(shouting)

Updates/Announcements

The second SMBX collab!
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Re: Updates/Announcements

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Assuming those two dates are in the same month, one week is definitely not enough for beta testing. Basically what needs to happen is every time someone happens to see Sturg or that guy he was relying on for graphics, you need to tell them to drop what they're doing and do the overworld.
The game should have most bugs ironed out.

Anyways, if this rely on strug relying on yet another person, we may not get this out in april. There is no guarantee this person will ever come through. If it's just graphics, will could add them in last if this person ever shows. We need a deadline for the overworld, maybe this weekend.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Maybe it would be better to release the overworlds that have been done so far.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

A week is not enough because numerous people are waiting for a beta to actually start testing (for whatever reason) and a week is not enough to complete the game in.

There's no point setting a deadline for the overworld when it will just be ignored. Just get in an A2MT frame of mind and realise it may be done at some point in the future.
Willhart wrote:Maybe it would be better to release the overworlds that have been done so far.
Not possible: overworlds in SMBX are a single file for the whole thing. And you'll never ever convince SAJewers to release a beta with an incomplete overworld.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Doctor Shemp wrote:Just get in an A2MT frame of mind
I'm not even sure you are serious.

I'm suck of SAJewers and Strug sitting on there asses waiting for someone else to do something, and actually spending moths doing this. It's like SAJewers is afraid of launching this and seems to revolve his decisions around the goal of putting stuff off. Longer beta testing phases are needed, and you don't need everything put together in a giant package before you look at the basic foundations. All troubleshooting is looking at one part at a time, and a pretty overworld isn't going to change that.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I am serious. What you're saying has been said before numerous times by numerous people, including me, to no avail. In the words of your Pokemon race, it's not very effective, although that would be an understatement.

Also that was a hell of a bleak post to be my 1000th. Guess that says something.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Are the latest versions of the cutscenes in the devkit? Demolition was supposed to edit them to fit the story better, and I'd like to see the results. The A2MT frame of mind did not really help anyone.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

At this point not releasing the stuff that's already ready is just blatantly wasting time for no gain whatsoever.

I have no idea why the whole thing wasn't released for beta testing like a month or two ago.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Because Jewers is waiting on the overworld and cutscenes to release the beta and no-one has been able to convince him otherwise. Since the people he's waiting on are in an A2MT frame of mind, not being in an A2MT frame of mind yourself is only going to make you angry at the whole situation. So to preserve your own sanity, give up and roll with the A2MT vibes.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The cutscenes are done, or at least should be done according to the updates, except for the last one that will not be done this month or the near future. Extra graphics for cutscene no. 6 were done according to the earlier post in this thread. The overworld was done except they had to redo one world, and it is pretty much only thing we are waiting.

It would not be productive to wait for EOW8 to be finished.

Weekly updates would be nice.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

I remember thinking this thing was going to be out at christmas. :P

How close is the overworld to being done? Do we really need the new graphics and can't the overworld be made with placeholder graphics for now?
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Willhart wrote:Are the latest versions of the cutscenes in the devkit? Demolition was supposed to edit them to fit the story better, and I'd like to see the results. The A2MT frame of mind did not really help anyone.
The last two things I've received (not counting any level updates) were the updated LunaDLL and Town 7.
Doctor Shemp wrote:Because Jewers is waiting on the overworld and cutscenes to release the beta and no-one has been able to convince him otherwise. Since the people he's waiting on are in an A2MT frame of mind, not being in an A2MT frame of mind yourself is only going to make you angry at the whole situation. So to preserve your own sanity, give up and roll with the A2MT vibes.
I'm mainly waiting for the OW right now. I don't mind putting in placeholders for the 2 cutscenes, and then adding them in later in testing. If you want to test levels right now, go right ahead, you're just gonna need to do in via the level editor until the OW is done.
docopoper wrote:I remember thinking this thing was going to be out at christmas. :P

How close is the overworld to being done? Do we really need the new graphics and can't the overworld be made with placeholder graphics for now?
The past few months, all I've heard on the Overworld was it was almost done, he just needed to do up world 5, and that he had put it off for two months because of Christmas and MAGLX. I don't really know what's been going on since. Also, the OW GFX guy is Feenicks, who seems to be quick on those things.
Demolition wrote:Me and darkychao worked on the EOW6 cutscene from 8:30-2:30 last night. We now have all of the resources we need, It will be finished in a day or two.

The script for the EOW8 cutscene has also been written but will take a bit longer to make, since it's the final cutscene maybe it could be excluded from the first release of the game.
1) It's been two days, and I still haven't received it.
2) You told me a month ago that EOW 8 wouldn't take that long, and I got the impression from you it would be finished by a week later. Honestly, cut Darkychao, and do this all yourself, or bring someone else if you seriously need to.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

OK, I just got this via PM:

EOW6

Apparently once EOW8 is done (everything is written up, just gotta do it), he'll send me all the cutscenes for me to insert. Apparently Something I can look at will be my hands by the 21.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Do you have any version of the overworld file that could be given to someone else to finish?
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Do you have any version of the overworld file that could be given to someone else to finish?
Nope. Talk to Sturg if you want that.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Hi.

The only thing that is drawing me back from completing this is the fact that I have no idea how to accomplish World 5 and make it look good at the same time (this sorta applies to World 7 but I'm redoing it and liking it). The fact that SMBX has stupid limitations on what to use for custom graphics I have to decide what I need to make a proper city OW and make it look nice at the same time. While things like nature are pretty easy to do because you can just repeat wild-like scenery around the map and it looks natural. A city however, is much different. There has to be some variety with how it looks or else it seems really boring (trust me, I've tried to make it varied but to no avail). Right now, I'm trying to figure out other ways to make a city sort of pop and look nice, or to just scrap that altogether and just draw World 5 and split it onto all the different tiles I have left.

Also note, that I had reached the max number of both tiles and scenery's (people who know the OW layout will know what I'm talking about) after making World 7. So I had to go back and get rid of a chunk of stuff, so yeah I'm pretty limited on this.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Perhaps a minimalistic style would help.

-A nighttime skyline.
-Civ 4/5 style city that is not much bigger than an icon.(or several)
-A single impressive building surrounded by a bunch of identical boring ones.
-A fraiser skyline.

I'm leaning towards the third option.
Sturg

Post by Sturg »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote: -A single impressive building surrounded by a bunch of identical boring ones.
I like this one a lot actually.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Sturg wrote:
Septentrion Pleiades wrote: -A single impressive building surrounded by a bunch of identical boring ones.
Can you do it? This probably goes with what current resources you have.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Do you have an OW file we could take a look at? Also are you sure there's no tiles or anything that can never be seen? I'm pretty sure that the player can only see 10 tiles in each horizontal direction and 6 tiles in each vertical direction.
Sturg

Post by Sturg »

Well, it sounds easier than doing an entire city with the stuff I have. The only issue with this idea is that a lot of level placement on the OW wouldn't really make sense on the building.

Other than that I like the idea.
Doctor Shemp wrote:Do you have an OW file we could take a look at? Also are you sure there's no tiles or anything that can never be seen? I'm pretty sure that the player can only see 10 tiles in each horizontal direction and 6 tiles in each vertical direction.
I've already taken this into account and gotten rid of a lot of stuff. Thanks though. As for an OW file, I can get that complied into something soon.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Sturg wrote:Well, it sounds easier than doing an entire city with the stuff I have. The only issue with this idea is that a lot of level placement on the OW wouldn't really make sense on the building.

Other than that I like the idea.
I think you might get away with a more compact World 5 overworld due to the close together nature of cities.

Not every level would have to be directly related to the main building. I know my level could take place in a random building place.
Last edited by Septentrion Pleiades 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Sturg wrote:
The Joke should be that the Impressive town in the middle is Bishop's University of Sherbrooke and all the levels are street corners around the campus. The town can be the University in the center.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

If the level spot is placed on a road it doesn't really need to correspond with the surrounding buildings. Think of it as a star road.

Edit: that eow is perfect!
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

SAJewers wrote:OK, I just got this via PM:

EOW6

Apparently once EOW8 is done (everything is written up, just gotta do it), he'll send me all the cutscenes for me to insert. Apparently Something I can look at will be my hands by the 21.
Haha, wow. :lol:

I just watched that, it was great.

My favorite part was
"Many starved to death several times in a row before being fed" and all the variations on that joke.
Awesome. :D
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

You could stream some of the world creation if you need feedback.