(shouting)

Episode 2 Discussion Thread

The second SMBX collab!

Name

Poll ended at 8 years ago

A Super Mario Bros X Thing Episode 3 (PTTS = Ep1)
No votes
A Super Mario Bros X Thing Episode 2 (PTTS = Ep0)
7%
A Second Mario Bros X Thing Episode 2
73%
A Third Mario Bros X Thing
20%

Total votes: 15

Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Episode 2 Discussion Thread

Post by Hoeloe »

docopoper wrote:Ooh yeah. We could make each town have a reward for when you 100% the world it's in. I wonder if LunaDLL can be made to figure that out somehow.
I imagine it could be done in a similar way to the demo counter - storing values in a separate file, and checking them up later. It would be a nightmare to ensure everything is accounted for, though.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Darkonius64 wrote:uhm, so uuuh, my level didn't get into Episode 1.
so will it get into Episode 2?
if yes where do i put it in the wiki? i already placed it in the level list.
(level's called Frightening Factory btw)
I remember when you submitted that level! Back in like April or May, yeah?

Beta testing for Ep 1 started right around that time, so the game was already pretty much put together. It went through a LOT of testing but the levels were all there a long time ago.

I'm not up to date on the wiki, but if it's on that list it should be eligible for Ep 2.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

I have a suggestion:

(This is in a town)
Toad-cowboy-guy: hey I lost my 4 gems in the marsh/city/pipe maze and I need you to get them back
(Demo collects the 4 items in the world)
TCG: thanks here have a cat llama generator

This would be accomplished with lunadll variables and probably custom items
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Just tossing this out there, but rather than having Sheath travel back in time and gather the gang in a cutscene, why not have the player unlock the characters in the first world?

For instance, the Intro level for World 1 would be Sheath only. She would end of gathering Demo/Iris at the end of the level. The first proper level would not allow Kood/raocow; they too would be "unlocked" via early levels. The game would simply use LunaDLL to force you into playing as Sheath in these early levels, with the option to switch to Demo/Iris via switch blocks at the start of levels.

It would be both a neat way to connect the end of Episode 1 to the start of Episode 2, and a more interesting way of re-introducing the characters.

Example: In this new timeline, the siblings have managed to already track down the heroes and capture them. The Intro level might be a battle against a Goopa army, with Sheath battling Garrish at the end. Rather than a proper battle, Garrish challenges Sheath to a duel; Sheath promply stomps him (Garrish is noted as arrogant and rather useless when not commanding Goopas), thus rescuing Demo/Iris from their prison. This isn't necessarily the best example, but gives you an idea of where this idea could go.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

WestonSmith wrote:Just tossing this out there, but rather than having Sheath travel back in time and gather the gang in a cutscene, why not have the player unlock the characters in the first world?
I think because of how selecting characters on the over-world map works. Someone would have to luna.dll a way to prevent characters from being chosen early on and i'm not sure if that is possible.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Demolition wrote:
WestonSmith wrote:Just tossing this out there, but rather than having Sheath travel back in time and gather the gang in a cutscene, why not have the player unlock the characters in the first world?
I think because of how selecting characters on the over-world map works. Someone would have to luna.dll a way to prevent characters from being chosen early on and i'm not sure if that is possible.
Would it be possible to start in a hub system and not move onto the world map until you've got the others back?
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Probably not possible, no. I suppose you could simply ask the player to kindly ignore the changing icons on the map and accept that those characters aren't playable yet (since LunaDLL can at least prevent them from being played), but that may be too immerson ruining.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

I really like Weston's idea, but yeah, the logistics behind it sound tricky (especially to someone like myself who has very little programming knowledge.) What if it were all done in one level though? It runs the risk of running long but having the first level just be an intro where you rescue everyone could work without a lot of the issues of spreading it out. It doesn't have all of the strengths of Weston's original idea (mainly how it would give each character starting levels and let you do more with each of their rescues,) but it would be a good plot tie-in that the player can actually play.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

sedron wrote:I really like Weston's idea, but yeah, the logistics behind it sound tricky (especially to someone like myself who has very little programming knowledge.) What if it were all done in one level though? It runs the risk of running long but having the first level just be an intro where you rescue everyone could work without a lot of the issues of spreading it out. It doesn't have all of the strengths of Weston's original idea (mainly how it would give each character starting levels and let you do more with each of their rescues,) but it would be a good plot tie-in that the player can actually play.
This is a good idea. A section where you rescue a character and then play as them until the next one is rescued could also very easily double as a tutorial to teach you the mechanics of each character. I'm all for tutorials that aren't obviously tutorials, so this kills two birds with one stone.
Kil

Post by Kil »

