(shouting)

Copy/Paste, Resizable, Large-Select-Drag, Undo/Redo Editor

The second SMBX collab!
Zygl

Re: Copy/Paste, Resizable, Large-Select-Drag, Undo/Redo Edit

Post by Zygl »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote: Now that I'm actually trying to use it, the lack of built-in level testing messes with my "do exactly one thing, re-test entire level" process, but as far as I can tell literally everything else is like a hundred times better than SMBX's editor and if that's on the to-do list then I am officially hyped to an unhealthy degree for this thing.

Also Horikawa for whatever reason it apparently remembers your recently used files.
Open Recent.png
It's not really an issue of any sort, of course, I just find it silly.
Unfortunately that, if it ever happens at all, will come with his full SMBX engine rewrite. Because there's no way (I think) to hook into SMBX and be like "ENGINE GO!" without rewriting it from scratch.

What I recommend is having the SMBX editor open to the same level simultaneously. Then, when you're done doing stuff in Wohl Engine, you re-open the file in SMBX (ctrl+o/enter) and give it a try.
After a bit of random flailing I did eventually figure out how to switch between them both effectively, using the SMBX editor for most things because having the editor window be the exact size of the game window is useful occasionally and switching to Wohl Engine for bulk stuff-moving and putting stuff on layers. I should probably get used to working entirely in Wohl Engine for non-testing purposes, though, since it's most likely the level editor/game engine of the future and all.
Also you now know where my SMBX folder is ohhhhh noooooo (that's probably in the config file that I bundled in).
For a moment there I was wondering what kind of weird Windows/Linux half-breed amalgam of an OS you were using that "C:/" was a valid path, but apparently it just puts / in the Open Recent thing instead of \.
Wohlstand
Moondust and TheXTech developer
First name: Vitaly
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Wohlstand »

Hey guys I'm the developer of this editor and the PGE project ;)

Horikawa Otane good job building my unstable sources :)
The first version which you built had a stupid bug in the "main.cpp" file, which I have fixed. Installing Qt is needed only for building from sources. For launching, you only need to correctly place libraries in the application folder.

Me and my friend are going to implement features like storing history (player points) and fixing bugs. And while I create the help documents, we plan to publish version 0.1-Alpha which will have full level editing. We also plan to implement world map support. After we are done with the editor, we will start developing the engine part (which will play/test/debug the levels/worlds/games). I think it would be better if I implement LunaDLL's functions into my engine directly. Instead of SMBX, which uses LunaDLL as a mod, I want to implement it as a internal part. And instead of SMBX's native graphics, I want to use OpenGL rendering. This will save a lot of CPU time and give more graphics-related features while adding more quality. While the engine part hasn't started, level tests and other things created with the editor are playable in the original SMBX engine.

P.S. Horikawa Otane, please feel free to notify me about any bugs you may find, which will help me with fixing them. And if you have any fixed sources, you can send me them via GitHub or directly.

P.P.S. If anyone wishes to help with the translation for their native languages, I've written this article.

Good luck ;)

And note:
You can save a lot of time in running a test level in SMBX after using my editor for editing. You don't need to reopen it in SMBX.
Why?
After each test run, SMBX always reopens the file, (when SMBX asks the question about saving the file before running the test, select "NO"), and the file will load, edited and saved by PGE.
Last edited by Wohlstand 9 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Wohlstand wrote:Hey, guys, I'm a main developer of this editor and PGE project ;)

Horikawa Otane, good job for built my unstable sources :)
First version, what you built had a my stupid bug in "main.cpp" file, what I'd fix. And install of Qt need only for build from sources. For correctly lauch, need only correctly place libraries in application folder.

