Episode 1 Release Candidate

The second SMBX collab!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Episode 1 Release Candidate

Post by SAJewers »

Axon wrote:
SAJewers wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/download/wf6nw ... _Update.7z

Let's see if this fixes Johnson McCain. the CutsceneLoad event now runs on a loop via LunaDLL. Can someone see if this indeed works, and then propagate this to the other 8 castle levels?
This works if you haven't already obtained the leek. If you already have the leek, nothing happens, until the game crashes with a "Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range"

If all you want to do is to force the player to get the leek, you could do something like this:
where the warp is an instant warp.

Also please tell me when you have updated the swimming sound so I can download the base game again.
Yeah, that could work.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I agree that it is way too late for a graphics overhaul.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

The music in Curtain Tortoise isn't working for me. Is it working for other people? (the right side of world 7 btw)
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

docopoper wrote:The music in Curtain Tortoise isn't working for me. Is it working for other people? (the right side of world 7 btw)
It worked for me. I recall the level's creator mentioned earlier in the thread it wasn't working for him, but I thought that got fixed. Do you have all the updates? Also, does the music in Spin! Pierce the Heavens! work for you? (Both levels use the same track.)
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.

Post by docopoper »

Voltgloss wrote:It worked for me. I recall the level's creator mentioned earlier in the thread it wasn't working for him, but I thought that got fixed. Do you have all the updates? Also, does the music in Spin! Pierce the Heavens! work for you? (Both levels use the same track.)
Ahh, no - I don't have all the updates. I just didn't find it in the bugs list so I assumed it hadn't been fixed.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The only thing on the list left to fix is the Johnson McCain's leek checker loading screen.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

However the Johnson McCain leek checker gets fixed, I suggest those changes not be propagated to the other castles UNLESS the same problem (player can miss the leek by moving around) exists at them. (So far, it seems that the issues in Johnson McCain appear to be unique to that level - stemming from the level's use of layers.) If we propagate those changes across all of the levels we risk creating new additional issues in places where they may be no problem to fix in the first place.

I can go through the other castles' loading screens this evening to test whether their leeks are "missable."
docopoper

Post by docopoper »

I could also fix the whole layer misalignment thing on The Floor is Lava but ahh I just don't feel like doing that right now since it involves me putting invisible objects in the level and editing the dll to constantly check their position to see if the layers have become misaligned.

I also have no idea how to replicate the bug intentionally.
Last edited by docopoper 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Adding a vertical row of blocks above the leek should have been enough to fix the problem with the loading screen, since the player is turned large at the start of that section.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Besides, your level is one of the most visually impressive in the game. Everything about it goes together really well. Don't change it and ruin that on account of people who take themselves way more seriously than they should.
You know, I was trying to be civil about it from the get go, but I knew you of all people would butt in and have to loudly express your opinion as usual. Perhaps get off of your high horse and realize that not everyone agrees with your philosophies. Thanks.

Sturg: it's only one tileset and I don't think anyone who worked on SMWCP2 will mind if you kept them, especially since the level is already done. Thanks for the courtesy though, but it's not your fault - you had no way of knowing.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

8flight: We've had problems with mediafire corrupting level files that are simply uploaded as a .lvl without being packed or zipped. Can you reupload as a zipped file of some type?
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Voltgloss wrote:However the Johnson McCain leek checker gets fixed, I suggest those changes not be propagated to the other castles UNLESS the same problem (player can miss the leek by moving around) exists at them. (So far, it seems that the issues in Johnson McCain appear to be unique to that level - stemming from the level's use of layers.) If we propagate those changes across all of the levels we risk creating new additional issues in places where they may be no problem to fix in the first place.

I can go through the other castles' loading screens this evening to test whether their leeks are "missable."
I think I see the problem with Johnson McCain. There's no warp for you to enter if you collected the leek. Am I right in saying it works right now if you haven't collected the leek?
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

You know, I designed MAKL Vanilla to be a level that used default graphics and default music only, I was even contemplating not using any LunaDLL whatsoever but I didn't want to take any chances with people sneaking in other characters.

