Wohlstand
Moondust and TheXTech developer
First name: Vitaly
Pronouns: he/him/his

Official update

Post by Wohlstand »

New Update!

-> PGE Editor 0.1.1 Alpha
This is a bug fix update with some improvements.

Change log 0.1.1
- Animation rendering has been improved and optimized
- Added animation start/stop toolbar button
- New selection dialog for items
- Fixed a lot of memory leaks
- New design of the message box
- Added displaying of Item ID in Properties tool box.
- Added item search box: you can find items by their ID along with layer members or other options
- Added tab view mode, you can switch between sub-window/tab mode in application settings
- Added support of second special value for fixing a bug with a wrong LVL file parsing (Herb with included magic potion)
- Fixed loss of decimal part of values for layer movement and auto-scroll speed
- Fixed offset bug for NPC special options
- Title of the sub-window will have the level title instead of the file name
- Added fullscreen option, recommended for tablets!
- Added option to Hide warps/doors and waters (Physical Environment zones) on exporting images.
- Added definition for default flags value for blocks (slippery, invisible) and for NPC (friendly, no-move, boss)
- Added support for resizing the physical environment zones (water, quicksand)
- The default position for the toolboxes will be on the left side of the screen instead of the center (Windows) or left-top corner (Linux)
Screenshots
Available tabs view for opened files:

You can now hide door markers and water zones on exporting images:

You can switch the editor window into full screen, which is recommended for tablets:

New Item selection dialog: You can use categories and groups for selecting the necessary item:

Resizing the water zones are now possible:

New message box design:

Now item placing on the map is relative to the center instead of being relative to the left-top corner:

Available search items on map:

You can search items by their options, or find the layer members/items which use the selected events:

Each level has it's own title. Now the title is displayed as the window title instead of the file name.
You can define the title of level in the menu [Level -> Properties]:

(the same title inside SMBX is defined in the [Level tab -> Advanced]):
Windows build:
Download 0.1.1.3 Alpha without music and sounds (45 MB) (You can simply place the music and sound folders from SMBX 1.3 or 1.3.0.1 into the data directory)
Download 0.1.1.3 Alpha with HQ music (275 MB) (This already contains the HQ SMBX music pack)
h2643
<Knux> h2643 the super computer

Re: Copy/Paste, Resizable, Large-Select-Drag, Undo/Redo Edit

Post by h2643 »

That's great, also Wohlstand, you asked me for doing a ukrainian translation a long while ago. I don't think that it is necessary to do, since every ukrainian guy understands russian language, because almost every word is identical.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

I just tried to download the latest version as linked in this thread. I keep getting "This webpage is not available," but not a 404 error, whenever I try to download the Lite version. The With-Music version shows up correctly, as well as the other versions. It's just 1.1.3 Lite that gives me this problem. Could someone else see if this problem is occurring on their end?
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Whimsical Calamari wrote:Could someone else see if this problem is occurring on their end?
Hmm... All files: and full, and lite, and tiny was plased in the same server and in the same folder. I think you tried to download with my sercer's connection reset. All files available.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Thank you for checking! As I thought, the problem was on my end - I just found out on another attempt that the zip was mistakenly blocked by my antivirus at the last second of the download. Apparently Avast has a problem with installer packages.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Whimsical Calamari wrote:Thank you for checking! As I thought, the problem was on my end - I just found out on another attempt that the zip was mistakenly blocked by my antivirus at the last second of the download. Apparently Avast has a problem with installer packages.
This is a false alert of antivirus:
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... /issues/14
I was sent report to Avast company for they can fix them.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Xirix wrote:I may be missing something, but can this be used just entirely on it's own without using SMBX's editor? It's just that I don't seem to be able to make a new level, nothing happens when I click to do that.

Also if I try to use it to make a new NPC edit it crashes after I choose one.
Which version you have?
Try to download from my laboratory fresh build and retry. I think, I was fix this bug few times ago. If not, please, tell me all your actions which you made stars from run PGE to caused crash.

Yes, this editor is a independence application which can create/edit levels/worlds without SMBX. SMBX will be a "game player" only. After Beta of the editor, I will start works with engine part, and it will fully replace SMBX, and will be a new SMBX's successor.

