(shouting)

Episode 2 Theme/Town Thread

The second SMBX collab!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Episode 2 Theme/Town Thread

Post by SAJewers »

Not really. Speaking of Leek Scantuaries, we should probably figure out what extra info we need to convey (like filters, maybe a small screenshot?), and do up some lua for the leek pillar scantuaries. If we could just have 1 pillar that the player can cycle through with left/right, that'd be great. However, I'm sure if that's possible, since currently to my knowledge, you can't get leek info for each level.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

SAJewers wrote:to my knowledge, you can't get leek info for each level.
That's correct, though I'm now thinking that I'll put searching for that info on my todo list. Lower priority than the p-switch ticking thing (which I already know how what I need to do for that, and that is lower priority than some other things going on here), and don't count on it... But there is a chance I may be able to make checking leak count data possible at some point within the next month or so.

EDIT: What is however already possible that might help with what you want, is that Lua can manipulate warps in a level... So an exit that shows leak counts could probably be modified on the fly to point to different levels.
Last edited by Rednaxela 8 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Rockythechao wrote:So, regarding the raocoin shops and leek sanctuaries, are there any specific guidelines for their layouts, music, NPCs, etc.?
For raocoin shops, I think using the shop tokens is the best way (unless you're doing something like an NPC selling you something, or opening a path or what have you), because they're built into the library and that should keep things consistent if you just want a random shop selling powerup generators.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Rednaxela wrote:
SAJewers wrote:to my knowledge, you can't get leek info for each level.
That's correct, though I'm now thinking that I'll put searching for that info on my todo list. Lower priority than the p-switch ticking thing (which I already know how what I need to do for that, and that is lower priority than some other things going on here), and don't count on it... But there is a chance I may be able to make checking leak count data possible at some point within the next month or so.

EDIT: What is however already possible that might help with what you want, is that Lua can manipulate warps in a level... So an exit that shows leak counts could probably be modified on the fly to point to different levels.
Even if we could just grab how many leeks have been collected in a level from the save file, I'd be fine with that. I don't mind manually feeding lua the total number of leeks. Otherwise, Option 2 would work, though not as nice IMO.
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

While we're on the subject of Leek Pillars:

If it gets accepted, I'd like The Post Production Void not to be in the Leek Pillar Sanctuaries as it takes place in a dying (dead at the end of the level) reality, and as such, doesn't exist by the time the player makes it to the Leek Pillar(s). Plus, the player neither needs to nor can go back there.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

Oh, I didn't see this.

I have a level that is a bog/swamp. I hope that fits somewhere.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

How hard/easy is it?
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

(Not sure why it shows two leeks, pretty sure I only put one in there...)

I made a couple additions to cinematX to set this up - a new "sub" tag allows you to override the interaction prompt completely (as opposed to the "verb" tag which only replaces the "talk" in "[UP] to talk"), and as long as that string isn't empty it'll display the popup even if you can't interact with the actor.

So yeah, it uses the level name as the actor's name and the level creator as the subtitle string. As long as the level name is formatted as "[Creator] - [Level]", the leek pillar will parse the filename correctly from the warp; otherwise it just gives the full filename (minus ".lvl") and leaves the creator blank.

Here's the code I used in case anyone wants to rework it into a non-cinematX implementation or reuse the level name parsing for other stuff:

Code: Select all

-- Leek sanctuary
		leekActors = {cinematX.getActorFromKey ("leek1"),
					  cinematX.getActorFromKey ("leek2"),
					  cinematX.getActorFromKey ("leek3")}

for  k,v in pairs(leekActors)  do
			local warps = Warp.getIntersectingEntrance(v.smbxObjRef.x, v.smbxObjRef.y, v.smbxObjRef.x+16, v.smbxObjRef.y+96)

local levelFullString = ""
			local levelNameString = " "
			local levelCreatorString = " "
			local dashStart = 0
			local dashEnd = 0