So, uh, I am kinda concerned that someone's put a custom graphic into the level (I didn't mind the bush, because I didn't think anybody would notice). Would somebody mind sneaking in a line lampshading how the Charging Chuck's very presence in the level has rendered the level distinctly non-vanilla?
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

SAJewers wrote:I think I see the problem with Johnson McCain. There's no warp for you to enter if you collected the leek. Am I right in saying it works right now if you haven't collected the leek?
That's what Axon reported, yes. I haven't tested it yet myself. Will give it a whirl tonight.
ztarwuff wrote:Would somebody mind sneaking in a line lampshading how the Charging Chuck's very presence in the level has rendered the level distinctly non-vanilla?
I have an idea how to handle this. I'll work on an update tonight.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

S.N.N. wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:Besides, your level is one of the most visually impressive in the game. Everything about it goes together really well. Don't change it and ruin that on account of people who take themselves way more seriously than they should.
You know, I was trying to be civil about it from the get go, but I knew you of all people would butt in and have to loudly express your opinion as usual. Perhaps get off of your high horse and realize that not everyone agrees with your philosophies. Thanks.

Sturg: it's only one tileset and I don't think anyone who worked on SMWCP2 will mind if you kept them, especially since the level is already done. Thanks for the courtesy though, but it's not your fault - you had no way of knowing.
Firstly, you're the one who butted in to a thread for a game you have nothing to do with to ask why people "would go out of their way to rip custom graphics from a still-incomplete hack" as if it was done out of spite rather than just taking what looked good. If you hadn't said that, it would have come across as genuinely being "out of curiosity" and "civil from the get go".

Secondly, do you see the hypocrisy in saying I'm on a high horse for holding philosophies different to yours?

Thirdly, if no-one minds if they're used, why bring it up in the first place?
docopoper wrote:
Voltgloss wrote:It worked for me. I recall the level's creator mentioned earlier in the thread it wasn't working for him, but I thought that got fixed. Do you have all the updates? Also, does the music in Spin! Pierce the Heavens! work for you? (Both levels use the same track.)
Ahh, no - I don't have all the updates. I just didn't find it in the bugs list so I assumed it hadn't been fixed.
Just checked on my end at Curtain Tortoise's music plays for me. It's CBR so it should be universally fine.

Also, I've noticed that the world-switching sound plays if you jump near the world selector blocks as well as into them. Is that the result of unavoidable imprecision with the LunaDLL coding or can it be tightened up? Or is it that my sides are touching the block and that's sufficient to trigger it?
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Firstly, you're the one who butted in to a thread for a game you have nothing to do with
So if people haven't bent over backwards for A2XT, they're not allowed to say anything about it? On top of that, you're also wrong - I've made music for the game and worked on a level for it (which didn't actually get in due to being unfinished, but the point is that I -did- have something to do with the game).
Doctor Shemp wrote:Secondly, do you see the hypocrisy in saying I'm on a high horse for holding philosophies different to yours?
No, because I'm asking a question and you're saying "fuck em" and "they're taking themselves way more seriously than they should". I asked how many tilesets from SMWCP2 were ripped, and whether I said "why would people rip them from a still-incomplete hack" or not, the question stands. For the record, I asked because I wanted to know how many sets we would have to redraw. Not once did I tell anyone to remove anything from the game (and you can even ask SAJewers on this, since I PM'ed him first).
Doctor Shemp wrote:Thirdly, if no-one minds if they're used, why bring it up in the first place?
See above.

Either way, I've got my answers. Thanks to the rest of you for being polite and actually helpful, and thanks for living up to your red userbar Shemp. I've got nothing further to say on this matter and I hope the game sees a healthy release.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Ok, I clearly went off half-cocked here and I apologise for that. Even if it's not what you intended to do, and I think now it wasn't, it came across to me that you were trying to guilt trip Sturg into changing things. Now if you PMed SAJ to say otherwise, then that wasn't your intention, so I apologise for misreading that, but I do have a tendency here to assume the worst.

And as general advice, if you didn't want people to use resources from the game then you really should have said so in something like a big banner above the forum or wherever they were posted. I mean that as future advice. There may be a SMWC culture that you don't take resources without asking, but there's a bigger internet culture that you can take whatever you want at any time. If you don't state it explicitly then it's not safe to assume that everyone will take it as read without being told that they can't take what they like. Looking at the forum, I can see now that it does say that in a stickied post, but as a casual browser I only saw that by deliberately looking for it, so you could stand to make it more obvious.

