(shouting)

A2MBXT beta testing

The second SMBX collab!
Axon

Re: A2MBXT beta testing

Post by Axon »

Just in case you didn't see the edit to my previous post:
In Take It What Now?, is the NPC next to the (invisible) leek supposed to make the leek appear? If so, then the "Leek" event is not working.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

I wonder how long its gonna take for K267 to find this
http://puu.sh/8ydXz.png

Idk, Its really not obvious at all.
Image Image
Axon

Post by Axon »

Mabel wrote:I wonder how long its gonna take for K267 to find this

You can find it if you follow a particular ninji (there's an NPC that hints at that)
Kil

Post by Kil »

Didn't he already find that

He got a hint from a townsperson
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Axon

Post by Axon »

Well I didn't know how he found it. And I didn't think it was not obvious at all to find.
Mabel
Just west of wierd

Post by Mabel »

Kil wrote:Didn't he already find that

He got a hint from a townsperson
I must have juuust missed it then...
maybe I should pay attention to what i read since I had found it by pure chance(missed the jump bcuz im bad)
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Axon wrote:Just in case you didn't see the edit to my previous post:
In Take It What Now?, is the NPC next to the (invisible) leek supposed to make the leek appear? If so, then the "Leek" event is not working.
The leek is supposed to appear next to the talking NPC by the midpoint. I'll look into it tomorrow, if I remember.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Just a short video today.
Nice and Easy
Plains of Ulysses Mad
art thou frustrated
This level can't be entered from the world map. This may be intentional (given the name) but I'm sure SAJewers entered it in his overworld preview video.

EDIT: Also, watch the videos to hear most of the new sound pack in action if you haven't already.
Last edited by Doctor Shemp 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Regarding the Superfluous Security boss, I'm the one who made that mess (I don't really remember the thought process...) So, I'll be the one to fix it if consensus is that it's too stupid.

My thoughts on the boss are under spoilers. If anyone has any ideas on what to do with it or wants to confirm/deny something I say let me know.
As it stands, there are three main ways of dealing with Robirdo. If you know what's coming, you can jump over her immediately and hope to get all three throws in before the fight becomes unmanageable. If speed doesn't work for you, you can concentrate on avoiding eggs and donuts until you have a clear shot, which is slow but doable. Finally, you can choose Sheath and stab her.

Obviously the fight is nowhere near perfect. The Rinkas and eggs don't interact very well, making it easy to lose ammo. The eggs will often bounce off the wall before you can grab them, and the Rinkas/water make it even harder. The water is a huge issue, as it's nearly impossible for a player to know where it'll show up, when it starts/stops, and so on and so forth.

As it stands I think the boss is unfair and not terribly fun. Seriously, I don't know what I was thinking.

The main thing I'd like to do is make the water a lot less random. Instead of little sections of water, I'd make one rising/falling tide that gives the player plenty of time to acclimate to both being in water and being dry.

I'm also totally fine with Sheath wrecking the boss, as is. If I end up making the boss more fair I'll implement something to filter Sheath out.

So, anyone else have any suggestions?
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

Here's all the stuff from my last stream.

~Everything~
Sniffit Replacement's bullets still go backwards when fired to the right.
Should the left-pushing conveyor belt have the arrows point left?

~HUB~
You can go to the bottom of the elevator after riding it up and it won't be there anymore...Also the music starts playing if you go past the hole. And you can trap yourself forever by pressing the button.

~World 3~

Sloppy Sands:
probably a bug: bubbles go through the pipes when in the green switch area.

Plans of Ulyssus Mad:
upwards moving red mushroom is mean; you can't jump the enemy because of the movement.
Fancy guy in infinite extra life room underground (that you can't reach) eventually jumps on top of the lives and then teleports out of the room via glitch.

Art Thou Frustrated:
Doesn't exist.

~World 4~

Intro Cutscene:
'archievements' should be 'achievements' (after the avalanch part)

World Map:
You can enter the abandoned house when standing on the cliff above it.

End Of World Cutscene:
At the start of the cuscene (before the big beam of light) Demo isn't there. Just Iris. They still talk about Demo.
'Nevada shakes roughly' or whetever the line was could probably be done better by having Nevada ACTUALLY shake around a bit instead of just telling us she did.
After the ship explodes the text says 'And thus Demo destroyed the the communist mothership'. Remove one of the 'The''s.

Town:
The really cold giant furba in the icicle mines flies if you drop him without touching him.
The icicle mines contains no icicles.
The chaos room the ninji brings you to. The arrows don't point to anything important, and it is really easy to die without finding the correct way out. *In fact, I do not actually know what the way out is, or if there even is one.* !BUBBLE IS NOT OBVIOUS!
Scarf guy's exclamation point is about 5 pixels to the left of his actual head. It looks weird.
The mountaintop furba's got a weird grammer thing 'distracted by the clear sight on the mountain' should probably be something like 'distracted by the clear sight OF the mountain' or 'distracted by the clear sights he could see while on the mountain' or something.
At what I believe is the repeat point, the music briefly fades to a lower volume.
AUS's avatar doesn't have a facing right sprite.
If sheathe, the furba in the dark repository area turns into a candy. You can still collect it. The frozen furba is also a candy as sheathe.
Pressing the bomb button again in the shop after causing all the shy-guys to leave causes a shy-guy to magically appear out of thin air right next to you (and insult you if you talk to him).
Going up the hidden vine to the thingy in the sky, when you pass the insta-teleport spot...can instant-kill you.
In the hidden-vine thingy in the sky with the instant warp, you can jump through the cieling and get stuck forever. Also the water up there isn't real water.
Also the last tile of the plant to the sky thingy doesn't appear sometimes?
Coins raocow gets from hitting ? blocks are upside-down furbas.
There is a toad that appears at the top-leftish of the map (not up the climb, but at the top of the shy-guy elevator then to the right) when you break the bridge. He appears to have no corresponding toad-location BEFORE the bridge is broken, meaning he appeared out of thin air instead of moving there from somewhere else.
top-left building, in the spot where the building and the snow meet, you can stand on top of the ceiling. And not on a regular floor.
After finding all the furbas and grabbing the leek, when you talk to toad again he says 'I couldn't be ANYMORE grateful' it should be 'any more grateful'.

Rainy Day:
In the secret room under the giant brick, you can jump over the right-pipe because it doesn't extend enough past the top of the screen.
After defeating DR. Wily he still appears for a split second occasionally and there's this wierd 'tick' sound that happens every two seconds or so.

Just Another Screen:
Ups and Downs room. IT'S LIKE FLUFFY QUEST ALL OVER AGAIN~ (I'm even using raocow) Also the door teleport bit isn't properly connected to the layer/door graphic
Round and Round room: It's like Ups and Downs room, but not as bad.
Secret exit pipe's teleport is like one-tile to high, it makes you go through the ceiling when entering
Boswer's death animation is the cat's death animation.

Steel-Works Level thingy:
SMB1 graphics at banana-throwers has cutoff.
The waterfall immediately afterwards does to. As do the other waterfalls that enter the lava.
The flying guys also have a bit of cutoff when you hit them.
Checkpoint room also has cutoff.
You don't have the kill the boss (possibly intentional?)
What's with the one-tile of ladder at the very end???

Swimming in the Rain:
You can get on top of the clouds at one point, and there is weird 'swimming but not in rain' areas up there. (I got the doggie to~ : D)
Note: when at the area where the clouds stop and you can get on top, only the left-half has glitchy water, not the right.

AUS: Winter City:
It says blue goopa but the goopa is purple! (also yellow but it's actually orange)
Anti-Sheathe filter has sheathe block thing (the one that turns you into sheathe).

Out of Season:
In the Booss room with the leak, when the pipe appears it appears on top of one of the grasses.
If you re-enter the underground segment after beating it you appear in the booss room's left wall.

