The second SMBX collab!
Wohlstand
Moondust and TheXTech developer
First name: Vitaly
Pronouns: he/him/his

New Update! (Editor 0.2.2-rc)

Post by Wohlstand »

-> PGE Editor 0.2.2-rc
In this version fixed a lots of bugs and imperfections. Now you can work in the PGE Editor More convenient!

Main post was updated and reorganized! Updated available on the main post!

P.S. Before I will finish the "QuickStart" guide paragraph, you can read more understandable info on the Wiki page!

Changelog 0.2.2
- Added "Ask every startup" flag into config manager
- Fixed window focus on switch into placing mode
- Fixed 'Trigger event' and 'Set moving layer' combo-boxes on switch into placing mode
- Fixed crash in protector for 'out of range' inside NPC animator
- Improved stars counter tool: now it counts accurate and everywhere
- Fixed "Add to new layer" not updated layer lists
- Added crash handlers which will display reason of editor crash
- Added basic interprocessing features
- Added smart custom data importing (when you drag&drop files or folders into the editing level file, they will be imported and level will restarted)
- Added flood filling tool
- Added able to use line tool for NPC's.
- Added auto-incrementing of special value (which a much useful for placing of, for example, firebars)
- Added "Don't show properties box" feature for placing mode
- Added position bookmarks. You can store current point into bookmark which give able to return back later
- Added internal tools
- All graphics issues prevented with implementing of alternate unmasking algorithm
- Easier way to fix lazily-made graphics added into [ Tools / Custom data / Fix wrong masks ]
- Added unused custom data removal tool into [ Tools / Custom data / Clear unused data ]
- Added Section modification features: Clone, Delete, Rotate left/right, Flip horizontal/vertical
- Added more edit actions: align selected, flip horizontal/vertical, rotate left/right
- Added basic scripts generation feature
- Organized structure of source code which making code more understandable, flexible and faster
- Added layar movement speed calculator which will help you calculate speed in blocks per seconds.
- More accurate SMBX file formats support: Now PGE can parse SMBX files of ANY version (from 0 to 64)
- Added saving of SMBX LVL and WLD formats with selecting of file format version (useful to edit old episodes which made by old SMBX'es with saving of compatibility with them)
- Added reading of SAV files which show game save statistics in the editor.
- Better resizer boxes, now they are movable and more flexible, added context menu to cut size by any side.
- Added custom counters which giving able to count any specific item ID's.
- Fixed placement of NPC's to the slopes
- Added animated splash screens system into the editor
- Fixed layers and event slots reset bug in the item properties dialog
Screenshots 0.2.2

Wohlstand

Re: Alternate Editor for SMBX

Post by Wohlstand »

Update of config packs

All config packs was updated:
  • Fixed wrong offset of SMW Goal Tape bug in all config packs
  • All .MP3 musics was replaced with .OGG stuff which giving less size with high quality.
When I replaced all my HQ MP3 musics with compressed OGG quality 3/10, I got almost same quality, but much less size!

Reduced sizes of FULL config packs after replacement of MP3's with OGG's:
  • SMBX 1.3 reduced from 246 -> 95 MB
  • SM Redrawn reduced from 254 -> 98 MB
  • raocow's Talkhaus (A2MBXT) reduced from 198 -> 172 MB
* because it is update of global stuff, you will need to download "FULL" versions of config packs.

You can get new updates of config packs here:
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/config_packs.php
or here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3QNP ... authuser=0

* All updates already available if you will use "PGE Online Installer/Downloader"
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Support for music loops with traker music formats!
Hello! I just fixed little flag inside SDL2_mixer library:
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... ed81b0fc8c

With it enabling a build-in support of loop points! (like original SPC, VGM, NSF formats!)
My little and dummy example:
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/Music/mafia.zip
- play MID file in your regular player
- replace your SDL2_mixer in the LunaDLL package or in the PGE Editor (this update will be already in the next laboratory builds)
- try to use included "mafia.it" file which a looped music. I especially lopped tiny piece in begin to make a more understandable demo.

You also can open and make those musics with ModPlug Tracker: http://www.modplug.com/

To set loop points, use the "Position jump" effect to jump into another pattern and together with it use the "Pattern break" to set row in the second pattern.

http://modarchive.org/ - here is a big archive of a traker musics for your entertainment!

