(shouting)

A2MBXT Voice Acting Debate (Spoilers in Thread)

The second SMBX collab!

Should A2XT Ep2 Include Voiced SFX for the Uncles?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 9

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

A2MBXT Voice Acting Debate (Spoilers in Thread)

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I think we might want to consider fully voice acted cutscenes for major events in future episodes.
Last edited by Septentrion Pleiades 10 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Re: A2MBXT Cutscenes and Story SPOILERS

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:I think we might want to consider fully voice acted cutscenes for major events in future episodes.
This debate was had in the ASMT 64 subforum and they ran into two main problems with that:
  • There's no agreement as to what Demo's voice should sound like, let alone the others' voices (except raocow's)
  • Who would you get to do the voice well?
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Doctor Shemp wrote:
  • There's no agreement as to what Demo's voice should sound like, let alone the others' voices (except raocow's)
If I remembered correctly, we were highly limited by by technology. If such a thing really becomes a controversy, then well just use other protagonists.
Doctor Shemp wrote:
  • Who would you get to do the voice well?
That is a problem. I can't think of anyone who mastered the mysterious art of talking.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

The mysterious art of talking is a long lost and forgotten art.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

The mysterious art of talking well into a good microphone is harder than it looks, especially when acting. There's a reason voice actors aren't just guys off the street.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Can we get Patrick Stewart to do Demo's voice? That would make me happy.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Doctor Shemp wrote:The mysterious art of talking well into a good microphone is harder than it looks, especially when acting. There's a reason voice actors aren't just guys off the street.
Talking like a convincing person isn't that rare of a skill, especially compared to level design. Good microphones aren't are rare as 3D printers either. We aren't trying to make an entire half hour episode and are probably going to need only three to six people.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:The mysterious art of talking well into a good microphone is harder than it looks, especially when acting. There's a reason voice actors aren't just guys off the street.
Talking like a convincing person isn't that rare of a skill, especially compared to level design. Good microphones aren't are rare as 3D printers either. We aren't trying to make an entire half hour episode and are probably going to need only three to six people.
But you're not aiming to talk like a convincing person, you're aiming to talk like a female demonic cyclops.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Doctor Shemp wrote:But you're not aiming to talk like a convincing person, you're aiming to talk like a female demonic cyclops.
So no one can do an exaggerated silly voice?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

good luck finding a voice everyone agrees to (especially me)
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Doctor Shemp wrote:But you're not aiming to talk like a convincing person, you're aiming to talk like a female demonic cyclops.
So no one can do an exaggerated silly voice?
Everyone can do an exaggerated silly voice, but very few people can do one that isn't shit. Even if they do do one that isn't shit, see
raocow wrote:good luck finding a voice everyone agrees to (especially me)
So if you want voice acting that's bad and/or will split the audience, sure, that's easy. If you want good voice acting, that's quite hard.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

There isn't anybody on the Talkhaus who owns a super professional mic so far as I know, and we don't have any voice actors, and therefore not any good ones.

So unless anybody has a friend, or if you want to go digging, you're sunk.

(I think Rina-Chan would be able to come up with a good Demo voice personally.)
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

What the hell are you doing in this thread!
Doctor Shemp wrote:So if you want voice acting that's bad and/or will split the audience, sure, that's easy. If you want good voice acting, that's quite hard.
Bwarch wrote:There isn't anybody on the Talkhaus who owns a super professional
What's with the super professional standards you all are coming up with? I'm not suggesting we do a super drama dub over of an epic movie. I do believe this is the first time the words "super professional" has came up in a talkhaus project.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

wait why do we need voice actors what
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

I don't know and I don't like it

Fact is, I don't really want Demo to have a canon voice. Besides she doesnt have a mouth.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

raocow wrote:I don't know and I don't like it

Fact is, I don't really want Demo to have a canon voice. Besides she doesnt have a mouth.
Dilbert didn't have a mouth, that turned out fine.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

raocow wrote:I don't know and I don't like it

I wrote:If such a thing really becomes a controversy, then well just use other protagonists.
Tada.