Shelter in the Snow?:
Filters regular powerup to big, but doesn't filter reserve powerup.
The boss room is WEIRD. You can kill the boo from the start with the furbas, and the buttons just unlock a single ice-powerup...Weird.

Snowboardin':
You can pick up the snowboard and instantly kill yourself.
Spinjumping kills you as raocow.
The delay at the start before it actually starts is annoying. It should be at least 3 seconds shorter.
If you get knocked down to your last health you fall off the board and die instantly.
Ghosts do this weird thing where they repeatedly try to chase you then stop, which results in them just jiggling in place.
Are you supposed to be able to play this as Kood? The hiding in the shell thing at the start seems weird. Also he jiggles when on the board and can't hover.
It's possible to land directly on the first cheese if you jump the cliff.
This level is punishing if you die. Wait for so long doing almost nothing to try again...

Johnsain McCain and the Communists:
It's possible to insta-gib yourself on the potekim airship. Go the top path, when you get the the second shell shooter (while big) duck slide on the box under it and unduck before you fall off. Bam, instantly dead.
You can do the duck-glitch on the tank thing you come out of at the start. After you come out of it that is. Bottom-right of it
The door appears but Demo enters the air in front of her automatically.

~~~WORLD 5~~~

World Map:
It does the 'new path appeared' bit for roads and roofs which were already like that. They don't actually change. It's weird.

Intro:
Garish's hitbox extends several pixels above her flower. It looks weird when you bump into things with jumps.
Science says: I BELEVE THAT HER PRESSENCE WILL ONLY BE AN ASSET blah blah. It's spelled 'presence'.

Ending cutscene:
No music at all.
Boring. Needs to go faster. Either with scrolling or with removing some of the massive amounts of empty space between each credits.

Town:
You can get the package to the breadwizard from Ztarwolf multiple times.
The guy near the catllama egg calls them horses.
You can trade in pickles for a coffin multiple times. Without going to get another pickles jar even.
You can trade in the corpse for the kidney multiple times.
Going through the door that opens at the end of the fetch quest freezes the game temporarily. (I was raocow with leaf and a boot.)
The flower in the leek room flies slightly.

Dyin for an Electrifyin:
No background music in first section.

Parc Du Debonair:
No background music.
Science fires her projectiles from an area below where she actually is.
What is up with the random hyper-speed?
Only one powerup...
You can get infinite of a powerup raocow/Sheathe has by entering as him, Demo with spawn with that powerup.

Crazed Circuitry:
Insufficient demonstration of instant-death lazer's instant-death nature. This likely results in one death due to this lack of knowledge.

Fun Times at the Laundromat:
The laundry machine you can enter looks exactly like all the others. Confusing.

I do think you fit this shoe:
Confusing.
No powerups.
The same powerup-replication glitch as the Science fight can be done here.

Grand Trunk Area:
The airship parking has cutoff. The airship with a hill and a pipe in the center specifically.
The blue goopa at the checkpoint says "doesn't take this kindly with strangers, though". I cannot understand that sentence.
The red goopa doesn't even say anything if you steal his bacon-plant.
The heck happens when you jump down from the mid-point area??? The background is totally wrong and the music keeps going after you kill the band and the fish in bubbles???

EuroShell R&D:
The 'goopas fall into lava, rainbow shell comes out' thing in the first romo dysynch's after the first time.
There seems to be no reason that getting to the end should kill the disco-tank.
Uses the slightly-broken jumping toad with Met helmet sprite.

Fun Fungus Function:
The final room has cutoff with the clear-circle background thing not actually connecting to the chain.
If you enter the level with catnip you can eat the toad before listening to his dialogue.

Lightning in a Box:
The powerup filter 2000 pushes you through it's wall to the left.
At the leek-room the whip sound-effect is played every second or so.

Superflous Security:
There are moving leeks. Also, lava. DANGEROUS???
Mecha-birdo is missing her right-wards facing egg graphic.
Mecha-birdo, like most bosses, is completely cheesed by Sheathe. -->> NOT ACTUALLY A BUG MAYBE??? (I enjoyed it, that's for sure)

Baker Street:
The bullets don't come out of the tank's cannon.
Upon exiting the building thing, you come out in the middle of the street with no nearby similiar looking building.
The Iris Stone statue with the midpoint has a spelling error, it needs an empty space before the '('.
