(shouting)

A2MBXT beta testing

The second SMBX collab!
sedron
im proud of you kid

Re: A2MBXT beta testing

Post by sedron »

Doctor Shemp wrote:A nicely written follow-up.
Yeah, you're thinking of the right level with that part. That's a pretty good solution for the issue! I'll include something like that when I do the revision later tonight!

Again, thanks a lot for the playtest (and followup!) You guys should see another revision some time tonight.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Since you can't be allowed to leave worlds at any point. Could you at least make it so that when you complete a world - that a direct path from the start to the exit (or a second exit at the start) appears.

It's kind of annoying to revisit a world and have to walk around a long path to get out again.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

I think the player could get stuck in Spin Pierce the Heavens if they get the power-up before switching to raocow. Especially at the midpoint.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Lv27MarkerMMan wrote:I think the player could get stuck in Spin Pierce the Heavens if they get the power-up before switching to raocow. Especially at the midpoint.
Fixed.

Regardinf your level sedron, I don't recall it being that bad, though i seem to recall wishing there was more powerups? I can't remember. And yeah, don't just one person's gripes as truth. I don't like kicking goopas or plants not in pipes. Others may. Shemp might not like something, while others may like it.
docopoper wrote:Since you can't be allowed to leave worlds at any point. Could you at least make it so that when you complete a world - that a direct path from the start to the exit (or a second exit at the start) appears.

It's kind of annoying to revisit a world and have to walk around a long path to get out again.
I'll look into it near the end.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

After testing my own levels again, I realize that having No Turn Back set to On causes a major glitch in Pet Rock and a really minor one in Load Bearing Bricks. I can either upload a new copy of each, or whoever has the master files can change it. Whichever is preferred/easier.

Sorry bout that.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

WestonSmith wrote:After testing my own levels again, I realize that having No Turn Back set to On causes a major glitch in Pet Rock and a really minor one in Load Bearing Bricks. I can either upload a new copy of each, or whoever has the master files can change it. Whichever is preferred/easier.

Sorry bout that.
Done.

EDIT: I don't see it on in Load Bearing Bricks?
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Hmmmmmm.... Well, if its off, that's a good thing. Thanks mate.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Um, about Science:

I did am completely unfamiliar with the current form. I submitted it with new different background and a more relenting pattern but I don't think it was put in. Now it has the background of an old version with an intro I'm not a all familiar with. What ever happened with this version?

Also, Demo's dialogue doesn't make sense with the plot in the cutscenes as Science is a near stranger.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Um, about Science:

I did am completely unfamiliar with the current form. I submitted it with new different background and a more relenting pattern but I don't think it was put in. Now it has the background of an old version with an intro I'm not a all familiar with. What ever happened with this version?

Also, Demo's dialogue doesn't make sense with the plot in the cutscenes as Science is a near stranger.
If I might suggest a replacement...

Demo: What has Science done?! ...I mean, What did I do to Science?!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Okay, here's another update for Superfluous Security, based on criticisms given earlier. Changes are listed under the spoilers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/669 ... curity.zip
* Fewer Donut Shooters, specifically near the secret exit and the wave of enemies fight.
* Mushrooms have speed set to 0 like Willhart edited, so they won't have a chance to cause any errors.
* Another mushroom was added to the start, and one was moved slightly to make it easier to grab.
* The Goopas were removed from the secret exit hallway.
* Wave 2 of the normal exit fight was very much toned down, and made so you won't get telefragged.
* The non-jump Shemp mentioned was made more obvious.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

SAJewers, Sheath Courage returns is literally unbeatable. I'm posting this now to give you a chance to fix it before the video goes up. Here's what happens:
I enter the boss room (which I didn't know was a boss room at the time) and see a door next to where I am. I go through it to reappear in an identical room, get a super leek, then get transported by a rainbow beam to a black room with a leek in it that I can't get because there's an invisible wall between us. I use ghostytime to get through the wall and get the leek, then nothing happens at all and I'm stuck in the room forever. I quit the game and re-enter.

This time when I get to the boss room, I go to the left, see the boss, kill him, then go through the door. The same thing happens and I'm stuck forever again.

Looking into the editor, I see that both the door and the invisible wall are on layers that I assume are meant to be hidden at the start of the level. I edit the level so that they're hidden, save it and start over. This time the door doesn't appear until I kill the boss and the invisible wall doesn't appear until I get the leek. Once I do get the leek, however, I'm still stuck forever.

So, as it stands, your level is literally unbeatable.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Whoops. I set the warp to the cutscene as an instant warp instead of a pipe warp. Fixed.

EDIT: OK, here we go: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wf6nw ... _Update.7z

I'll also updated the main archive tomorrow morning, and start a new fresh update archive.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Got a link to that fix?
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Just posted it above, but give it a few minutes to upload.

EDIT: Now uploaded.
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Hey SAJ, I found a game-breaking bug in Castle of the World. After you destroy the World (and everything inside) the door that appears refuses to let you go through it, preventing you from finishing the level (and World 7). I went ahead and fixed that and a few other issues I found in the process.

Here's the fixed level.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

SAJewers wrote:Just posted it above, but give it a few minutes to upload.

