liked it back then. I think it's still just as good now, though I've noticed a couple of things that need fixing.

First, and most importantly, it is possible, in the room with the switches, to get yourself trapped with no way to die. You have a set of Metroid pipes on the right side of the room used to ascend, and there's a 1-block wide gap in them. By crouch sliding into the gap and turning away, the play will zip through and get stuck behind it. I accidentally did this because of a weird jump and ended up stuck (though I cheated my way out, so no harm done, really.) This can potentially ruin an otherwise good level, so definitely fix it.

The other change is minor. The orange switch box says "one of the first thing," which should be pluralized into "things."

I do have two suggestions for the switch room, though neither is going to make or break your level. The first would be removing the grey snifit replacement from the top left corner of the room (with the lava(?) pool.) He makes the jump a bit harder than the rest of the level. Second, maybe find some way to make it obvious if a switch has been hit from the switches themselves. You could use blocks that are activated by switches to block them once they've been hit, or events to make them disappear once used. It seems odd that I can repeatedly trigger the orange switch's text by hitting it.

The gameplay here is solid, and I enjoy the sense of humor. Plus, you manage to make a climax without a boss fight. I think this and Frolic are your strongest works thus far.
White Void - Rusbojis (Update)
I found that the player can run over the ceiling at the part with the chains in the first major room. You might wanna fix that. The bullet bills appear to stay on screen when the boss dies, but I don't know why that is.

The ceiling thing should be fixed, but otherwise I think you've got this one down.
Bat An Eye - Oddwrath (Update)
The changes make this a much, much better level. Not only did I find myself actually able to make progress, but despite still dying several times I felt the desire to actually try again. That's a huge difference.

I still have some things to point out, but recommended changes are fairly minimal this time around.

The Shaman at the start has a typo. It should say "exercise." He's a nice touch overall, though.

During the shortcut, it appears some of the bats can actually enter the solid area. I don't know if that's intentional.

You have one or two places where the player can be stuck waiting to die in a spike pit. I think it may be tricky to fix because of the way bats are set up but optimally the player won't have to wait to die in those instances (even better, they should probably be able to exit those spike pits.)

Finally, there were 2 or 3 bats that still move forward when activated. Again, I don't know if this is intentional. If it is then by all means keep it.

Additionally, I think putting a bat at the start to demonstrate how they move was a good choice on your part.

So, you can still tweak a few things here and there, but this is a massive improvement over the originally submitted version. It's still difficult, and I can see it being end-game material, but it's fun difficult now.
Frightening Factory - Darkonius64
The only thing you need to change is the submission format. Check my review for White Void by Rusbojis on page two if you need to know how to correctly format it, as I wrote all of it there.

It's just like when I played it months ago, otherwise. The level is skillfully crafted to be fun and have awesome atmosphere. The boss fight is good, the stage design is good, it's overall really good. I'd easily recommend this for inclusion.
The Grand Rescue - DrFreeman
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this level, so far. I think it needs some improvement, but it isn't too far off.

First, some minor things not associated as much with the level design itself. The woofing Goopa at the start could just be a standstill NPC on the other side. It's not necessarily bad that he's running around in the corner, but it looks kind of odd. Is there a reason for it?

The tilesets used are pretty mismatched. SMB1 Castle flooring with Metroid stuff in the ceiling looks a bit clashy, and I don't know why the whole lab wouldn't be more like the Metroid stuff. In addition, you should probably make the ceilings less empty. The whole level feels more empty as a result of the way the ceiling is set up. Filling it in should be simple. I do like that Pal is near the end of the first lab room though, so leaving some space for him (with a background behind him, most likely,) would be a nice touch.

The music in the boss room resets once the dialogue progresses enough, which is odd. Additionally, the whole "boss is a regular enemy pushover," thing has been done several times at this point. I'm guilty of it, too. I think this game even has that happen in one or two levels already. So, I suggest making the boss fight a little different. Maybe have him run away instead, or just give up when you reach him. A little change like that would likely make the level more memorable. On a related note, when the pipe appears, if you're standing in the right spot you can clip through it. That's a minor issue, though, and you kind of need to be trying to make that happen.