I and my friend will done something history stores (player points, and fix bugs), and while I made help, will be published version 0.1-Alpha, what have full level editing, and we will start implementing of world map support. After we done editor, we will start developing of engine part (what will play/test/debug the levels/worlds/games), and I think, will be useful, if I implement LunaDLL's functions into engine part. Instead SMBX, what use LunaDLL as mod, I want made them as internal part. And, instead SMBX's native graphics, I want use OpenGL render in engine part, this will save a lot of CPU time and give more graphics features and will made more quality. While engine part is not started, level tests and play will be works only with original SMBX.

P.S. Horikawa Otane, please, notify me about found bugs, you will help me with fixing of them, and if you can, you can send me already fixed sources, via GitHub, or directly.

P.P.S. Who want to made translation for his native language, I wrote this article.

Good luck ;)

And note:
You can save a lot of time on run test level in SMBX after editing by my editor, you don't need to reopen in SMBX.
Why?
After each test run, SMBX always reopening file, (on SMBX's question about save file before run test, set "NO"), and will be started edited in PGE version.

uhhhhh, somehow, this is so grammaticaly wrong that I don't understand the meaning of this post.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Fluffi-dono wrote:uhhhhh, somehow, this is so grammaticaly wrong that I don't understand the meaning of this post.
Fluffi-dono for Most Helpful 2014.
Wohlstand wrote:[stuff]
This is actually some great timing, just last night I ran into a bug involving reordering the event list when there are five (or probably more) events and I was wondering if you had some sort of official channel for bug reporting or anything.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Fluffi-dono, edited, I think, you will understand this, sorry for my English
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

That's quite an undertaking you got there, but I am for sure curious to see where it goes!
If you ever need to use copyright-free characters for whatever reason, feel free to use ours!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

raocow wrote:That's quite an undertaking you got there, but I am for sure curious to see where it goes!
If you ever need to use copyright-free characters for whatever reason, feel free to use ours!
I like this idea, and now I have direct permission, thanks ;)
And this good reason for make with configs/SMBX the configs/raocow, what will be define any items of ASMBXT: Names, properties, etc. But I will made after done of SMBX config definition (need calibrate end debug any properties before fork configuration to ASMBXT).

Here I placed most recent game configurations:
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... nt/configs

The main and awesome difference between SMBX and PGE: the fully flexible with INI files (you can set ALL item properties and programming them, in SMBX this integrated in EXE-file), and for NPC I have special surprise: They will can be programmed by declarative script language. I will use the Lua and my own language NPCS, what now is model only (Interpreter and debuggers doesn't made).
You can see my examples here, but when I start coding of engine part, can be changed language model and edited/created new examples:
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_PGE/
Because creating of new script language is a long process, all exist SMBX's NPCs will be defined by Lua.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Japan has a decently sized SMBX community. Japanese isn't my native language, so it won't be optimal, but I can provide a translation if you'd like. I work in Japanese professionally and have relevant degrees (and, soon, graduate degrees). So like... If you have another Japanese-native offer you should use that, but if not I can provide a translation for you =).

On and there was one thing I was wondering about.

Whenever I check out the latest sources, I have to edit all the items in dock to change the line

Code: Select all

#include "../../ui_mainwindow.h"
to

#include "../ui_mainwindow.h"
Why is this?
This is actually not necessary, UI files are automatically generated on qmake. And if they didn't build, you need to update them by xxx/uic.exe (xxx - path to Qt/bin)

Which Qt Version are you using? I'm now building under Qt 5.3.0. I strongly recommend to check ALL sources, as they must be fresh. If you get any errors, you could try to re-clone.
Current sources are now successfully building on my Windows PC, on my server under CentOS 6.5, on Mac OS X, and on my friend's PC, which helps the project.

Feel free to create your translation, and don't worry about any mistakes, as it will be simpler to correct in the future than to create a entirely new translation from scratch.

About deploying with DLLs:
I've made this archive related to this:
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/Software/Libs_Qt5.zip
You can simply unpack them into release dir.