Enjoy! ;-)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I was wondering... is it possible to have a resource randomnizer feature? That is, instead of replacing a default graphic or sound X with graphic or sound Y, it picks randomly a pool of resources in a folder. It's to allow how a game can have more than one possible sound output at an action or event.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

ano0maly wrote:I was wondering... is it possible to have a resource randomnizer feature? That is, instead of replacing a default graphic or sound X with graphic or sound Y, it picks randomly a pool of resources in a folder. It's to allow how a game can have more than one possible sound output at an action or event.
I think, yes ;-)
and it'd simple:
1) get list of file names (by list in the INI-file or everything in target folder)
2) check and leave in list valid only
3) each request of than file (sound or picture), dynamically return data of one of file
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Is it possible to change the render order of blocks? I have a set of moving blocks, and want to make sure they always go underneath another set of blocks. Is there a way to do that? At the moment they sometimes go above and sometimes below.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Hoeloe wrote:Is it possible to change the render order of blocks? I have a set of moving blocks, and want to make sure they always go underneath another set of blocks. Is there a way to do that? At the moment they sometimes go above and sometimes below.
No yet, also SMBX format restriction: all blocks should be sorted by x->y, or npc's will fall down. LVLX doesn't sort blocks (lvlx have blocks ordered by placement order without sorting of arrays) and you will have able to change their z-order like bgo's (I implemented the z-offset and z-layet values which giving able to set any z-order to bgo's, but for lvlx only.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Wohlstand wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:Is it possible to change the render order of blocks? I have a set of moving blocks, and want to make sure they always go underneath another set of blocks. Is there a way to do that? At the moment they sometimes go above and sometimes below.
No yet, also SMBX format restriction: all blocks should be sorted by x->y, or npc's will fall down. LVLX doesn't sort blocks (lvlx have blocks ordered by placement order without sorting of arrays) and you will have able to change their z-order like bgo's (I implemented the z-offset and z-layet values which giving able to set any z-order to bgo's, but for lvlx only.
That's reasonable, but what about NPC sort order? I have a setup where multiple NPCs are put together to make one enemy, but they need to be drawn in the right order for this to work. I can work one out by setting it to draw to the foreground, but that doesn't work for everything.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Hoeloe wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:
That's reasonable, but what about NPC sort order? I have a setup where multiple NPCs are put together to make one enemy, but they need to be drawn in the right order for this to work. I can work one out by setting it to draw to the foreground, but that doesn't work for everything.
NPC's, Water zones, warp points aren't sorting, so, I can implement the Z-layer and Z-offset values which can be converted as sorting key for SMBX format, but will still as Z-offset+Z-Layer in LVLX format. By anyway Z-order redefinition for blocks and for NPC's are planned. Also planned usage of Z-order change in the PGE Engine which you can use with LUA scripts, for example, some character appears from bush: jump up while under bush and when fall down, display over bush.
What about layers and events: everybody can redefine order of layers and events by simple drag and drop entries in list which wasn't supported in the SMBX editor, but available technically which implemented in the PGE
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Run native SMBX test from PGE Editor DIRECTLY
This is a small, but useful feature which giving able to run test in the running SMBX directly by alone click!

Requirements: How to use:
1) Run both PGE Editor and SMBX (LunaLUA 0.5.3 should be installed!) (both applications should be running)
2) Leave SMBX Editor in default empty state and minimize it.
3) Switch to PGE Editor and open any level with it
4) Open in the PGE Editor a Test -> Run testing in the SMBX menuitem. Editor will be minimized and focus will be switched to SMBX Editor and testing will be launched.
Enjoy ;-)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

hahaha, wow. one day the actual smbx editor will be fully replaced
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

raocow wrote:hahaha, wow. one day the actual smbx editor will be fully replaced
...later engine will be replaced too ;)

Experiment with switches in the PGE Engine (0.0.6 pre-alpha)

Note: If you wish to take laboratory build to test them, don't forget main rule: you SHOULD update configuration packs too, because I was updated them with adding of switches settings for blocks.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

World maps that have been created with this editor don't seem to work with the smbx. They cause error 9, subscript out of range and don't display correctly on the world selection screen.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Willhart wrote:World maps that have been created with this editor don't seem to work with the smbx. They cause error 9, subscript out of range and don't display correctly on the world selection screen.
Ow, crap! (just tested creation of dummy world from scratch and SMBX got too much bugs when I try to play it)
I will check what happened and will fix it now

EDIT: Mistake is dumb:
It's a wrong CRLF writing:
To perfectly works with LVL format (I made manual writing of CRLF because when you save files on Linux, it uses LF which SMBX doesn't understand, it understand CRLF only).
But with WLD appears than dumb bytes which I will fix now
Fix is simple: I should replace the "file.open(QFile::WriteOnly | QFile::Text)" with "file.open(QFile::WriteOnly)".

EDIT2: Fixed ;-)
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... 96ff2474d9
Wait for next laboratory upload (after 24 minutes of full rebuild. Just in case I do full rebuild to prevent any junks in changed headers which causing dumb crashes, but those crashes are fixing with full rebuild).