if  warps[1] ~= nil  then
				if  warps[1].levelFilename ~= nil  then
					levelFullString = warps[1].levelFilename --worldLevelNames[k]
					dashStart = string.find(levelFullString, " - ")
					if  (dashStart == nil)  then
						levelNameString = string.gsub (levelFullString, ".lvl", "")
						levelCreatorString = "CREATOR UNKNOWN"
					else
						dashEnd = dashStart+3
						levelNameString = string.gsub (string.sub (levelFullString, dashEnd), ".lvl", "", 1)
						levelCreatorString = string.sub (levelFullString, 0, dashStart-1)
					end
				end
			end

v.nameString = levelNameString
			v.altSubString = levelCreatorString
		end
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I was actually thinking it would be above the leek itself. Gives more space for more info, like character filters and whatnot.
WasabiJellyfish

Post by WasabiJellyfish »

You could have the screenshot idea super easily, we just need people to take good screenshots of their levels that kind of show the most interesting part. (So it's not just all Demo with a Goopa) However that might ruin some level's surprises? I think it should be up to the Author maybe.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

So, on the topic of leek pillars, while reshuffling the HUD I made a little Demo head for the demo counter, which people didn't really like, but I rememberer there was a suggestion of featuring it as a marker for level filters in the leek pillars. So I made more:

Image Image Image Image Image

The idea is that when looking at level information in the leek pillar sanctuary, these heads would pop up to mark which characters can play that level. Would be a neat way of showing that, I think.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

sedron wrote:I guess I'll reiterate here that I, too, would like to make a town. No idea how one gets to do one but yeah.
Like Horikawa, I'm reiterating again.

Seriously it's been over a year since I wrote that wow.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

I'm pretty sure I already restated my interest, but I shall do so again. Desert town.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

I'm interested in doing either the weird or snow town.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Just in case you guys missed it, there was a little bit of world discussion in the Discussion Thread.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, let's keep this thread right now to what we should put in the towns in general. Stuff like raocoin store items, and how they might look, how leek pillars should look, etc. No claiming until worlds are fully locked down. I would like to say, though, that I think that more than one person work on each town.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

I just finished the bulk of the work on a lua library for changing player graphics on the fly, gonna record a video of it later tonight. So unlockable/buyable costumes can indeed be a thing.

That said, if we're going to sell costumes at raocoin shops... if we have a minimum of one costume per character per world, that's 9 * 5 = 45 sets of graphics. Granted, we already have some of different characters like Nevada, Uncle Broadsword, etc. and they don't all have to be wildly different; some can be just simple edits.

Wings of Vi-style accessories that all 5 characters can wear have been proposed as an easier alternative, and while they would be much easier to make we'd need more work on the lua side to code that functionality.

Either way, these aren't going to have any effect on gameplay or the story, just optional visual customization for the player. We're not going to think about characters/accessories with different physics/mechanics/dialogue until Episode 3, if at all.

So yeah, discuss your preferences and ideas here, let us know if you'd be willing to contribute graphics, etc.

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

The first question should be whether or not people actually want to see this in the game.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

I figured I could make some simple swaps. I'm thinking 8bit versions, and maybe the characters dressed like their SMBX counterparts (Demo dressed as Mario for example).
Holy

Post by Holy »

I guess part of the question is will stuff like that mesh well with cutscenes and levels that use the player character in a weird way. But I do kinda really love the idea of lil accessories and alt costumes.

fakeedit: maybe actually changing the whole char sprite is more of a "unlocked for beating the game" thing?
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Holy

Post by Holy »

So what's up with towns right now? Are we claiming em yet?
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Holy wrote:So what's up with towns right now? Are we claiming em yet?
If theres a town open then yeah i think so.

my call was for the City side of W7 back when it was still W5 but i guess its still on me whenever i get to it.(also wohl is doing the Factory side i believe)
I got ideas but nothing concrete yet.
Image Image
Holy

Post by Holy »

Arright I want the cave one then if nobody's called it, I got an IDEA. If there's story stuff goin on that should be in there or around there, somebody let me know
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Will be claiming/doing the world 8 sky town thing.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)