EDIT: Now uploaded.
It still doesn't work. The only thing you changed was making the invisible wall hidden at the start. It still doesn't actually trigger a cutscene or anything. I'm still stuck in that room forever. Even the post-boss door is still visible from the start. Looking in the editor, you have multiple events like CutsceneLoad and End, End1 etc. that aren't triggered by any other event. Does it have anything to do with those?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The problems with the eow levels sound exactly same as with the first one. You can't hide a regular warp, so the potion doors should be used. Default warp is still accessible on hidden layer. The supposed warp also spawns the player too much to the left or something pushed that smw leek enough to the right for it to be unacollectable. I hope this is not a problem with every EoW level now. I feel like having a dark room after the super leek is over complicating things
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

To compensate for the difficulty of World 5 at the moment I decided to tone down the difficulty of my level. But I also re-did a lot of stuff that'll make it more fun/less waiting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itv51smcu32sc ... ersion.RAR

-Now the water will only hurt you instead of insta-killing you.
-Replaced a lot of electric blocks with some squids (actually made it easier imo)
-Got rid of pointless and risky blocks that were mean.
-Power-ups are easier to get.
-Some graphical changes.

Could someone test it real quick to make sure there's no lag/this version's better?
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

So, following the discussion on the problems concerning the endings of EoW levels, I decided to check all 9 levels for discrepancies. As it turned out, many (if not all) of them were quite bugged with similar problems to the one I faced in CotW, whether they were premature "already collected the leek" endings or other problems accessing the Super Leeks and the actual leeks they represent. In the end, I went and ironed out those problems so that they won't plague other playtesters, and I hope SAJ doesn't mind if I post them here. Of course, I do think Willhart has a point about the darkrooms adding more complications than there need to be, so maybe that idea wasn't thought out that well?

Anyway, here are the fixed EoW levels. Feel free to take care of any EoW bugs I missed!
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

More videos:
City Run
Contains BMD. However, given some of the ducking/sliding obstacles, this may be intentional. I still think it detracts from the level though.
Mantreopolis
See the vid for which words have typos.
Fun Fungus Function
See the vid for which words have typos. I also recommend raising the metal circle just after a thwomp (see the video for what I mean) but that's just a recommendation.
Baker Street
As you may remember from primary school (or may not), sentences have to start with a capital letter and end with a full stop (period if you're American), question mark, exclamation mark, or ellipsis. Also, the hammer bro replacement tends to blend in with the background.
Sheath Courage Returns
Still literally unbeatable due to a bug, even in the updated version you sent me (which didn't fix anything except the invisible wall showing correctly. Getting the leek still doesn't trigger the end of world cutscene. The level itself is fine.

Assuming SAJewers doesn't post a fix himself, I'll try out Joseph Staleknight's fixes tomorrow.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Joseph Staleknight wrote:So, following the discussion on the problems concerning the endings of EoW levels, I decided to check all 9 levels for discrepancies. As it turned out, many (if not all) of them were quite bugged with similar problems to the one I faced in CotW, whether they were premature "already collected the leek" endings or other problems accessing the Super Leeks and the actual leeks they represent. In the end, I went and ironed out those problems so that they won't plague other playtesters, and I hope SAJ doesn't mind if I post them here. Of course, I do think Willhart has a point about the darkrooms adding more complications than there need to be, so maybe that idea wasn't thought out that well?

Anyway, here are the fixed EoW levels. Feel free to take care of any EoW bugs I missed!
Like I said, I only tested it in Another Castle, and that one worked 100%. Looks like the issue is that I'm missing the .lvl extension in naming the warp, which you didn't fix.

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wf6nw ... _Update.7z should work now.
Doctor Shemp wrote:More videos:
City Run
Contains BMD. However, given some of the ducking/sliding obstacles, this may be intentional. I still think it detracts from the level though.
I always thought that was the point, you had to slide under. I personally have no problem with it.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Man, what the hell? The super leak will still not appear for me? What exactly makes it appear? A script? Maybe it has to do something with a decimal number that my Computer does not recognize.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

You probably collected it without noticing due to some poor door placement. The super leeks do not show on the leek counter.

I think the rooms that lead to EoW cutscenes are best done this way.
Place the smw leek to the entrance so it is automatically collected when the player enters the super leek room. Collecting the super leek makes the eow cutscene door appear. Warp can be blocked with two blocks that disappear when the door appears. Player can enter it without help because it's the only way to go. The music should also stop when the super leek jingle is over so it does not repeat.

There is no need for automatic movement or other section
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Willhart wrote:You probably collected it without noticing due to some poor door placement. The super leeks do not show on the leek counter.

I think the rooms that lead to EoW cutscenes are best done this way.
Place the smw leek to the entrance so it is automatically collected when the player enters the super leek room. Collecting the super leek makes the eow cutscene door appear. Warp can be blocked with two blocks that disappear when the door appears. Player can enter it without help because it's the only way to go. The music should also stop when the super leek jingle is over so it does not repeat.

There is no need for automatic movement or other section
There's no way he could've collected it without the event firing because the Super Leek an SMB1 axe.

What's the way I had it originally, but I changed it because someone complained that there should be a way of beating the level that doesn't trigger the cutscene. What I ideally want is for the player to collect the Super Leek, then automatically either end the level or go straight to the cutscene without any input, similar to any other exit NPC. Unfortunately, I can't think of a good way to do it.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

No choise can be made if the movement is automatic. What if there were two doors instead of one? The left one would lead to cutscene and right one end the level. Player could select one of them. The doors dont need to be hidden when placed into separate section. There could also be a sign explaining them both.

Edit: the shorter cutscenes do not even need to be skipped.

Edit2: nevermind there was an update earlier.