(shouting)

Level Design Tips/What Not To Do (READ SECOND)

The second SMBX collab!
CloudyCloud

Re: Level Design Tips/What Not To Do

Post by CloudyCloud »

Something to mention:

If possible, you can try to hide the layer of "Spawned NPC" ALSO if your boss involves any kind of generator, and you don't need the generator for the part AFTER the boss(like, the end)

(For example, a room where you need to kill boom boom, while the room has rinkas generator to help boom boom to kill you.)

As in, you have that rinkas and you only want the rinkas for boom boom. Thus, once the boom boom is dead, you want to hide rinka generator, don't you? But the problem is "Okay, I hide generator, but the remaining rings still remain, how?"

In this case, you need to hide "Spawn NPC" layer for awhile, then show it back again with another event.

Maybe you can consider this suggestion.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

To add onto that, the neatest way to do so is by including the toggling of the Spawned NPC layer with a mandatory event, such as the appearance of a door, or the vanishing of a wall, or simply the appearance of the level-ending star.

Oh, and be sure to keep the door and pipe warps as normal entrances unless you intend for it to be a SMB2 warp or something. Something to keep in mind for a first level...
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:To add onto that, the neatest way to do so is by including the toggling of the Spawned NPC layer with a mandatory event, such as the appearance of a door, or the vanishing of a wall, or simply the appearance of the level-ending star.

Oh, and be sure to keep the door and pipe warps as normal entrances unless you intend for it to be a SMB2 warp or something. Something to keep in mind for a first level...
But I am wondering...

What is "Toggle layer" about?

I know "Show" and "Hide", but "Toggle"?
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

CloudyCloud wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:To add onto that, the neatest way to do so is by including the toggling of the Spawned NPC layer with a mandatory event, such as the appearance of a door, or the vanishing of a wall, or simply the appearance of the level-ending star.

But I am wondering...

What is "Toggle layer" about?

I know "Show" and "Hide", but "Toggle"?
...You know, I don't exactly know either. I meant it by toggling on the NPC spawn layer. I'm guessing it's mainly for turning switches on or off with an event. I might try experimenting with it later.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

Toggle just switches the setting. If a layer starts off hidden and is toggled, it turns visible. The reverse is also true. So if you wanted a switch to turn off one layer that starts out visible and turn on another that starts out invisible with only one event, you just put them in the toggle thingy.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, it saves you an event if you want a layer to swap between shown and hidden.

As for Boss layers, your best bet is to move the layers way offscreen, especially if it's a generator that hides and reappears, or use LunaLua (Especially if the layer has a sound effect associated).
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Level Design Tips/What Not To Do (READ SECOND)

Post by SAJewers »

Examples of levels that are either terrible or too hard/impossible, and you should avoid making levels like these:

https://youtu.be/na5GNEYXOO8?t=43m59s
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB