LunaDLL/LunaLUA help thread

The second SMBX collab!
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Re: LunaDLL help thread

Post by Rednaxela »

Ahh, thanks. Didn't know about that thread.

Another quick note, this may already be known, but I know the 0x+156 field I found is right at the end of the structure, because the next NPC structure seems to start right at 0x+158.
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

Has anyone discovered the offset that stores how many bombs that the elf is carrying? Want to make sure I won't waste time trying to figure it out if it's already known.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

arabsalmon wrote:Has anyone discovered the offset that stores how many bombs that the elf is carrying? Want to make sure I won't waste time trying to figure it out if it's already known.
I just ran a test, and it's at 0x08... which is funny because the PlayerMOB.h docs say

Code: Select all

+0x08		w	= Water or quicksand timer
... but this apparently is used for bomb count

EDIT: Investigating further, it appears +0x06 is used for the quicksand timer, not +0x08 as PlayerMOB.h says.
romajiQuadhash
typos "raocow" as "roacow" (and I TAS)
First name: Romaji Quadhash
Pronouns: ke/keh/ker

Post by romajiQuadhash »

The links to the tutorials are broken.
Could someone please put them up somewhere again?
Or make a better tutorial given that LunaDLL is seemingly all done?

On a diffrent note, does LunaDLL use a language that something else uses? Would it be possible to code something like python on top of it?
This is a sig
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

To elaborate on what Rocky said...
romajiQuadhash wrote:On a diffrent note, does LunaDLL use a language that something else uses? Would it be possible to code something like python on top of it?
There's two choices of language to use in conjunction with LunaDLL:
1) "Autocode" which was invented for LunaDLL, and is a little scripting thing that's not really a proper programming language but can do the job for some things.
2) Lua, which is a proper scripting language used by many other projects. One niche it's very popular in is game development.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Rednaxela wrote: 1) "Autocode" which was invented for LunaDLL, and is a little scripting thing that's not really a proper programming language but can do the job for some things.
Autocode wasn't invented for LunaDLL, it was an early programming language from the days when languages had to be more machine readable than human readable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocode

Adapted for it, sure, but not invented.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Oh huh, wasn't familiar with it and had just assumed, huh. Learn new things every day.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Rednaxela wrote:Oh huh, wasn't familiar with it and had just assumed, huh. Learn new things every day.
It's not a very often used language.

And for good reason.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

How would one go about into toggling between two different backgrounds via input?

lol nm i got it figured out
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Blue Podoboo

Post by Blue Podoboo »

Is there a way to make the player permanently hold a Billy Gun?
Kil

Post by Kil »

Hoeloe wrote:
Rednaxela wrote: 1) "Autocode" which was invented for LunaDLL, and is a little scripting thing that's not really a proper programming language but can do the job for some things.
Autocode wasn't invented for LunaDLL, it was an early programming language from the days when languages had to be more machine readable than human readable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocode

Adapted for it, sure, but not invented.
That's something separate from what's in Luna.dll. Luna's "autocode" language was made by me in about 25 minutes and was only supposed to be a fast and simple text parser for dragging and dropping filters and simple stuff like the InfiniteFlying command. Essentially, like the npc.txt files of smbx.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Kil wrote: That's something separate from what's in Luna.dll. Luna's "autocode" language was made by me in about 25 minutes and was only supposed to be a fast and simple text parser for dragging and dropping filters and simple stuff like the InfiniteFlying command. Essentially, like the npc.txt files of smbx.
Ah, okay. It shares some similarities (and the name, of course), so I assumed it was a reduced version. I was right about it being created for easy parsing rather than readability, at least. :P
Kil

Post by Kil »

I've actually never heard of the real Autocode before... can't say I'm surprised the name was used though.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Kil wrote:I've actually never heard of the real Autocode before... can't say I'm surprised the name was used though.
To be honest, I was surprised you'd picked that (when I thought you'd adapted it) for LunaDLL, because it hasn't been in use for about 50 years.