Don't forget to create data/graphics and copy graphics pack from my archive, music can be optionaly copyed from SMBX or from my server. configs/SMBX with all INI files, and languages with compiled to *.qm translates with png flag icons. (in QtCreator: Tools/External/QtLinguist/lrelease).

Right now only EN, RU, DE, ES, and other empty templates exist.

P.S. I've organized the source files last time, as you can see.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Horikawa Otane, don't forgot to send along with the update, the configs/SMBX and languages folders (after the lrelease *.pro command). These have regular updating too (new params, fixing mistakes in values, new translation strings, etc.), and are important too.
Wohlstand

Official update

Post by Wohlstand »

New update!

-> PGE Editor 0.1 Alpha
Here already realized all level editing features, even events, and fixed a lot of bugs.
Windows built:
Download 0.1 Alpha without music (39 MB) (You can simply place music folder from SMBX 1.3 or 1.3.0.1 into data directory)
Download 0.1 Alpha with HQ music (267 MB) (This already contains HQ SMBX music pack)

Videos: Changelog 0.1
- Added events control support
- Added sound tester
- Image render are improved and fully support taking alpha channel from masks (before only internal PNG alpha, or 1-bit masks files)
- Fixed default main window size and position
- Fixed Level item toolbox category list translating
- Fixed bug with empty category lists after config reload
- Added support for BMP Files, Ghosties will be appeared ONLY if image really broken.
- Player's start points can be moved by mouse in selection mode
- History manager can store any level data and any settings changes
- New icons for section switch buttons
- Optimized background and music selector
- Language switcher are improved
- Fixed crash on press "Delete" in layer list without selected item
- Fixed bug with door flags "Level Exit" and "Level Entrance" on already placed points
- If not exist translate equal to system, will be used English translate
- Remembering of save paths
- Merging of layers, on rename layer to equal to other exists
- Configuration status window. You can see status of all configuration items and look for errors on load process
- Fixed bug with events resets in properties window
- Added search filter for NPC-Selection dialog
- Added search filter for level Item Box
- Fixed NPC's special option wrong values on placing items
- Fixed grammars and spellings in labels
- Optimized toolbox generation
- Added Notification about wrong custom graphics files
- Fixed frames calculating for NPCs
- On Music files list open current file will be selected
- In music list displaying music files from sub-directories
- Fixed autoalign bug: Grid applying only on moved items
- Fixed random NPC's direction generator
- Added counter of stars in LVL-file save function
- Fixed bug with wrong background on created levels (before save them).
AND:
- Fixed bug with custom music paths after save new file.
- Speed up of level loading process, now Editor opening the huge levels quickly
This version support full level editing functional

Also, added two useful console utilities:
Note: For use thees utilities, please, open Command Line CMD.EXE for Windows or Terminal in Linux
GIFs2PNG
GIFs2PNG - converter of SMBX's gifs with masks to transparent PNGs [now planned opposite tool: convert transparent PNG to masked GIFs for SMBX]

How to use:
This utility converting all graphics from folder. For take PNG with transparent, you need place AND source images, AND his masks into same folder. All gifs must be converted from BMP by second tool, if some images didn't read.
For start converting, simply type this in command line:

X:\MyDir\With\PGE-Editor\GIFs2PNG C:\SMBX\worlds\episode1\level3
Where X:\MyDir\With\PGE-Editor\ - path to your PGE-Editor's folder, copy from address bar and paste by right mouse button
Where C:\SMBX\worlds\episode1\level3 - the path to your GIFs in SMBX64 format (with masks), what you want convert to PNG.

You can see more features of utility, if you simply rum them without arguments
LazyFixTool
LazyFixTool - the powerfull utility for automatically fix lazy-made GFXes:
convert all BMPs into GIF format, made correct mask, what created by lazy work. Can fix all GFXes of whole episode in one run!!!

Also, you can made light-gray masks darker, for use real alpha-channel inside PGE instead pseudo-transparent of SMBX:

Note: this utility makes backups of your current graphics into "_backup" sub-folder. If you will find glitch, you can restore old graphics back.

