(shouting)

Isrieri's Huge Review/Critique Thread

The second SMBX collab!
Axon

Re: Isrieri's Huge Review/Critique Thread

Post by Axon »

Thanks for the feedback!

Ann Brown and the Fountainhead
- The bank section is kinda short, though. However, it's true that the timing for jumping on the two cart stepping stones can be a little unintuitive. I'll see how I can mitigate this.
- Or since he's a financial manager: "Bernard L. Lakitoff"
- Yes, I think I'll replace the npc.
Also, do you think I should make the boss a little longer?

Industrial Pandemonium
- The main section's music is from Jazz Jackrabbit (planet Industrius). There's some pretty good music in that game.
- Hammer suits might be just a little too powerful, but I'll investigate ice flowers.
- Maybe I should try to make to make the blocks under her look more "hittable". Once you know how to hit her, however, 10 hits could be reasonable (the player can't kill the boss so quickly that he doesn't have to dodge attacks from the fake Demos).
Panic Attack in High Altitude
Yes, I guess 5 clouds would probably be more reasonable.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Oh wow, thanks, I thought my level wasn't going to get reviewed, but it did! ^^;
The love frog can be easily removed, I just figured it'd make that particular platform a little more tricky but I guess its not a good idea after all. I'll definitely darken the glass a bit, shouldn't be a big problem to do. A plant-y block might be a bit tougher, the extent of my abilities with custom graphics outside of using GFX packs for SMBX would just be making hue/saturation adjusts, but I'll see what I can do. Again, thanks for the feedback, I'm glad to see the underwater section particularly wasn't much of an issue under than the koopa generator thing!
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Doctor Shemp wrote:I'm surprised you gave my level Don't Panic! Just Chill a Decent and not worse.
Go play raocow's Workday and My Heart Burns For You.
raekuul wrote:Why were you expecting a stopwatch in Approaching the Sand Temple?

As far as it being meh, do you have any suggestions, and did you go for the Raocoins?
I did not get the raocoins, but I knew where they all were and could have bothered to get them if I felt like it.

I was expecting a stopwatch because everyone forgets that item exists in the game. When you had all those SMB2 plants and things, I thought you might have one snuck in there to use it for something. But alas.
As for making things better...errrm. I couldn't really think of much, which is why I didn't say anything. I suppose what I would do is go back and count the number of screens you have. Count out a new section by n screens - 2. Get rid of the wizard boss at the end, and put the midpoint there instead. Plonk down a warp to the new section and think of something that would work with your level. Its kind of in the desert, so maybe a desert ruin, or a cave would work well. And try and come up with some more stuff. Try to find a way to use a P-Switch. No one uses the things. And I would love for stopwatches to come into play, even as just a powerup.
Axon wrote: Ann Brown and the Fountainhead
Industrial Pandemonium
-Sounds like a plan. The carts were my main concern. I like the security system bit.
-Yes that's amazing you're brilliant. :0
-I think the boss is fine as it is. Because touching the teeth is instant death, making the boss longer adds little to the level.
-I must look into it!
-I personally think breaking levels is fun. But I understand not wanting to let folks just destroy everything. There's a lot of good setups you have going on. Ice flowers would definitely be very helpful without going overboard.
-My main concern with the hitpoints is that because of the other two forms it tips the battle in favor of the boss rather than the player, who has only whatever they bring in with them. The two demos can be very difficult to manage for a newb player, who may think he has to kill them instead of trying to stay under pandemona's bot thing. 8 is still a good number of hits. As to the blocks, maybe try making them dimly flash?
Validon98 wrote:Oh wow, thanks, I thought my level wasn't going to get reviewed, but it did! ^^;
I enjoyed what you did with the second half. I can't remember if I found the leek or not. I know its up over the level but I can't remember how to get there.

EDIT: I would like to petition that Layer Shenanigans be renamed to Treacherous Layer 2.
Axon

Post by Axon »

Man, after reading the whole document, I realize just how lenient my criticism of the more mediocre/bad levels was. I guess that, after going through a boringly mediocre level (like those 10 levels by the same author that suffer from a really bad case of "quantity over quality"), I just want to pass as quickly as possible to the next level (which means a more bare-bone and neutral-like criticism).

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I agree that Willhart made super great levels.