So now why are you even in this thread? You do know the whole spoiler thing in the title.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

What the hell are you doing in this thread!
Doctor Shemp wrote:So if you want voice acting that's bad and/or will split the audience, sure, that's easy. If you want good voice acting, that's quite hard.
Bwarch wrote:There isn't anybody on the Talkhaus who owns a super professional
What's with the super professional standards you all are coming up with? I'm not suggesting we do a super drama dub over of an epic movie. I do believe this is the first time the words "super professional" has came up in a talkhaus project.
I'm not suggesting we go super professional. I'm suggesting we don't set out to shit all over the project. No-one expects us to have level design on par with the best 2D Mario games, but on the other hand people expect levels that aren't shit. Similarly, no-one expects us to get Patrick Stewart, but on the other hand people expect that if you're going to the effort to include voice acting that it not be shit. Just like the few shitty levels in ASMBXT pissed a lot of people off and ruined several people's perceptions of the game as a whole, I can guarantee that shitty voice acting will do the same. People have a natural tendency to remember and accentuate the negative.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Doctor Shemp wrote: I'm not suggesting we go super professional. I'm suggesting we don't set out to shit all over the project. No-one expects us to have level design on par with the best 2D Mario games, but on the other hand people expect levels that aren't shit. Similarly, no-one expects us to get Patrick Stewart, but on the other hand people expect that if you're going to the effort to include voice acting that it not be shit. Just like the few shitty levels in ASMBXT pissed a lot of people off and ruined several people's perceptions of the game as a whole, I can guarantee that shitty voice acting will do the same. People have a natural tendency to remember and accentuate the negative.
Bwarch said "super professional" and I was also replying to him.

On the level I'm talking about, there's a huge difference between a excellent school play and a horrible one. Assuming we can't do something good from the beginning is not how we should be approaching problems. If it does turn out to be "shitty" and we throw it out, the result would be the same as not even considering it.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Can't we just have not voice acting.

Like why is this hard.

Let me put this in another way: anyone who is pro voice-acting, tell me in what way it would be a net positive.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

raocow wrote:Let me put this in another way: anyone who is pro voice-acting, tell me in what way it would be a net positive.
Why is anything ever a net positive? I'm just saying it's something that we could do and possibly make into something awesome in the far future.

And seriously, you're not suppose to be hear. I don't understand why both you and Bwarch suddenly get super interested in this thread over a simple suggestion, being how Bwarch is not a player in this project, and you aren't even supposed to be here in a thread mark "SPOILER".

If you really want me to drop this idea then fine. I'm just disappointed that the leadership needed to come running to strike down ideas as soon as it's suggested.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Very well, I'll keep my greasy nose out of projects I'm not in in the future.

I did not come to strike down the idea per say, just to put into perspective the resources Talkhaus has at its disposal.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

raocow wrote:Let me put this in another way: anyone who is pro voice-acting, tell me in what way it would be a net positive.
Why is anything ever a net positive? I'm just saying it's something that we could do and possibly make into something awesome in the far future.

And seriously, you're not suppose to be hear. I don't understand why both you and Bwarch suddenly get super interested in this thread over a simple suggestion, being how Bwarch is not a player in this project, and you aren't even supposed to be here in a thread mark "SPOILER".

If you really want me to drop this idea then fine. I'm just disappointed that the leadership needed to come running to strike down ideas as soon as it's suggested.
You're summing up, right now, what's wrong with dedicating resources to this in the first place: people - especially the person who suggested it, i.e. you - will get attached to it regardless of its quality and will insist on keeping it and refining it even if it's obviously shit to everyone else. You're being attached to it already and you haven't even started work on it.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Doctor Shemp wrote:You're being attached to it already and you haven't even started work on it.
I already said I would drop it if I need to, and you can't presume how I will at in the future as a basis for argument. It's like you didn't even read what you quote. You, however, have been very dedicated to opposing it.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Since there are like five different characters in this game, I don't see why Demo is the only one who gets voice acting. Also since the luna.dll allows multiple custom songs in a section, there is possibility for having a narrator in some levels.

Does anyone have ideas for the ending cutscene of world 6?