P.S. where your message? (why you was removed them)
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

I have a couple of suggestions for this:

First off, selecting things by clicking and dragging. This is fine, except you can't select multiple sections at once by holding shift after clicking and dragging. This is often a pain if you want to select objects that are laid out in an odd shape without disturbing other parts of the level.

Secondly, event timings. You limit all timings and speeds in events (such as layer speed and delays) to one decimal place. This is unnecessary and actually limits the editor more than the original SMBX one. In fact, because of this, it's not possible to set up a layer that moves exactly one block per second, as this requires a layer speed of 0.485.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Hoeloe wrote:I have a couple of suggestions for this:

First off, selecting things by clicking and dragging. This is fine, except you can't select multiple sections at once by holding shift after clicking and dragging. This is often a pain if you want to select objects that are laid out in an odd shape without disturbing other parts of the level.

Secondly, event timings. You limit all timings and speeds in events (such as layer speed and delays) to one decimal place. This is unnecessary and actually limits the editor more than the original SMBX one. In fact, because of this, it's not possible to set up a layer that moves exactly one block per second, as this requires a layer speed of 0.485.
1) You can use these features:
- Ctrl key for select per one item clicking
- "Select only" mode which disabling drag of items, and your mouse movement will select them
But with "Shift" key is a good think: select by rectangle from one to other item. I will make them
2) I will do this now, it is simply ;) You will see this update in the next update
EDIT: But delay value in the LVL file data - is an integer, which means, delay value saving in the deciseconds.
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_SMBX64/f ... iption.pdf
But "Classic events" will be only for SMBX-style events, and I will made the "action-styled" events.

I.e. each events will contains the list of actions which do on this event. This will more compact and more flexible, and you will can do loop only in one event, and in second event you can abort loop of other event. And here I will expand delay
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Wohlstand wrote: EDIT: But delay value in the LVL file data - is an integer, which means, delay value saving in the deciseconds.
That's fine, but layer speed isn't, and it's very limiting to not allow more precision.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Hoeloe wrote:
Wohlstand wrote: EDIT: But delay value in the LVL file data - is an integer, which means, delay value saving in the deciseconds.
That's fine, but layer speed isn't, and it's very limiting to not allow more precision.
You can get updated version now ;-)
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_laboratory/
Wohlstand

This is a starting of BETA!

Post by Wohlstand »

After lots of hard work, it's finally here!

This is the beginning of BETA RELEASES!

The PGE Editor 0.2.0 Beta
The PGE editor is now officially in the Beta stage! Image
The editor now completely supports the SMBX standard, and can edit any level, NPC, or world map.

Downloads:
Image Download Editor 0.2 Beta [Win32] (41 MB)

Image Download Editor 0.2 Beta [Linux CentOS x86_64] (42 MB)

Image Download Editor 0.2 Beta [MacOS X] (27 MB)

Important to download for using of the editor with SMBX
Image Download SMBX Configuration Pack (241 MB) (You should unpack them into configs subdirectory of the editor to start work with editor)
Also you can get more configuration packages here:
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/config_packs.php

Sources (C++, Qt5)
Image Download sources [.zip]

Image Download sources [.tar.gz]