How to use:
This utility fixing all SMBX64 graphics (GIF with mask images) in selected folder and (optionaly) all graphics insided into subfolders.
Mask must be placed WITH its image, fixing process based on calculating broken pixels by comparing between pixels of both images.
For start fixing graphics into one folder:

X:\MyDir\With\PGE-Editor\LazyFixTool C:\SMBX\worlds\episode1\level3
For start fixing graphics of whole episode:

X:\MyDir\With\PGE-Editor\LazyFixTool C:\SMBX\worlds\episode1 -W
For start fixing with gray down of gray-scale masks:

X:\MyDir\With\PGE-Editor\LazyFixTool C:\SMBX\worlds\episode1\level3 -G
Where X:\MyDir\With\PGE-Editor\ - path to your PGE-Editor's folder, copy from address bar and paste by right mouse button
Where C:\SMBX\worlds\episode1\level3 - the path to your GIFs in SMBX64 format (with masks), what you want convert to PNG.
Where -G - switch for made gray color darker.
Where -W - switch for walk inside all subdirectories.
Where -N - switch for disable saving of backups.

You can see more features of utility, if you simply run them without arguments
Read more in original post:
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199#p199
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Man it's amazing what y'all did with the dinky smbx editor.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

raocow wrote:Man it's amazing what y'all did with the dinky smbx editor.
I'm amazed as well.

Good job, [place name of the people who work on it here].
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Fluffi-dono wrote:[place name of the people who work on it here].
Here all people, who contributed to this editor:
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... ntributors
inclusive:
- direct push sources to repository
- pull request with fixes, translations, and helps with sources
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Is there a asmbxt version?
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Mikkofier wrote:Is there a asmbxt version?
This is editor only, you can use them for any SMBX-compatible projects. (with replacing of data and INI files settings)

Little note for users of unstable builds: Because a lot of functions and features in working process, they can have a lot of bugs and will make crashes. For example: I made BGO render by single animator, but now this feature is not stable. Sometimes I got a lot of crashes, what I was fix, and tests with this feature is not done. If selected BGO have red rectangle - you now have this experimental feature. I will made same animator for blocks. This optimization will save a lot of RAM. In current "stable" alpha version each item have own copy of image sprite.
Bryux

Post by Bryux »

This is really nice. Though I'm torn between using this and the original editor because this editor is not at all organized as conveniently and it uses the defualt graphics in the editor windows. I'm suspecting there is a way of changing that but I'm not good enough at computers for that...

Or am I using an old version? I downloaded the first link in the OP.

And I can't seem to create warps, everything is just grayed out and the plus button does nothing, why is that?
woawoawoah someone spoilered the obligatory signaturtle
I settled with good old Kaguya
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Bryux wrote:This is really nice. Though I'm torn between using this and the original editor because this editor is not at all organized as conveniently and it uses the defualt graphics in the editor windows. I'm suspecting there is a way of changing that but I'm not good enough at computers for that...

Or am I using an old version? I downloaded the first link in the OP.

And I can't seem to create warps, everything is just grayed out and the plus button does nothing, why is that?
1) Check version of editor [ ? -> About ] (latest 0.1 Alpha), if you have older (0.0.8, 0.0.7, 0.0.6, 0.0.5, etc.) please, get stable latest on my page, or experimental built here.
0.1 supports any for editing of levels, and layers, and warps, and events.

2) All graphics placing into data/graphics folders. You can replace them.
Also you can edit configs/SMBX for replace settings of items.
P.S. For display custom graphics of current level, select the category "[Custom]"
(Screenshot from old 0.0.8, latest 0.1 supports groups)

Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

I've found a bug and a feature that I think would be very useful.

The bug is with events involving layer movement. It seems that if the level is saved while an event is selected, then the layer movement section gets reset - that is, the layer is set to "None".

