Moondust Project thread [Support moved]

The second SMBX collab!
Wohlstand
Moondust and TheXTech developer
First name: Vitaly
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Alternate Editor for SMBX

Post by Wohlstand »

ztarwuff wrote:Well, that's odd, because I used that exact same installer to download what I thought was the latest version. I did that on the 6th March.

If I use it again, do I need to delete the old PGE or does the installer write over the old one?
Yes, you can use it again, Online installer will overwrite old files with new, but it now doesn't remembers installing components and you need to set up them again. (additional config packs for example, but they are updating too). Now I preparing to release Editor 0.3.0 Beta
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

This is a small test of PGE editor on the Android. It was build for this platform first time (before I had attemts to make it, but failed. But now I finally build it!).
Design is needed for improvment, but it works!

Small test on the Samsung Galaxy S III Smartphone:

Small level made on the smartphone!
My opinion: Works creepy and too bad GUI design: scrolling too hard (I should switch between hand drag and select modes to take ability use scrolling), I can't open context menu, because right mouse button is not available for finger touching. I also should use gyroscope to flip horizontal/vertical to take ability use some toolboxes. File open/save dialogs are hard to usage. Also audio playback doesn't work because I doesn't built SDL and SDL Mixer for android usage. But by anyway it works!
Android version is required for a much of works: need a better touch scrolling, need the implementation of the alternate context menu trigger to take ability to use more editing features.

Later I will add the Linux (Mint) and experimental Android builds into laboratory.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Wohlstand wrote:This is a small test of PGE editor on the Android.
That's pretty cool, but I question the usefulness of such a feature at this stage. If you had the engine built-in, and you could play on a mobile platform too, then this would be a neat application, but as it currently stands, you can only play the levels on PC, so the ability to develop them on mobile seems a little pointless at this stage.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Hoeloe wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:This is a small test of PGE editor on the Android.
That's pretty cool, but I question the usefulness of such a feature at this stage. If you had the engine built-in, and you could play on a mobile platform too, then this would be a neat application, but as it currently stands, you can only play the levels on PC, so the ability to develop them on mobile seems a little pointless at this stage.
By anyway I plan firstly release engine part to play games on mobile devices. But because I wasn't built SDL library for Android, I wasn't built engine. But I was built the editor (I disabled linking to SDL Mixer because I wasn't built SDL - dependency of SDL Mixer) which can work even without SDL, but without audio (musics and sounds will be sielent)

I plan also implement the special archive-like format of games which will be contain inside:
-Used default musics
-Used default sounds
-Used default graphics
-One or multiple Episodes with all available contents.
-Settings of everything
-System and custom LUA-scripts
This main thing of this concept is: unlike classic SMBX episode structure, those archive-like games can be ran by engine WITHOUT installation of dependent config packs because everything already packed into them!

By anyway the implementation of engine gameplay for mobile device is easy: I need only to use touch screen buttons and add more usage of mouse in menus and message boxes. (by anyway some devices has ability to connect USB keyboard and mouse to take PC-like control!).
The design of mobile editor will has difference concept especially for usage on small touch screens. My current build is a true hardcore!
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Small news!

I just added Linux Mint x64 and Android builts of the editor into laboratory.

Also: Who uses Linux Mint or Ubuntu-like distros now please check is my deploy works for you or not?

You can try the hardcore on your tabled or with more hardcore - on smartphone now! :biggrin:

Rock with unstable Android built here:
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_laboratory/

Note for Android: Unpack config packs into "/sdcard/PGE Project Data/configs" folder. It will be created automatically when you will run editor even with no config packs.

But by anyway,
Beta has been came now!

-> PGE Editor 0.3.0-Beta
-> Download Windows x86 binaries

-> Download Linux Mint x64 binaries

-> Download experimental Android built of the PGE Editor

Installers coming soon!

Changelog 0.3.0-beta
Editor 0.3.0
- Fixed group collision random crash
- Fixed 'too large weight' crash
- Added update checking
- Better history manager
- Added support of user specific settings and logs
- Interprocess communication system is fixed for Linux and Windows systems!
- Fixed freezing on reading some NPC.txts with mistakes
- Added ability to save progress on file reload
- Added more soft parsing of NPC.txt files. Instead of rejecting, you will be warned about wrong values but file will be loaded!
- Added more smart reloading of files
- Added basic communication with LunaDLL to run test of current level in the opened SMBX Editor. This feature will work on Windows platform only. (LunaDLL with LUA v0.5.3-beta and higher is required in the SMBX)
- Added "force-portable" settings to keep using of application directory instad of ~/.PGE_Project folder if you was installed editor by installer
- Added crash autosave which will give chance to keep most of your progess even crash happened
- Added history manager limit to prevent memory overflow.
- Fixed a lots of bugs in the layers and events tool-boxes.
- Fixed blinking of toolboxes on startup.
- Added SoX autio converter GUI to provide quick and easy audio files fixing toolset.
- Added message box event creator for blocks context menu.
- Fixed bug of events toolbox when changing language.
Last edited by Wohlstand 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Yay, new update! On an unrelated note, nice new avatar!
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

Wohlstand, just thought I'd give you a head's up. Norton Security's flagging up your online downloader as a threat. It says it's infected with W32.Neshuta.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

ztarwuff wrote:Wohlstand, just thought I'd give you a head's up. Norton Security's flagging up your online downloader as a threat. It says it's infected with W32.Neshuta.
Shit! (I had a huge fight with this stinky virus). I'l fix it now!

EDIT: Fixed, pleas check it again.
The Name of than virus - Neshta, virus from Belarus of 2005'th year. Old virus, but too much annoying, be careful!

Edit2: Who got virus infection, I have medicine for it: http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_laborato ... Neshta.zip
1) Run "AntiNeshta.bat" first! It's a looped batch script which will prevent virus activity and prevent new infection of files
2) Then run killneshta.exe to check out your PC and disinfect all infected files
3) when disinfection was completed, try it again just in case. When everything is clean, you can abort AntiNeshta.bat and continue your works
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Wohlstand wrote:
ztarwuff wrote:Wohlstand, just thought I'd give you a head's up. Norton Security's flagging up your online downloader as a threat. It says it's infected with W32.Neshuta.
Shit! (I had a huge fight with this stinky virus). I'l fix it now!

EDIT: Fixed, pleas check it again.
The Name of than virus - Neshta, virus from Belarus of 2005'th year. Old virus, but too much annoying, be careful!
It's all fine now. Good thing I decided not to trust the first download. It's probably why so few people are using the A2XT Devkit for anything; after all, it keeps flagging up as a threat too.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Laboratory mirror was moved!

Hello!
I have a good news for people whom annoyed to download via slow-speed connection!
PGE Project now is registered on the Gna!,
and we are got ability to host PGE builts and config packs on the server with a better download speed!

Welcome to the new laboratory place!
http://home.gna.org/pgewohlstand/

P.S. Later I will re-program online installer to take it download from GNA instead of engine.wohlnet.ru, but not online installer will still download packages from slow connection with engine.wohlnet.ru server.

EDIT: Online Installer has been updated! http://download.gna.org/pgewohlstand/de ... loader.exe
(The download speed should be faster than was before)
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Wohlstand, it's a minor issue, but I thought I'd just point it out... Background-24 is a foreground object. I'm using it as a blood stain, so I don't have to create multiple blood-stained versions of the same block. However, in the PGE, background-24 doesn't display over the block, it displays underneath it.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

ztarwuff wrote:Wohlstand, it's a minor issue, but I thought I'd just point it out... Background-24 is a foreground object. I'm using it as a blood stain, so I don't have to create multiple blood-stained versions of the same block. However, in the PGE, background-24 doesn't display over the block, it displays underneath it.
Than issues like wrong BGO Z-indexes or grid sizes, etc. can be fixed by simple editing of INI file. Thanks for noticing about thins mistake, I will check out this thing in the SMBX and will apply fix into config packs (I will update them after fixing).
You also can fix it yourself (goto configs/<pack name>/lvl_bgo.ini). By anyway almost everything is documented.
Also you can save copy of your level into LVLX and you will have to use Z-Layer switch which will provide you ability to re-define default settings of BGO Z-Order. But when you will export level for SMBX, resave them into LVL back

EDIT: Eveything was fixed and config packs was updated, use online installer (download it again, I updated them too!) to get fixed config packs
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

It's amazing how much time this editor has saved me while making levels. I really wish I had started using it sooner.

The lazy fix tool for masks can actually be used for speeding up the crearion of masks for sprites and tilesets. I can simply copy the ready sprites, change the background to white and then let the program do the rest.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Willhart wrote:It's amazing how much time this editor has saved me while making levels. I really wish I had started using it sooner.

The lazy fix tool for masks can actually be used for speeding up the crearion of masks for sprites and tilesets. I can simply copy the ready sprites, change the background to white and then let the program do the rest.
To speed up creation of new sprites from scratch I recommends you to use the PNG2GIFs tool instead [simply run it and drag&drop source PNG images (with real transparency) to get SMBX specific GIF+Mask format], but if you has not Paint.NET, GIMP or Photoshop to have able use Alpha-channel, usage the LazyFix tool is really a good strategy, good :)
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Wohlstand wrote:
Willhart wrote:It's amazing how much time this editor has saved me while making levels. I really wish I had started using it sooner.

To speed up creation of new sprites from scratch I recommends you to use the PNG2GIFs tool instead [simply run it and drag&drop source PNG images (with real transparency) to get SMBX specific GIF+Mask format], but if you has not Paint.NET, GIMP or Photoshop to have able use Alpha-channel, usage the LazyFix tool is really a good strategy, good :)
I'll have to try that too. Thanks for the tip.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Wohlstand wrote:
ztarwuff wrote:Wohlstand, it's a minor issue, but I thought I'd just point it out... Background-24 is a foreground object. I'm using it as a blood stain, so I don't have to create multiple blood-stained versions of the same block. However, in the PGE, background-24 doesn't display over the block, it displays underneath it.
Than issues like wrong BGO Z-indexes or grid sizes, etc. can be fixed by simple editing of INI file. Thanks for noticing about thins mistake, I will check out this thing in the SMBX and will apply fix into config packs (I will update them after fixing).
You also can fix it yourself (goto configs/<pack name>/lvl_bgo.ini). By anyway almost everything is documented.
Also you can save copy of your level into LVLX and you will have to use Z-Layer switch which will provide you ability to re-define default settings of BGO Z-Order. But when you will export level for SMBX, resave them into LVL back

EDIT: Eveything was fixed and config packs was updated, use online installer (download it again, I updated them too!) to get fixed config packs
I've tried doing both, but it doesn't seem to work. Do I have to delete the level and start again from scratch?

(When editing the lvl_bgo.ini, I gave the backgorunds the exact same priority levels as foreground objects that I know show over the blocks).
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

ztarwuff wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:

I've tried doing both, but it doesn't seem to work. Do I have to delete the level and start again from scratch?

(When editing the lvl_bgo.ini, I gave the backgorunds the exact same priority levels as foreground objects that I know show over the blocks).
Look:
This is the standard Z-layers
(in the lvl_bgo.ini it's the view= field, z-offset is a relative offset to default z-layer)
I think, you got before installed from standalone installer but online installer usually installs into another folder, therefore fixed config packs would be in than directory [you also SHOULD select them to install to get them updating, online isntaller currently doesn't remember installed compnents and to update them you need check them to install again]

SMBX64 Sorting priority is not giving effects in the PGE, it's a hack especially for SMBX. to get force foreground of background BGO's. If you was saved file into LVL (or if into LVLX but you doesn't changed "z-Layer" and Z-Offset fields), the effects should appear after config pack reload and after file reload or on restart application with reopening.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Wohlstand wrote:*snip*
Oh, I see what I did wrong. I edited the wrong field. :lol: Thanks for the help, Wohlstand. It's greatly appreciated!
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

PGE Engine 0.0.7-pre-alpha long test
Here is a test of PGE Engine version 0.0.7-pre-alpha which took the ability to play world maps and episodes. Currently world maps renders without textures, but basic episode system is works.

