Overworld map
60%

Total votes: 86

Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Re: A2MBXT Discussion Thread

Post by Sturg »

We could have collecting Dragon Coins important, like in SMWYEAAH or the VIPs. Like collecting all the dragon coins will allow access to a leek seen at the end of the level.
SAJewers wrote:
Holy wrote:Could we have a "reviewed?" column on the levels page? That was helpful last time around.
just leave something on the level page saying whomever reviewed it. is that good enough?
Also make sure that at least two people review a level (hopefully).
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

Also, if you reviewed a level, even if you didn't say anything, please leave a comment in the wiki!
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

sturgyman wrote:We could have collecting Dragon Coins important, like in SMWYEAAH or the VIPs. Like collecting all the dragon coins will allow access to a leek seen at the end of the level.
I think this might be not possible without the source code but I could be mistaken
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

It's technically possible, but only if we don't have any other purpose for leeks and have one appear when you get all the coins.
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

I actually really like the idea of a level giving you a leek if you collect all 5 Dragon coins, which could be at the end of the level (maybe we do a normal SMB3 exit with black thingy and have DC blocks right at the end to protect the leek)
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

LukaRamu wrote:I actually really like the idea of a level giving you a leek if you collect all 5 Dragon coins, which could be at the end of the level (maybe we do a normal SMB3 exit with black thingy and have DC blocks right at the end to protect the leek)
Or you could have the normal exit on one layer, the leek on the other, and have the leek layer be invisible. Then, when all the coins are grabbed, make the first layer invisible and the second visible.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Oh I thought was meant was with all the raocoins collectively in the entirety hah
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm just weary of 'having' to do anything when making a level. Call me a grumpy guss if you want, but the reason the first game worked is because peeps could do whatever, and I don't want to a2mt-ise this game.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Neobullseye

Post by Neobullseye »

I'm voting for a Hub on grounds of it being more shinyficationable.
Because kitty.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Has something been decided for what we're doing for bosses, and who gets to make bosses?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Wait until they develope naturally, I believe is the best way to go.

I still think that the bosses themselves should be resprited into the sibblings, regardless of if they are used in the middle of stages (like I tend to do) or as boss bosses.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Cloaytonem2

Post by Cloaytonem2 »

If it were up to me, I'd make the following changes:
Bowser --> Pily
Ludwig --> Pandamona (assuming she can use her box as a shell)
Larry --> Science
Birdo --> Nevada shooting fruit
Boom Boom --> ...Calleoca?

Mouser and Wart would have to be Garish and Mishi, but I don't know how that would work.
In any case, there's just enough siblings to cover every boss included in SMBX other than Mother Brain which can literally be anything and I don't think is ever used as Mother Brain specifically.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

I think all world bosses should be made Pebble's Peaks type boss
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
freelop

Post by freelop »

How about instead of a hub or overworld, the end of one level is simply a warp to the start of the next?
Because that is a terrible idea
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

SMBX has support for SMB1-styled progression, though I don't know how saves work for that.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

XutaWoo wrote:SMBX has support for SMB1-styled progression, though I don't know how saves work for that.
I'd still rather have an overworld or hub. and it has nothing to do with the fact that one of my levels is a bonus secret area zone thing
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

I'm still saying that the way to go is start in hub, go to one of several world maps from the hub.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Shinoda wrote:
XutaWoo wrote:SMBX has support for SMB1-styled progression, though I don't know how saves work for that.
I'd still rather have an overworld or hub. and it has nothing to do with the fact that one of my levels is a bonus secret area zone thing
It seems the populace has spoken, and people want an overworld. let's just stick with that.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

darkychao wrote:I'm still saying that the way to go is start in hub, go to one of several world maps from the hub.
That is a pretty good idea actually. Is there a limit of overworld screens?
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

I might try to possibly make some levels for this thing maybe

Although the fact that the SMBX editor takes up nearly 90% of my CPU is kind of deterring me from messing around in it too much

Also I guess there wasn't any real need to say this since there doesn't seem to be any sort of "sign up" thing, but there we go anyway

I'm completely neutral on the hub vs overworld debate, by the way, but that last idea does sound good, yeah
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

SAJewers wrote:
Shinoda wrote:
It seems the populace has spoken, and people want an overworld. let's just stick with that.
To be fair 'hybrid' isn't an option, I would change my vote to that.
fart.
TRS

Post by TRS »

It should also be mentioned that votes for the HUB are picking up, and the poll doesn't end for more than a week.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Huh, didn't notice the "pool runs til" thingy. Since I can't edit the poll to add "Hybrid", just vote "overworld, and we'll go with the assumption that that means a hybrid thingy, since most overworld talk has been a hybrid thing.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

sturgyman wrote:We could have collecting Dragon Coins important, like in SMWYEAAH or the VIPs. Like collecting all the dragon coins will allow access to a leek seen at the end of the level.
I know I'm about a day late or so but I don't like this idea very much. If we do go with it, I hope that we make collecting leeks entirely optional. Otherwise, completing a level won't feel like a meaningful accomplishment at all unless you happened to find all five dragon coins along the way, because you wouldn't actually get what you need to progress. I'd also wager that by the time the endgame (or early midgame) rolls around the coins will frequently be in very out-of-the-way, hard to find, or dangerous locations. On top of that, "gotten" coins don't ever save, so it's another case of "do a whole level without dying, and be sure to avoid the midpoint" amidst not just the level's normal hazards but also whatever special obstacles people might (and will) devise to guard the coins. And who knows if levels with multiple exits will take care to make it clear which path to take in order to actually find what you need to find.

In other words I think it'd be nigh-impossible to implement this idea so that it doesn't ruin everything and I don't even like it in the first place.

ADDENDUM: I'm not saying it's objectively a bad thing for a level to do - Swampy Shy Shrine pulled it off really well, in fact. What I am saying is that applying this concept to every level in a game as a requirement, including the late-game levels, is an astoundingly frightening concept once you realize it means potentially having to clear the hardest levels in the game without being able to take advantage of the midpoints they offer, just in order to progress. Let level designers choose how to hide a leek themselves if they feel like it.
I don't really get it but okay
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

If we are going with a hybrid overworld map/central hub deal, I'd love to see it be a Yggdrasil/giant tower sort of deal, with the whole thing really vertically oriented. [Perhaps we could get some express elevators that open up alongside unlocking the higher levels, or something of that sort]

That does still ask the question of how progression would go, though. Would the central hub act as a generic warpzone, just letting you get to places once you've unlocked the way back to a hub warp? Would each overworld be self-contained, with you needing to do/get X in order to unlock the next rung of the hub?
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks