(shouting)

Moondust Project thread [Support moved]

The second SMBX collab!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: PGE Project thread (Latest Editor 0.3.1.9 and Engine 0.2.5-alpha)

Post by SAJewers »

Just noticed this bug (using latest dev version): If you use Test with SMBX on a level that uses a a format like NSFE or HES with a specific track # (ie "test.hes|3"), it won't copy the music to the right place, and smbx will throw an error that it can't find the music (and thus play no music). It works without specifying a track # (ie test2.nsf)

If you need an example in the OneDrive, lucasadrianogb-The Ninji Gravity Machinery Store" works, "MrSecurity-Glum" doesn't
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Wohlstand
Moondust and TheXTech developer
First name: Vitaly
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Wohlstand »

SAJewers wrote:Just noticed this bug (using latest dev version): If you use Test with SMBX on a level that uses a a format like NSFE or HES with a specific track # (ie "test.hes|3"), it won't copy the music to the right place, and smbx will throw an error that it can't find the music (and thus play no music). It works without specifying a track # (ie test2.nsf)

If you need an example in the OneDrive, lucasadrianogb-The Ninji Gravity Machinery Store" works, "MrSecurity-Glum" doesn't
Ouch, totally forgot to crop that part from input string before do path checking, wait until I will come to home (now I'm in the bus), and I will fix that issue. Thanks for notice ;-)
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Sorry, Wohlstand, I keep forgetting to log on and post about this problem with the editor.
snapshot.PNG
snapshot.PNG (6.11 KiB) Viewed 10475 times
The buttons are in German for some strange reason, even though the language is set to English. Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

ztarwuff wrote:Sorry, Wohlstand, I keep forgetting to log on and post about this problem with the editor.
snapshot.PNG
The buttons are in German for some strange reason, even though the language is set to English. Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut.
Remove languages/qt_en.qs - it's a junk file which causes default buttons in German, and you still have that (it already removed from public repo, but users who already got this, will have it until this file will be removed manually).
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Wohlstand wrote:
ztarwuff wrote:Sorry, Wohlstand, I keep forgetting to log on and post about this problem with the editor.
snapshot.PNG
Remove languages/qt_en.qs - it's a junk file which causes default buttons in German, and you still have that (it already removed from public repo, but users who already got this, will have it until this file will be removed manually).
I couldn't find qt_en.qs but I did find a qt_en.qm, so I deleted that instead. That did the trick. Thanks for the help.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

ztarwuff wrote:I couldn't find qt_en.qs but I did find a qt_en.qm, so I deleted that instead. That did the trick. Thanks for the help.
*.qm... right, that "qs" was my typo, sorry ;)
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

PGE Engine: WIP features of upcoming 0.2.5.1-alpha

Original Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox31RezF-uw
Wohlstand

New update!

Post by Wohlstand »

NEW UPDATE!
PGE Editor v0.3.1.10 and PGE Engine 0.2.5.1-alpha

This is long time update contains internal optimizations and very important improvements and bug fixes.

Since long time direct testing in the SMBX Engine from PGE Editor is finally possible without pre-launching of legacy editor. PGE Engine finally supports backup module with OpenGL 2 to allow running of PGE Engine on the older hardware, finally implemented support of non-power-of-two textures on video cards which are supports power-of-two textures only. Order of BGO's finally fixed (after some researches, we are extracted completed BGO's order priorities of all BGO's), therefore trouble with missmatched order of BGO's in comparison to old SMBX Engine is finally resolved. Also, PGE File Library is finally can read and write SMBX-38A level file format (but world map formats support are comming soon).

All downloads are available on main post or on official site: http://wohlsoft.ru/PGE/

Editor changelog 0.3.1.10
- Fixed custom folder confusion caused with dot-contained file names
- Level list dialog now looks for level files in sub directories (is possible to collect levels into sub-directories to don't flood episode root folder)
- Better testing through SMBX on Windows version: if SMBX Editor is not started, SMBX Test will be launched from scratch!
- Added support of SMBX65-38A file formats
- Fixed miss up of order priority applying for BGO-190
- Added circle fill
- Added grid showing
- Added separated support of portal and instant warps: instant warp will do same as in SMBX, portal warp will teleport character with keeping of keenetic energy
- NPC-Containers now supports saving of extra special properties for contents: LVLX and SMBX65-38A only, SMBX64 LVL supports extra special for one NPC container only
- Better and stable interprocessing with engine based on stdin/stdout!
- Added warning about alpha-testing of PGE Engine for newbies.
- Resolved trouble with window focuses
- Added ability to set absolute values of sizable block size from block properties tool box
- Finally implemented true BGO's order priority table which results right order of the BGOs in comparison with SMBX Editor

Engine changelog 0.2.5.1-alpha
- Fixed custom folder confusion caused with dot-contained file names
- Added more physical environment zones types, include air chambers for underwater sections
- Added separated support of portal and instant warps: instant warp will do same as in SMBX, portal warp will teleport character with keeping of kinetic energy
- Added support of enter event for warps
- Added support of two-way directed warps
- Added support of cannon exit warps
- Better and stable interprocessing with editor based on stdin/stdout!1
- Added a support of character filter blocks and character switch blocks!
- Better speed-adding physics
- Layer motion engine has been implemented!
- Bit better slopes support
- Player Lua API has been implemented! It provides a programmign of playable character events
- Improved onHarm/onKill events on NPC-AI
- Added new NPC-AI events, functions and variables
- Added a support of collision toggling from lua
- Added ability to use OpenGL 2 if not possible to use OpenGL 3 (also with support of compatibility with video cards which are not supports non-power of two textures)

New update completely changes NPC-Container configuration, therefore you no longer need to manually define NPC-placer button in lvl_npc.ini. Instead you have the ability to configure any NPC with special parameter even if it's stored into container (container itself no longer uses special1 field. Instead, it uses its own "content" field)
TvGameSmwSmbx

Re: PGE Project thread (Latest Editor 0.3.1.10 and Engine 0.2.5-1-alpha)

Post by TvGameSmwSmbx »

sorry to disturb you like this but I think you should update this type of situation I think you need to fix all the bugs in this SMBX Integration

I'm just to remind me to fix the compatible x86/x64 for Online Installer of PGE for SMBX Integration

because it have a little problem on my Windows 10 computer just to let you know because I was trying to update you with the new version

edit: that also goes for LunaLUA you have to fix that as well it work with the new version

edit 2: and I almost completely forgot my windows version is x86

so I need this SMBX Integration this Windows Integration x86 to order to work on my Windows 10 computer it is kind of it is give trouble sometimes
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

TvGameSmwSmbx wrote:sorry to disturb you like this but I think you should update this type of situation I think you need to fix all the bugs in this SMBX Integration

I'm just to remind me to fix the compatible x86/x64 for Online Installer of PGE for SMBX Integration

because it have a little problem on my Windows 10 computer just to let you know because I was trying to update you with the new version

edit: that also goes for LunaLUA you have to fix that as well it work with the new version

edit 2: and I almost completely forgot my windows version is x86

so I need this SMBX Integration this Windows Integration x86 to order to work on my Windows 10 computer it is kind of it is give trouble sometimes
I think, you need to re-download online installer, since it reconfigured to use wohlsoft.ru's mirror instead of gna, because it works faster. I just tried that on Windows 10 from VirtualBox, and it installed PGE successfully and it successfully configured SMBX Integration with LunaLUA-SMBX (Also yea, with latest build you also must take nightly dev build of LunaLUA because it supports extra features required by PGE which are not presented in older LunaLUA version)
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Apparently this line breaks when there are another VB6 programs open. Thaks to Rednaxela for pointing it out.
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... g.cpp#L461

Apparently, when starting the smbx level test on PGE, the other VB6 program opens instead of the new window for smbx.

See gif below.

Also why do we have to have smbx open before we can test it? It makes two smbx to be open at the time ehilw testing, since testing opens a new window currently, on the latest smbx 2.0 version I got from github today.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Willhart wrote:Apparently this line breaks when there are another VB6 programs open. Thaks to Rednaxela for pointing it out.
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... g.cpp#L461

Apparently, when starting the smbx level test on PGE, the other VB6 program opens instead of the new window for smbx.

See gif below.