As for the feature, it should be pretty simple. It would be really handy to have the ID of an object displayed in the properties. That way, you can place a block or NPC or whatever, and look up the ID directly, then change the graphics of it. At the moment, I have to trawl through the original graphics looking for the right object, and it would save a lot of time if this wasn't necessary.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Hoeloe wrote:I've found a bug and a feature that I think would be very useful.

The bug is with events involving layer movement. It seems that if the level is saved while an event is selected, then the layer movement section gets reset - that is, the layer is set to "None".

As for the feature, it should be pretty simple. It would be really handy to have the ID of an object displayed in the properties. That way, you can place a block or NPC or whatever, and look up the ID directly, then change the graphics of it. At the moment, I have to trawl through the original graphics looking for the right object, and it would save a lot of time if this wasn't necessary.
You will got Item ID from Item List, if you will place mouse cursor over target item:
But I will append ItemID inside Properties toolbox ;) Will be useful and here

What about "layer movement", see:
if you making "save" will nothing, but if you making "save as", or if you switch from other active window, selection of event will be reseted, and you need set necessary event secondary.

Can you send sequence of actions (after start of application), before you got bug?

AND note:
about section settings:
Each event have fields of settings for all 21 section, I.e. you can set settings many sections in one event. SMBX have a lot of difficulties for set settings for each section. I solve this difficult with switching settings. AND, as you see, you don't need edit section size for set "position", you will edit stored values directly (by yellow resizer, or by number fields with L,R,T,B coordinates).
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

raocow mentioned this editor on the description of one of his recent videos.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdnmT3yTm9g
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Wohlstand wrote: What about "layer movement", see:
if you making "save" will nothing, but if you making "save as", or if you switch from other active window, selection of event will be reseted, and you need set necessary event secondary.

Can you send sequence of actions (after start of application), before you got bug?
I made an event that starts a layer moving. I have the events tab open, and the specific event highlighted. On saving using Ctrl+S, the "Set moving layer" option reverts to "[None]", regardless of what the layer was set to.

If the event is not highlighted in the events window, though, then it saves the layer properly.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Hoeloe wrote:
Wohlstand wrote: What about "layer movement", see:

I made an event that starts a layer moving. I have the events tab open, and the specific event highlighted. On saving using Ctrl+S, the "Set moving layer" option reverts to "[None]", regardless of what the layer was set to.

If the event is not highlighted in the events window, though, then it saves the layer properly.
Hm... Quick question: did you rename event after creation?
You need rename them, because it will not be saved into array, while you not rename them.
Try same with already created events and try saving.

But in just case I will check the "Layer Movement" boxes and its actions
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Hoeloe, what about displaying Item ID inside Propertied toolbox, made:
GitHub commit:
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... ad935f6657

Will be appeared in next version
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Wohlstand wrote: Hm... Quick question: did you rename event after creation?
You need rename them, because it will not be saved into array, while you not rename them.
Try same with already created events and try saving.

But in just case I will check the "Layer Movement" boxes and its actions
I named it something sensible, and the rest of the event data was saved perfectly well.

Also, the ID system looks perfect, it just makes it slightly easier to spot the ID.

Oh, there's also another bug. The editor sometimes crashes when editing the text of a sign. I guess there's roughly a 50/50 chance of it crashing.
Wohlstand

Post by Wohlstand »

Hoeloe wrote: Oh, there's also another bug. The editor sometimes crashes when editing the text of a sign. I guess there's roughly a 50/50 chance of it crashing.
Oh, I will check.
You tried by context menu or by Item Properties dialog?

I just check and found mistake: I forgot to add protection of Sub-Window type :oops: (Level edit window, NPC-Edit window, etc...), this is a reason of crashes, because protector absence, and on wrong sub-Window type will be crash

Fixed! :mrgreen:
GitHub commit

Fixed version you can get now from my "laboratory":
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_laboratory/
(I just now made them, for organize mailing of fresh builds to other testers)