HUB
40%
Overworld map
60%

Total votes: 86

shaman

Episode 1 Discussion Thread

Post by shaman »

Ladies and gentlemen, with the conclusion of raocow's LP of the original game (and what a LP it was), I do believe we are ready to begin working on the sequel. No rush, no worries, just work.

And this is the thread to discuss miscellaneous stuff about this project - no posting levels, reviewing or whatever here, use the proper threads for this!

The first thing I want to discuss is: Should we use a HUB or an overworld map? I'll let this poll run for 2 weeks.

Assorted info:

- We're obviously still using SMBX engine
- We're also using the same wiki: http://asmbxt.wikia.com/wiki/A2MBXT_Wiki
- We're having a more "strict" level choices for the final game, so no more terrible levels "allowed". Terrible levels examples from the first game are shoezone, uninspired ghost house and "a terrible level", of course.
- If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or SAJewers, or ask away here. We're all ears :)
is this videogames?
kil3

Re: A2MBXT Discussion Thread

Post by kil3 »

"Just get a bunch of levels done and let God sort 'em out" -- me, 2013
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Ah! Time for me to get those levels I had in mind but was too lazy to make for ASMBXT and get off my ass to make!

Do we care about story at all? Like, Is it what happens after the adventures in the CoANSW, are we going something brand new or is it just "Screw it, we'll figure it out at the last minute because no one cares!" I'd like to see more cutscenes and what not but that's because i'm a video game story kinda guy, no matter how nonsensical it is.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Is it possible to have both? Like an overworld moving from HUB to HUB, or has that already been declared as impossible or unwanted?

If that's the case, I choose overworld, though that would seem harder to do if each world doesn't have a theme.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

I already voted for an overworld. Considering darkychao's proposed plot, if it is used, an overworld (or overworld with seperate hubs) would make a lot more sense.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I thought of a story that could be used to explain why all the levels are so radically different to each other.

After ASMBXT happened, the gang decided to take a well-earned break by going to the world's greatest theme park (which I don't have a name for yet). When they got there they discovered that the theme park had been taken over by the big bad (still undecided) who wanted to run the park for himself. He'd also made the park really selective, so that some of the rides could only be gotten on after collecting enough tokens (like the tokens you get at the arcades that you swap for prizes). Now the gang has to ride the theme park rides to get the tokens to ride more rides to get more tokens etc. until they get enough tokens to face the big bad, beat him, and return the theme park to being fun for everyone again.

This was also add an interesting aesthetic touch to levels. I was thinking about the fan theory that none of SMB3 actually happened and it was all just a stage show. Explantion:
So adding subtle hints that the whole world is actually artificial (like if you look closely in the Matterhorn in Disneyland you can see exhaust vents and similar) would be an interesting addition.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Haha, I remember that theory, along with the whole "the SNES version of the game was the real game, and the NES version was a reenactment" theory. That could go along with the theme park idea. Of course, we still have to figure out if that should be the story or not.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Hah, that's clever. I'd support that as the story, because it actually manages to combine "there's a good reason you're doing this" with a plot that doesn't take itself any more seriously than the rest of the game. Plus it clears up all that justification/environment stuff people were worrying about.
I don't really get it but okay
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Hey now an uninspired ghost house wasn't terrible! :P
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Since we have more time we should probably sprite edit the rest of the enemies.

I'm going to repeat what I said in video at some point and suggest replacing the bosses by the different sibblings!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

If we go with the theme park story idea, I recomend to call the game "A Second Mario Bros X Thing: Sequel to the Prequel's Prelude"

Just an idea...
ImageImageImage
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

that's too long and won't fit on the line. Just call it 'some other dumb thing' or something
Cloaytonem2

Post by Cloaytonem2 »

Are the Toads going to be replaced? What would they be replaced with?
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Cloaytonem2 wrote:Are the Toads going to be replaced? What would they be replaced with?
Alice? Or some new helper character?
ImageImageImage
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

I meant to draw something freaky as a suggestion, but

i think i kinda failed at that

I ended up liking what my blob was, though, so I drew some more detail and then a side view to clarify its relative shape. Proportions are all over the place, but it's really the general design that I'm going for.