I have two reasons for thinking the main level music should be changed. The first is that my submitted level already uses it, and I kind of wanted to use unique music for the level. Secondly, and this may be colored by already having used it in Entropy Engine, I just don't think it fits the mood of the level that well. It seems like it should be livelier and more excited. I just tried the level with a more excited song and it felt more appropriate. Obviously I like the song, but there's definitely a better fit (there are other obscure Wily themes as well, if you want one of those. You're obviously a Mega Man fan so I'm sure you can find one that works better if you want.)

Now, let's get to the stage design. It's heavily dependent on enemies, and kind of goes overboard at times. The very end of the first lab room is the best example, though there are other spots. Use smart enemy placement instead of using them in large numbers and the level will be better for it. Also, the elevator section feels like an exercise in tanking more than anything. The launched catepillarballs are basically impossible to predict, and because you're on a layer moving upwards you have restricted mobility (on an already small platform.) Obstacles in this section are either nearly impossible to dodge or nearly impossible to get hit by (like the bullet bills.) I think that section just needs to be reworked with different enemy types. Utilizing more land-based obstacles like near the end would work well, too.

The Grand Rescue, as it stands right now, is pretty straightforward and average. You're still new to the engine, and for someone who's just starting it's certainly a noble attempt. I think you just need to work on it a bit more to make it more than average. The pieces are definitely there.
Submerged Spaceway – Heavy Sigh
Hoo boy.

I'm sorry, but this is a mess. There are a lot of issues.

The biggest problem is the stage design, which basically amounts to enemy spam. The enemy types seem chosen at random, and they're just kind of thrown about all over the place. The ascending part has a few jumps that are just way harder than anything else in the level. The price for missing these jumps is replaying a large chunk of level, and that kind of sucks, especially when the player is probably going to mess up multiple times on a single innocuous-looking jump.

The graphics are okay for the most part, but there are a few tile swaps that just aren't there. Right-facing cave tiles are just all over the place, and the diamond-shaped platforms at the start of the vertical section have the same problem.

The warp to the last section isn't facing the right direction.

The last snifit replacement glitches out of its little hole, possibly killing the alien in the process.

The final room is a disaster. It looks like it came from that joke level that got second to last place in MaglX. It's just blocks placed haphazardly with a bunch of pitcher plant spam.

A lot of levels need some work, but this level needs a LOT of work. I don't believe that it comes anywhere near the quality of a lot of other submitted levels so far. I'm sorry, and I feel bad being so blunt about it, but this just isn't a good level.
Ectoplasmania - Holy
That is a really cool gimmick. You utilize it in new and interesting ways on a regular basis, and it's intuitive to boot. The level design is superb, and the atmosphere is pretty nifty. I think you can get away with using the song from the first section in the second section as well, since it still fits (and I think it's just a more interesting song.) The last bit being totally silent is weird, though. Even an ambient song or some wind would be better than nothing here.

Of note, however, is that the last NPC actually failed to spawn for me the first time I played, leaving me with no escape route. I don't know why this happened, but it's something to look out for.

Overall, though, this level was pretty great.
The Forest at Night - Holy
I can't decide if I like this one or not. Again, you nailed the aesthetic, and the gimmick is utilized well in the first half. I'm not sure that I like being unable to run, but the first half makes it work. The second half feels a lot less fun. I can't bring myself to actually play through it in full right now. The Phanto on its own would be enough of a hassle, but the camouflaged enemies push it too far in conjunction with the Phanto. Hell, these things would be hard enough if you could run, or backtrack. Dealing with them under extremely restrictive circumstances isn't very fun, and is too difficult for my tastes.
Ztarwuff, I will respond to your post in a little while. I am running on like 3 hours of sleep and need to fix that. =P
Dr. Freeman

Post by Dr. Freeman »

sedron wrote: The Grand Rescue - DrFreeman
Lot of words!
Thank you very much! I knew from the get go that there would be a lot that could be improved so more work is to be expected.

I wasn't aware that one of your levels shared the same music, and if there's one thing I understand, it's how people appreciate their level music, so I have no qualms changing the song!

I had the Goopa move back and forth if only because something trying to move in such a small place is mildly humorous to me. Nothing big but I just find it a bit amusing rather in than it just staying still.

I can see where you're coming from with the "boss". At one point I had an idea for an actual boss battle of sorts, but I felt like the midpoint would be more obnoxious than anything else. I do agree that it could use something to spice it up a bit. I'll either make it somewhat (key word somewhat) of an actual boss and tone down the elevator (more on that later) or find some other alternative. Though I didn't have that problem with the dialogue and the music. It's probably something I accidentally clicked on when going through the events again and I'll look that over to fix it up.

I attempted to get some custom tiles in there...it didn't work out quite as planned and it looked really ugly and gross so for the sake of things I simply went with the castle tiles, though I'll probably change them over to Metroid when I go through it and fix things up.

The "barrage" of enemies was more of what I was aiming for compared to direct platforming challenges, but I do see what you're saying when it's too much. I'll probably fool around with the first area a bit in terms of layout as well in the second half, it feels a bit off to me for lack of a better word. I might go for the first half being more of a platform challenge with the elevator being more focused on enemy placement and the such. I did end up taking the shooting catepillarballs for granted because I ended up finding the sweet spot on my first test so I ended up just rolling with it. My other idea instead of the elevator was a collapsing structure instead, which might be more interesting in retrospect...

Either way, I appreciate the constructive criticism and will fix things up!
Which is also why I decided against working on a second level. I'd rather get one good one out there than two or three mediocre levels.
Harder Than Steel
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

sedron wrote:
Submerged Spaceway – Heavy Sigh
Hoo boy.

I'm sorry, but this is a mess. There are a lot of issues.

The biggest problem is the stage design, which basically amounts to enemy spam. The enemy types seem chosen at random, and they're just kind of thrown about all over the place. The ascending part has a few jumps that are just way harder than anything else in the level. The price for missing these jumps is replaying a large chunk of level, and that kind of sucks, especially when the player is probably going to mess up multiple times on a single innocuous-looking jump.

The graphics are okay for the most part, but there are a few tile swaps that just aren't there. Right-facing cave tiles are just all over the place, and the diamond-shaped platforms at the start of the vertical section have the same problem.

The warp to the last section isn't facing the right direction.

The last snifit replacement glitches out of its little hole, possibly killing the alien in the process.

The final room is a disaster. It looks like it came from that joke level that got second to last place in MaglX. It's just blocks placed haphazardly with a bunch of pitcher plant spam.

A lot of levels need some work, but this level needs a LOT of work. I don't believe that it comes anywhere near the quality of a lot of other submitted levels so far. I'm sorry, and I feel bad being so blunt about it, but this just isn't a good level.
All of this I had a feeling about. I think the next draft should address these concerns though!

That said, what is causing the replacemnt tiles to glitch out? Every time I test they seem to work perfectly.
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

And now, because it's not Friday, where I was tired as hell, it's time to respond to people.
Valterri's Fortstress
Wind wrote:Actually, the level has nothing to do with those two. It's supposed to be a serious joke level, if that makes sense.
It doesn't, but it kinda makes things more complicated, since now I don't know what was a mistake and what was intentional.
Wind wrote: Ehhhh, I don't see a problem with them. It's not like they break the level or anything.
They are the reason your level takes ~20 seconds to load? You know, aside from you having 13574 blocks in the level. Also, there is a way to fix this, but it requires you to know a bit of LunaLua, to make custom Instant warps. Another way to fix this is to not have the the instant warps lead you back, if you know that the player will never go back there. And I never did.
Wind wrote: What do you mean :cry:
Having the level go from kinda quiet to SUDDENLY SUPER MEAT BOY EXCITEMENT MUSIC is kinda distracting.
Wind wrote: Aw. It doesn't lag at all for me.
Just because it isn't laggy for you, that doesn't mean it's ok to leave it at that for everyone else. That first Valterri boss fight is ridiculously laggy for me. Without frameskip, it's pretty much unplayable.
Wind wrote:Well, glad it happened, I guess!!!
Here's a better description of my problem with this level's design: it has a bunch a small rooms, that have barely utilized gimmicks. It tries to look big and menacing with its custom graphics, but gameplay-wise it's...generic, for the lack of the better words. I guess, that's the part of the joke, but it only obscures the problem.
Wind wrote: Yeah. I did try to add some jokes you'd understand as well, but eh, I don't know this place very well at all so...
You don't need to just add meta-community-humor to make it better. In fact, if you focused said humor in a more gameplay-ish way(like that backwards furba, for example), then maybe you would have gotten a funnier and more fun level. Hell, SMBX community is already well known for making levels that drag way too long. That would be an interesting community aspect to see in parody if done right. It shouldn't be just memes.

Also, more points I've missed on my first go through the level:
That nice syncing bit from my review? Yeah, that was sarcasm. The victory theme plays and then is quickly interrupted by the level music. Again, I'm not sure whether it was intentional or not.
The music looping in the Fortstress Escape is broken.
That pedophilia non-joke. I don't even know.
Some flying rotodisc spheres(don't know the official name) don't come back unless you leave and then come back. The one after the bananasnake "boss" is the one I'm talking about.
Bat An Eye - Oddwrath (Update)
sedron wrote:The Shaman at the start has a typo. It should say "exercise." He's a nice touch overall, though.
Fixed.
sedron wrote:During the shortcut, it appears some of the bats can actually enter the solid area. I don't know if that's intentional.
Let's just say yes, because this is just bats reacting to the player.
sedron wrote:You have one or two places where the player can be stuck waiting to die in a spike pit. I think it may be tricky to fix because of the way bats are set up but optimally the player won't have to wait to die in those instances (even better, they should probably be able to exit those spike pits.)
I tried to fix it, but I don't know how much good it will do.
sedron wrote:Finally, there were 2 or 3 bats that still move forward when activated. Again, I don't know if this is intentional. If it is then by all means keep it.
Yeah, that's intentional. A keepsake from the original.

I actually was afraid that even after these changes this level is still going to be unfun. Big thanks for proving me otherwise.
I'm still kinda bothered by the length though. The second part is much smaller than the first and it just abruptly ends. Also, the music itself is about 4 min long, which the level doesn't even use the half of. Do you think I should extend it a little bit?
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

I'm gonna attempt to respond to everybody here.

@Ztarwuff
For Gravity Falls, what I'm saying is that while the Toad graphics are cool, maybe you could put those helmets on the human (?) dudes from Episode 1, since they show up as NPC's way more frequently in A2XT. It's not by any means necessary, but just an idea.

The music you used is running at 32 kbps. Compare that to the 128 kbps the music in Entropy Engine uses, or the 192 kbps on DrFreeman's mp3. Aside from quality issues, honestly it's a bit hard to explain why the music doesn't fit. I can't actually picture, in my head, a level where that music really does fit. Maybe an end-game castle, or something. The instrumentation doesn't feel right for this level, and it kind of switches back and forth between being louder, more energetic song and a quieter, calmer piece. While crescendos can absolutely work for level music, it doesn't really do that here. The crescendos don't really time with the level well. You could be getting to the most energetic part of the song as you reach a puzzle. I'd probably recommend something with stronger percussion, too. It might be the audio quality, but it feels kind of weak overall. I'm not the best at explaining my thoughts on music so I hope I was at least kind of able to convey them here.

For Shroom Samba Spelunkin', definitely get more feedback on the central gimmick. I don't think I was feeling great when I played it, which may have pushed me over the edge. Notably, though, the way the source game executed the gimmick and the way you did are both pretty different. They have similar effects, but I think yours is definitely more disorienting.

I couldn't find the boss in that video, but I'm willing to bet that the character of that game is much more well-equipped for that kind of fight. Demo gets few hits and nothing but her jumps to really do anything to the boss. The claw hands can hit you when you stand on the Harvester, too, which is unintuitive.

Pal with headphones is one of the cutest things I've ever heard. That would be excellent! =D

For Ups and Downs, I managed to somehow get stuck above the screen. Again, no idea how I did it. If I can figure it out I will let you know.

Finally, APN64 would be fine as just the first half, though I'm interested in seeing what you have in mind otherwise.
@HeavySigh
On my copy of the level, the intended graphics appear to be assigned to the wrong blocks. I'm seeing pipe tops replaced by diagonals and stuff. I don't know why it would be different on your version.
@Oddwrath
Extending the level isn't a good idea. It's fun as is, but still quite difficult. If anything, lopping a bit off of the first half would be the best option. The shortcut makes this moot if found, but if not the first half is definitely noticeably longer.
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

Has anyone noticed that i updated my level?
I'd like a review of that
:trans_pride:
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Going to post a review of Gravity Falls later tonight, but first (having read sedron's review) I'm going back in to give the music a re-listen so I can opine on that issue. My main impression/recollection of the music, without yet having focused specifically on it, is "quiet."

EDIT: Review of ztarwuff - Gravity Falls.
The updated file (removing the lava from the final room of the secret exit) fixed the overflow error - thanks. However, the player start position was left in the wrong place. It needs to go back to Section 2.

Sheath can break or short-circuit some of the puzzles, such as by downstabbing to trigger the ladder at the midpoint and

stabbing the dogs to knock them into the abyss instead of arranging for the glowing balls to do it

. Is this intentional? If not, consider filtering Sheath out of the level.

Most of the level is good about never requiring you to pass through the pink gravity beams (i.e., if you're in one, you're doing something wrong). However, there's one spot that seems to force the player to struggle through a pink beam to hit this switch:
That's not so much challenging as it is simply annoying. Could the beam below that switch be slightly adjusted, or the beam switch location moved, so that struggling-through-pink-beams is never mandatory?

In my opinion, the music fits. I enjoyed its subtle creepy vibe at the start of the track and its crescendo and stronger percussion later on. The only bit that felt out of place was when the music looped - going back to the subtle starting vibe was jarring when it happened late in the level. Perhaps the track length could be extended?

Aside from these feedback items I really enjoyed this level. It had a consistent theme and set of challenges that started off straightforward and escalated as the level continued (especially into the secret exit). I also think the secrets are well-hidden while still being fairly clued - such as the path to the secret exit, the 1up in the second room, and the invisible blocks at the normal exit.
Finally, a question for sedron: Did you test the secret exit?
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Review of WiiRool - Magma Musical.
- The first sign should give clearer instruction, something like, "When you see !, spin jump!" I thought it was telling me to spin jump at the very first jump - which just gets you killed.

- In fact, I'm not really sure about the whole spin-jump-off-the-Podoboo bit. It's the ONLY time in the level that you have to spin-jump, and I think it will be significantly harder for players using a controller (where it's awkward to switch from the "run and jump" buttons to the "alt run and spinjump buttons). If there were more spinjump challenges in the level I'd feel differently, but as is, it stands out awkwardly and feels somewhat unfair to those using a controller. I'd suggest replacing that with some other jump-off-something-bouncy (tofu blocks perhaps?) and completely scrapping the ! in coins and the "spin jump when you see !" concept.

- Finally, the coin trails when you have to bounce-jump off the two purple Paragoopas should be longer, so the player sees them sooner and therefore has a bit more reaction time to think "oh I have to hold down the jump button!"