Also why do we have to have smbx open before we can test it? It makes two smbx to be open at the time ehilw testing, since testing opens a new window currently, on the latest smbx 2.0 version I got from github today.
I kept that function for finding already running SMBX Editor to send level data into it. That requested by HenryRicherds to keep this way of test running. I think, I'll replace that dumb thing with a detecting of an unique shared memory descriptor which will be initialized in LunaLUA while SMBX Editor is started (Don't init shared memory if regular game in process). Rednaxela noticed me that before, but I used this detection to focus into running SMBX test window. Instead of that, LunaLUA internally seizes focus to SMBX game window when level testing requested from PGE Editor. Thanks for notice, I'll completely remove this dumb thing away (to use shared memory detection instead)
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Important Hotfix
Contains minor fixes and changes in the Editor and in the Engine
Change-log Editor:
* Added Polish translation of the editor
* Optimized performance and memory usage
* Fixed some inabilities to show custom graphics in the item selection dialogs
* Flood fill will never fill out of section by default (to allow filling out of section, need to unchec a special flag in the "Edit" menu)
* Fixed empty category entry wihth appears on some groups in blocks and BGO lists
* Added ability to show default only elements in the tilesets editor box
* Added "Top-Right" and "Right-Bottom" section sides for camera position reset
* Test Settings are finally working
* Fixed update checker

Change-log Engine:
* Added support of the software renderer that allows you to play PGE Engine even without OpenGL
* Fixed logic in the configuration loading
* Fixed right-side warped NPC sprite [For example, right-directed drill roze had a wrong cropped sprite]
* Added more command line arguments to have better debug control and ability to pass initial test settings from Editor into Engine

Also Online Installer updated too!
Now it remembers components which you are selected, and also finally supports the portable installation (and updating!), also adding PGE path into PATH environment is completely optional and no needed!
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Small P-Switch implementation in PGE-LUA

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdNsQNzB5Ho
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

PGE Engine: Another experimental playthrough (Engine v. 0.2.6)

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI9Mnt2Zdy0
onpon4
Sharing is good.
First name: Julie

Post by onpon4 »

Nice! Say, out of couriosity, would you be interested in making an entry for PGE on NCFC this year?

http://nintendocfc.com/

Probably sometime in August, if it's like last year.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Hello!

Sorry for a slow development and no news in those two months, because I was been overloaded on the job, but don't worry, I still do progress and you can see any my activity on the GitHub repository.
While passed a three months, I made a lot of bug-fixes inside PGE Editor and tools, but PGE Engine currently has very unstable physics, and I working on it to resolve most of known issues with it. Anyway a lot of new Lua API has been implemented, therefore playable characters are has much more skills than before. NPC-AI API also improved, and you can preview changes in the new configuration packages published here:
http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/_laboratory/config_packs/
There are compatible only with laboratory builds and not compatible with current release. Also good news for people who are want automate some processes with a files and data, we are working on plugins system for PGE Editor where plugins are will be written in JavaScript. With this configurable config packs like "SMBX Integration" now no more requiring manual staring "configure.exe" tool. Instead, PGE Editor automatically detect state of config pack and will run javascript-coded configure tool. Is possible to re-run it from "Configuration" menu. (Be careful! SMBXby38a config pack is experimental, and not finished!)

PGE MusPlay, a young PGE component, now supports file association (click by right mouse button to open context menu), and you can play any supported by SDL Mixer X music formats to test them how there are will work in PGE Editor/Engine, in LunaLUA-SMBX, in SMBX-38A (aka SMBX 1.4.x). Don't forget you can use in games a real chip-tunes (those files are has size a few kilobytes, but producing pure quality of game sound!) instead of huge audio files (aka WAV/MP3/OGG/FLAC).

You also can watch latest changes here:
Latest changelog of the Editor: https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... editor.txt
Latest changelog of the Engine: https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... engine.txt

Watch for a news, and good luck in your levels, projects, and entertainment!
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

PGE Engine: Twillight Fortress
A test of the updated physical engine in the PGE Engine.

