(shouting)

Episode 2 Discussion Thread

The second SMBX collab!

Name

Poll ended at 8 years ago

A Super Mario Bros X Thing Episode 3 (PTTS = Ep1)
No votes
A Super Mario Bros X Thing Episode 2 (PTTS = Ep0)
7%
A Second Mario Bros X Thing Episode 2
73%
A Third Mario Bros X Thing
20%

Total votes: 15

Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: Episode 2 Discussion Thread

Post by Rixithechao »

Oddwrath wrote: Also:
this bbcode is defined in bbcode.php
this bbcode is defined in bbcode.phpBroadsword and/or the other uncles may or may not be in future episodes as supporting characters. If he does sacrifice himself to save another character it wouldn't necessarily be permanent even if it may seem so at first.

And just to be clear, the above isn't vague because spoilers, I genuinely don't know if that's going to happen. It could, it might not.

But yeah I'll probably be lynched regardless for even bringing up that possibility lolz[/registered]
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

A thought I had regarding Episode 2's ending and Uncle Broadsword's part therein (major story spoilers):
Have it conclude with Uncle Broadsword - upon realizing that the universe is about to end - using some power to warp himself, Demo, and Iris to "safety." I put "safety" in quotes because the "safety" in question is being stuck in the dimensional void, in a bubble of sorts, which protects them from the terror-void... but also means none of the three can get out.

This isn't the same as what raocow would receive to allow him to travel from Episode 2 to Episode 3. Rather, this would be how Demo and Iris (and maybe Uncle Broadsword) get from Episodes 1/2/3 to Episode 4. But they can't get out of their bubble until freed during the events of Episode 4 (by the combined efforts of Ep 1 Sheath, Ep 2 raocow, and Ep 3 Kood).

To pass the time they spend bored in the bubble, Broadsword sings Demo and Iris a Lullaby over the Ep 2 end credits.

This could satisfy the interest some have voiced (Willhart comes to mind) of Ep 2 having a "happy ending." It's more of a HOPEFUL ending, I suppose - the players know that Demo and Iris have survived the end of the universe in at least one episode, but they need some outside assistance to be set free.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I'm still working on one large end of the world type level. There are some things I'll have to fix from my other levels too.

Can anyone here help me make background music loop better? I tried to do that with Audacity, but it did not work too well.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Willhart wrote:I'm still working on one large end of the world type level. There are some things I'll have to fix from my other levels too.

Can anyone here help me make background music loop better? I tried to do that with Audacity, but it did not work too well.
I can give it ago. There's a knack to good loops, and to get the best results you need an understanding of signal processing too. I've made a few loops before.

I'm also working on an end-world level. Just waiting for CinematX to be ready.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Thanks. These two songs had some problems with the looping according to the reviews.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxij3Y ... sp=sharing
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Willhart wrote:Thanks. These two songs had some problems with the looping according to the reviews.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxij3Y ... sp=sharing
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30847069/looped.rar

That should do it. Opus #1 was quite hard to loop, but I think I've got something that works there.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

They sound better. Thanks again. I would probably have left them as is otherwise.
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

So, have we decided on whether Episode 2 will have gigantic world hubs(which could also be towns) or regular overworlds again? Because in the former the key secret exists don't work.
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Oddwrath wrote:So, have we decided on whether Episode 2 will have gigantic world hubs(which could also be towns) or regular overworlds again? Because in the former the key secret exists don't work.
I remember that people were suggesting some kind of combination of the two. It's probably not fully decided yet though.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Hoeloe wrote:
Willhart wrote:I'm still working on one large end of the world type level. There are some things I'll have to fix from my other levels too.

I can give it ago. There's a knack to good loops, and to get the best results you need an understanding of signal processing too. I've made a few loops before.

I'm also working on an end-world level. Just waiting for CinematX to be ready.
Hang on, I've been out of the loop (pun shamelessly intended). Have people figured out a way to loop things properly or are you talking about SMBX's standard mechanics and building MP3s to work with that?
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Doctor Shemp wrote: Hang on, I've been out of the loop (pun shamelessly intended). Have people figured out a way to loop things properly or are you talking about SMBX's standard mechanics and building MP3s to work with that?
SMBX seems to just play the sound file repeatedly, which is fine for a lot of things, but means it's difficult, if not impossible, to give music an "introduction". I was just building loops that didn't need one, and could just use standard SMBX looping.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Hoeloe wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote: Hang on, I've been out of the loop (pun shamelessly intended). Have people figured out a way to loop things properly or are you talking about SMBX's standard mechanics and building MP3s to work with that?
SMBX seems to just play the sound file repeatedly, which is fine for a lot of things, but means it's difficult, if not impossible, to give music an "introduction". I was just building loops that didn't need one, and could just use standard SMBX looping.
there should be a working function in lua that can handle the music and loop it correctly(with .ogg), I know this since lots of MMO games use the same method
Image Image
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Mabel wrote: there should be a working function in lua that can handle the music and loop it correctly(with .ogg), I know this since lots of MMO games use the same method
Implementation dependent, I'm afraid. It would either have to work via SMBX's existing music system, or patch into the sound card directly (which has issues on multiple platforms, and would need a library extension to the C++). It's worth remembering that all Lua does is act as a wrapper for other languages. In this case, it's basically allowing calls into the C++ code. Lua can't really do anything by itself.
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