- I had my doubts when this level started but when I understood its goal I got a big stupid grin on my face. A fun, clever, and impressively implemented gimmick.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

I went to try kil - Luna XII Armory, but the sign at the beginning is telling me to use LunaDll version 9. I downloaded the latest version available through Kevsoft's post at the start of the LunaDll with Lua thread, but that's apparently version 8. Where can I get version 9?
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Voltgloss wrote: Finally, a question for sedron: Did you test the secret exit?
Oh, I wasn't even aware there was one!

I just did a quick run through, and I didn't notice anything that you didn't already point out. It could just be more clear that the exit exists, though I suppose the world map/hub/whatever will do that when the game comes together more.
Kil

Post by Kil »

Voltgloss wrote:I went to try kil - Luna XII Armory, but the sign at the beginning is telling me to use LunaDll version 9. I downloaded the latest version available through Kevsoft's post at the start of the LunaDll with Lua thread, but that's apparently version 8. Where can I get version 9?
I'm still working on it. Once my boss is done a lot of new stuff will have been added and I'll upgrade the version number.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Review of Mabel - Lynari Desert. Spoiler alert: I am really not feeling this level.
- The whole point of the level is "get the gourd and throw these cool tornadoes around." And I agree: the tornadoes ARE cool. So cool, in fact, that they utterly destroy most of the challenges in the level (which are all purely enemies). But on the flip side, if you LOSE the gourd powerup, you are utterly screwed (because of the aforementioned enemies). That makes the best way to play the level taking it at a slow crawl, throwing masses of tornadoes ahead to deal with the many many enemies, for utter fear of losing your powerup.

- The level has a lot of janky graphics and related elements. What's with the bizarro landmass around the Business Toad? Or the strange rock wall background with bizarro diagonal lines at the end? Or the antlions that clip through the ground they're standing on in the end part with that rock wall background? Or the sand-Blaargs whose eyes, and heads, literally leave the sticky sand they're in? Or the thick vertical lines going through the sand-Blaargs' eyes? Or the fact that the sand-Blaargs still have the submarines' siren sound effects? Or the fact that the foreground falling sand seems to vanish semi-randomly - sometimes because I'd climbed into the upper third of the screen, sometimes because I apparently killed the foreground sand with my projectiles? Or the times I managed to walk on solid air because I was apparently "hooked" into the bottom of a foreground sand NPC? Or the cutoff in some of landmasses and at least one pipe (near two antlions in the second half)? All of these issues need some serious work.

- Starting from the midpoint, without the gourd powerup, is an utterly miserable experience. You're surrounded by enemies with no effective means to fight back. At the very least a gourd should be in one of the nearby prize boxes, since the level basically assumes you have a gourd at all times.

- The "bonus room" in the pipe can trap the player forever if they are small and climb down the right side to explore. They can't get back and they can't even kill themselves.

- NPC typos: the Business Toad says "Im" - should be "I'm." Also, lampshading the bizarre landmass around him doesn't excuse its presence in the level. As for the "king" at the end, he says "oh, It" when it should be "Oh, it". And I don't get the "background magic" joke. Again, is that an attempt to justify janky graphics in the level? If so, the better course is to improve the graphics instead.

- raocow, Kood, and Sheath can't throw tornadoes - they still have their standard gourd powerups. As the whole point of the level is the tornadoes, they should be able to throw them as well or they should be filtered out.

- I don't know where the music is from, but in my opinion it quickly becomes grating.

- Playing through I got an odd sense of deja vu. Which I realized was because the entire level reminds me a LOT of the second half of Baker Street - the weather effects, the enemy spam, the need to rely on projectile powerups, etc. Basically, I feel like we've done this already. The only good new thing this level brings to the table is the tornadoes. And they are cool. I just really, really wish they were in a stronger level.

- I think this level needs significant work before it can be considered for inclusion in the game.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Voltgloss wrote:Review of Mabel - Lynari Desert. Spoiler alert: I am really not feeling this level.
- The whole point of the level is "get the gourd and throw these cool tornadoes around." And I agree: the tornadoes ARE cool. So cool, in fact, that they utterly destroy most of the challenges in the level (which are all purely enemies). But on the flip side, if you LOSE the gourd powerup, you are utterly screwed (because of the aforementioned enemies). That makes the best way to play the level taking it at a slow crawl, throwing masses of tornadoes ahead to deal with the many many enemies, for utter fear of losing your powerup.

I though at first it would be easy enough to hold onto the powerups the whole way through, since tornadoes travel a really far distance so most enemies will end up dead or near dead by the time you reach most of them, this was supposed to be a really easy level, should I go about maybe adding another powerup or 2 somewhere?...

- The level has a lot of janky graphics and related elements. What's with the bizarro landmass around the Business Toad? Or the strange rock wall background with bizarro diagonal lines at the end? Or the antlions that clip through the ground they're standing on in the end part with that rock wall background? Or the sand-Blaargs whose eyes, and heads, literally leave the sticky sand they're in? Or the thick vertical lines going through the sand-Blaargs' eyes? Or the fact that the sand-Blaargs still have the submarines' siren sound effects? Or the fact that the foreground falling sand seems to vanish semi-randomly - sometimes because I'd climbed into the upper third of the screen, sometimes because I apparently killed the foreground sand with my projectiles? Or the times I managed to walk on solid air because I was apparently "hooked" into the bottom of a foreground sand NPC? Or the cutoff in some of landmasses and at least one pipe (near two antlions in the second half)? All of these issues need some serious work.

pretty low chance of changing those blaarg sounds unless we can overdo default sounds, and they also were not made by me so any graphical errors they have well....yeah
the foreground sand is pretty janky on its own, dont think ill keep it(it dissapears once you hit a high enough altitude and i have no clue how to fix that.

- Starting from the midpoint, without the gourd powerup, is an utterly miserable experience. You're surrounded by enemies with no effective means to fight back. At the very least a gourd should be in one of the nearby prize boxes, since the level basically assumes you have a gourd at all times.
It should be in the first set of blocks past the midpoint...so yeah thats gonna be changed
- The "bonus room" in the pipe can trap the player forever if they are small and climb down the right side to explore. They can't get back and they can't even kill themselves.
k.
- NPC typos: the Business Toad says "Im" - should be "I'm." Also, lampshading the bizarre landmass around him doesn't excuse its presence in the level. As for the "king" at the end, he says "oh, It" when it should be "Oh, it". And I don't get the "background magic" joke. Again, is that an attempt to justify janky graphics in the level? If so, the better course is to improve the graphics instead.
Theres a 8000 BGO limit and the background falling sand is nothing but 32x32 blocks and...yeah I though it was ovbious but ah well...
- raocow, Kood, and Sheath can't throw tornadoes - they still have their standard gourd powerups. As the whole point of the level is the tornadoes, they should be able to throw them as well or they should be filtered out.
I forgot they have different NPC hammers so ill fix that
- I don't know where the music is from, but in my opinion it quickly becomes grating.
- Playing through I got an odd sense of deja vu. Which I realized was because the entire level reminds me a LOT of the second half of Baker Street - the weather effects, the enemy spam, the need to rely on projectile powerups, etc. Basically, I feel like we've done this already. The only good new thing this level brings to the table is the tornadoes. And they are cool. I just really, really wish they were in a stronger level.

- I think this level needs significant work before it can be considered for inclusion in the game.
oh cool some feedback... replied in spoilers
Image Image
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I know that nearly every submitted level goes through several drafts and revisions, but is it okay to post a blatantly incomplete level to the submission thread for critique while I'm working on the latter half of it? Or would it be preferred that the whole thing was done before having time put in and changes suggested?
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!