pge projectirc.cat.biomario fan games galaxy

firefox related css updates (bbcode/shoutbox) - ctrl-f5 if they're still jacked up for you

A2MBXT - Graphics

The second SMBX collab!
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Re: A2MBXT - Graphics

Postby ztarwuff » 1 year ago

Testing a level recently got me thinking about overworld graphics.

How are we going to distinguish between levels that have a single exit and levels that have more than one exit? I ask because with the last episode, i had huge difficulties distinguishing between the blue and green level tiles. Also, ghost houses and castles/fortress only have one type of tile, so you can't indicate which has more than one exit.

P.S. Would it be a good idea to mark which levels have leeks on the overworld instead of in a Pillar Sanctuary?

Rockythechao
Shapemorph the titlecard into the video, Hoeloe
First name: Michael
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Rockythechao » 1 year ago

Hoeloe's been working on custom HUD stuff for that, though he's currently waiting on certain additions to lunalua to continue -- specifically visibility variables for individual elements of the HUD.

Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Postby Nabe » 8 months ago

Brief update: Pink Sheath is still a thing that's happening, AZCT is just in the process of being tidied up and is in the way. You Are Not Forgotten.TM If someone wants to do Pink Sheath on their own, that's cool, but that shouldn't be necessary unless A2XT is coming out within the next six or seven weeks.

MoneyMan

Postby MoneyMan » 5 months ago

So once upon a time, way back in the mystic days of A2MT, I sprited up a Birdo sprite that replaced her with a toaster robot. It was a pretty terrible sprite altogether: the only "original" thing on it was the toaster head, which looked pretty bad and read terribly. the rest of the sprite was cobbled together from an autobomb. and dont even get me started on that slice of toast. Awful, just awful.

Someone dug around in the old graphics topic, found them, and used them as a Birdo replacement. And on the inside I, I cried. But it wasn't until today, after a week of binging ASMBXT and its sequel, that I decided to do something about it.

Anyways long story short I resprited it to look halfway decent.

npc-39

npc-40

i dont have the masks because god im really fucking tired, but there we go. a non terrible toaster birdo.

Rockythechao

Postby Rockythechao » 5 months ago

Hoeloe and I redid the Pal sprites.

...and then some.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 5 months ago

woah!

that is one cutie puppy
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Postby Chaoxys » 3 months ago

Just a minor thing, but I made some designs for potential Frog Suits for the main characters (as well as some of the alt costumes). Not sure if the Frog Suit will show up later on, but I want this uploaded so if my laptop dies on me or whatever, I'll still have access to it.

Sea Bunny Demo, Merperson Iris, Duck raocow, Frog Kood, Snorkel Sheath.

Mata Hari
dank myms

Postby Mata Hari » 3 months ago

*Thrall voice* That's incredible!

Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Mata Hari wrote:*Thrall voice* That's incredible!
Glad you like them. Once I have confirmation on the Frog Suits inclusion for the next episode, I'll start making the full sheets (provided people are cool with the designs in general of course).

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 3 months ago

I mean the designs are kind of AMAZING so I don't see that being a problem, haha
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Postby Tobi555 » 3 months ago

raocow wrote:I mean the designs are kind of AMAZING so I don't see that being a problem, haha
2017 is gonna be a great year for the Talkhaus :) JUMP 1/2, A2XT EP2, A2MT (assuming we don't finish right before new years XD)

CrappyBlueLuigi
lurkerman fighter of the activeman champion of the doesn't post often

Postby CrappyBlueLuigi » 3 months ago

Chaoxys wrote:Just a minor thing, but I made some designs for potential Frog Suits for the main characters (as well as some of the alt costumes). Not sure if the Frog Suit will show up later on, but I want this uploaded so if my laptop dies on me or whatever, I'll still have access to it.

