(shouting)

Updates/Announcements

The second SMBX collab!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Updates/Announcements

Post by SAJewers »

docopoper wrote:I wish I had more lives. I keep game overing on the world 1 boss. xD
I just can't get peach to land in the lava! I'm not sure if this is a difficulty thing or if I am just doing terribly.
There should be a Billy Gun there for you to use. If someone wants to whip up some LunaDLL code to halve the # of hits, I'll add that too.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

SAJewers wrote: There should be a Billy Gun there for you to use. If someone wants to whip up some LunaDLL code to halve the # of hits, I'll add that too.
Does the gun actually work? Well in that case you should change the hit sound - because when I heard the sound I assumed it was indicating immunity to the bullets (and I thought it was weird you'd included the gun at all because of this).
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

So, uh. Where do I put the Episode 1 file once I've extracted the Base Game?
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

docopoper wrote:
SAJewers wrote: There should be a Billy Gun there for you to use. If someone wants to whip up some LunaDLL code to halve the # of hits, I'll add that too.
Does the gun actually work? Well in that case you should change the hit sound - because when I heard the sound I assumed it was indicating immunity to the bullets (and I thought it was weird you'd included the gun at all because of this).
what sound are you talking abot?
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.

Post by docopoper »

The hit sound for when smb3 bowser gets hit with a bullet.

Also - Ditocoaf: Just extract them both to the same location.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Talk to Shemp about that then.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Can you update the levels again? There is stuf to fix.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Ok, according to Septentrion in the A2MT LP Thread, raocow has about 2 weeks left of A2MT, and I understand raocow's LP afterwards will be short. That gives us about 3 weeks before a potential LP of this will happen, and it seems people want to aim for that.

Here's whats left to do:
  • sturg needs to send me his stuff. It includes the fixed overworld, and the music command stuff
  • Intro rooms need to be added to the Garish and Pandamona fights, similar to Science and Mishi.
  • The ConS and library need to be finished. I've got ConS almost done, and I guess Voltgloss and Willhart are working on the Library,
  • I need to create a new Credits and Cast graphics with changes to the credits, and adding Serac to the Cast.
  • Probably something else I've forgotten.
As such, I'm giving everyone a week for finalizing the Base Game. Any changes should be made now. I'm also giving everyone 3 days for non-bugfix changes to the first 4 worlds (not counting ConS), and a week for non-bugfix changes to City world and Lava/Cave World. After that, the only changes allowed will be fixes to bugs.

As long as I can get sturg's stuff today or tomorrow, and pholtos continues at his current pace, we should be able to finish this in 3 weeks.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Very important change to the sounds folder for the base game: zelda-fire.mp3 For some reason this was using the old square pulse fire sound instead of the new firey fire sound. This changes it to the firey fire sound.

Also a new swim sound that doesn't sound specifically like water. This will make Sandy Sands and Ghosts in Space sound less wrong but won't sound as good in every other level involving swimming. Your call whether you use it or not.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

If you think the current sound effect for swimming is better, then let's go with that. Also, thanks for reminding me to fix Sandy Sands (that should be quicksand, not water).
docopoper

Post by docopoper »

SAJewers wrote:If you think the current sound effect for swimming is better, then let's go with that. Also, thanks for reminding me to fix Sandy Sands (that should be quicksand, not water).
Quicksand would be pretty annoying to climb up. That's probably why it is water.

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

docopoper wrote:
SAJewers wrote:If you think the current sound effect for swimming is better, then let's go with that. Also, thanks for reminding me to fix Sandy Sands (that should be quicksand, not water).
Quicksand would be pretty annoying to climb up. That's probably why it is water.
I agree with docopoper.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Change the sand for that part to a waterfall if you think it is a problem.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

It's not I thought it was a problem, I just assumed it was a bug.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Willhart wrote:Change the sand for that part to a waterfall if you think it is a problem.
That doesn't change the fact that the current SFX is entirely inappropriate for Ghosts in Space though.
Axon

Post by Axon »

I'd like to add that I think the current swimming sound only makes sense when the player is swimming near the surface. I seriously doubt that this kind of sloshing sound occurs when something is moving deep underwater (realistically speaking).
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Again, Shemp's call. If he thinks the current sound effect is better, then we'll go with that.
Kil

Post by Kil »

What was the beef with item babysitting? It seems to be one of the better levels in the game
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Kil wrote:What was the beef with item babysitting? It seems to be one of the better levels in the game
Testers used to get stuck to it a lot, not knowing how to beat that level.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Axon wrote:I'd like to add that I think the current swimming sound only makes sense when the player is swimming near the surface. I seriously doubt that this kind of sloshing sound occurs when something is moving deep underwater (realistically speaking).
Absolutely. That's why it was originally deeper and more realistic but then some people said that didn't sound like water at all, despite it being a stock water effect in the first place. The new sound would certainly please Horikawa given that it's essentially a sloppy imitation of the SMW swim sound.

If Sandy Sands is being changed then Ghosts in Space is the only level with swimmable non-water. Therefore I think Axon should make the call.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Willhart wrote:
Kil wrote:What was the beef with item babysitting? It seems to be one of the better levels in the game
Testers used to get stuck to it a lot, not knowing how to beat that level.
Most of the major issues were ironed out in testing (such as unclear direction/textboxes, level crashing issues, and an inadvertent kaizo trap at the end).

The level still demands a high degree of precision with jumping off slopes (not SMBX's strong suit), sports fairly diabolical enemy placement (though some were removed - there used to be more shell-kicking goopas aimed to get you while you're in midair and can't dodge), and compels a long iteration time between attempts when the player screws up.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

There was also the fact that originally Pauleen didn't go through blocks, so quite often she should hit a cloud and fly right into you.
Doctor Shemp wrote:
Axon wrote:I'd like to add that I think the current swimming sound only makes sense when the player is swimming near the surface. I seriously doubt that this kind of sloshing sound occurs when something is moving deep underwater (realistically speaking).
Absolutely. That's why it was originally deeper and more realistic but then some people said that didn't sound like water at all, despite it being a stock water effect in the first place. The new sound would certainly please Horikawa given that it's essentially a sloppy imitation of the SMW swim sound.

If Sandy Sands is being changed then Ghosts in Space is the only level with swimmable non-water. Therefore I think Axon should make the call.
It's not being changed if the water is intended. I only mentioned it because I thought it was a bug that it wasn't set to quicksand.
arfman

Post by arfman »

Im just one stupid level involved but is it really necessary to turn over every pixel ?

A2MT is (what it is) but its a completely other thing with A2MBXT ... (i guess).... very much work, very nice cut scenes and so on ... its the Talkhaus charme to make something :D
Just release it. The 1 sound that dosnt fit is nitpicking :D

like remove this out of one level and the other thing of the next .....

it will be the best SMBX (hack) but please dont take the old talkhaus charme away like strange difficulty curves :D

bottom line.

Dont overwork A2MBXT :D EPISODE 1 !!! :D
Axon

Post by Axon »

Doctor Shemp wrote: If Sandy Sands is being changed then Ghosts in Space is the only level with swimmable non-water. Therefore I think Axon should make the call.
Well I think the new sound is more neutral and makes more sense generally (including in water, as I mentioned previously), so I'm definitely in favor of using it.
docopoper

Post by docopoper »

arfman wrote:Im just one stupid level involved but is it really necessary to turn over every pixel ?

A2MT is (what it is) but its a completely other thing with A2MBXT ... (i guess).... very much work, very nice cut scenes and so on ... its the Talkhaus charme to make something :D
Just release it. The 1 sound that dosnt fit is nitpicking :D

like remove this out of one level and the other thing of the next .....

it will be the best SMBX (hack) but please dont take the old talkhaus charme away like strange difficulty curves :D

bottom line.

Dont overwork A2MBXT :D EPISODE 1 !!! :D
I quite like the direction we're taking with A2XT. It's overall turned out to be a much more fun game than ASMBXT. And we aren't really ruining the spirit of talkhaus projects; the game was pretty similar to ASMBXT before this beta testing process and we've just been reworking all the bad levels and adding in cool features. I'm pretty sure that's what they were intending on doing with A2MT too but it just didn't work.