Here was tested episodes:
The Invasion 2
Sarasaland Adventure by Otabo
Super Mario Magical Paintings (old DEMO 1.0) by Airship

About Box2D physics:
Here the character (blue rectangle) can float like Peach, can in some cases climb on the walls, and slides while stay on slopes, but when it jumps and hits diagonal celling, it would get speed-up of movement. Character can't staticalyl stay on slopes and will slite down. Box2D implements physics of real world and would be used to create games with progressive physics, etc. By anyway will be constructed new physical engine which will more similar to SMBX and will provide same physics which in the SMBX and also we can take full control with physics and will be possible to add any other physical things which impossible or too hard to do with Box2D case.

How to put episodes into PGE to get able play them?
It's simple and easy:
- If you downloaded PGE package as ZIP and unpacked into any folder, you can make "worlds" folder in the PGE folder like SMBX and you can put any levels into them should familiar to you if you has a skills with SMBX.
- If you installed PGE via installer, the "worlds" folder shoud be created in the "%UserProfile%\.PGE_Project" *.
* where %UserProfile% - is a system variable which contains path to your user profile folder which is writable without admin rights.

Note: If you have configured "SMBX Integration" config pack, PGE Engine will show all episodes from your SMBX!

Which controls?
Controls are like standard SMBX:
Arrow keys to walk and enter into warps
Z - jump
X - run faster
PGE specific keys:
T - toggle full screen mode
F3 - enable/disable debug information
i - disable/enable walkable zone limit on the world map (you will have able to walk anywhere)
F12 - take screenshot (will be saved in the screenshots folder which will be in PGE folder or in the %UserProfile%\.PGE_Project). Screenshots will be written into PNG format and will have timedate based filename.
More information in the Readme.txt of engine application.
Esc - Exit from level [you will return to world map], or exit from episode [if you on the world map or in the main hub level]
Enter - show dummy message box
Wohlstand

Good news for Mac OS X users!

Post by Wohlstand »

ImageImage
Hello! Today I have a good news for owners of Mac computers!
After some works and with help of my friend I finally got working Mac OS X built!
Image Get Editor 0.3.0-beta, Engine and Tools [Mac OS X, Intel x64] (dmg)
I think, it should work now, if it is NOT work, please report me!

Screenshots:
Editor:

Engine:
How to start usage:
1) Plug in dmg image
2) drag&drop folder "PGE Project" into "Applications" shortcut
3) Go to config packs page and get any config pack except "SMBX Integration" which for Windows builts to integrate with SMBX.
4) Find in the copied PGE Project folder the "configs" sub-folder, put downloaded zip file into it and unpack!
5) Everything should work!

You also can make "worlds" subfolder and put any your SMBX episodes to get stuff to test in the engine!
Wohlstand

New Update! (PGE 0.3.0)

Post by Wohlstand »

-> PGE 0.3.0
Updated version of editor and working experimental engine part to test your stuff and having more fun!
EDIT: Bugfix has been applied!