Your suggestion about Adventure's End (that it should be completely reworked to not be about pitfalls at all) is great and I don't know why I didn't think about it.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Isrieri, when you played A Castle Level, where did it start you? I ask because your review only talks about one portion of the level. If the level started you where I think it started you, you missed a LOT of the level's content and pretty much its entire point (through no fault of your own).

EDIT: In particular, please let me know if you saw all the content referenced in my review here. If most of what I'm talking about is unfamiliar, then Mikkofier needs to fix the start point and you should play the level again.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt

Post by Isrieri »

Voltgloss wrote:Isrieri, when you played A Castle Level, where did it start you? I ask because your review only talks about one portion of the level. If the level started you where I think it started you, you missed a LOT of the level's content and pretty much its entire point (through no fault of your own).
Ah. I had moved the start point to Section 4, which seemed appropriate. Because of the nature of the content and because of the tripped midpoint, I had assumed that the start point was in the wrong spot. I have played through the whole stage regardless.

......My comments still stand though. The level is not conceptually bad. Few levels were. Like the other stages, this feels like he had an idea for a story, and he phoned in a level to hold it up.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

It's actually NOT over the level. That warp puts you in the room, but on the wrong side, although it gives a hint as to where to find the actual warp for the leek.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

My my, what to do with those other two levels, they dont seem very saveable the more I look at them...
that backtracking part to TCATT is really dumb...
I can kinda see a bit more I can do to the switch palace.
Elevator seems good with a few more tweaks here and there...
Image Image
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Review responses:

Demo's Journey Through Time
  • I'm not completely certain I know which bit you're referring to here, is it the section just before the spikes?
  • That's a fair comment, especially about the goopas.
  • The intent of the quicksand areas was to "quicksand hop". The idea was to lure the boos into the saw blades and then time your jumps to hop past the saws. I can see why this section might be annoying, though, so changing it is something I'm not against doing.
  • The enemies in the present were an effort to make it less dull - without them, the present is mostly just walking from one place to another. At the very least, the hands should stay, but I can cut down most of the rest of the enemies there.
  • Which one? There are two, but I assume you mean the one that is just out in the open.
The Descent of Nine
I can certainly understand that if you didn't like the original Luna Tower, that you weren't going to like this level, as it is intentionally, as you put it, "more of the same". However, you did give an interesting comment about making it more about puzzle solving and mind games than difficult platforming. I'll see how some others react to it before I go about rebuilding the level, but if enough people agree, then I'd be willing to repurpose it to a more puzzle-oriented level.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Amazing Plumber Nightmare 64
-I thought it would be funny ending the level if a player tried to go through the castle door. The upper pipe also warps you back to the same room.
-Don't actually remember why I put those blocks there.
-Really? Cut off. Better look into that. I thought I scoured the entire level.
-Yeah, I'm going to have to work on that clue a bit. Players have been told throughout the entire level precisely what route to take in the second half. The clue is in the midpoint room, which is why all the incorrect pipes lead you back to the midpoint room.

Solution: Players are supposed to follow the colour order: pink, orange, blue, yellow. Any route they traverse in that first level that does not follow that colour order is incorrect.

This same rule applies in the second half. The midpoint room shows blue top-left, pink top-right, orange bottom, yellow bottom-right. Hence, they're supposed to deduce that the route is top-right, bottom, top-left, bottom-right.
So yeah, I need to work on the clue a bit more.

Final Boss Candidate
Yeah, that's a huge work in progress. I'm not entirely sure if I quite like it.

Gravity Falls
The lobby is there for flavour purposes and to point out the existence of the joke in case somebody missed it. Perhaps I should move the first power-ups into the lobby so it's not a complete waste of space.

Also, I've checked the link to my level , Shroom Samba Spelunking, and it seems to be intact/ Did you really have problems downloading it?

EDIT: Oh geez! Why do I have a filtermount LunaDLL command in Amazing Plumber Nightmare? That's just stupid!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Isrieri, if you go on another review run (there's a level by Franky that wasn't placed on the wiki that you should probably test), could you play you play through all the levels in the Approved with Changes list here:

http://asmbxt.wikia.com/wiki/A2MBXT_Lev ... th_Changes

If you want, go through the rejected levels as well, just in case.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

DAMNage and Damnation
- It's just a sort of thing where the thwomps are recognizable, behavior-wise, as thwomps, so it doesn't really feel necessary to change that. If other people feel it is, then I will, but as is now I feel like it's safe to keep them as-is.
- Fixed, getting the new version up soon.
- Honestly, where the key is and where the keyhole is, losing the key would be basically akin to restarting anyway, so in the end that'd be a mostly ineffectual change anyway. But like with the thwomp replacements, I'll change it if it's a concern of other people, too.
- As for the spinach, that's actually there to give Sheath a chance at the level, as she can't do the shell launchers that well. Getting the secret exit with someone else, then, is supposed to be based around coming into the level with flight and keeping it with you through the entire stage. A bit harsh, I suppose, but the secret exit could just lead to a more hidden bonus once the overworld's being setup.
- For the shell launchers, the first and third are a matter of aiming your jump for a shell position in the center of the arc, then manipulating your velocity in mid-air. The second one you just sort of have to brute force and manipulate your bounce height. I tried making the shells not harmful to make the jumps more reliable, especially the two where you're jumping into the stream, but it seems like they already have that property, and it's removed upon being made into a projectile.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt

Post by Isrieri »

Hoeloe wrote:Demo's Journey Through Time
-Yes. Before the spikes.
-You can keep some of the bats, but maybe get rid of the ones that fly up at you rather than down. There's more ways to make levels interesting than adding enemies. I'm only being this nitpicky about it because you're in very cramped corridors. I really want this to be in W-3. Maybe I'm crazy.
-Yeah, the one out in the open.
ztarwuff wrote:I've checked the link to my level , Shroom Samba Spelunking, and it seems to be intact/ Did you really have problems downloading it?
There was no level in the file. A folder with graphics, but no level.
XutaWoo wrote:DAMNage and Damnation
-The thwomps have a flat top that looks like the rock the level is made out of. Its just a few keystrokes in notepad. I agree, a very minor change that won't matter much, but it will make your level better.
-I see! That makes sense.
SAJewers wrote:Isrieri, if you go on another review run (there's a level by Franky that wasn't placed on the wiki that you should probably test), could you play you play through all the levels in the Approved with Changes list here

If you want, go through the rejected levels as well, just in case.
Sure thing. I'll look through them and update the list down the road. Another week maybe. I'll probably just repeat what you guys have already said.

EDIT: Just like the main list, I've got levels it won't let me download. Overgrown Underground & Busty Cave

I'll not be going through rejected levels unless the maker specifically asks me to.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt

Post by Isrieri »

Can someone please tell me how to beat Tag Team Puzzle?
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Gulp! :(
Now, I'm not used to criticism this harsh, so I have to admit your scathing reviews kind of shook me up. As you can see my levels are pretty amateurish (you hit the nail on the head earlier about me having an idea and quickly making a level based on it), so to me this kind of feels like a weekend chef being yelled at by Gordon Ramsay. My hands are actually shaking as I'm writing this, no joke.

To be honest, I feel kind of humiliated, being highlighted like that, with the whole intermission thing, but I won't hold it against you. You're here to review, not to consider if criticism hurts our feelings, after all.

I'll try those levels you mentioned, try to fix some things you brought up and maybe answer your criticisms more precisely after I compose myself...
TL;DL: Waah, Isrieri is a big 'ol meany!
Anyway, sincere thanks for the feedback! I know there's some things there I disagree on (matters of taste), but feedback and criticism are essential to make an at least decent level.
E: Also, it just hit me that, holy crap! I made TEN levels? I have too much free time...
Last edited by Mikkofier 9 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt

Post by Isrieri »

Mikkofier wrote:Gulp. :(
YOU. I want to talk to you.

Don't feel too bad. I was pretty harsh with...well...everyone. I may appear like I'm pissed in the review but I'm not.

We've all got to start somewhere. Here are the very first levels I ever made. They are not that good either. But through making them (and my buds shitting on them), I learned more and more about what good design was.

I gave you the same advice I got myself: You make some levels, you get yelled at because they are terrible, and then you take the criticism and fix the better ones. And with practice, you get the hang of what makes a good level and soon enough you'll be able to churn out a whole game full of awesome content.

Go play the other good levels to get a feel for why they're good. Especially the ones I pointed out to you.
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Aw man, looks like I got a lot of work to do, especially on Chromaquiz and Cream Soda Floats.

