(shouting)

Episode 2 Theme/Town Thread

The second SMBX collab!
Duvi0
Artist, streamer, level designer, and more, for the low low price of a jar of peaches!

Re: Episode 2 Theme/Town Thread

Post by Duvi0 »

Pyro and I will be collaborating on the Snow world's town.
Yo peeps! I'm Duvi. Wanna know more about what I'm like, look at my tumblr, http://duvi0.tumblr.com
talk to me on Skype (mossyduvi0) or Steam (duvi0), or watch my streams at http://twitch.tv/duvi0!
However, my description of myself goes like this: I'm a smart idiot who writes and designs well, but as jacks of all trades go, I can really do jack.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Some notes from skype discussions:
Main hub:
  • Will be a chronoton city with a main marketplace and a few smaller mini-hubs
  • Will have a diner/restaurant called the Tempura Anomaly that features different customers as you progress through the game
  • Tempura Anomaly customers includes talkhaus members, side characters, characters from different games and future versions of the player chars who give the player encouraging words about the final boss
  • Garish will get his own "palace" (probably a run-down shack/warehouse he decorates to seem more impressive) with a "throne room" and separate rooms for his two generals
  • The R.E.T.C.O.N. will be a mini-hub area where the place where the player deposits their super leeks to unlock the next world
  • The inner workings of the R.E.T.C.O.N. will serve as the final story level after the player finishes W8, with the player fighting a souped-up Pumpernickel in the core as the final boss
Town structure/feature list:
  • Each town should have a costume shop, powerup shop, leek sanctuary, a catllama stable, at least one minigame and at least one sidequest (preferably two or three).
  • NPCs in towns/the main hub should ideally change/have changed dialogue as the player progresses through the world
  • Super-rough draft of shop music
  • Establishments should be indicated by storefronts/signs: beret for costume shop, radish for item shop?
  • Interiors of these establishments should be consistent/similar between towns
  • Worlds with two towns will have the establishments divided between the two
Menus vs. diegetic stuff:
  • As of earlier this week LunaLua has all the functionality we need to code custom pause menus
  • card collection screen and quest logs are possibilities, though we may opt to have areas in the hub to allow you to check that stuff
  • Player changes costumes via changing booths in costume shops (?)
  • Should we do leek sanctuaries if that info could be accessed through a pause sub-menu?
  • Having too many menus is not elegant game design
  • In general the balance of which functionality/info the player should have available at any time and which stuff they'd need to go to specific places in the hub/a town to do is something we're still working out
Trading cards:
  • Trading cards as unique arbitrary collectibles; maybe something is unlocked after collecting all of them but probably going to be just for fun/100% completion (card planning here, mockups here)
  • Should they be colored based on "rarity" (common=minor chars, uncommon=secondary chars/minibosses, rare=main chars/bosses) or sets (PCs, uncles, siblings, etc)?
  • Maybe some cards have common & rare variants, and for ones rewarded for beating bosses/minigames you get the rare variant by performing well at the boss/minigame (high score or defeat the boss without taking damage)
Minigames and sidequests:
  • Possible rewards from minigames and sidequests: leeks, exclusive costumes, raocoins, trading cards
  • Minigames could have leeks and cards as first-time prizes and high-score prizes, with raocoins being awarded otherwise
  • Sidequests generally shouldn't be self-contained in their respective towns, a few that can be completed on your first visit are fine but most should require players to do stuff in levels or even do stuff between different towns/the hub
[/spoiler]
Last edited by Rixithechao 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Rockythechao wrote:Town structure/feature list:
Two things missing from this list.
  • Towns should use CinematX for all NPC interactions, rather than the built in textboxes.
  • I suggested having the playable characters appear in towns (though obviously the one you're currently playing as would be hidden) as NPCs, complete with the costumes they're wearing. It would take a bit more work than regular NPCs to do this, but a Lua API could be set up to do the majority of the work. What do people think about this idea?
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Going to copy what Wasabi said on the a2xt chat regarding towns that are claimed already:

World 1 town (Grass): Rockythechao
World 2 town (Snow): Duvi0/Pyro
World 3 town(s) (Desert/Temples): Hoeloe
World 4 town (Caves): Holy
World 5-1 town (Water): No one yet
World 5-2 town (Seaside/Resorts): No one yet
World 6 town (WTF): Horikawa
World 7-1 town (City): Mabel
World 7-2 town (Factories): Wohlstand
World 8 town (Sky/Athletic): FrozenQuills
World 9 town (Zebraspace): Fluffimasta/sedron
sedron wrote:ping
sedron also expressed interest in making a town but hasn't claimed yet.

Also correct me if I'm wrong in any of this~
Last edited by FrozenQuills 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

For towns, we should wait until the first one is made, and we're happy with it. That way we can have a template for all the other towns to be based on.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

FrozenQuills wrote:
sedron wrote:ping
sedron also expressed interest in making a town but hasn't claimed yet.

