(shouting)

Isrieri's Huge Review/Critique Thread

The second SMBX collab!
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Re: Isrieri's Huge Review/Critique Thread

Post by ztarwuff »

Isieri, how odd, you told me you once managed to download the graphics folder without the level. Oh well... Biggest question I have is did you have any problems with the drill roses? They don't come out of conventional pipes, but their positions are marked by bushes.

Also, given that the enemy placements were the only thing screwed up by the gimmick, I think that's a great achievement. I had to remove a few warp points because they also got displaced, warping players into solid objects for no apparent reason.

I just wish I could figure out how to get the graphics to return to the same location. They're always off by one pixel when they "return" to their original position. It's infuriating.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

The graphics folder didn't have anything important in there. The error I showed you is what happened. I got the folder but no level, as I said.

I did have trouble with the plants. I thought there was going to be a replacement for the grass and I recognized you marked them. Green grass is probably not the best idea though because they blend in with it too well. Recoloring them violet or blue or something would be the way to go.
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:I was aiming for World 5 or 6 with Adventure's End, which is lower from where it ranked. Currently the edges are much easy to see in the new version, so hopefully it's easier.
Are there still pits? Then my point still stands. People won't hate your level, but they'll think you're the bee's knees if you just make a little maze at the end. Maybe throw a blurry P-Switch in there, it being a ghost house.

If you know the solution to Tag Team Puzzle please tell me.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

Isrieri wrote:I did have trouble with the plants. I thought there was going to be a replacement for the grass and I recognized you marked them. Green grass is probably not the best idea though because they blend in with it too well. Recoloring them violet or blue or something would be the way to go.
Well, no, I reasoned that I showed the player that the roses came out of bushes well in advance, so that should have been enough.

I'd rather have the grass blades spattered with blood to show that they're dangerous. Violet or blue is just silly.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Isrieri wrote:If you know the solution to Tag Team Puzzle please tell me.
The solution would be hard to put into steps. I have an hour long video of me trying to figure it out. It took over two days. Someone had to tell me that only fireballs, not iceballs, can go through a character's block. Also, I edited my way out of a permanent dead-end. http://youtu.be/9SRXczuZPdA
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Isrieri wrote:If you know the solution to Tag Team Puzzle please tell me.
I'm not sure that this is 100% the intended solution, and the order isn't completely optimized (looking at it now, I think I was at least switching unnecessarily between Kood/raocow tasks a bit), but it works:
TAG TEAM PUZZLE SOLUTION

-start by going through series of shoe jumps into a hub area with several doors

-go to the far right door, follow series of doors to a sign and a wall of Iris-only blocks. Sign gives hint "Duck above the Iris block"

-Go back through the last couple doors you went through until you are at a door directly above an Iris character block. Duck to use a hidden pipe (you can probably skip going to read the sign if you already know about it).

-use buried goopa in that room to kick the shell into the switch block, climb up to the door there and switch to Iris

-Return to the hub area with iris, take second door from right and use her ice to take out the switch alien and get rid of the orange blocks in that room.

-Go back to hub and use Iris's jump height to get up to the second level. Take the left door and switch to raocow

-Take raocow back through the entrance door to the hub area. You should be in the demo filter/fire cactus/shoe room. Go in the raocow only door

-Dig up buried aliens, freeze them to build a path to the blue switch, hit switch and return (EDIT: I forgot you can ride those things--you don't have to freeze a path, just dig one up and ride it across)

-Switch back to Demo

-Go to the second level of the hub room using the new blue blocks, drop demo's spare fire cactus while in that room, switch to raocow and collect fire

-Go to the second door from the left in the hub room with PPR, use his low fire shot to hit the switch furba

-Go back to the Demo-filter room before the Hub and switch to Demo. You can get raocow/Demo shoes at this point if you want. Get Demo another spare fire cactus.

-Go back to the second level door in hub room, build urn tower or shoe jump up to the Kood block. Drop Demo's spare fire cactus, switch to Kood and collect the fire (you might be able to complete the level with just his ice power and not switch to fire, I didn't try it) EDIT: It is possible to complete with the ice power--you can shoe jump off the stairs in the furba room and still hit it without having to toss the ice ball up through the dotted Kood-only blocks.

-Get Kood a shoe from the Demo filter room (EDIT: you probably don't need the shoe actually if you just jump and use the upward fire toss in the next step, but you will need it if Kood still has ice)

-Go in the far right door in the hub room, use a shoe jump and Kood's upward fire toss to fireball the furba standing on the Kood-only blocks to make a new door appear

-Switch back to raocow, go turn blue switch back off (you can either item juggle him an ice tree from Iris first so you can make a way back with the aliens the same as before, or you can shoe jump back after turning off the switch just dig up an alien and ride it back)

-Get demo a shoe, shoe jump back up to second-level of the hub room now that the blue stepping-stone blocks are off, switch back to Kood

-Go back to the second door from the right in the hub room, use Kood to float to top door

-Get Sheath, go into new door in the room where Kood fireballed the furba, collect the bombs in that room and go back to the Demo filter room.

-Throw a bomb at the bombable block between the door and the Demo-only block

-Take Demo in new demo only door and hit the switch to produce a springboard

-Get Demo a shoe from the Demo filter room and go in the far right door in that room. Get out of the shoe and use it to fight mothercrab and clear the blocks blocking the orange switch (stand next to her so the shoe overlaps the wall slightly, jump up and toss the shoe upwards to hit her, repeat until done) Just watched Sep's video, and wow...I, uh, forgot Sheath can stab mother brain. I just tried her bombs and found they weren't enough, and started looking for another solution.

-Go back to first door on the left in the hub room, springboard up to the orange switch

-Get gourd from the second door on right in the hub room

-Go to the far right door in the hub room, then the far right door again in that room, take out the green switch furba with hammers

-Go in the middle door in hub room, get Demo a leaf

-Go back to the hub room and fly up to exit door
Last edited by kitikami 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Septentrion's criticisms/suggestions in his video have been accounted for in the current version of Tag Team Puzzle available on the wiki. The pipe warp exit where you get Iris has been changed to a pipe graphic so the player won't forget it's there or not realize you might be able to take it to get back, a ceiling was added to prevent the player from shoe-jumping to the place where he got permanently stuck, and a hint sign was added telling the player about the ice/fire quirk that comes into play with Kood. I think those changes cut back on quite a bit of potential frustration with this level.

Also, I had the exact same "why can't Iris make this jump anymore?!?" experience from the end of Sep's video at one point.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Hey guys, I've noticed that a few of you have judged Mechanized Mission. That level was cut from Episode 1 and I have no intentions of putting it into Episode 2, so you can just drop that level completely. The only levels I'm submitting for Episode 2 are Desert Dash: Goopa Brigade! and My Heartburn's For You. Thanks!
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

Time Magazine's Meanest Of The Year wrote:I slid down the hill to kill a guy. And then I got killed by a shell. I am not playing this level
anymore. Denied. Instantly.
If I were to remove that kicking guy, would you consider trying again?
EDIT: 'Cause I just did
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).