Sea Bunny Demo, Merperson Iris, Duck raocow, Frog Kood, Snorkel Sheath.
the designs are super nice, but i feel like some of them don't come across well in the "base" style? i get the impression that you started the design work in the paper mario style skins and tried to move that over to the original sprites, maintaining the same level of detail in a space that can't fit it. apologies if i'm wrong, though.

things like raocow's duck bill and duck wings are hard to make out as specifically being those things because there's detail and shading going on in a way that obstructs readability, and iris' head fins blend in somewhat with her hair in a way that makes her look specifically spiky and not finned.

i made some edits to illustrate my points.
(originals in the top left, edits in the bottom right)

take these with a grain of salt, though. i mainly think raocow's bill needs to be changed, since as it stands it looks like a gold blob on his face. it might not be a bad idea to incorporate the orange bits from the paper mario sprite into the regular one, too.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!

Voltgloss
>GET LAMP

Postby Voltgloss » 3 months ago

Those are super impressive. My only thought is that Duck raocow might be more clearly understood as a duck if he had some kind of hood/headpiece. I didn't realize what he was until I read the caption.

Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: the designs are super nice, but i feel like some of them don't come across well in the "base" style? i get the impression that you started the design work in the paper mario style skins and tried to move that over to the original sprites, maintaining the same level of detail in a space that can't fit it. apologies if i'm wrong, though.

things like raocow's duck bill and duck wings are hard to make out as specifically being those things because there's detail and shading going on in a way that obstructs readability, and iris' head fins blend in somewhat with her hair in a way that makes her look specifically spiky and not finned.

i made some edits to illustrate my points.
(originals in the top left, edits in the bottom right)

take these with a grain of salt, though. i mainly think raocow's bill needs to be changed, since as it stands it looks like a gold blob on his face. it might not be a bad idea to incorporate the orange bits from the paper mario sprite into the regular one, too.
Those look much better, and just a side thing, but you are half right. I did make the paper ones first, not expecting them to catch on design wise, but there were no complaints on discord, so I felt I should at least try to get some base work made for them, but it was late and I was rushing, ect.

CrappyBlueLuigi
lurkerman fighter of the activeman champion of the doesn't post often

Postby CrappyBlueLuigi » 3 months ago

hey no sweat bud, we've all been there! and you're a competent pixel artist; i have no doubt that if you went to work on these more, you'd find room for touch-ups. the designs themselves are really neat and capture the personality and perception of each character well. from here, it's just a matter of execution.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!

Rockythechao

Postby Rockythechao » 3 months ago

me over two years ago wrote:I dunno. At the very least I think I've discovered my true calling in the form of pixeling a giant chicken with an eye on its' breast, so I'mma sprite these four regardless... after I finish the uncles, anyway.
THE PROPHECY HAS BEEN FULFILLED
(the other three are also done but they're staying in the a2xt2 dev discord channel for now)
(and I'm just now noticing a few bits of banding in this sprite so I'll have to go back and fix that later)

Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Rockythechao wrote:Image
THE PROPHECY HAS BEEN FULFILLED
(the other three are also done but they're staying in the a2xt2 dev discord channel for now)
(and I'm just now noticing a few bits of banding in this sprite so I'll have to go back and fix that later)
WOW! That's awesome Rocky I can't wait for A2XT Ep.2 :D

Rockythechao

Postby Rockythechao » 3 months ago

Grandma Generator and the other Elders will be in Ep. 3. There might be some stuff related to them in Ep. 2, but they won't appear themselves.

Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Rockythechao wrote:Grandma Generator and the other Elders will be in Ep. 3. There might be some stuff related to them in Ep. 2, but they won't appear themselves.
Oh that's right I got the episode for the elders confused my bad XD

Rockythechao

Postby Rockythechao » 5 hours ago

New logo:

ano0maly
Retired Tester

Postby ano0maly » 2 hours ago

Wow. That feels very different from other projects talkhaus produced.
Image << Click!

Fan of the following:
Image Image

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Postby Willhart » 2 hours ago

Rockythechao wrote: New logo:
Looks awesome. I hope we get a new title screen to go with that too, or maybe having it on the intro cutscene and credits is enough. I wonder how feasible it'd be to make custom main menu on the first level that opens when the episode is started? Launcher would lead player there anyway, and it'd be cool for managing options and such, and maybe even save files and progress. I guess one problem would be, that returning to that menu would probably require going trough the default one or restarting the game. I could still see something like that to be both very pretty and flexible, at least more so than the original.
Starting a new LP Here. Do give the game a look if you find it interesting.

Return to “A2XT”