Image How to build project for Linux, Windows, Mac OS X

Help
Image Read Online Guide

Changelog 0.2.0
- Added support for World Maps
- Added customizable item tilesets
- Added "name" field into NPC customizer for defining the NPC's name
- Fixed zombie bug: application process will correctly end work when closed
- Invisible frames of some items are now visible!
- Square fill tool button will appear on the toolbar when you switch the placing mode
- Apply/Cancel buttons of resizing process available on the toolbar
- Fixed initial map positions on open/create files
- Added settings for the item toolbox tabs: you can display them horizontally or vertically
- Improved LVL parser: ordering/layering format <10 will automatically set BGO sorting priority for BGO 65 and boss flag for NPC-15, 39 and 86.
- Added overwrite mode: all overlapping items will be removed when placing a new item in the same location
- Improved Square Fill tool: you will see yellow rectangles, which show where the new items will be placed
- Fixed "add layer" dialog. Now if you try to define an already existing layer, you will be asked to input a different layer name
- Added point selection dialog. You can select a point from a world map directly to the warp on the level.
- Added dialogs and GUI executables for console tools like GIFs2PNG and LazyFixTool
- Mouse control for level editing workspace was improved. Fixed a lot of bugs and fixed context menus on Linux systems.
- Custom graphics will display even if they are not in a "Custom" category
- Item animation has been improved
- The drawing algorithm for sizable blocks has been improved: Sizable blocks will be displayed correctly in any size.
- Added support for animation sequences, which allows more flexible animations for NPC's
- Better scrolling by keyboard and by mouse wheel. (Added new hot-keys)
- Added zoom support by mouse-wheel and ALT key.
- Added PNG2GIFs converter which creates masked GIF images from a PNG image with transparency
- Added Italian translation
- Design of warp points and physical environment zones are improved, also magenta-colored bounding box has been changed to Crimson
- Added debugger box
- Background-selecting list now has thumbnails for previewing!
Feature Descriptions & Screenshots

The editor now has a fully compatible, feature-packed world map editor:

Configuration manager:
You can switch between different configurations and data packs, which is very organized and convenient. Each configuration pack can contain its own music, graphics, sound effects, NPCs, etc. This is perfect for working on many different projects and episodes.

Editor's Splash screen customization:
Each configuration pack can have a unique splash logo (you can set them in the main.ini in the [gui] section)
with the ability to use ANY image with ANY size!

Resizing mode buttons on the toolbar
You can apply or cancel resize by clicking on these buttons:
Better NPC Editor
Fixed a lot of bugs with animation, and animator will now accurately and correctly render custom NPCs.
Additionally, you can define the name of your custom NPC, which will be displayed in the editor.
Better square fill tool
You can now see the location where items will be placed, before you actually place them. Also, you can overlap blocks, items, etc, and you can use the square fill tool for quickly filling large areas:
SMBX Like Tileset item box
The editor features an editable and flexible tileset item box, you have the freedom to edit anything!
to use them, open a [view -> Tileset Item box] menuitem
Line tool!
Draw slopes, bridges, and walls easier!
Overwrite mode
Draw over everything! With overwrite mode, you have the powerful ability to draw/place items over all objects in the same location.
All console tools have GUI executables which will help you use these tools easier!

Better sizable block render algorithm
Your sizable blocks can have ANY size, even sizes that are not multiples of 32, which would cause glitches in SMBX.
Added debugger box
You can see your current mouse position, jump to any position on the map/level, and much more!
Easy creation of level-to-map warps
If you want to create a warp from a level into the world map, you can grab a point from the world map easily and directly!
See, you don't need to manually enter map coordinates any more! Now, you can simply click a point on the world map.
Zoom feature
A useful feature to place items more accurately in the "no grid snap" mode, or to view the whole map at once without needing to export it into an image!

Enjoy the new Beta release, and thank you for all the support you guys have given so far!
Last edited by Wohlstand 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

I never knew this was a thing until now. Downloading now to give it a try, if it works I will thank you forever because it sounds way better than the normal SMBX editor.

EDIT: Oh, is there a config pack for A2MBXT, or should I just copy/paste the stuff from the devkit?
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

ohhhh man it's beta time!!!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Validon98 wrote:I never knew this was a thing until now. Downloading now to give it a try, if it works I will thank you forever because it sounds way better than the normal SMBX editor.

EDIT: Oh, is there a config pack for A2MBXT, or should I just copy/paste the stuff from the devkit?
Hi, yes, I published the A2MBXT config pack here:
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/config_packs.php

Also I have suggestion: let's make shared GitHub repo for this config pack and we will update them together, and this will be easer way to update my download archive ;)
With developing of engine part I will have A LOT OF updates of the NPC's algorithm scripts, which I should put into both configs: SMBX 1.3, A2MBXT. And when I done engine part, we can fork these configs and we can make everything with them!
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

I suggest adding a better place to see how many blocks are in the level so it can be compared to SMBX's limit of 16384. The same can be said of all the other kinds of objects.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Hoeloe wrote:I suggest adding a better place to see how many blocks are in the level so it can be compared to SMBX's limit of 16384. The same can be said of all the other kinds of objects.
May by I will display them in the status bar when you in placing mode?
I was made the debugger box template (View -> Debugger) to display in future item number on the level, but I think, we also can put item number into the status bar (for example, when you place blocks, you will see in the status bar number of blocks on the level, and when you place NPC, you will see NPC number in the same status bar). Is this thing good? I can make this for test and will put into laboratory.