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqVw3Uz0eDM
Wohlstand

Re: PGE Project thread (Latest Editor 0.3.1.11 and Engine 0.2.6-alpha)

Post by Wohlstand »

PGE Editor 0.3.1.11 and PGE Engine 0.2.6-alpha
This is a big update for the PGE Project, which contains a reorganizing of the config pack management system and lot of other bug fixes. Configure tools in the config packs like "SMBX Integration" now are working with JavaScript, which allows them be platform-independent and more secure! The PGE Engine got a huge improvement recently and now has an upgraded physical engine which fixes most of the bugs with slopes and with moving blocks (however, there is still improvement for layer move system to be made)!
More detail info in the change logs!

Small and good news for users with portable packages (.ZIP): settings will no longer be lost when you are doing an update, because all settings will be saved into the new-created "settings" folder, which will never be replaced on an update with a ZIP-Package!

A big update is done for the OS X users, which will be able associate LVL/WLD/LVLX/WLDX-files with PGE Editor and PGE Engine by simple placing the PGE Project-folder into the "Applications" directory. In addition many other fixes were made, including the fix for interprocess testing!

All downloads are have been updated!

Note: Old config packs are no more compatible with this version, and lot of glitches are possible with them. Therefore, you must download the new config packs from a main page.

In next time I'll release updates more often ;-)

Editor 0.3.1.11 changelog
- Added Polish translation of the editor
- Optimized performance and memory usage
- Fixed some inabilities to show custom graphics in the item selection dialogs
- Flood fill will never fill out of section by default (to allow filling out of section, need to uncheck a special flag in the "Edit" menu)
- Fixed empty category entry width appears on some groups in blocks and BGO lists
- Added ability to show default only elements in the tile-sets editor box
- Added "Top-Right" and "Right-Bottom" section sides for camera position reset
- Test are finally working
- Fixed frame-sequence based animator for the blocks
- Fixed junk element entries on damaged or absence of the image file
- Added support of the automatically running of the configure utilities in the config packs. Now configure utilities are working in JavaScript instead of executables!
- Fixed log level management
- Better validating of configuration package INI-files in the editor (to avoid future crashes because damaged config pack)
- Experimental plugins system
- Fixed menubar confusion while loading, and fixed confusion between settings and quit menu actions on Mac OS X
- Fixed stability of LunaTester to don't freeze/crash PGE Editor if crashes/failures on side of SMBX Engine
- Settings are will be saved into separated "settings" directory to have convenient way to update portable PGE package
- Fixed config reloading crash on Windows
- Implemented full support for custom config files for all elements: block-*.ini, background-*.ini, tile-*.ini, scene-*.ini, path-*.ini, level-*.ini
- Removed a useles auto-script generation thing
- Added auto-crearing/opening for lunadll.lua/lunaworld.lua/lunaoverworld.lua files and configurable PGE-Specific level/world script names
- Fully implemented support of split configurations for level backgrounds, blocks, BGOs, NPCs, terrain tiles, sceneries, paths and level tiles

Engine 0.2.6-alpha
- Improved testing of the renderers support to avoid accidental running of the unsupported renderer
- Added software renderer support for video cards which are not supports OpenGL
- Added ability to manually choice a renderer (by --render-gl3, --render-gl2 or by --render-sw arguments)
- Added graphical API to load external graphic files with lua scripts
- Added Paths functions to get full path to media folders
- Added event to draw HUD with binding of the camera metrics and player state
- Added binding to playOnceAnimation for playable character API
- Added support of more advanced effects for lua API
- Fixed sprite warping for NPCs, now there are correctly warping from warp generators with any sizes of sprites
- Fixed inter-processing on Mac OS X, and no more requires manual event processing to accept IPC messages
- All debug keys (such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 0 and F5, F6, F7, F8) are now disabled by default and can be re-enabled with "takesecretkeychain" cheat command
- Fixed path-opener wired vision bug on the world map
- Enabled ability to spawn effects on the world map (one effect is spawning a smoke when level or path enabling)
- Fixed exit code management in the path opener processor
- Implemented full support for custom config files for all elements: block-*.ini, background-*.ini, tile-*.ini, scene-*.ini, path-*.ini, level-*.ini
- Fully implemented support of split configurations for level backgrounds, blocks, BGOs, NPCs, terrain tiles, sceneries, paths and level tiles
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

So, how's PGE Engine nowadays? Is it good enough to use for playing Episodes and/or testing levels?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

SAJewers wrote:So, how's PGE Engine nowadays? Is it good enough to use for playing Episodes and/or testing levels?
Yea, is possible play levels and episodes, but still be limited in many cases: not all NPC-AI's are written, but most of them can be done even now, and some skills of player wasn't being implemented, wasn't implemented checkpoints subsystem, incorrect and inomptimal implementation of layer moving system (layers with huge number of objects will lag game. I have solution and I think to apply it in next update)
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Wohlstand wrote:(layers with huge number of objects will lag game. I have solution and I think to apply it in next update)
*cough* Proper object hierarchical transforms *cough*
Wohlstand

New Update!

