(shouting)

A Second Mario Bros X Thing: analog funk V1.3

The second SMBX collab!
tigermoon
Location: Is crazy a location? If so, I've been here for ages. :3

Re: A Second Mario Bros X Thing: analog funk V1.0

Post by tigermoon »

Bit of an odd question pertaining to the postgame town's raolock holmes...
The rest have a single letter, but he has !01 as a message. I kinda already know the message he's saying, but what's the point of the 01? Was that a bug?
WARNING: User is known for stupid ideas. Listen at your own risk.
... I prefer the one where you compare yourself to gremlins...
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

...Checking the screenshot I took of the credits randomly, subtracting out the two demos I got from non A2MBXT stuff (I think, I'm waiting on when Kil is able to release the thing that lets you get a printout of all demos to check), I had exactly 750 demos at the end of the main game. Well then.
docopoper wrote:
Validon98 wrote:Let's just say I'm not the best at Mario platformers.
I think the fact that you beat the game at all means you're pretty good.

Good luck on the first level of the postgame. That's my level and is probably the hardest in the game. :P
Thank you, then. Although I suppose I should also 100% ASMBXT while I'm at it to earn that praise moreso.
Also I kind of figured when I stepped into the beginning and

yay ice physics

Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Mochtroidprime

Post by Mochtroidprime »

docopoper wrote:
Validon98 wrote:Let's just say I'm not the best at Mario platformers.
I think the fact that you beat the game at all means you're pretty good.

Good luck on the first level of the postgame. That's my level and is probably the hardest in the game. :P
Ahh... so YOU are the one responsible for this.
Well, I'll let you know that it's not THAT hard. It seems daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's very straight forward and just requires patience.

That being said...
I can't get the secret exit because of one. Jump.
This one. Can someone PLEASE explain how I'm supposed to do this? I've tried jumping on the red goopa, I've tried using the momentum of the moving wood platform to jump over the land mass, I've tried run jumping from the question block. I can't do it, I ALWAYS clip the right corner of the piece of ground.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Mochtroidprime wrote:
Well, I'll let you know that it's not THAT hard. It seems daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's very straight forward and just requires patience.

That being said...
This one. Can someone PLEASE explain how I'm supposed to do this? I've tried jumping on the red goopa, I've tried using the momentum of the moving wood platform to jump over the land mass, I've tried run jumping from the question block. I can't do it, I ALWAYS clip the right corner of the piece of ground.
That's not a background object right there. What is that? The solution?
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Mochtroidprime

Post by Mochtroidprime »

docopoper wrote:
Mochtroidprime wrote:

That being said...
That's not a background object right there. What is that? The solution?
I should have suspected that. Fortunately, shortly after asking for help I managed to Goopa-Jump my way over the platform.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong

Post by Validon98 »

I was going to say

remember the library hint.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

arfman

Post by arfman »

I dont know if it changes much but ... The German has no grammer xD

Meine Freundinnen und ich haben begonnen gegen das heilige Reich zu kämpfen und ich wollte sie vor dieser Dummheit bewahren.

Doch plötzlich ist etwas geschehen und bevor ich mich versah, war ich in einer fremden Waldstadt!
Und was das Schlimmste ist, ich kann kein Wort, dass ich lese oder höre verstehen.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof!

Ach, wenn ich nur jemanden treffen würde, der Deutsch kann.
Dann wäre ich......

Ah guten Tag, sie sind ein netter Mensch, würden Sie mir bitte helfen ?
Können Sie mir bitte sagen, wo der nächste (Magi-Eingang) ist ?

Ohh, tut mir leid!
Ich habe nicht gewusst, dass Sie ihrem eigenen Abenteuer nachgehen.
Na gut viel Glück!
Auf Wiedersehen!

Last sentence is right :D

to late to change it :D

greetings from Germany :D
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.

Post by docopoper »

Ahh, I hear German people tend to be pretty lax about their grammar anyway.