EDIT3: Done, take fixed build from laboratory ;-)
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_laboratory/
Last edited by Wohlstand 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I have a suggestion for the editor. A useful idea for navigating a level would be to add a modifier key that as long as you're holding it clicking and dragging moves your view but it switches back to the previous tool when you let go of it. I suggest space since that's how Photoshop handles navigating a document and it's pretty simple and easy to remember that way.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Alice wrote:I have a suggestion for the editor. A useful idea for navigating a level would be to add a modifier key that as long as you're holding it clicking and dragging moves your view but it switches back to the previous tool when you let go of it. I suggest space since that's how Photoshop handles navigating a document and it's pretty simple and easy to remember that way.
Do you mean the "Hand drag mode" while key holden? (Now it is a separated tool which you can switch by toolbar, by middle mouse key but with no selected items, but to switch back you need to use "S" key to switch into selection mode, W to select-only mode, E to erasing mode). I think, is a good suggestion ;-)
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Wohlstand wrote:Do you mean the "Hand drag mode" while key holden? (Now it is a separated tool which you can switch by toolbar, by middle mouse key but with no selected items, but to switch back you need to use "S" key to switch into selection mode, W to select-only mode, E to erasing mode). I think, is a good suggestion ;-)
Yup, that's exactly what I mean. Using W/S/E to switch between tools does work, I just thought it would be a lot more convenient for many people this way.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Experimental Audio converting GUI over SoX console converter

This is a special feature which integrates SoX with PGE Editor: you will have ability to convert broken musics in three clicks:
- [ Tools -> External Tools -> Convert Audio ]
- Choice in the opened dialog a conversion settings (or simply press "Start" to re-sample music file of the current section)
- When you finished configuring of converter, press "Start" to begin conversion, and wait while process is going.
- When conversion will started, music will be paused, but when it will be finished, music will start playback again.

This feature available in the laboratory (and also SoX package)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Oh hey here's this thread. I noticed a thing.

Mushroom Platform is misspelled.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

pholtos wrote:Oh hey here's this thread. I noticed a thing.

Mushroom Platform is misspelled.
Oops :P
Take fixed file: http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_files_fo ... blocks.ini
(replace lvl_block.ini in each config pack to get fix of than typos. By anyway you can edit them yourself)
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

I've been working on Metroidvania game using the SMBX engine, because I thought it might be possible. Anyway, cutting to the chase:

The game relies on SMW Leeks/Stars disappearing from the game permanently after you've collected them. It also relies on being able to set warps to any part of a level. So here's the problem with illustrations:

Warp 5 in Hub.lvl is set to transport the player to Warp 1 of Stage1.lvl.

Warp 2 in Stage1.Lvl is set to transport the player to Warp 6 of Hub.lvl.

So, the idea is that the player warps out of Hub.Lvl and into Stage1.Lvl. Every now and then, the player has to return to Hub.lvl in order to save. unfortunately, when the player warps back into Hub.lvl, the leek that was supposed to have been collected has respawned, thus allowing the player to collect it a second time. The leek counter goes up by one, despite the fact that it's the same leek.

This only happens if I set the warps using PGE. If I use the SMBX editor, it doesn't appear to happen.

Ignore the unnecessary level file name in the level entrances. I've tried it with and without. That's not the problem. The problem is that for some reason, when I set the warps in PGE, the leeks respawn when the player warps back into the level.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

ztarwuff, I just tested this thing: I made the dummy episode with hub level and with takable leeks (SMW Star based)

http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_files_fo ... pisode.zip
By anyway everything is works.

I tested two styles of warp entrance/exit combinations:
- Put alone "entrance" point with "exit" flag and with definition of target level (same point will work as entrance and exit to than level)
- Put twine warps which you was presented

Both methods are works. (I made the video test of than thing.)

I used my latest build of PGE to make this dummy episode. New laboratory build has a much bug fixes to compare with previous builds and works more stable.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Wohlstand wrote:ztarwuff, I just tested this thing: I made the dummy episode with hub level and with takable leeks (SMW Star based)

http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_files_fo ... pisode.zip
By anyway everything is works.

I tested two styles of warp entrance/exit combinations:
- Put alone "entrance" point with "exit" flag and with definition of target level (same point will work as entrance and exit to than level)
- Put twine warps which you was presented

Both methods are works. (I made the video test of than thing.)

I used my latest build of PGE to make this dummy episode. New laboratory build has a much bug fixes to compare with previous builds and works more stable.
Out of interest, what's your definition of latest build?
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

ztarwuff wrote:Out of interest, what's your definition of latest build?
I mean the build which available in the "laboratory" http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_laboratory/ (Online installer takes installation from laboratory directly!) When I making some features, I always uploads the new build into them.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Well, that's odd, because I used that exact same installer to download what I thought was the latest version. I did that on the 6th March.

If I use it again, do I need to delete the old PGE or does the installer write over the old one?