Hoeloe wrote:
Mabel wrote: there should be a working function in lua that can handle the music and loop it correctly(with .ogg), I know this since lots of MMO games use the same method
Implementation dependent, I'm afraid. It would either have to work via SMBX's existing music system, or patch into the sound card directly (which has issues on multiple platforms, and would need a library extension to the C++). It's worth remembering that all Lua does is act as a wrapper for other languages. In this case, it's basically allowing calls into the C++ code. Lua can't really do anything by itself.
So, there's no way we could use .ogg instead of .mp3? Well, that's terrible. Especially, considering how much space that would save.
On a sound-related note, though, is there a way to make the P-switches not change the music and instead play the P-switch sound like in ASMT?
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Oddwrath wrote: So, there's no way we could use .ogg instead of .mp3?
Not necessarily, it's just very complicated and difficult.
Kevsoft
LunaLua Master Developer

Post by Kevsoft »

It would require third-party libraries to get that running...
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Kevsoft wrote:It would require third-party libraries to get that running...
Yup. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though, just difficult to set up. In fact, there are some 3rd party media libraries that could help with a few things in SMBX, including music and control inputs.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I feel like some of the old episode 1 topics could be moved somewhere else.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

Speaking of

Uncle Broadsword

, I'm in the middle of creating a level with demolition that would be perfect in introducing him. I've currently got

]Scrooge McDuck

in it, as he was the only videogame character I could think up of who

bounces on a sword/stick etc.

However,

Uncle Broadsword

would make a perfect substitute.

After all, nothing says Uncle Broadsword like

bursting through a window

Failing that, I think his first appearance should definitely start with

him bursting through a window

(Geez. It looks like the Government went through my post).

P.S. I'm reminded of something. We aren't going to be doing huge cutscenes outside of levels, right? It would, after all, make far more sense for levels to tell the story.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

ztarwuff wrote:Speaking of

Uncle Broadsword

, I'm in the middle of creating a level with demolition that would be perfect in introducing him. I've currently got

]Scrooge McDuck

in it, as he was the only videogame character I could think up of who

bounces on a sword/stick etc.

However,

Uncle Broadsword

would make a perfect substitute.

After all, nothing says

Uncle Broadsword

bursting through a window

Failing that, I think his first appearance should definitely start with

him bursting through a window

(Geez. It looks like the Government went through my post).
Is this the same one mentioned in the graphics thread? I'll get you an extended sprite sheet of him with walking animations and stuff.
P.S. I'm reminded of something. We aren't going to be doing huge cutscenes outside of levels, right? It would, after all, make far more sense for levels to tell the story.
I'm all for telling the story through more scripted sequences, environmental details, NPC dialogue, etc. That's a big part of why I'm making cinematX and related libraries, to make all those things easier.

Here's a video update I did a few days ago showing some new functionality of the script: you can specify properties of the NPC in the Message field like icons and stuff and the script will display those things for you. You can also define a string to reference that particular NPC in cutscenes and stuff.

Something important that video doesn't demonstrate is that cinematX will let you call routines as either cutscenes or scripted events, so you can choose whether the player maintains control during the whole thing.

EDIT: And the

Broadsword boss battle

still isn't fixed up just yet. Still working on that.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Post by LunarNeedle »

Ah? You're working on episode two so soon? That's interesting. I wouldn't mind submitting a level I'm working on as I get reused to the engine provided there is indeed enough time. Would I be able to submit my level there, or has it passed level creation phase?

Just curious, nothing more!
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

LunarNeedle wrote:Ah? You're working on episode two so soon? That's interesting. I wouldn't mind submitting a level I'm working on as I get reused to the engine provided there is indeed enough time. Would I be able to submit my level there, or has it passed level creation phase?

We are currently on the level creation and submitting stage. Most people are taking a break though, so I'm not expecting the level judging/voting to start any time soon. There is still plenty of time to make a level for the next episode.
LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Post by LunarNeedle »

Willhart wrote:
LunarNeedle wrote:Ah? You're working on episode two so soon? That's interesting. I wouldn't mind submitting a level I'm working on as I get reused to the engine provided there is indeed enough time. Would I be able to submit my level there, or has it passed level creation phase?

We are currently on the level creation and submitting stage. Most people are taking a break though, so I'm not expecting the level judging/voting to start any time soon. There is still plenty of time to make a level for the next episode.
That's good news, I'll be working on the level in-between my downtime between my college classes. Thanks for the quick response though. You can tell I've semi-avoided forums for like ten months at least. It feels weird to post questions and the like. Thanks again!
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Who made the map for episode one? I need to ask them a question or two.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

TiKi wrote:Who made the map for episode one? I need to ask them a question or two.
Feenick made the graphics and Sturg build it from them.