Now the reason I made the comment about seriousness is because we're talking about a fangame for a middle-of-the-chain LPer made in a relatively obscure engine taking resources from a hack of a 24-year old game. As seriousness goes it doesn't seem to me to be very high, especially as SMWCP2 is probably the bigger game anyway. So for anyone to notice they would have also have had to have played A2XT and remember one specific level and have it in their mind when they played SMWCP2, which is certainly possible, but it seems unlikely, especially when so many SMW enthusiasts are opposed to SMBX anyway. So it seems to be to be slightly making mountains out of molehills but if you feel differently then I apologise for denigrating your work, but honestly, I don't think anyone will really notice unless you point it out to them.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Doctor Shemp wrote:And as general advice, if you didn't want people to use resources from the game then you really should have said so in something like a big banner above the forum or wherever they were posted. I mean that as future advice.
Common sense should kick in beforehand and say "Hey maybe I shouldn't take this without asking first."
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Doctor Shemp wrote:it came across to me that you were trying to guilt trip Sturg into changing things.
Yeah, definitely not the case. In fact, I was really surprised by his post. When I brought it up to SAJ, my only real question was a) who ripped them, and b) which levels used them? He went above and beyond and actually linked me to the rips on the SMBX forum and said that nobody here had anything to do with it. All the same, I was hoping I could figure out from this community (not registered on the SMBX forum he linked me to) by posting here, and thanks to a couple of helpful people who PM'ed me like Wilhart, I got all of the answers I wanted.
Doctor Shemp wrote:And as general advice, if you didn't want people to use resources from the game then you really should have said so in something like a big banner above the forum or wherever they were posted. I mean that as future advice.
We actually ended up making a post after this whole thing. Still though, it's not so much that I'm pissed that they were ripped, I was just pretty surprised that someone would rip from an incomplete game. Like I said, our goal with SMWCP2 was to have a totally unique set of graphics/music simply to prove that you could have all of that and still make fun levels, and then we'd release the resources afterwards. The initial sight of them in the A2XT commercial was disappointing to the people involved with SMWCP2 (naturally), but I guess we should also feel flattered that someone thought they were good enough to use. In that sense, I suppose I'm glad they're going to make an appearance in this, especially in what people regard to be one of the better looking levels.
Doctor Shemp wrote:So it seems to be to be slightly making mountains out of molehills but if you feel differently then I apologise for denigrating your work, but honestly, I don't think anyone will really notice unless you point it out to them.
It's okay. I tend to come off more abrasively than I intend to at times, which probably explains why you got defensive over my initial post.

...anyway, I'm sure you guys have bugs and whatnot you need to fix, so I'll let everyone get back to that.
leod
Be careful when including any personal details.

Post by leod »

no, maybe you should stop "assuming the worst" just saying because it makes you look like a huge cock
and not the tasty kind
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

leod wrote:no, maybe you should stop "assuming the worst" just saying because it makes you look like a huge cock
and not the tasty kind
I'll try.

To repeat a bug report that probably got lost, it seems that the trigger zone for playing the world-switching SFX is larger than the block itself, so it plays if you jump very near the block. It's not crucial to fix though, just pointing it out.

Secondly, I assume it's meant to be a hum that plays when you step in the life-charging beam (since it's called hum.wav) but all I can hear is a hiss with a slight hum in the background. Is that the same for anyone else? If it is I can probably find a cleaner hum sound.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Lets see if Johnson McCain works now: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wf6nw ... _Update.7z
Axon

Post by Axon »

SAJewers wrote:Lets see if Johnson McCain works now: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wf6nw ... _Update.7z
It seems to work.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Revised MAKL Vanilla attached, to address Chargin' Chuck's non-vanilla status.
Attachments
ztarwuff-MAKLVanilla.zip
(10.47 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

I also tested the Johnson McCain leek checker, both with and without the leek, and it seems to work.

I saw two typos in the new leek pillar in the CoNS, that explains how many leeks are in each world:
- Third textbox has an extra space between "only" and "nine" in the phrase "only nine leeks"
- Seventh textbox has an extra word: "unlocks that the last" -> "unlocks the last"
Last edited by Voltgloss 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.