Also correct me if I'm wrong in any of this~
Oh yeah this is a thing.

I guess I'll take Zebraspace? Unless that's gonna be done by one of the major devs or something, in which case I'll take Water.
Wohlstand
Moondust and TheXTech developer
First name: Vitaly
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Wohlstand »

Good idea to give me do Factories town, anyway I promised to make something overworld stuff (some terrain tiles and sceneries with railways and terminals [first side - is a small rail terminal in the City, second side - depot, where main heroes are came through forest to come into Factories town]). And so, how we with SAJewers are talked, "What about railways?" level is going as warp between City and Factories town.
Duvi0
Artist, streamer, level designer, and more, for the low low price of a jar of peaches!

Post by Duvi0 »

Ooh, can I claim Zebraspace's town? I'd LOVE to do something cool with the idea of a hellish monochrome sub-reality.
Yo peeps! I'm Duvi. Wanna know more about what I'm like, look at my tumblr, http://duvi0.tumblr.com
talk to me on Skype (mossyduvi0) or Steam (duvi0), or watch my streams at http://twitch.tv/duvi0!
However, my description of myself goes like this: I'm a smart idiot who writes and designs well, but as jacks of all trades go, I can really do jack.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Duvi0 wrote:Ooh, can I claim Zebraspace's town? I'd LOVE to do something cool with the idea of a hellish monochrome sub-reality.
According to the chat I think fluffimasta and sedron are collaborating on world 9's town.

(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Duvi0

Post by Duvi0 »

Has anyone claimed Seaside town? I want to do a reverse-Atlantis sort of thing, where the fish-people's city rose up above the sea and as a result it's a tour site for air-breathing folks.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Duvi0 wrote:Has anyone claimed Seaside town? I want to do a reverse-Atlantis sort of thing, where the fish-people's city rose up above the sea and as a result it's a tour site for air-breathing folks.
Don't think so. Also someone or probably I should make a new town thread with the requirements and who's doing what (with a poll for whether talkhausers should be in the towns or not)

Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

So it was decided a while ago that Leek Pillar Sanctuaries should operate slightly differently to Ep 1, due to them being awkward and unwieldy. As such, I've been building a Lua API for them. This is what I've got so far (though it's unfinished).

http://i.imgur.com/IfCjik3.webm

They won't be just out in the open like this. Ideally there will be a big fancy room devoted to them which will be the same across all the towns, but for now it's just the main object I'm working on.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

so yeah I have the general layout of the world 8 town.
It doesn't have any interior stuff or cinematx though.

Here's a pic (it's... big)
And here's a link so you guys can play around in it.

WasabiJellyfish

Post by WasabiJellyfish »

I'm taking w5-2 if that's chill with y'all.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

In the Skype group we've been discussing templates and mechanics for the shops, leek sanctuaries and stables. Here's folks' ideas on the matter:

- Loose templates for shops and stables: uniform icons for storefronts/signs, shopkeeper for info and flavor, same purchasing mechanics, layout and asethetics can be shared/similar but this isn't required
- Leek sanctuaries should follow a rigid structure: small 1-screen room, raised platform in the center with the pillar on top, statues on either side
- Powerup shops could keep the same aesthetics from town to town with the idea being they're all different branches of the same supermarket chain ("Talkmart" was suggested), whereas the costume shops could mostly be locally-owned and more varied in design
- Some towns could have special/combined powerup and costume shops, like in one world the town has a big outdoor market/bazaar, another has a department store with one floor being for powerups and another being for costumes, etc.
- Powerup shop mechanics: could allow single-item purchases, more expensive generator purchases, or both.
- Costume shop mechanics: costume is either displayed next to the corresponding purchase block/pipe/trigger or displayed above like in powerup shops. Have a changing curtain somewhere in the shop that the player enters like a door and it pulls up a menu like the leek pillars; after the player selects a costume the character exits wearing the new costume
- Powerup shop ideas: supermarket, convenience store, wood cabin-style general store
- Costume shop ideas: used clothes store, high fashion, halloween costume shop, seedy back-alley underground costume trade
- Catllama stable mechanics: either pay a fixed number of raocoins to enter and then leave with whichever catllama you like or different prices per breed; the first one is free. Also, could include a system in which you can return the catllama once you're done with it to get a partial refund as an incentive not to lose it (player may turn in a "wild" one for a single raocoin).

Here's the full exterior of the goopa village (W1 town) at the moment; the right side isn't 100% done but it won't be any bigger than this:

What the interiors of the sanctuary, shops and stable currently look like in the village (can be changed):
(Hoeloe's pedestal will go on that raised platform)

And the WIP music which I may or may not have already posted, I forget:
Pleasant shop
Trendy shop
Modest shop

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Do people have to use that music? Considering maybe doing the town for 7-1, and might have some shop music for it.

Also, for the split towns in World 5 and 7, we should probably just have certain things in one town or the other, like a poweup shop in 7-1 but not 7-2.

