(shouting)

A2MBXT - Graphics

The second SMBX collab!
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Re: A2MBXT - Graphics

Post by Chaoxys »

I had to make a fix to the raocow sheets, Chibicow to be specific, just a minor mix up with how his frames were set up while holding an item.
Attachments
toad.zip
(229.57 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Another fix of a larger variety. Basically I noticed that I had some sprites out of order when raocow is holding an item and facing left, so I fixed that.

EDIT- Updated the megaman raocow as well since he had the same issue. I also changed how alignment to match the sheet on onedrive.
Attachments
megacow.zip
(30.6 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
toad.zip
(235.42 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

So when the technology is there, I'm planning to remake the HUD for A2XT entirely with Lua. This gives us a lot more freedom.

One of the things we can do with this is have different icons for individual characters. What kind of heart icons should each character have?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

raocow: kitties that are sleeping when 'hurt'
kood: keep the carrots
sheath: anatomically correct hearts
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Hoeloe wrote:So when the technology is there, I'm planning to remake the HUD for A2XT entirely with Lua. This gives us a lot more freedom.

One of the things we can do with this is have different icons for individual characters. What kind of heart icons should each character have?
demo - windows error messages
iris - mega man x's zero heads in despair

kood - hearts, because hes the sane one
rao - rubber duckies
sheath - a random super-compressed jpg
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

So, fun fact, with modern LunaLua, you can override the previously 'hardcoded' graphics that required the base game executable to be modified. It's just a matter of putting "hardcoded-*.png" files in your episode directory, or level custom graphics directory. No code required, just the right graphics files in the right places.
a2xt_hardcoded.zip
(266.29 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
In this zip I've included PNG versions of the A2XT hardcoded graphics, allowing A2XT hardcoded graphics to be used with an unmodified smbx.exe as long as LunaLua is loaded, even on a per-level basis if one wished. This zip file only includes the hardcoded graphics which differ from the vanilla SMBX graphics.

For a full list of SMBX hardcoded graphics with the vanilla versions, see "Hardcoded Image List of SMBX Engine" on the PGE Wiki

(This capability is also handy if anyone wants to properly resprite clown cars or boots in their levels)
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

And I might just do something with these.

EDIT- Except for Catnip which I made for fun.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

I swear, if you make Paper Demo (or do anything with those), I was praise you for years to come.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Nin wrote:I swear, if you make Paper Demo (or do anything with those), I was praise you for years to come.
Do you mean Paper Demo as in a full sheet, or an actual game, because I posted the full sheet a couple days ago.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Actual game, because Paper Mario hacking is to primitive right now for the Talkhaus to do something with it.

Still waiting for a Kirby or Yoshi's Island hack whenever it happens.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Quick reminder for folks who have started, claimed or completed a costume to post it in this thread if you haven't done so already.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

So I noticed that the current palette for Fire Iris is a bit... odd. Maybe it's just me, but bright purple doesn't scream "fire". I figured I'd take a shot at making some possible alt palettes. Lemme know if any of these are good and I'll update the sheet. Personally, I like the middle one, makes me think of lava.

Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Chaoxys wrote:So I noticed that the current palette for Fire Iris is a bit... odd. Maybe it's just me, but bright purple doesn't scream "fire". I figured I'd take a shot at making some possible alt palettes. Lemme know if any of these are good and I'll update the sheet. Personally, I like the middle one, makes me think of lava.

The idea behind purple was as a replacement for the previous "vomit-yellow" colour. The purple was chosen as a callback to her original colours, and to differentiate her from fire Demo.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Hoeloe wrote:
Chaoxys wrote:So I noticed that the current palette for Fire Iris is a bit... odd. Maybe it's just me, but bright purple doesn't scream "fire". I figured I'd take a shot at making some possible alt palettes. Lemme know if any of these are good and I'll update the sheet. Personally, I like the middle one, makes me think of lava.

The idea behind purple was as a replacement for the previous "vomit-yellow" colour. The purple was chosen as a callback to her original colours, and to differentiate her from fire Demo.
Why not give both Demo and Iris detached flaming hands, like fiery versions of Rayman's hands? That is, they only have hands when they're on fire. That way, you can distinguish between them by the colour of their flaming hands with Demo being red and Iris being green.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Hoeloe wrote:

This is correct.
According to A2MT's reference designs, Iris is supposed to be purple, with a green pallette as a fire sprite. It's also this way in ASMT.
[attachment=1]Super Mario World (USA) - Copy_00000.png[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Super Mario World (USA) - Copy_00001.png[/attachment]

For whatever reason, back in ASMBXT, Iris was made green with a vomit-yellow pallette for a fire sprite. I'm kinda thinking we should just say heck with it and swap those around so regular Iris is purple, and fire iris is green, as was apparently intended.

EDIT: Correction, Iris was in fact made green for A2MT, so Iris being Green is in fact correct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ8ZPugdfy4

Having Iris's fire sprite be purple is fine, especially considering Iris was at one point purple with a green fire pallette.
Attachments
Super Mario World (USA) - Copy_00001.png
Super Mario World (USA) - Copy_00001.png (6.25 KiB) Viewed 7890 times
Super Mario World (USA) - Copy_00000.png
Super Mario World (USA) - Copy_00000.png (6.78 KiB) Viewed 7890 times
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

My issue isn't so much that it's purple, it's that the shade of purple used is a cooler shade which seems more fitting for the ice power up. I'd suggest going for a warmer shade of purple, like this:
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I'd personally go with the pallette used in ASMT, but that's just me.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

There's quite a few purple backgrounds in the package. How does she look against them? All these solid recolours concern me, because they're not designed with the default background sets in mind. I'm just concerned there's so much of one colour that against a solid background that's too close in colour to them, they don't stand out.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Um... guys, I think the raocow graphics aren't quite centred properly...
raocow.PNG
raocow.PNG (51.25 KiB) Viewed 7740 times
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

ztarwuff wrote:Um... guys, I think the raocow graphics aren't quite centred properly...
raocow.PNG
Make sure you have lunaworld.lua and and the toad.ini files.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Oh, I see what the problem is. Those files are located in the Epiosde 2 world folder, whereas the levels I'm testing are in a separate world folder that doesn't contain those files. Shouldn't Lunaworld.lua and the graphics files be higher up the folder structure? After all, the new Toad graphics aren't located solely in the Episode 2 folder.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

It's not graphics, it's ini configs that correct the hitboxes, because the sprites ended up too big, and chaoxys didn't want to redraw them to fit. As for lunaworld.lua, that's the lua file for the entire episode.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

SAJewers wrote:It's not graphics, it's ini configs that correct the hitboxes, because the sprites ended up too big, and chaoxys didn't want to redraw them to fit. As for lunaworld.lua, that's the lua file for the entire episode.
I think you misunderstand me. I find it strange that the player graphics have been altered in the base game folders, but that the ini files that control those graphics are in the episode folder. If someone else from the Talkhaus decides to download the devkit and create a new project, they won't have the ini files, because the ini files are in the Episode folders.

Also, how do the ini files work? I copied them over to my other episode folder and when I try to test a level, it's still not working. Unless... Is this code dependent on the latest LunaLua (because I deliberately downgraded that so I could continue testing the Dark Prince gimmick in my Castle 6 level).
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

yes, it's dependant.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Testing a level recently got me thinking about overworld graphics.

How are we going to distinguish between levels that have a single exit and levels that have more than one exit? I ask because with the last episode, i had huge difficulties distinguishing between the blue and green level tiles. Also, ghost houses and castles/fortress only have one type of tile, so you can't indicate which has more than one exit.

P.S. Would it be a good idea to mark which levels have leeks on the overworld instead of in a Pillar Sanctuary?