(shouting)

(COMPLETED) A SMBX Level Editor Tutorial Series Thing

The second SMBX collab!
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

(COMPLETED) A SMBX Level Editor Tutorial Series Thing

Post by Frozelar »

Okay. ASMBXT has encouraged me to make a tutorial series thing on SMBX. I'll admit I'm no pro, but I do think I know my way around pretty well. I know this is kind of out of absolutely nowhere also.

After I finish the basics, I'll move on to some more advanced stuff, and things like that.

I'm not confident my video is that great, so if anyone has any feedback that would be awesome. I hope this series goes well and is helpful or something.

Thanks!
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Here's a list of the videos!

Here's the first one: first part of the basics
This video pretty much covers almost everything in the Level Settings tab. I guess you could look at it as the things you might want to do before you start level design.

And the second one: yeehaw!
This video covers the blocks and tiles, selection and eraser tabs. (I know the selection and eraser are really really obvious as to what they do but I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't cover them anyways)

The third! Another tutorial video thing!
As I say in the description... Sorry this video isn't in HD, I forgot to do the 720p thing in editing. Future videos should be in 720p though! Also, this video covers the basics of the NPCs window.

Number four!
Covered: Backgrounds & Water/Quicksand

Number 5!
This one covers Level Sections and Warps & Doors. I hope my inability to talk doesn't irritate anyone, although during editing I tried to make it not interfere with the video to the point where it would be annoying.

odds & ends
Final basics video! This one covers anything that I accidentally left out that I should have actually talked about and stuff.

first advanced video!
As requested by GameMasterGuy, this video covers autoscroll!
Remember to learn from my mistakes!!

Another advanced video!
This one covers how to get custom music into your SMBX level or whatever!

Yet another ADVANCED VIDEO!!
This one covers custom graphics, though not entirely. I'll be making another video in the future of how to make npc and whatnot any size you want.

Flags!
This video covers, well, flags.

Cutscenes!
Covered in this video: Cutscenes... more specifically, pretty much just the Player Controls option and some other tips

This video is on advanced options! Heck yeah
Covered: Advanced settings in NPCs (including Generators), Level Settings, and Warps and Doors.

layers and events
You are currently reading some text, this is the most hilarious thing ever I know hahaha lolololoooo

Whoa, second to last video
Covered: Modifying hardcoded graphics & sound effects

The final part!
In this one I build a level. Also, I figured that since I had so few odds and ends I would just add a little note to the appropriate videos regarding them. So for the people that told me stuff and maybe were expecting me to put the stuff they said into an odds and ends video type deal, well, there you go.

I'd like to give a HUGE thank you to everyone who stuck around with me through this series! It was a bunch of fun to make and I learned a lot along the way.

Thanks again!
Last edited by Frozelar 11 years ago, edited 15 times in total.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: An SMBX Tutorial Series Thing

Post by raocow »

thank you very much!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
m4sterbr0s

Post by m4sterbr0s »

Good job man. This is much better than some of the tutorials for SMBX that I've seen on Youtube. Looking forward to more tutorial videos.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

raocow wrote:thank you very much!
My pleasure :D
m4sterbr0s wrote:Good job man. This is much better than some of the tutorials for SMBX that I've seen on Youtube. Looking forward to more tutorial videos.
Thank you! I really appreciate that.

I'll try to get videos up every day. Or every other day at the very latest. Unless, of course, something comes up.
GameMasterGuy

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Can you cover autoscrolling next? I'm having trouble implementing it in my level despite the fact that it worked before in another level just fine :X
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Got the next video up: yeehaw!
This video covers the blocks and tiles, selection and eraser tabs. (I know the selection and eraser are really really obvious as to what they do but I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't cover them anyways)

I apologize that I seem to stumble over my words a lot in this video. Today just hasn't been a good speaking day for me for some reason. Sorry 'bout that!

Also I just thought I'd say that there's pretty much a guarantee of no video on Sunday because I'll be busy pretty much all day. Pretty much.
GameMasterGuy wrote:Can you cover autoscrolling next? I'm having trouble implementing it in my level despite the fact that it worked before in another level just fine :X
Hmm... it may not be next video because I want to finish the basics first, although there isn't much more basic stuff to cover... maybe three or so videos as most. After that I'll be getting into the more somewhat advanced stuff and I'll definitely cover autoscroll. No guarantees, but I should, I would think, have a video on it by or before this weekend.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

nice video

make more

a lot more
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Here we go! Another tutorial video thing!
As I say in the description... Sorry this video isn't in HD, I forgot to do the 720p thing in editing. Future videos should be in 720p though!
kil3 wrote:nice video

make more

a lot more
thanks

i shall

it's possible
GameMasterGuy

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Frozelar wrote:
kil3 wrote:nice video

make more

a lot more
thanks

i shall

it's possible
i'm sure that if you try

entering these enough times into

google translator they'll be haikus
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Another video!
Covered: Backgrounds & Water/Quicksand

The fact that I won't be able to upload Sunday really doesn't help, but I'll still try to keep my promise of getting that autoscroll video up for GameMasterGuy by this weekend regardless that there are still two or three videos left in the basics. I may upload multiple videos some day this weekend or something.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

here we go
This one covers Level Sections and Warps & Doors. I hope my inability to talk doesn't irritate anyone, although during editing I tried to make it not interfere with the video to the point where it would be annoying.
Goomba98

Re: A SMBX Level Editor Tutorial Series Thing

Post by Goomba98 »

When you go over layers and events, remember to mention that the layers are nothing like SMW's.
No signature ideas right now.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

I managed to squeeze in two videos, hooray!

odds & ends
Final basics video! This one covers anything that I accidentally left out that I should have actually talked about and stuff.

first advanced video!
As requested by GameMasterGuy, this video covers autoscroll! I hope I got this up soon enough GameMasterDude. I really do.
Goomba98 wrote:When you go over layers and events, remember to mention that the layers are nothing like SMW's.
Can do, thanks!
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Got the next one up!
This one covers how to get custom music into your SMBX level or whatever!
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Just wanted to say that even though some of the basics are probably not too hard to figure out on their own, it's really nice seeing everything demonstrated and explained like this.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

Any chance you can do cutscenes in the future?
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

swirlybomb wrote:Just wanted to say that even though some of the basics are probably not too hard to figure out on their own, it's really nice seeing everything demonstrated and explained like this.
Thanks!
Cadwyn wrote:Any chance you can do cutscenes in the future?
Yeah... I haven't used cutscenes in a LONG time though, so I'd have to refresh myself before I make a video on it. No promises, but I might be able to relearn it and get a video up by this weekend.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Could you also go over the advanced setting for NPCs? I - for example - have no idea what 'Legacy Boss' does.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Okay, I've been pretty busy the past couple days with school and basketball and a bunch of other fun stuff... I can't say I'm out of the woods yet either. However, after Thanksgiving, as far as I know, I'll have a bunch of free time and I'll get to cutscenes and advanced npc stuff and everything else. But until then, well, I guess I kinda apologize for the shortage of videos, I'll try to get at least another one or two up before then.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Alright, we had some really dense fog today, which made school be closed, so I was able to make this here video.

this is a video here
This one covers custom graphics, though not entirely. I'll be making another video in the future of how to make npc and whatnot any size you want.

Also I'll be busy all day tomorrow so I would doubt I'll be getting a video up tomorrow, but I'll have a video on cutscenes up by... I want to say Friday, and I think I'll be able to, although no guarantees. And a video on the Advanced NPC tab should be up by Saturday.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Nice job man, I'll be watching these to get insight. Though I seem to be pretty good with the program as is. Thanks!
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Apparently my internet dudes had a fire or something, so my internet has been out the past week-ish. It seems okay now... though I'd be kinda surprised if it didn't go out soon again. It's not supposed to be fixed until the beginning of next week, so I dunno. It really surprises me that my providers don't have some sort of backup thing for when something like this happens. I would switch to another provider but the one I have now is the only one available in my area sadly. Complain whine.

I did manage to record three videos over the week, so I'll try to get at least two or three up tomorrow assuming my internet cooperates. I hope it does. Complain.
Franky wrote:Nice job man, I'll be watching these to get insight. Though I seem to be pretty good with the program as is. Thanks!
My pleasure, thank you!
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Are you going to cover events or anything crazy like that? I've been waiting for that before designing the next area of my level. I'm sure I could figure it out myself, but I'm too damn lazy to.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Flags!
kil3 wrote:Are you going to cover events or anything crazy like that? I've been waiting for that before designing the next area of my level. I'm sure I could figure it out myself, but I'm too damn lazy to.
Yeah, I just have cutscenes, then other advanced settings in some of the tabs, then events and layers... then what? Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do after that? Or could this series really be this close to being finished already?
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

Frozelar wrote:Flags!
kil3 wrote:Are you going to cover events or anything crazy like that? I've been waiting for that before designing the next area of my level. I'm sure I could figure it out myself, but I'm too damn lazy to.
Yeah, I just have cutscenes, then other advanced settings in some of the tabs, then events and layers... then what? Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do after that? Or could this series really be this close to being finished already?
First off, great video there! I find it's best to just experiment with flags, as there don't seem to be too many hard and fast rules. For example, I THINK the speed variable is ignored for some of the player projectiles, but I can't be 100% certain that they all do, so best to fiddle with things. At the least you may stumble upon a level gimmick in the process.

How about building a level from start to finish? I don't know if you could do that without retreading all the ground you've covered, but it might be interesting at least as a "how it all fits together" kinda optional video dealie.

The only other things I can think of are things that are technically outside the scope of this collab, like replacing sound effects or hard-coded graphics like the HUD and shoe graphics. None of those can be done on a per level basis, so it's more the concern of the collab organizer... however, someone making their own SMBX game might wanna know how to do those things.

Oh yeah, and the opening splash. That might actually be a good thing to permanently upgrade the official distribution version since it's just redirecting to Nintendo's site and I'm uncomfortable with them getting hits from the SMBX community. Probably not a real threat, but I seem to remember Nintendo was always wary of fan projects so I'd rather not give them the attention. But until then, at least showing people how to change that would be cool.

Overall, this is probably the most thorough SMBX tutorial on the web. Good job guy.