What do you guys think?
Holy

Post by Holy »

Wow, this is already getting started! I already have quite a few ideas, and I also want to work on giving a little more love to the secondary characters this time around.

I definitely think we should try to work an overworld this time around, and I dont think sorting and theming worlds after all the levels after submission will be too much of a problem.

Are we doing a level cap at 100 or so levels like last time?
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Doctor Shemp wrote:After ASMBXT happened, the gang decided to take a well-earned break by going to the world's greatest theme park (which I don't have a name for yet). When they got there they discovered that the theme park had been taken over by the big bad (still undecided) who wanted to run the park for himself. He'd also made the park really selective, so that some of the rides could only be gotten on after collecting enough tokens (like the tokens you get at the arcades that you swap for prizes). Now the gang has to ride the theme park rides to get the tokens to ride more rides to get more tokens etc. until they get enough tokens to face the big bad, beat him, and return the theme park to being fun for everyone again.
The Master doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would allow Demo and Iris, or for that matter anyone, vacation. Kood just spent the last like 3 months doing next nothing, so it wouldn't be very "well-earned".
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

I, personally, think this is a much better attempt. If you ignore the fact that that he's supposed to be smaller, but eh.

So, what do you guys think? Go or no go?

Also, yes, I got lazy with the wings.

Edit: Realized I messed up the tail.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

darkychao wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:After ASMBXT happened, the gang decided to take a well-earned break by going to the world's greatest theme park (which I don't have a name for yet). When they got there they discovered that the theme park had been taken over by the big bad (still undecided) who wanted to run the park for himself. He'd also made the park really selective, so that some of the rides could only be gotten on after collecting enough tokens (like the tokens you get at the arcades that you swap for prizes). Now the gang has to ride the theme park rides to get the tokens to ride more rides to get more tokens etc. until they get enough tokens to face the big bad, beat him, and return the theme park to being fun for everyone again.
The Master doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would allow Demo and Iris, or for that matter anyone, vacation. Kood just spent the last like 3 months doing next nothing, so it wouldn't be very "well-earned".
I can't remember, was there any mention of the Master in ASMBXT? If there wasn't we could say he isn't their boss yet. And I assumed Kood is dodging his responsibilities to follow Demo & Iris around.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

I feel like it's a bit early to already be starting A2MBXT, but oh well

I voted overworld because the last one had a HUB and I think it would be neat to see what some of the more experienced overworld people could come up with

Also I am super glad there are more standards for level quality
XutaWoo wrote: So, what do you guys think? Go or no go?
I like him. I think it's kinda weird how he just kinda came from out of nowhere, but I like it.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

I remembered what shading is for!

Also, considering his color scheme is similar to Demo's and he has a pretty strange shape, he probably is from the same place and just hadn't decided to tag along before.

Edit:

I have pretty great friends.
raocow

Post by raocow »

that's the hopping toad variant.
Money

Post by Money »

shaman wrote:and "a terrible level", of course.
But that was a joke level, wasn't it? I feel like those should be exempt.

Also I'd be OK doing sprites needed for this thing. :ugeek:
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

XutaWoo wrote:I remembered what shading is for!

Also, considering his color scheme is similar to Demo's and he has a pretty strange shape, he probably is from the same place and just hadn't decided to tag along before.

Edit:

I have pretty great friends.
How's this look? It still needs a bit of work, but if we wanted to replace the bob-omb buddy with this guy this would look pretty good.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

"No Rush, No Worries" Glad to hear that, I have a couple levels in the work and having less pressure to complete them quickly is nice. :)

Also dear lord what is that abomination Xutawoo?