(shouting)

A2MBXT Voice Acting Debate (Spoilers in Thread)

The second SMBX collab!

Should A2XT Ep2 Include Voiced SFX for the Uncles?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 9

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Re: A2MBXT Cutscenes and Story SPOILERS

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Willhart wrote:Since there are like five different characters in this game, I don't see why Demo is the only one who gets voice acting. Also since the luna.dll allows multiple custom songs in a section, there is possibility for having a narrator in some levels.

Does anyone have ideas for the ending cutscene of world 6?
If you could get the narrator to sync properly and have a good script and voice then I think that could work as it wouldn't wreck anyone's preconceived ideas of what a character should sound like, or even opinions on if the voice matches the body as there would be no body. I think if any voice acting could work it would be a narrator.
Maiku Wotaharu
Karaoke Enthusiast and Honorary Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demon
First name: You'll figure it out.

Post by Maiku Wotaharu »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
Willhart wrote:Since there are like five different characters in this game, I don't see why Demo is the only one who gets voice acting. Also since the luna.dll allows multiple custom songs in a section, there is possibility for having a narrator in some levels.

Does anyone have ideas for the ending cutscene of world 6?
If you could get the narrator to sync properly and have a good script and voice then I think that could work as it wouldn't wreck anyone's preconceived ideas of what a character should sound like, or even opinions on if the voice matches the body as there would be no body. I think if any voice acting could work it would be a narrator.
Where do I sign up to audition?
The best part of waking up is...knowing where you are.

FINALLY, SOME MOSTS USERBARS!
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

If we did do any voice acting for the main characters it would be in the final chapter other than that, i don't know, it would kinda make one episode stand out from the others WAY too much.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I wish to appologise for my brash behaviour yesterday. I think I was too aggressive with my imediate dismissal, especially since I've always been in mind with the idea of 'don't judge something unless you have experienced it', you know. I especially wish to appologise to you, Septentrion Pleiades, since you ended up biting the most of it.

With that said, I am extremely in not favour of 'wacky' voices as thsoe tend to be.. tiresome, especially down the line. I always thought what made asmxt funny is that the crazier things are extremely understated, and that should be reflected in in the voicework, if there is some.

With that said again, the thing that worries me the most about such an idea is that its yet one other layer of 'stuff that people have to do', with possible delays and all that entails. Because of this I think voice acting should not be used in episode 1, who has most pieces done.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Can I nominate Samuel Tanguay as voice actor for all characters?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

If we do decide to do voice acting for the main characters (which I still think is a bad idea, but if we do) then since raocow created the characters it should be him and solely him that approves or rejects the voices.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

SAJewers wrote:Can I nominate Samuel Tanguay as voice actor for all characters?
now thats something I could get behind...

that doesnt make it a good idea, though...
Image Image
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Since I have no way of knowing what the plot will be at this point(Certainly over a year from now), all we can speculate on are the protagonists.
Kood would be the easiest to voice since his creator seems not to care to much about him. I would still like to get into contact with Grate if possible.
Iris - No one seems to care about Iris so I think nearly any female (and possible some higher pitched males) could make it work with a bit of effort.
raocow - If someone really wants to edit his voice from the videos, but I don't see this going beyond soundclips.
Demo and Shealth - raocow seems to care a lot about Demo so it would probably happen only when we are deep into the project and are ready to send auditions to him. Shealth, however, probably will be just as bad. Shealth tends to be the most retro character in the series so she can use text boxes while others speak.

It's likely that well come up with villains and other characters to voice as well.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I say let raocow voice them however he wants, just like his previous voice acting in other LPs.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

SAJewers wrote:I say let raocow voice them however he wants, just like his previous voice acting in other LPs.
Except most of the time it's "raocow reads it really fast in his head"
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Well either way, it's up to Darkychao and Shaman to decide. I'd personally prefer raocow read the lines himself, but I'll let those 2 decide.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Re: A2MBXT Voice Acting Debate

Post by Sturg »

I don't want it.

Nothing needs a voice, we don't need voices for the characters or anything else. The characters themselves are great without voices, it gets rid of a lot of imagination for the player on what everyone thinks they can all sound like. I don't want to make an agreement on what "sounds" like Demo or the rest of them, I think it would be loads better if it was kept to the imagination on how they all sound like instead of it being forced onto the player.

Plus, it's basically raocow's character, I believe that if he doesn't want voice actors for his character, then it shouldn't. Not everything needs a voice.

I still fail to see why there's a need to be voice acting in a bloody Mario platformer.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Diggertron
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Diggertron »

As far as my headcanon went, I read her dialogue as a vaguely female generic voice.

I can understand wanting to make a "professional thing" but at the end of the day, this is essentially a silly thing some people got together to kill some time, and have some fun etc.

If you have your own original game that you want to have voice acting in, and you can make it work, more power to you, just, we don't need it in A123MBXT.
That makes raocow a victim of proprietary software.
Skynet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

haha, man, the thread forgot to include the post where I aknowledged that my initial reaction was hasty.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Maiku Wotaharu

Post by Maiku Wotaharu »

Nor does it include my willingness to audition should the powers that be agree to it...

Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

raocow wrote:haha, man, the thread forgot to include the post where I aknowledged that my initial reaction was hasty.
Maiku Wotaharu wrote:Nor does it include my willingness to audition should the powers that be agree to it...
Fixed fellas. I'll give it a once over in a little bit and see if I missed anything. For now, I feast~
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

I typed a lot here because I really don't like voice acting in general but I think I'll just leave my two cents at this: Unless you also want to make the plot a riveting tale that remains a constantly present driving force throughout the entire game first, do not even bother with voice acting. It's pointless at this point, and it probably won't actually please much of anyone.

Also, do not do what I suggested with the plot unless it's already there, in which case you can color me surprised.
I don't really get it but okay
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

For my episode 3 level..
I was thinking of making some voice acting for my avatar.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

I'm going to maintain that if we do any voice acting other than an on level basis it should be saved for the finale chapter.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Holy

Post by Holy »

I'm completely against voice acting. It seems like something that would take forever to do, bog down the project, and never come out quite as good as we would want it to be. It doesn't add enough to the experience to be worth it.

Personally, I don't ever want to "know" what demo et al sound like.
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I'm against it on the grounds that there's apparently nobody left for me to audition for :p

Seriously, though, is this something we need or just want? And are we going to be trying to shoehorn in everybody as often as possible or will we be saving it for the key parts of the plot (say, where the plot first becomes relevant and the final boss confrontation(s)) or will we only be doing it for the occasional gag?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Menshay

Post by Menshay »

Do we really want to lose the occasion to hear raocow's usual amazing voice talent during the LP? Anyway, I feel this would clash too much with the style of the game (SNES-like sprites, as well as most of the atmosphere), as well as adding more work with little to no actual returns.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Hahaha, that poll result.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Maiku Wotaharu

Post by Maiku Wotaharu »

Hahaha, my attempt to be a narrator... (SPOILERS!)

XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Honestly, the only thing that should be voiced should be some narration in a level that takes place in a storybook, or parodies Bastion. Or both.

Any of the characters actually speaking would just be weird, and it'd honestly feel like trying too hard. Especially since, while good voice acting can enhance a plot, bad voice acting really detracts. This can be true for even intentionally bad voice acting - and, really, there'd be little gain from good voice acting, here, since there isn't enough focus on the plot.

Really, it'd be a waste of time for something that wouldn't be worth it even if the voices picked were perfect and the acting was superb.

Now, if we were to turn A2MBXT into a visual novel ...