The second SMBX collab!
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Re: A2MBXT beta testing

Post by Mabel »

ok.
so.
drop this into your Baker Street folder, the attacking statues were attacking backwards for some reason, this willll fix that

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:More bug-testing!
Castle of the World:
At the boss fight the pipe sometimes spawns a bomb and a caterpillar at once, result in an exploded bomb and a dead caterpillar.
At the boss the caterpillars can hurt the world if they hit it.
-The only time I had that happen was at the start of the fight if you enter it after 9 seconds have already passed, wierd how generators work is theyre already activated at the start of the stage.
If you get it at any other time, Its probably because theyre on 6 and 9 second intervals, at 18 seconds they overlap and probably hit each other, if its a problem then we can probably change the times to 2 intervals(minimum 6 seconds) that dont overlap constantly...(probably 7 and 9 or 7 and 11)
-intentional, that way the boss isn't extremely long if you give it some thought and combine your firepower
Attachments
npc-181m.gif
npc-181m.gif (1.32 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
npc-181.gif
npc-181.gif (3.51 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
Last edited by Mabel 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:Michigan Test:
The door at the start has no animation. (SMBX thing with graphics)
Sometimes when mishi unleashes her mind powers the blocks she was supposed to break that time don't break. (SMBX thing with physics) Also unleashing mind-powers causes some puffs of smoke down on the layer that she just broke through. (required to prevent cutoff)
Mishi seems to get less accurate with her jump aiming the farther away from you she is at the start of her jump. Odd. Not sure if bug. (SMBX thing with speed flags.)
Is the leek supposed to do the dissappearing thing when it goes high enough to? (Yes)
Stuff caused by SMBX is not really a problem in this case.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Ending World 8. There may be a video tomorrow or they may not. I haven't decided if I feel up to it yet.

Everyone Has A Star Man Except You
I'm pretty sure it's "Starman" (one word). Also the rainbow coins might fool people into thinking the coins have Starmen too.
Dark Side of the Sun
It asks a lot of the player but it is the last proper level of the game.
Final Level
The LunaDLL code to switch characters in the Demo/Iris room doesn’t work at all, thus making the room impassable as some jumps can only be done as Iris.
The textbox in the Demo/Iris room explaining the mechanic (which doesn’t work anyway, see above) is just terribly written.
Someone on the buglist wrote:The mini-tutorial room introducing special donut shooters before the Science battle teaches you that you can ride the donuts - but not that you can pick them up. The first phase of Science reinforces that wrong lesson because you can win by riding the donuts up to Science’s alcove and letting the donut shooters push Science out of the invisible Mother Brain “glass.” But those wrong lessons lead to a frustrating and unwinnable second phase of Science, until a player stumbles on the discovery that donuts can be picked up. Suggested fix: require player to pick up and throw donuts in the mini-tutorial room to advance (say, by killing a Spike Top or other non-jumpable, non-fireballable enemy).
Everyone responsible for this level (Docopoper, SAJewers & Septentrion Pleiades, according to the level list) is a massive hypocrite. You all gave whoever it was so much shit for creating that horrible touhou bullet hell shit level in MAGLX with the full knowledge that you had created your own touhou shit, complete with music, with rinka spam fucking everywhere and made it the final level in this episode - the capstone to the whole game. You criticised him for trying to force bullet hell gameplay into a platformer while doing the same thing yourself and introducing a brand new mechanic with shithouse explanation on the spot as well. You are all such hypocrites.
EOW8 Cutscene
If you’re going to have Science switch from all caps to no caps at all, be consistent about it. You still have Science starting some (but not all) sentences with a capital.
Credits
The buglist wrote:-”Docopopper” -> “Docopoper”
-”Ometotol/Ometototl” -> “Ometeotl”
-Remove Portal 2 in Music Credits, replace with Double Dungeons
-Remove Red Army Orchestra in Music Credits, Replace with SoviMusic
-Some of the enemies in the enemy list have odd looking backgrounds in their graphic, like a field of dots.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

HeavySigh-SuperHighSkyway
Cutoff and spelling.

Super Happy Bonus Bananza:
Removed offscreen exit from the start.
Attachments
Typos4.rar
(21.1 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:Blue Surfer:
Multiple sudden thwomps from above in a 'racing upwards' segment? Not cool man.
Water doesn't actually filter boots, you can just jump out, pick the boot up, and carry it to the exit before jumping back in, thus keeping your utterly cheating blue boot anywhere you please.
I think the thwomps are fine because the big horizontal coin arrows give you advance warning that you need to move to the side.

I do agree that the water at the end doesn't filter the blue boot, and did exactly what you describe on my playthrough. Suggestion: remove the high "cliff" that is under the exit leek. Just make it so the entire room is water. That way, you can't put the boot under the leek, climb into the boot, and then hop up and touch the leek (which is how I brought the boot with me). If the cliff is gone, the leek is too high to reach while in a boot.
KingTwelveSixteen wrote:Pavlov Gold:
Why are the flying yellow goopas immune to fire and jumping?? The regular ones sure weren't immune to fire, let me tell you that!
Odd. I was able to kill the flying yellow goopas with fire just fine.
KingTwelveSixteen wrote:Final Level:
For some reason double-tapping down doesn't switch characters like it should, making this unwinnable. Well, unless I use a cape or something to cheat it.
Doctor Shemp wrote:The LunaDLL code to switch characters in the Demo/Iris room doesn’t work at all, thus making the room impassable as some jumps can only be done as Iris.
Also odd. The LunaDLL code for switching between Demo and Iris (for the Super Demo Sisters part of the Final Level) worked fine for me. It took a few tries for me to get the timing down right - you have to double-tap down very quickly - but once I learned the timing it worked consistently. I was able to beat the entire Final Level (including that segment) legit.

EDIT: I see from Shemp's video that he is using a different update then the one I used, as the sign at the start of the Super Demo Sisters section had a second textbox that wasn't there when I played. I don't know if he is using an older or a more recent update. I know the LunaDLL worked in the version made available on 5/12 - i.e., not the version SAJewers just released, but the one immediately preceding that.
Last edited by Voltgloss 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Voltgloss wrote:
KingTwelveSixteen wrote:Blue Surfer:
Multiple sudden thwomps from above in a 'racing upwards' segment? Not cool man.
Water doesn't actually filter boots, you can just jump out, pick the boot up, and carry it to the exit before jumping back in, thus keeping your utterly cheating blue boot anywhere you please.
I think the thwomps are fine because the big horizontal coin arrows give you advance warning that you need to move to the side.
I didn't see this until Voltgloss quoted it. I know I have some creator bias in seeing this, but I think a giant coin arrow is enough warning. I know everytime I see a coin arrow in a level I follow it.

I was not aware that you could carry the boot like that. I'll fix that up, along with removing a few enemies from parts and changing the big boo graphic. The patch should be ready tomorrow.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Made a minor update for both Alternative Invasion and Sheath Partakes In an Interlude
The skeletons in Sheath's level now have a death effect, just in case.
Bullet Bills in Alternative Invasion have been replaced with their SMBX counterpart to better fit with the theme of the level
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Kil

Post by Kil »

Someone should widen the time window for double tapping down. If someone can post the lunadll.txt for the final level, it'll be easy.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Kil wrote:Someone should widen the time window for double tapping down. If someone can post the lunadll.txt for the final level, it'll be easy.
I really should have mentioned before that the switching code works fine for me in Qraestolia Caverns. Just use the code from that.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Item babysitting may cause some problems.
SAjewers's fix broke Pauleen. She originally consisted of two spirites. Frendly Pauleen who controlled the movement, and a trigger that when collected triggered the apocalypse. in order to fix properly, this seems to require reverting the level back to an earlier version with the rising lava. Did you not test this, or am I playing a wrong version?
Newermind, I playing a wrong version.

Edit: Removed the invisible floor, P-switch does not fall trough the floor anymore. Moved the cloud next to the midpoint lower so it is harder to miss. One of the genies is a bit lower too so it does not act weirdly. This level is beatable if you know how.
Attachments
HorikawaOtane-ItemBabysitting.rar
(32.1 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

After seeing shemps playthrough of the boss, I'd honestly recommend you guys to enable flight mode for Demo if at all possible (vertical "hopping" flight, not SMW cape flight) and get rid of the "jumping on donut bullets" idea. It's really stupid and seems freaking annoying and buggy, especially since you're supposed to PICK THEM UP and throw them at the boss, not to mention they EXPLODE ON CONTACT.

Seriously, just give the boss 30 health, enable flight for Demo and forget about the stupid bullet jumping idea.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Just a note that I didn't make the Boss, that was Sep. My contribution was to make it much more manageable. In its original form, it was downright impossible.

What you see there is the best I could get without pissing off Sep.

Also, the Demo/Iris switching works for me. I even just tested it.

EDIT: OK, just saw the video. Yes, you are supposed to pick them up and throw them. No, you're not supposed to jump on Science or use the ammo as platforms. Does it still need work? Clearly, but anything we try to do gets immediately short down by Sep.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Speaking as the one who authored the original buglist entry, I think all that's needed for the Science battle is to change the "tutorial" room so it teaches the player to pick up and throw the donuts. With that knowledge, you don't need to attempt any chained bullet-hopping against Science, making the fight much more manageable (and, in my opinion at least, enjoyable). It's also - I have to assume - a much simpler fix to make than trying to further adjust the boss battle itself.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Yeah, my contribution to the boss was doing a fair amount of LunaDLL coding to make a hurtbox on the doughnut blocks that was smaller than the standing platform.

I also now find the final fight quite fun and generally like everything in that level except pseudoscience.

Honestly it is really annoying me how much Dr. Shemp hates everything. The final level is actually quite cool and I like it and I am sick of how much negativity towards the game I've picked up by watching these videos. Having been ahead of Dr.Shemp in playtesting up to world 4 I absolutely loved the entire game, it has so much character and is genuinely overall really fun. But then looking back at Dr. Shemp's playthrough he absolutely hated a lot of the levels I just thought were meh.

Now, I'm sorry if I've insulted you Dr. Shemp - and I appreciate you playing through the game - but I honestly don't want to base the design decisions of this game around players that hate playing it. Because that's hardly the target audience. >:|
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

While that might work, I'm still not happy about the boss, and really wish something better could be done with it.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The final boss does not need to be the hardest boss in the game.

HeavySigh-SuperHighSkyway
Can't skip the level anymore + made unfair jump easier.

Wooden Platforms That Hang in the Sky
Added a coin arrow.

Spin! Pierce the Heavens!
The cloud with the sign on it is easier to reach. The instant warp works fine.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxij3Y ... sp=sharing
Narolas

Post by Narolas »

In response to the text box in Poison Tree (the one about how I think the "pipes under plants" rule is silly and I liked it better without pipes)
Yea, you guys are right, and I have to apologize on this.

I honestly forgot if it was still in, I think at the time I was so happy with how the level looked that having to add all those pipes made me angry, because I've always thought that "plants need pipes" rule was silly. It honestly looks fine still, and the level is a lot less frustrating as a result, so it was good criticism.
I guess I didn't think enough about it, because it was dumb, and disrespectful to the judges/reviewers, to add that stuff in.

So ... yea. Should I remove it myself and upload you guys the fixed version ? Or is someone else doing that already ?
Last edited by Narolas 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.

Post by docopoper »

Narolas wrote:So ... yea. Should I remove it myself and upload you guys the fixed version ? Or is someone else doing that already ?
I did that a while ago. :P Though good - I'm glad you are ok with it.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Poison tree has some suff in the bug list. Has it been fixed?

XutaWoo-Twinkle Tower
Widenet the end platform to prevent falling after the leek.

Kuribo-Wooden Platforms Hanging in the Sky
Corrected the player 1 starting position.
Attachments
Morelevels2.rar
(10.72 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Last edited by Willhart 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
docopoper

Post by docopoper »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote: Custom C++ code blah blah:
Ow! Why is Calleca able to pass through walls? : ( It is suprising and unexpected! There should be a ceiling or something at the start to show off this capability before you think the ? blocks will protect you, hide under them, and then die horribly.
Why does spin-jump not bounce on her? You can normmaly bounce on thwomps. : (
In the places where the land goes up and down Callecoa goes behind the brown foreground stuff disguising how the ground-movement works, thus ruining the illusion.
You can do the infinite powerups via filtering glitch on this level.
Damn, I was hoping people wouldn't notice the foreground thing too much. I wish there was a layer between NPCs and tiles for this. Can anybody think of a way to get around it?

The reason you can't bounce on Calleoca is because she isn't actually a thwomp and it would both break the level and be really hard to do technically. The passing through walls is probably something I could fix now actually - which would actually fix the foreground thing too. So I might do that unless anybody has any objections since it would require me to make a new DLL.

Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Question: Are we planning to leave the final level's name simply as "Final Battle" or "Final Battle (Name Pending)?" Or are we planning to ultimately give it a different name?
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

Pretty sure rao once requested that "(name pending)" was to be included in its actual name. I too like it silly like that.

Anyway, updates updates updates!!

-CHANGELOGS-
Canopy Journey
- Misspelling fixed
- Made it so that the textbox in the middle of the second tree second is an NPC instead that doesn't interrupt the player when they reach it.
- Cleaned up graphical errors related to sizables going in front of background objects in the full game.
- Added a secret for cool people to find. :00
Download

Peculiar Night
- Fixed spelling & grammatical errors
- Fixed some blocks being on the wrong layer
Download

The Descent/Descend
- Fixed spelling & grammatical errors
- Filled up various holes the player could wall glitch themselves in.
- Filled the annoying slope-jump hole at the beginning of the level with water. (It's doable, but I was getting bloody tired of not feeling in control on whether or not I would make it during the latest tests, so yeah.)
- Made the first Furba switch easier to reach.
- Changed the ending of the level into the floor collapsing and revealing a sign saying "BASE ↓", connecting the level to "The Subterranean Base" instead of leaving the level on such an empty (and now considerably a plot-hole) end. (Thanks, King12!)
Download

Fahren
- Made it so that collecting the leek at the end of the sidequest mixes up the entire town (NPCs change location and their dialogue gets altered) as to give a little more of a reward for actually completing the thing.

Now to hope people actually realize this change when playing. :P
Download
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Someone on the buglist wrote:The mini-tutorial room introducing special donut shooters before the Science battle teaches you that you can ride the donuts - but not that you can pick them up. The first phase of Science reinforces that wrong lesson because you can win by riding the donuts up to Science’s alcove and letting the donut shooters push Science out of the invisible Mother Brain “glass.” But those wrong lessons lead to a frustrating and unwinnable second phase of Science, until a player stumbles on the discovery that donuts can be picked up. Suggested fix: require player to pick up and throw donuts in the mini-tutorial room to advance (say, by killing a Spike Top or other non-jumpable, non-fireballable enemy).
This happens all the time in godmode, but the problem comes from the LunaDLL gimmick that spreads the donuts which I was never in favor of.
Doctor Shemp wrote: Everyone responsible for this level (Docopoper, SAJewers & Septentrion Pleiades, according to the level list) is a massive hypocrite. You all gave whoever it was so much shit for creating that horrible touhou bullet hell shit level in MAGLX with the full knowledge that you had created your own touhou shit, complete with music, with rinka spam fucking everywhere and made it the final level in this episode - the capstone to the whole game. You criticised him for trying to force bullet hell gameplay into a platformer while doing the same thing yourself and introducing a brand new mechanic with shithouse explanation on the spot as well. You are all such hypocrites.
Okay, someone has to call you out on all your bullshit. You Godmoded thorough the entire second half of the game, and then you turn into a total bitch everything you see something vaguely technical.

The first science, you pretty much suicided as fast as possible with out stopping to observed and then blamed me for you dying all the time. Have you even stopped to consider that throwing yourself at the boss was the reason for you losing all your hits in ten seconds. No, of course not, it was not because you were godmoding through the entire game without realizing that you my have surpassed your skill level and then say, well this boss is going to suck because all bosses in SMBX should be Boom Boom.

You seem to have a philosophy of bass battles should never make a player try to figure things out and be very easy. How the hell am I suppose to make a boss easy enough for a player who runs blindly into the boss while making it fun for a person who is actually competent at the game?

You continued to godmode the rest of the entire game, and then call out the bosses on their "difficulty" as if you were a competent judge of that. You continued to bad mouth ever level you godmoded, and praise the ones you manage to pass without godmode.

The last Science pretty much is hard, but he takes forever once someone resorts to godmode, because godmode is pretty much tankmode and not launch a competent attack mode. Everyone who turns it on take forever.

But you're a completely different story. You act as if every gimmick native to SMBX is a arcane mystery. You actively look for excuses for hate bosses as you go into them.

1. The donuts being pick-up-able.

This is pretty much something most people who play smbx up to this point would have discovered because most NPCs that you can jump on like that can be picked up. You completely ignored all past experiences and and say how horrible I am for not explaining then.

2. Then you don't even figure out that the boss would be defeated by throwing the object you were holding.

Here's something you probably didn't know: you can throw objects upwards. What obscure sorcery is that? Good thing Nintendo didn't make that a requirement on the final boss of SMW.

3. Maybe the attacks are dodgeable?

Nope, you're just going to use your time honored godmode and bitch about everything.

So in sort, you godmoded through the entire second half of the games, and come into each boss with the mindset "this is the worst sort of difficulty and I'm going to give no thought on how to beat them and say they are unfair".

Also, I never said that bullet hells are a bad thing in SMBX.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Do you remember how good raocow is at picking up things in smbx? Those bullets dont look dodgeable in the slighest and the whole fight is super repetitive. Just make the bullets not hurt the player and call it a parody.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Willhart wrote:Do you remember how good raocow is at picking up things in smbx? Those bullets dont look dodgeable in the slighest and the whole fight is super repetitive. Just make the bullets not hurt the player and call it a parody.
I always knew the anti boss crowd just wanted to make it impossible for the player to actually die on a boss.