Still, it's nice to see someone who knows his way through level design here. I'm sure that once I address all the criticisms and frustrations brought up, the levels can stop being so horrible. Thanks for the critique, and hopefully I'll get everything fixed up soon!
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Isrieri wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:Demo's Journey Through Time
-Yes. Before the spikes.
-You can keep some of the bats, but maybe get rid of the ones that fly up at you rather than down. There's more ways to make levels interesting than adding enemies. I'm only being this nitpicky about it because you're in very cramped corridors. I really want this to be in W-3. Maybe I'm crazy.
-Yeah, the one out in the open.
-Okay then!
-Yeah, I know. The issue was that it's quite difficult to produce two different levels that work with the same basic environment. I tried my best, but I think you're right that it doesn't need quite the volume that there is. I'm glad people are enjoying this level, though. It was a bit of an experimental concept, but it seems to have paid off.
-Great, will do.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?

Post by Mikkofier »

Monoland
Mean Ol' Isrieri wrote:Also, put your screen warps all the way on one side of the screen. And if you don't make
multiple warps all across the side of the screen, make a ceiling that funnels you to where you're
supposed to go
. Wouldn't that make more sense? That's maintaining atmosphere
I'm not sure what you mean, could you elaborate? Also, I've made it so that the Sheriffs can be killed with fire (not uploaded yet)
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt

Post by Isrieri »

I've not updated the list yet, but here's my opinion of Franky's level.

Muaha - Good
  • This is a solid level for the postgame or World 8. I liked it.
  • I recommend removing the intro message each time the stage begins. Its annoying, because you'll die a lot of times. How about a blinking neon sign that says “Hurry!! -->” at the start of the level?
  • The only thing that's really aggravating is having to kill those first two thwomps with the shell. The conveyer belt makes it very easy to screw up. Maybe putting two regular blocks underneath the first thwomp would deal with that. Up to you.
  • I must demand one change: Use the default SMW Night background instead of the one you have. That shade of blue plus the blinking stars makes everything much easier to see.
  • I think my Demo count for this was under 30. I must be getting better or something.
Mikkofier wrote: I'm not sure what you mean, could you elaborate?
I mean that your warp to the town is halfway onscreen and halfway off. Put it all the way onscreen by moving it half a tile to the left. That way, I don't have to sit there running against the screen while I'm waiting for the warp to trigger. And if you don't want to bother making warps all along that side, then make a little wall there that funnels people to your warp so they can't try to jump to the next screen and fail.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?

Post by Mikkofier »

-Kurt Vonnegut
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Isrieri, I want to express my thanks to you. It's always a pleasure to have someone look at my work (Pierce the Heavens). Your critique is highly appreciated and I'm also glad you enjoyed the level :).
Lightning is the ultimate force. All shall bow to the might of Lightning, or it will strike you down.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Isrieri wrote:I've not updated the list yet, but here's my opinion of Franky's level.

Muaha - Good
  • This is a solid level for the postgame or World 8. I liked it.
  • I recommend removing the intro message each time the stage begins. Its annoying, because you'll die a lot of times. How about a blinking neon sign that says “Hurry!! -->” at the start of the level?
  • The only thing that's really aggravating is having to kill those first two thwomps with the shell. The conveyer belt makes it very easy to screw up. Maybe putting two regular blocks underneath the first thwomp would deal with that. Up to you.
  • I must demand one change: Use the default SMW Night background instead of the one you have. That shade of blue plus the blinking stars makes everything much easier to see.
  • I think my Demo count for this was under 30. I must be getting better or something.
Mikkofier wrote: I'm not sure what you mean, could you elaborate?
I mean that your warp to the town is halfway onscreen and halfway off. Put it all the way onscreen by moving it half a tile to the left. That way, I don't have to sit there running against the screen while I'm waiting for the warp to trigger. And if you don't want to bother making warps all along that side, then make a little wall there that funnels people to your warp so they can't try to jump to the next screen and fail.
Is this level going to be used or something? I'm surprised it was dug up. :)

Edit: I actually restarted this level from scratch, but my computer broke so I dont have that file.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt

Post by Isrieri »

I've updated the level list with the reviews for the list of levels SAJewers gave me. I sure would like to see what these suggested changes were.

Along with Franky's Muaha and Shroom Samba Spelunking (kind of).
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I was aiming for World 5 or 6 with Adventure's End, which is lower from where it ranked. Currently the edges are much easy to see in the new version, so hopefully it's easier.

I like Lv27MarkerMan's puzzle, except that it required obscure SMBX knowledge. I don't mind running around for a solution but it was very unfair and unclear. There was also a permanent place to get stuck last time I played.