Welcome to the PGE project!
- Technical details
- Development plan
- Researching the original SMBX fangame
- Download Editor and experimental Engine!
This is a major revision to this topic's main post to announce my project called "Platformer Game Engine Project" (short is PGE Project),
the code-name being "PlatGenWohl".
So what exactly is this? this is a free and open source alternate, advanced and exchanged implementation of SMBX's game engine which 100% compatible with them. The main parts of it contain would be a game engine and a tool-kit for creating games.
I've been working on this project since at least December 2013, and after lots of hours spent in researching of SMBX 1.3 mechanics, I've figured out a way to retain compatibility with SMBX. This in my opinion, is very significant as there are a lot of episodes and levels made for SMBX out there. And having a better implementation of that we can open/play/save in the original SMBX64 format is very much in need.
Currently only the editor is available. And you can actually already use this as an alternative (and much better) editor for creating/editing levels for SMBX 1.3/18.104.22.168
While it would have been ideal if the source code for SMBX was available, we're working on adding support for SMBX via reverse engineering instead.
2) [released] Developing the the level/world editor - Periodically I upload updated alpha versions for everyone to test new features and give feedback or report bugs.
3) [In process] Developing the engine part for play games and allow test levels in the editor.
"SMBX64" Standard: research works of the original SMBX fangame
All the documents on what I've researched, are available on this page
This is a new, more advanced and featured editor which you can use for SMBX. This editor giving more flexible interface, more smart system with bug protections, with Multi-File support, with customizable tilesets and counters, with multi-selecting, copy-pasting, context menu, exporting of huge screenshots of whole sections or world maps, etc...
Get current version:
Note: If you looking up for engine controlling, read this text file. In next builds of engine I will add ability to set up custom control keys.
Get Online Installer for Windows. Online installer will download and install all necessary stuff automatically!
Standalone archives are including Editor, Engine, Playable Character Sprite Calibrator, GIFs2PNG, PNG2GIFs and LazyFix Tool. To get PGE working you must download one of configuration packages here
Download PGE for Win32
Download PGE for Linux Mint/Ubuntu
Download PGE for Mac OS X
Download experimental Android built of PGE Editor 0.3.0.1
(Recommended usage on tablets. Sound and music is not works. Install config pack into /sdcard/PGE Project data/configs folder)
READ THIS. Important info about PGE Engine
Note about regular keys:
JUMP Regular jumping, always use it instead of alt-jump because "alt-jump" is NOT works right
ALT-JUMP temporary is an unlimited flying up! Use it to get unbeatable heights!
ALT-RUN temporary is a cheating weapon to destroy anybody arroud your characher
More detail list of controlls:
left-right - walk
Up/Down - enter into door/pipe
Z - (jump) / enter to level from world map [on German keyboard will work Y key instead by unknown for me reasons ]
X - (run)
A - (alt-jump) (Temporary, fly up, use it to get inaccessible heights without vines!)
S - (alt-run) (Temporary, tail-whipping to destroy any blocks over face,
S+UP - destroy blocks over head,
S+Down - destroy blocks under self)
Engine reserved keys and key combinations
Ctrl+F - Toggle fullscreen mode
F2 - enable/disable drawing a debug rectangles of physical engine (render all hitboxes)
F3 - enable/disable printing of debug information
F5 - pause/resume physical loopsteps. Used while collisions are debugged
F6 - enable slow mode of physical loopsteps. Everything will go slow. Used while collisions are debugged.
F12 - take screenshot (will be saved in the 'screenshots' folder which will be in PGE folder or in the %UserProfile%\.PGE_Project).
Screenshots will be written into PNG format and will have timedate based filename.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 degits keys - spawn something effect (made temporary while effects system are debugged)
7, 8, 9, 0 - toggle character and it's state: 7 - Small Peach, 8 - Raccoon Peach, 9 - Small Mario, 0 - Raccoon Mario
i - disable/enable walkable zone limit on the world map (you will have able to walk anywhere)
Enter, Esc - pause/resume game, show pause menu
Download source code (zip)
Download source code (tar.gz)
How to build project for Linux, Windows, Mac OS X
Also you can get more configuration packages here:
How to install configuration package into the editor
- Open the editor's application folder
- Open the configs folder. If it is not exist, create them!
- Open downloaded archive with config pack and extract contents into configs directory, you must have config subdirectory with installed config pack.
If you looking for most fresh DEV-builds, welcome to laboratory:
Wohlstand's Laboratory (Grab the very latest experimental builds for Windows and Linux here)
Don't forget, PlatGEnWohl - is a codename of project, and need to get end name for release of project
Names for this project's end release topic
If you have problems with graphics render, please, see this topic first:
...or write (post here, on our forum, or PM to me) to me about found bugs, this is most important
If you have troubles with music playback, please, read this:
2) If some MP3 files don't wanna play, please, check playable by your player, have you all necessary codecs?
If you haven't some codecs, please, install them (for Windows systems I recommend the K-Lite Mega pack, or you can install other).
- Will be better, if you reconvert your MP3 files with poor codecs to standard MP3-format (MPEG Layer III, 320 Mbps Voice Quality, [don't use 128 Mbps, don't kill audio quality!])
- you also can reconvert to WAV. WAV will be played by ANY players (Only if uncompressed format. If did applied codec, need to install them!).
3) [For PGE Editor 0.2.0 and newer] If music playing is noisy and buggy, please check sample rate of this file (should be 44100 Hz), because all musics to be played in the united audio stream should be re-sampled into uniform sample rate, if sample rate is not same, music will be re-sampled in real time mode. Real-time re-sampling is not good for CPU and can cause noises or wrong playback. Re-sample your music into 44100 Hz and retry to add them into PGE.
Watch current Source:
(Using Qt 5.5, min >=Qt 5.2.1), Can by compile under Windows (MinGW), Linux (GNU Compiler) and MacOS
How to build
How to build project for Linux, Windows, Mac OS X
If the project was pleasant, I invite you to support my project or to join it!
Our project community