German really does have the nicest grammar though from having done a bit in school.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong

Post by Validon98 »

...Oh my god docopoper are you kidding me where the hell

is the key

. I made it to the end and there's no... goddamnit! *redoes the freaking second half of the level despite having made it there on his 95th attempt at the secret exit*

EDIT: ...Okay, so final demo count is 99. 3 of those were attempting the normal exit, 45 of those were attempting the first half of the level, and 51 of those were spent attempting the second half. So I cleared the secret exit on essentially my 101st run through the level. Holy shit aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

SECOND EDIT:

In response to Serac, yes, I am dead yet, thanks for forcing me to practice my dying, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Validon98 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Validon98 wrote:So I cleared the secret exit on essentially my 101st run through the level. Holy shit aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Sounds about right. It was the same for most testers (including me).
docopoper

Post by docopoper »

Haha. xD
I find it funny that despite the player presumably reading the sign that mentions the key at the end of their normal run they never think about it until it's too late. Even funnier from watching people do it is that they won't think about the fact that they can spend their wasted run on walking around normally to find the key. Instead almost everybody just killed themselves when they couldn't find it. xD

I'm not sure if you did that but it's been very funny seeing people do that so far. Having said that though, the key wasn't even supposed to be that challenging and I assumed mistakenly that people would find it because of the coin on their normal run.
The average of 100 demos to complete the level continues!

If it's any consolation; I managed to complete a no midpoint run of it. So I know the average player's pain. xD I think I have over 600 demos on the level from testing. And that's not counting the fact that most of the time I quit the game without killing myself because you can do that in the editor.

BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

i've been looking into this runtime error for days and it looks like there's seemingly no possible way to fix it because nobody knows what it even is??

so i guess i'll just never get to play this game
kinda sucks
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong

Post by Validon98 »

Eh, I was a little frustrated by that little snag at the end

although I had figured where the key was immediately afterwards, I just had to rerun the second half to get it

, but I honestly think the level is really fun to try. Definitely moreso than

The Action of Syo and Bon

, which I might not have died as much to, but was infinitely less fun.

Mochtroidprime

Post by Mochtroidprime »

So uh.. I'm done with the whole post game world, and I went and did the door in the Castle of No Significance that requires all 91 leeks... but the title screen says I only have 97%... is that normal?
tigermoon
Location: Is crazy a location? If so, I've been here for ages. :3

Post by tigermoon »

Even after getting an exit I apparently missed, I was still at 97. SMBX has an odd quirk that not all games actually give 100 when you've beaten everything.

Of course, we could both be missing something glaringly obvious. :lol:
WARNING: User is known for stupid ideas. Listen at your own risk.
... I prefer the one where you compare yourself to gremlins...
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong

Post by Validon98 »

I checked the world map file, and it has the total number of leeks set to 93. Although, if I remember correctly, doesn't

the relay level

have two leeks?

arfman

Post by arfman »

docopoper wrote:Ahh, I hear German people tend to be pretty lax about their grammar anyway.

German really does have the nicest grammar though from having done a bit in school.
Hey you want to make a good game for everyone :D

so language right could be, nice man .... its important not in which you do the talk,
you right talk have to do because its the mainstation that is the real reason ....

no idea what i mean :D just wanted to be the german guy that complains :D
(stereo) :D
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong

Post by Validon98 »

One thing about Retroville:
At the midpoint area where there are the four switches you'll have to repress if you just did the Frogger area, you can press the orange switch yet still get pushed to the left if you are facing right, making it so you don't have to trigger the orange switch during the Arkanoid section. I'll admit this is how I beat the level because that section is kind of crazy, but that might be something simple to fix... if you want to even fix it, that is.

docopoper

Post by docopoper »

I guess nobody that knew German actually read the text during beta testing. It think most of us just looked at it, laughed and assumed it was right.

Mochtroidprime

Post by Mochtroidprime »

Validon98 wrote:I checked the world map file, and it has the total number of leeks set to 93. Although, if I remember correctly, doesn't

the relay level

have two leeks?

It does, and I did get both of them.

Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

docopoper wrote:I guess nobody that knew German actually read the text during beta testing. It think most of us just looked at it, laughed and assumed it was right.
Yeah, pretty much. If I ever put in more German text in a future level, I should remember to PM a German speaker like Arfman or Slit08 so that I know I won't have a mess like this again.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong

Post by Validon98 »

Oh man, whoever playtested Unseen and Mysterious Future did an excellent job. Nevermind how the desert and guided platform sections are effectively impossible without some sort of level 2 powerup, or how just clusterfucky nearly any section can get. The only fairly designed section in the entire line-up I think is the castle one in the second half. Otherwise, this is just... what IS THIS? I may have died way more so far on The Floor Is Lava!, but I had FUN during that level. I am not having fun in the SLIGHTEST with the whole "hey if you prepared for this particular section, WELL TOO BAD, WE'RE GOING TO RNG UP ONE YOU DON'T LIKE," and it happens every single fucking time. This level ranks with Moosh's ghost house level in World 7 as one of the least fun levels in the entire game, hands down.

I'm sorry for the rant but this level has just about pissed me off, and I get to restart it from the beginning because I game overed partway through because I forgot to farm for lives. Well excuse me for not thinking I'd need more than like 40 lives to do this.

Mochtroidprime

Post by Mochtroidprime »

Validon98 wrote:Oh man, whoever playtested Unseen and Mysterious Future did an excellent job. Nevermind how the desert and guided platform sections are effectively impossible without some sort of level 2 powerup, or how just clusterfucky nearly any section can get. The only fairly designed section in the entire line-up I think is the castle one in the second half. Otherwise, this is just... what IS THIS? I may have died way more so far on The Floor Is Lava!, but I had FUN during that level. I am not having fun in the SLIGHTEST with the whole "hey if you prepared for this particular section, WELL TOO BAD, WE'RE GOING TO RNG UP ONE YOU DON'T LIKE," and it happens every single fucking time. This level ranks with Moosh's ghost house level in World 7 as one of the least fun levels in the entire game, hands down.

I'm sorry for the rant but this level has just about pissed me off, and I get to restart it from the beginning because I game overed partway through because I forgot to farm for lives. Well excuse me for not thinking I'd need more than like 40 lives to do this.
Is that the level with the temples? And the skeleton man is like "They will lead you to different places" or something?

I literally beat both parts in one run so I never saw if they were actually randomized.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Validon let me tell you a little story. There are exactly four levels that I thought were a tad cross-the-line unfair in my beta testing playthrough:

Super Happy Bonus Bonanza - The Secret Leek ({Getting there is annoying enough and then once you get there you have to do some fancy shenanigans.)
Blue Surfer - Impossible with lag, would have to disable sound
The Floor is Lava - Secret almost impossible with lag
Unseen and Mysterious Future - Hoo boy this level, I consider it crossing the line and even talked about it in my beta test. I can tell you I had pretty much the same thought you did. I was only able to really beat one section in the first and one section in the second half. Almost every other section felt fairly impossible.

Last edited by pholtos 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong

Post by Validon98 »

Mochtroidprime wrote:
Is that the level with the temples? And the skeleton man is like "They will lead you to different places" or something?

I literally beat both parts in one run so I never saw if they were actually randomized.
Oh yeah, it's randomized, with three possible sections in each half. More or less most of them are impossible for normal human beings. I managed to beat the guided platform section with Fire Demo, and the desert section by rushing it and being really lucky. I haven't beaten the second half yet, but I find the castle section the most fair, the rest being really bullshit or essentially requiring you to keep hits at particular sections (I'm looking at you, lava section with the falling goopas).

@pholtos: And... no one did anything about it? Huh. Well, I guess that's Jolpegammler for you, making levels that pretty much only he can beat while everyone else suffers. Although to be fair, I kind of liked Action.rar, as annoying as that was to beat.

Also, 73 demos and counting. Made it to the second half again at least but seriously...

EDIT: 109 demos and counting. It's surpassed The Floor Is Lava! If it gets to the point where I'm below ten lives, I am just going to use god mode. This... this is insane. This is beyond impossible and it deserves no place in this game without modification in some form. And just to check, the god mode code is still

strategyyo

, right?

FINAL EDIT: Final count: 117 demos, done fucking legit.