The rain has very distinct edges between itself and itself. It looks really weird. Also the bullet bill graphic replacements go in front of it instead of behind.
You can just run fast the end of the level leek.
The previously friendly statues begin to attack you during the second half.

City Run:
The ending, where it stops scrolling sideways or whatever feels very abrupt. The scrolling stop that is, the level ending there is fine.

Sheathe Courage Returns:
Finishing the level with bombs left when you try to enter the door it promptly blows up a bomb in your face, damaging you.
At several points after entering the final door you can still control Sheathe, even though the game keeps taking your control away for a little bit.
Last edited by KingTwelveSixteen 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

...Who?
Mabel
Just west of wierd

Post by Mabel »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:

...Who?
SO I FORGOT THE 1 BIG DEAL

(ill abb. your name correctly next time k)
Image Image
Axon

Post by Axon »

More remarks:

- In Dark side of the sun, the player spawning point is not at the actual beginning of the level (or so it looks like).
- In Abstract assault, there is no music at all in the part after the midpoint.
Mabel
Just west of wierd

Post by Mabel »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:Here's all the stuff from my last stream.

Baker Street:
The previously friendly statues begin to attack you during the second half.
already noted and the last update gives you a warning about this before entering the second half.
I'll take a look at the other stuff tho...

btw had you kept running at the end you woulda found the actual end thats no longer an end(because no one liked it due to being invisible despite being able to just run through it) but a bonus with stuff
Image Image
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Item babysitting by Horikawa Otane.
I have no idea how to beat this level. The door to the p-switch house is closed when you get there, and there seems to be no way to open it. Talking to the npcs does not help, and there are no warps that lead inside the house. There is no hint for how to get in there and it makes me think that the events are not set correctly or something.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

Willhart wrote:Item babysitting by Horikawa Otane.
I have no idea how to beat this level. The door to the p-switch house is closed when you get there, and there seems to be no way to open it. Talking to the npcs does not help, and there are no warps that lead inside the house. There is no hint for how to get in there and it makes me think that the events are not set correctly or something.
There's a P-switch coin that follows you shortly after the midpoint somewhere around all the talking enemies. Don't get it until you get to the door or the level kills you. At least that's what it was in the last version I played of that level. Be careful about getting too far ahead of it, too. In most versions of the level the thing has been notorious for despawning. If you get it too early or it despawns you're screwed.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
Mabel
Just west of wierd

Post by Mabel »

Lv27MarkerMMan wrote:
Willhart wrote:Item babysitting by Horikawa Otane.
There's a P-switch coin that follows you shortly after the midpoint somewhere around all the talking enemies. Don't get it until you get to the door or the level kills you. At least that's what it was in the last version I played of that level. Be careful about getting too far ahead of it, too. In most versions of the level the thing has been notorious for despawning. If you get it too early or it despawns you're screwed.
so this is why I had trouble doing it, I only attempted it once after reaching the end only to find the block never bothered following me
Image Image
Menshay

Post by Menshay »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:Crazed Circuitry:
Insufficient demonstration of instant-death lazer's instant-death nature. This likely results in one death due to this lack of knowledge.
I'm not sure how to respond to this. As the level maker I know it works that way so I'm likely biased, but I think the level design around it makes it clear it's something that shouldn't be touched at all (being at the bottom of pits with platforms above and everything), plus there are Thwomps falling into it and being destroyed. I guess the only two spots where the player doesn't know it's so harmful are the gap at the beginning of the main room and at the beginning of the note bocks+Thwomps section, but I don't feel it's enough to change it.

(By the way, I'm still around and ready to respond and/or make changes if prompted, except for Intro 6 which I ran out of ideas for so feel free to do whatever with it.)