Post by Wohlstand »

New Update!

This is a bugfix release which also contains editor and engine side improvements like coin counter per every block, fixed-size screenshots (custom fixed size can be declared in the application settings, in the view tab), and added greeting dialog which will ask a user which interface is preferred for convenience. Classic GUI style now has a toolbar which is similar to the toolbar which was in the legacy editor!

All downloads are have been updated!

Next works will hard, and would take a time because it's huge reorganizing is planned. Please don't worry, If you will find some minor or crashing bugs, feel free report me to let me emergency release a patch for it. Good Luck ;-)

Editor changelog 0.3.1.12
* Added draggable splitter in the events toolbox
* Added ability to define fixed size for exportable section piece
* Fixed crash, caused by very small pictures (1 px height)
* Added preview counter of coins in the blocks
* Added direction arrows for warp points of pipe type
* Fixed in-bounds of section detection used by flood-fill algorithm
* Added ability to override grid size with custom
* Added ability to delete all elements of specified ID
* Fixed toolboxes visibility management
* Fixed bug in default grid snapping value applying
* Added a vanilla-like toolbar which will be shown when SMBX-Like GUI will be requested
* Added item type global grid field in the lvl_blocks, lvl_bgo, lvl_npc, wld_levels, wld_paths, wld_scenery and wld_tiles INIs
* Added welcome dialog for newbies
* Get characters information from lvl_characters.ini instead of main.ini!
* Fixed missed "modified" mark on elements deleting
* Fixed the focus stealing in the "don't show properties box" mode
* Better nearest section detection calculation by position bookmarks
* Fixed some missed "file modified" triggers
* Fixed confused events history tracking
* Added a scroll area into "Warps and Doors" toolbox

Engine 0.2.6-patch-1
* Fixed some NPC-AI API properties
* Added GIF recorder (working everywhere, by F11 key press)
* Fixed rendering of lua-rendered stuff hidden by message boxes
* Added support of Z-Index for image and text rendering from lua code
* Config pack selection dialog has been reorganized into a scene (that allows using a joystick in it, making screenshots from it and even recording GIFs from it!). It's one of the steps to reducing Qt usage on the engine side. Target is using QCoreApplication only to reduce the size of engine's static build.
* Font manager has been improved and fixed
* Special pause menu for the level testing mode with ability to restart the level!
* Don't close IPC-ran level on restarting
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Re: PGE Project thread (Latest Editor 0.3.1.12 and Engine 0.2.6-alpha)

Post by Emral »

Hi everyone.
As part of a planned gradual revamp of this project, we (the PGE's core contributors and devs) have decided to work towards getting serious about a new project name.

Here's a google forms poll link that everyone's invited to take a look at and select the checkboxes for names they think fit our criteria for a future project name. Namely our criteria is essentially that the project name should be simple, fitting and an attractive choice for being associated with PGE's core user-purpose and ideas.

Suggestions for a name not listed may be submitted using the 'Other' checkbox option provided in the form along with an explanation (provided at the bottom of the form) if possible.

Currently the poll is set to last for 6 days (subject to change). An optional tiebreaker might be held if necessary.

Here's hoping we'll hear from you all! Extended discussion or comments for particular name(s) are also encouraged to be posted in this thread or alternatively here.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: PGE Project thread (Latest Editor 0.3.1.12 and Engine 0.2.6-alpha)

Post by ano0maly »

What is the PGE Project?

My understanding was that the goal of PGE was to reproduce and create a royalty-free platforming engine that is also backwards-compatible with SMBX 1.3x.

But then SMBX 2.0 came along and that changed the whole story. If PGE and SMBX 2.0 coexist, what would be their relationship?