(shouting)

SMBX Help Thread

The second SMBX collab!
Kashkabald

Re: SMBX Help Thread

Post by Kashkabald »

Ignoritus wrote: May have just been a random crash. Does it happen repeatedly?
It crashed because I placed too many before, that I noted. The problem is I can't directly paste the rain NPC which is a bother.
Ignoritus
O◡O
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ignoritus »

Kashkabald wrote:
Ignoritus wrote: May have just been a random crash. Does it happen repeatedly?
It crashed because I placed too many before, that I noted. The problem is I can't directly paste the rain NPC which is a bother.
What do you mean 'directly paste' it?
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

As in, I click on the NPC on the editor, and when I try to click to place it, nothing happens. The NPC still shows correctly when I select it, I just can't place it for some reason.
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Kashkabald wrote:As in, I click on the NPC on the editor, and when I try to click to place it, nothing happens. The NPC still shows correctly when I select it, I just can't place it for some reason.
Is it intersecting with tiles where you're trying to place it?
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Ignoritus wrote:
Kashkabald wrote:As in, I click on the NPC on the editor, and when I try to click to place it, nothing happens. The NPC still shows correctly when I select it, I just can't place it for some reason.
Oh, now I see. What can I do about it, though?
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Kashkabald wrote:
Ignoritus wrote:
Oh, now I see. What can I do about it, though?
I usually create a new layer "Rain", hide the default layer, place the rain on it's layer, and reshow the default layer.
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Ignoritus wrote:
I usually create a new layer "Rain", hide the default layer, place the rain on it's layer, and reshow the default layer.
This works, but now the rain is solid
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Kashkabald wrote:
Ignoritus wrote:
This works, but now the rain is solid
Add:
playerblock=0
playerblocktop=0

to npc-154.txt
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

I did. After adding the "ungrababble" commands, now the only thing wrong is that I can bounce on the rain... jumphurt is set to 0 though.
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Kashkabald wrote:I did. After adding the "ungrababble" commands, now the only thing wrong is that I can bounce on the rain... jumphurt is set to 0 though.
Remove jumphurt=0

If that doesn't work, try removing playerblocktop=1
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Ignoritus wrote:
Kashkabald wrote:I did. After adding the "ungrababble" commands, now the only thing wrong is that I can bounce on the rain... jumphurt is set to 0 though.
Remove jumphurt=0

Removed jumphurt, still bouncy.

Playerblocktop was set at 0, removed the line, now I can walk on the rain.
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Kashkabald wrote:
Ignoritus wrote:
Remove jumphurt=0

Removed jumphurt, still bouncy.

Playerblocktop was set at 0, removed the line, now I can walk on the rain.
Oh, now I recall. Sadly, that's unavoidable. Your best bet is to make sure that the player cannot land on the top of a rain at any point. If that's not an option, you have the option to add the rain to an animated BG instead as a custom graphic.
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Ignoritus wrote:
Oh, now I recall. Sadly, that's unavoidable. Your best bet is to make sure that the player cannot land on the top of a rain at any point. If that's not an option, you have the option to add the rain to an animated BG instead as a custom graphic.
Haha, so it's back to square one I guess! Guess I still need that "stormy castle" background after all!

Well, thanks a LOT for your patience. Getting more and more used to SMBX.
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Kashkabald wrote:
Ignoritus wrote:
Haha, so it's back to square one I guess! Guess I still need that "stormy castle" background after all!

Well, thanks a LOT for your patience. Getting more and more used to SMBX.
Hold on a sec, I think I found a fix. Rename the three files NPC-290.

Replace the contents of the txt with:
width=640
height=640
gfxwidth=640
gfxheight=640
frames=4
nohurt=1
foreground=1

Go into advanced at set firebar to 0. Now place 'firebars' which are now rain. Since firebars have no collision by default, you don't bounce.
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Ignoritus wrote:
Hold on a sec, I think I found a fix. Rename the three files NPC-290.

Replace the contents of the txt with:
width=640
height=640
gfxwidth=640
gfxheight=640
frames=4
nohurt=1
foreground=1

Go into advanced at set firebar to 0. Now place 'firebars' which are now rain. Since firebars have no collision by default, you don't bounce.
I'm being really dumb here, but I can't find the firebars...
m4sterbr0s

Post by m4sterbr0s »

The firebar is underneath the piranha plant in the Super Mario Bros NPCs. Click that fireball graphic and once you click the show button under advanced, under firebar, it should have set position, and then you switch it to 0.

(correct me if I'm wrong)
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

m4sterbr0s wrote:The firebar is underneath the piranha plant in the Super Mario Bros NPCs. Click that fireball graphic and once you click the show button under advanced, under firebar, it should have set position, and then you switch it to 0.

Did that, and now I have fireballs that sweep around like the wind! Pretty neat but accidental effect... and still not the desired rain.
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Kashkabald wrote:
m4sterbr0s wrote:The firebar is underneath the piranha plant in the Super Mario Bros NPCs. Click that fireball graphic and once you click the show button under advanced, under firebar, it should have set position, and then you switch it to 0.

Did that, and now I have fireballs that sweep around like the wind! Pretty neat but accidental effect... and still not the desired rain.
You need to set firebar position to 0 in the advanced tab before placing them.
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Ignoritus wrote:
Kashkabald wrote:

I did just that, I only get the fireball though.
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Kashkabald wrote:
Ignoritus wrote:
Kashkabald wrote: Did that, and now I have fireballs that sweep around like the wind! Pretty neat but accidental effect... and still not the desired rain.
I did just that, I only get the fireball though.
I'm sorry, I said the wrong number. Name that 260, not 290.
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Ignoritus wrote: I'm sorry, I said the wrong number. Name that 260, not 290.
Thanks, it works now! Just one thing: is there a better way to paste the rain tiles all over the level than just doing it manually? It seems when I do it manually there's always a few empty spots...
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Kashkabald wrote:
Ignoritus wrote: I'm sorry, I said the wrong number. Name that 260, not 290.
Thanks, it works now! Just one thing: is there a better way to paste the rain tiles all over the level than just doing it manually? It seems when I do it manually there's always a few empty spots...
With an NPC? Not really. Your best bet is to just do it as a grid so that there are no empty spaces.
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Great, now after making a warp to the second part of the level, the game fails to load the first few rain tiles in the second part, if I move on with the level and come back to the beginning of that part, the game now loads the rain correctly.
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

What purpose do the blue question mark blocks serve in the SMW tiles? I want to use them in my level cause I like how they function when you hit them, but I'm curious as to if they're used for anything else?
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

GlitchedGhost wrote:What purpose do the blue question mark blocks serve in the SMW tiles? I want to use them in my level cause I like how they function when you hit them, but I'm curious as to if they're used for anything else?
As far as I know, they're entirely for the purpose of the level maker to use them with events. Of course, you don't have to use them for events if you don't want to.