For the other towns though, you should come up with a base town, and use that as the basis for for all the other towns, so we have some consistency.
WasabiJellyfish wrote:I'm taking w5-2 if that's chill with y'all.
Since we haven't really started on towns, we probably shouldn't be claiming anything outside of the World 3 town and rocky's base town.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

I think it'd be a cool touch to have each shop feature an arrangement of the same melody, but people don't have to use them if they don't want to.

I'll be using two or all three of those myself in the initial version of goopa village (after extending and tweaking them a bit more, that goofy record scratching at the end of "trendy" is going to be replaced with elements closer to this) but if folks don't like them during testing/the revision process they can be scrapped and replaced with better/more appropriate music. And I'm planning on doing at least a couple more to fit different atmospheres, but again, they don't have to be used.

Edit: tweaked the phrasing for clarity.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

also, everyone has to hide a tiny speakable penguin for MYSTERIOUS REASONS
mysterious
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
WasabiJellyfish

Post by WasabiJellyfish »

SAJewers wrote:
WasabiJellyfish wrote:I'm taking w5-2 if that's chill with y'all.
Since we haven't really started on towns, we probably shouldn't be claiming anything outside of the World 3 town and rocky's base town.
Every other one is already claimed by people, I think everyone who wants to do a town has done one
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Well, I would rather we wait and get one out the door first, so others can follow that. Otherwise we''re likely to get what happened in analog funk where everyone went off and did their own thing, and nothing ended up really being coherent, and we had to spend a few hours making certain things like the leek pillars the same.

By all means, if you want to start messing around and come up with an idea or two, go ahead, but I don't want people getting too heavy into them until we can get one done first, for everyone else to base theirs on.

Plus it absolves us of an issue where someone might claim something now, then disappear/nobody knows the status of it because it's been a length of time between their claim and towns being open for people to create.

EDIT: To be clear, If you want to express interest in making a certain town, and want to start creating a general layout, go ahead, but I don't think we should have firm claims right now, especially if people are going to have to wait.

EDIT2: Actually scratch everything I said. If someone wants to announce their intentions to make a specific town, go ahead, but in the end, we'll accept the first one that's finished for that town. If you say you want to do a town, then give no updates or say anything about it, and someone else later offers to do that town, then that's your fault.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

FrozenQuills wrote:Going to copy what Wasabi said on the a2xt chat regarding towns that are claimed already:

World 1 town (Grass): Rockythechao
World 2 town (Snow): Pyro
World 3 town(s) (Desert/Temples): Hoeloe
World 4 town (Caves): Holy
World 5-1 town (Water): Duvi0
World 5-2 town (Seaside/Resorts): WasabiJellyfish
World 6 town (WTF): Horikawa
World 7-1 town (City): Mabel
World 7-2 town (Factories): Wohlstand
World 8 town (Sky/Athletic): FrozenQuills
World 9 town (Zebraspace): Fluffimasta/sedron
Just reposting this since I don't think some people were aware that claims were already made.
(made some updates to it as well)

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Again, I want to avoid people making hard claims on anything as much as possible. If you want to work a town, making your intention known is fine, but if you keep people in the dark, then you're likely to lose that for someone who is keeping people up to date.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

So I've brought up the idea of quest levels on Skype and in the general discussion thread -- short optional challenge levels in each world that we could build around sidequest content so we wouldn't have to worry about cramming sidequest stuff into regular levels.

But I haven't really mentioned it in this thread until now, and I don't know whether enough people would be up to making them. I do still think it's a good idea but I'm not going to push it if we can't get at least one per world. Would it be best to gauge interest with a poll in a new thread or add a poll to this thread?

In any case, we'll have to take this stuff into account earlier in development if we want to do it again in Ep. 3.

Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

After an experiment with the camera turned into a full-blown level, I've decided I'm going to make the bonus quest levels if nobody else wants to. The one I just made is currently set up to work as a W5 level but with some aesthetic tweaks it could be changed into a river level for any world that such an area would fit in. I'll be submitting it to go through the regular review process fairly soon, and I'll make the rest once their respective towns are finished based on whatever details the town creators ask for. And on that note...
Pyro wrote:ping
Hoeloe wrote:ping
Holy wrote:fling
Duvi0 wrote:wing
WasabiJellyfish wrote:ding
Horikawa Otane wrote:sing
Mabel wrote:thing
Wohlstand wrote:ingpay
sedron wrote:gnip
Sorel wrote:quack
A number of you have already posted about your towns in the skype chat so apologies for making y'all repeat yourselves, but how are they coming along? For those of you who've claimed towns but haven't started yet, do you still want to make them?

As for me, I've mostly been focusing on lua library stuff as of late so I haven't made much progress with the Goopa Village since the last post, but I'll be adding what I have so far to OneDrive within the next week or so.

snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

I have like half of the exterior set up for the W2 town. I'm really just waiting for more direction on what exactly to do in the towns before I take off, though.