I'm pretty sure there's some variables that control which players are locked on the world map. But that first time you enter the world map, lunadll is not going to have run at all (except the title screen. But at that point you don't even know what episode the player is loading so...)
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Kil wrote:I'm pretty sure there's some variables that control which players are locked on the world map. But that first time you enter the world map, lunadll is not going to have run at all (except the title screen. But at that point you don't even know what episode the player is loading so...)
What if there is an intro level/cut-scene or something?
Kil

Post by Kil »

Yep that would work. But is there some way you can have that intro level each time the player starts or loads the game? I always assumed smbx just dumped you on the world map. Basically once a level is loading you have infinite power to change anything, but before that, nada.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Is there any particular reason you can't just make it load on the map and then have everyone figure out how the map works? I seem to remember that it took 4 hours or so to save the changes but in the long run that's small fries, wouldn't you agree
Kil

Post by Kil »

TiKi wrote:Is there any particular reason you can't just make it load on the map and then have everyone figure out how the map works? I seem to remember that it took 4 hours or so to save the changes but in the long run that's small fries, wouldn't you agree
If 4 hours of tedium is small fries then work for 4 hours and pay me what you earn in that time, and then I'll agree to do it :^). Besides, problem #2 is it would then have to be done for smbx.exe as well because people love using different exes for some reason.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Oh, you have to do actual work for 4 hours? I'm sorry I had no clue. I thought that's how long the exe took to compile and you could like make a sandwich, take a nap or whatever (a la waiting for a big download).

...and in retrospect I was foolish to think "flip the switch and tada it loads lunadll on the map" was how it went sorry Kil
Kil

Post by Kil »

Well yeah, there is no compiling. To add a hook on the overworld has many very active steps taking up several hours of time, such as first of all figuring out where that code is in SMBX, what kind of stuff can be manipulated in that time, actually finding a good place to put the hook, doing some manual assembly and hex editing the exe, adding the hook to lunadll source, remaking the exe PE header by hand, actually adding the functionality to autocode/lua so people can do stuff with the new hook, oh and also testing it all to make sure it works. So yeah I'm not doing it. But if someone can come up with another way to funnel the player through to the world map, it won't needed anyway.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

You could have a separate area in the ow for intro cutscene.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Doctor Shemp wrote: This is a good idea. A section where you rescue a character and then play as them until the next one is rescued could also very easily double as a tutorial to teach you the mechanics of each character. I'm all for tutorials that aren't obviously tutorials, so this kills two birds with one stone.
There's a video I posted in the LunaLua thread that might be of interest here. It demonstrates changing characters in a "leapfrog" style - that is, the characters appear as NPCs in the level, and when switching to that character, you "take possession" of the NPC, rather than changing to the character in place. This could be used to make a level where you switch characters a lot a bit more interesting.

Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

Is the library from Episode 1 still a good idea? When I played through the game I don't remember using it that much and judging from raocow's and Stink Terios' videos, neither did they. It's nice to have something that connects to other levels in the game, but practically it's kinda pointless.
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Oddwrath wrote:Is the library from Episode 1 still a good idea? When I played through the game I don't remember using it that much and judging from raocow's and Stink Terios' videos, neither did they. It's nice to have something that connects to other levels in the game, but practically it's kinda pointless.
I think if we do use it, it would be best to split it into areas in each town, with hints for each world. Part of the problem is that it's hard to remember the hints, and you can't look at them again until you've completed the world anyway.
Narolas

Post by Narolas »

I've been rewatching the ASMBXT prelude to the stupid playthrough of raocow again, and I noticed something :
I kinda miss having the name of the level maker with the level name. I know it makes the game flow a bit less, and having them all in a "credits" sort of a way in the leek temple is convenient. But I kinda like how before raocow would notice patterns, be excited to see a level from a creator he saw before, etc..

Dunno really, it just seems like the creator is less talked about now that the name is in the temple, and that's something I enjoyed in the previous playthroughs. Then again that might be a good thing, and make it feel more like a cohesive "game" .

What do you guys think ?
Kil

Post by Kil »

The creator name should've always been displayed alongside the music, but I guess it was too much work.
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

I think the could be displayed on the the overworld map where the level name is. Probably wouldn't cause much clutter is done properly.

Speaking of names, can we have the "music" codes in the overworld?
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
sedron wrote:I really like Weston's idea, but yeah, the logistics behind it sound tricky (especially to someone like myself who has very little programming knowledge.) What if it were all done in one level though? It runs the risk of running long but having the first level just be an intro where you rescue everyone could work without a lot of the issues of spreading it out. It doesn't have all of the strengths of Weston's original idea (mainly how it would give each character starting levels and let you do more with each of their rescues,) but it would be a good plot tie-in that the player can actually play.
This is a good idea. A section where you rescue a character and then play as them until the next one is rescued could also very easily double as a tutorial to teach you the mechanics of each character. I'm all for tutorials that aren't obviously tutorials, so this kills two birds with one stone.
This is actually a great idea.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 116#p86130
Four words: disappearing platform memorization ride