Has it been me, I'd probably have implemented my own language too, but more likely just using some basic language constructs, such as single-typed variables, conditionals and loops. A little more complex in the parser, but surprisingly simple when you get down to it.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Kil wrote:That's something separate from what's in Luna.dll. Luna's "autocode" language was made by me in about 25 minutes and was only supposed to be a fast and simple text parser for dragging and dropping filters and simple stuff like the InfiniteFlying command. Essentially, like the npc.txt files of smbx.
I did not remember about this either. I've always just called it lunadll, since thats what people have been using. I do like how efficient/quick it's been to use for the things it can do.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Willhart wrote:
Kil wrote:That's something separate from what's in Luna.dll. Luna's "autocode" language was made by me in about 25 minutes and was only supposed to be a fast and simple text parser for dragging and dropping filters and simple stuff like the InfiniteFlying command. Essentially, like the npc.txt files of smbx.
I did not remember about this either. I've always just called it lunadll, since thats what people have been using. I do like how efficient/quick it's been to use for the things it can do.
When copying and pasting, sure, but the same can be said for just about anything. I mean no disrespect to Kil when I say this, but it's not exactly a well designed language (I would personally give a standing ovation to anyone who could make one of those without at least several days planning beforehand), and while it may work okay for the simple cases, it doesn't really cut it for anything else. I think it's best, if possible, to keep everything, simple and complex, in one place, rather than using Autocode for some things and Lua for others. This is the programming purist in me talking, consistency is key.
romajiQuadhash
typos "raocow" as "roacow" (and I TAS)
First name: Romaji Quadhash
Pronouns: ke/keh/ker

Post by romajiQuadhash »

Thanks for telling me about the Lua thing!
Now I can code in a languge I have some farmiliarity with
This is a sig
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

I'm coming here a lot.

Is there a way to change the sprite sizes of effects? I've replaced Mother Brain with a custom boss, but when it dies it defaults to the normal death animation. When I replaced the effect GIF, it clipped it to fit the normal size of Mother Brain.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

arabsalmon wrote:Is there a way to change the sprite sizes of effects? I've replaced Mother Brain with a custom boss, but when it dies it defaults to the normal death animation. When I replaced the effect GIF, it clipped it to fit the normal size of Mother Brain.
Just did a test, the following type of code works for making an effect differently sized than normal, including larger.

Code: Select all

for i,anim in pairs(animations()) do
		if (anim.id == 69) then
			anim.height = 320
			anim.width = 320
		end
	end
Ittababy

Post by Ittababy »

Okay, how about this?: Air fish.
Though it occurs to me that I could use parakoopas, but I'd rather have those npcs free
A very shy ghost.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

I had the idea of porting a friend's favorite character into smbx as a surprise, but the bed sprites I could find were 194x110 (2x scale) MUGEN sprites. I'd have no prob with that if it weren't for SMBX. So is there a way to import player sprites past 100x100 into SMBX without having Luna draw each sprite based on what the player is doing and just have the "real" player be an invisible hitbox? I'm not offended with anyone if the answer is no, I just wondered if there was a not complicated way of going about it.
SMetoid99

Powerup stacking LUNAdll

Post by SMetoid99 »

Is there a code where for when you get hit, you get smaller or die but you don't lose the powerup you have and for power up stacking in the item box?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

How would I go making a npc, that when spawned starts moving towards the player but is not homing at them. The bullet should move toward the place the player was at the time it appeared. I'd like to make a Snifit that shoots bullets to the direction of the player.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

I know LunaDLL can shut out the jump button, but is it possible to stop the player from jumping while still allowing Kood to float?

Example: Kood walks of the cliff. He can hold the jump button to float to the next ledge. However, at no point does he gain any vertical motion.

Odd question, and I doubt this one is doable, but thought I'd check in with an expert.