Now my editor haven't limits for item placing (I was made level with ~32000 BGO's, but SMBX limit is 8000 BGO's), and this level always causing SMBX crash :D
The limit is an available RAM and VRAM space which need for graphics caches.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart, Wohlstand.

You revolutionized the way how I, hell, all SMBX users create their levels.

Keep up the awesome work!
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Wohlstand wrote: Now my editor haven't limits for item placing (I was made level with ~32000 BGO's, but SMBX limit is 8000 BGO's), and this level always causing SMBX crash :D
The limit is an available RAM and VRAM space which need for graphics caches.
The limits SMBX claims are all incorrect. In fact they appear to be the nearest power of 2 to the value they claim. So SMBX claims that there is a limit of 20000 blocks, but it is in fact 16384, which is 214. Similarly, limits such as 8000 is likely actually 8192, which is 213. It would be good to display those limits correctly, and perhaps prevent placing objects beyond them, as that causes crashes in SMBX due to overflowing arrays.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Hoeloe wrote:
Wohlstand wrote: The limits SMBX claims are all incorrect. In fact they appear to be the nearest power of 2 to the value they claim. So SMBX claims that there is a limit of 20000 blocks, but it is in fact 16384, which is 214. Similarly, limits such as 8000 is likely actually 8192, which is 213. It would be good to display those limits correctly, and perhaps prevent placing objects beyond them, as that causes crashes in SMBX due to overflowing arrays.
Oh, stinky static arrays:
LevelBlock blocks[20000];

I'm always using dynamic arrays, and this giving no limits:
vector<LevelBlock> blocks;
(in my case I was used QVector which promoting by Qt library)

https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... ata.h#L232
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Wohlstand wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:
Wohlstand wrote: The limits SMBX claims are all incorrect. In fact they appear to be the nearest power of 2 to the value they claim. So SMBX claims that there is a limit of 20000 blocks, but it is in fact 16384, which is 214. Similarly, limits such as 8000 is likely actually 8192, which is 213. It would be good to display those limits correctly, and perhaps prevent placing objects beyond them, as that causes crashes in SMBX due to overflowing arrays.
Oh, stinky static arrays:
LevelBlock blocks[20000];

I'm always using dynamic arrays, and this giving no limits:
vector<LevelBlock> blocks;
(in my case I was used QVector which promoting by Qt library)

https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... ata.h#L232
Static arrays are MUCH better for performance. Use them for the editor, but if you're building your own engine, I strongly recommend pre-determining the size of the arrays on a per level basis and using static arrays. They're MUCH better if you're not changing the size. Most implementations of dynamic arrays just use static arrays anyway and disguise the horrific duplication when you need to change the size.

On another note, even if your editor IS using dynamic arrays, SMBX isn't, and will crash if you run over the limits. You should take this into account.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Can I just say,

Holy bananas, you are amazing. Thank you so much.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Hoeloe wrote:Static arrays are MUCH better for performance. Use them for the editor, but if you're building your own engine, I strongly recommend pre-determining the size of the arrays on a per level basis and using static arrays. They're MUCH better if you're not changing the size. Most implementations of dynamic arrays just use static arrays anyway and disguise the horrific duplication when you need to change the size.
This will be for BGO and Blocks static arrays in game-play,
I think about this engine's level/world init algorithm:
1) read items from file into dynamic array (count items).
2) create static array equal to dynamic with tiny backup cells and copy all items into static.
3) clear dynamic arrays because they are no more need.

But NPC's and playable characters should be in the dynamic arrays, because NPC's can be spawning and it's number is grows.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

so I tried both any size block and any size BGO before this update
any size blocks show up in SMBX but the any size BGO does not. hope this beta lets me do that now
Image Image
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Man, this is looking pretty nifty! However, I like playtesting my levels while building them, so (unless I missed something in playing around with the editor) I really want to see that feature in a future update. Still, awesome work!