Changelog 0.3.0.1
Editor 0.3.0
- Fixed group collision random crash
- Fixed 'too large weight' crash
- Added update checking
- Better history manager
- Added support of user specific settings and logs
- Interprocess communication system is fixed for Linux and Windows systems!
- Fixed freezing on reading some NPC.txts with mistakes
- Added ability to save progress on file reload
- Added more soft parsing of NPC.txt files. Instead of rejecting, you will be warned about wrong values but file will be loaded!
- Added more smart reloading of files
- Added basic communication with LunaDLL to run test of current level in the opened SMBX Editor. This feature will work on Windows platform only. (LunaDLL with LUA v0.5.3-beta and higher is required in the SMBX)
- Added "force-portable" settings to keep using of application directory instad of ~/.PGE_Project folder if you was installed editor by installer
- Added crash autosave which will give chance to keep most of your progess even crash happened
- Added history manager limit to prevent memory overflow.
- Fixed a lots of bugs in the layers and events tool-boxes.
- Fixed blinking of toolboxes on startup.
- Added SoX autio converter GUI to provide quick and easy audio files fixing toolset.
- Added message box event creator for blocks context menu.
- Fixed bug of events toolbox when changing language.
- Added soft refusing of file saving into LVL/WLD on excite of the SMBX64 limits
- Added working file association for Linux
- Fixed crash on attempt to undo while resizing mode in process and when resizing was applied
- Added "Transform all Item-ID into" context menu feature which works like "swap blocks" in the SMBX.
- Fixed crash on wrong log path, added log rotation on each start-up of editor like made in the engine.
- If configuration package is failed, config status window will pop-up automatically
- Added testing of world maps!
- Added ability to install config pack into %UserProfile%\.PGE_Project, ~/.PGE_Project or ~/Library/Application Support/PGE Project folder
- Added "delete tileset" button to provide built-in removing of junk tilesets
- Fixed bug with music boxed placing undo history action
- Loading speed has increased
Minor updates after release (updated version since 11 may 2015 build date):
- Fixed musicbox history
- Fixed history of z-values
- Copy-pasting bugs has been fixed
- Added support of custom music on world map (WLDX files only!)
Screenshots
PGE Editor in action

PGE Engine v0.0.8 pre-alpha - Gameplay Footage

Experimental engine part in work (0.0.7-pre-alpha):

Note: If you looking up for engine controlling, read this text file. In next builds of engine I will add ability to set up custom control keys.

Online installer
Image Get updated Online Installer for Windows. Online installer will download and install all necessary stuff automatically!

Portable packages
Standalone archives are including Editor, Engine, Playable Character Sprite Calibrator, GIFs2PNG, PNG2GIFs and LazyFix Tool. To get PGE working you must download one of configuration packages here

Image Download PGE 0.3.0.1 for Win32

Image Download PGE 0.3.0.1 for Linux Mint/Ubuntu

Image Download PGE 0.3.0-beta2 for Mac OS X
(be careful, this build is older than current builds for Windows and Linux. It works fine, but contains small unfixed bugs, to fix them I need rebuild it, but temporary I can't make new Mac builds)

Image Download experimental Android built of PGE Editor 0.3.0.1
(Recommended usage on tablets. Sound and music is not works. Install config pack into /sdcard/PGE Project data/configs folder)

Source code
Image Download source code (zip)

Image Download source code (tar.gz)
Last edited by Wohlstand 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Duvi0
Artist, streamer, level designer, and more, for the low low price of a jar of peaches!

Re: PGE Project thread (Latest 0.3.0.1)

Post by Duvi0 »

Hi! Could someone provide me a tutorial on in-depth NPC editing, either through link or through post?
The reason is, I want to make a fighter fly attached to a volcano lotus the boss of a level, and I have a specific idea on how the player would beat it, but not only would I have to attach them to each other, but I'd need to give it 3 hits.
Thank you in advance!
Yo peeps! I'm Duvi. Wanna know more about what I'm like, look at my tumblr, http://duvi0.tumblr.com
talk to me on Skype (mossyduvi0) or Steam (duvi0), or watch my streams at http://twitch.tv/duvi0!
However, my description of myself goes like this: I'm a smart idiot who writes and designs well, but as jacks of all trades go, I can really do jack.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Small news
Just found problem with PGE Editor on Windows XP. Problem has been fixed, all downloads has been updated.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

PGE_Engine Version 0.0.10 pre-alpha playthrough by bossedit8 released yesterday:

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yc2dGCzrQM

The new built of engine is available in laboratory (updated 0.0.10.1 which have more features than 0.0.10)
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

...I think, Goombas are most dumb characters and has no algorithm!

Dummy NPC's at PGE Engine 0.0.11 which I will release soon after applying of a lots fixed in the lvl_npc.ini file, because I have lot wrong settings for NPC's which we will never see in the editor but will found in the engine only.