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

8flight wrote:
Lv27MarkerMMan wrote:In Just Another Screen the room with all the blocks that you can pick up can easily insta-kill you if you throw the blocks. That room just seems glitchy in general. Throwing 1 block can cause several to move.
Is there anything else I can use to replace this room? I can't think of another gimmick at this point after using 40.

Should I just put a notification not to throw the blocks into the walls?
I just got an idea.

What if you used those blue npc blocks that glow when you grab them? Couldn't you at least edit how they look before you grab them? It would keep the gimmick practically the same without being as glitchy.

My only problem with the solution you suggested is that a normal throw is the easiest way to let go of the boxes.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Snowboardin':
You can pick up the snowboard and instantly kill yourself. Not much I can do about that
Spinjumping kills you as raocow. Not Muc I can do about that
The delay at the start before it actually starts is annoying. It should be at least 3 seconds shorter.
If you get knocked down to your last health you fall off the board and die instantly. Not much I can do about that
Ghosts do this weird thing where they repeatedly try to chase you then stop, which results in them just jiggling in place. Not much I can do about that
Are you supposed to be able to play this as Kood? The hiding in the shell thing at the start seems weird. Also he jiggles when on the board and can't hover.I've tried to fix this, but can't. Probably just gonna make it raocow-onbly if I didn't already
It's possible to land directly on the first cheese if you jump the cliff.That's why you don't jump, and there's no sign there.
This level is punishing if you die. Wait for so long doing almost nothing to try again...The level is short enough and easy enough that it should be fine.

Sheathe Courage Returns:
Finishing the level with bombs left when you try to enter the door it promptly blows up a bomb in your face, damaging you. I'll look into fixing this if I remember
At several points after entering the final door you can still control Sheathe, even though the game keeps taking your control away for a little bit.If I remember, I"ll fix this.
thanks.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Add this to the Item Babysitting by Horikawa to make the cloud hitboxes more forgiving.
Attachments
npc-26.rar
(155 Bytes) Downloaded 46 times
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The player can't get stuck at the end of the Static Life anymore.
Lunadll.txt for Eow 6 to filter the mount.
Latest version of The Canopy Juorney by Unaniem still had that one spelling error.
The fat green Goopa's first text box had a typo: "outha'" should have been "oughta'"
Attachments
Unaniem-Canopy Journey.rar
(18.8 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Eow6-lunadll.rar
(171 Bytes) Downloaded 48 times
Willhart-StaticLife.rar
(19.51 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

EuroShell R&D:
The 'goopas fall into lava, rainbow shell comes out' thing in the first romo dysynch's after the first time.
I'll just change the generator timing of the four raw resources to 2 seconds and the product to 4 seconds. That'll fix the desynch problem.
KingTwelveSixteen wrote:
There seems to be no reason that getting to the end should kill the disco-tank.
However, I need to wait for your response in regards to the above. Doesn't...
...hitting the switch trigger the lift to disappear, thus dropping the Disco Tank down a pit? I'm unsure as to why that wouldn't kill the Disco Tank.
Also, while I'm at at it, does anybody else have a problem with...
the bullets from the Disco Tank? I must admit, I sometimes get caught out by it mysef. However, I've just noticed that I've accidentally left in a bullet npc text file from back when the level was supposed to be a disco shell ride with the disco tank chasing you.

The bullets are currently going double the normal speed. If anybody else is having problems, we can alwyas remove npc-17.txt from the level folder.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Ok, I have made a huge update to the copy / paste tool in case that helps anyone with correcting levels.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12150
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

raocow wrote:My biggest problem is that a lot of changes are done to accomodate one person, if it's something that is a problem by a lot I can sort of understand, but...
This is an issue I do have. Unless someone else agrees, then what one person says should mean nothing.

EDIT: I think from this point on, changes to levels should not be made unless a majority agree to that change.