(shouting)

SMBX Help Thread

The second SMBX collab!
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Re: SMBX Help Thread

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Cadwyn wrote:Is there a way to make that sort of "cutout" jump through terrain, like the kind popularized by Hacks 101?

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=showhack&id=4013
I don't think it's possible with default graphics. You'd probably have to use custom graphics. It would get kind of tricky though - it seems nearly all objects in SMBX are either entirely solid or entirely fall-through, unless I've missed something big. You'd have to get pretty creative.
ParuParu wrote:What is a good method to filter the blue shoe after the designer sees its use done?
The only possible method I can think of for filtering the blue shoe is to force the player to take a hit, which isn't very good design. It's also problematic to find a way of forcing the hit since the blue shoe is so incredibly mobile.

Alternatively we could just put the level in the postgame where cheesing out other levels doesn't matter so much.

Personally though I'd recommend sticking with the Klown Kar. The blue shoe just creates so many problems for other levels.
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

I know how autoscrolling works, but is it possible to do downwards vertical scoll??
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Couple of questions:

1) How do I make an event change the music? I noticed the music options in the event window, but I have no idea how to actually use them.
2) Is there a way to make an item appearing from a ? block on a moving layer show up correctly?
lukaramu
not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:1) How do I make an event change the music? I noticed the music options in the event window, but I have no idea how to actually use them.
1. Change the music to the music after the change in "Level Settings"
2. In "Section Settings" in the event window, select "Use Current"
3. Change the music in the level settings to the music you want to play in that section.

It's similar to what the boundary selection for auto-scroll works.

Hope it helped and worked!
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

I'm having a problem with moving platform precision. I have it set to move left -6 for 0.2 seconds and then right 1 for 1.2 seconds on a loop, and despite this - it moves ever so slightly left every cycle.

The same happens at -5 and -4 with the timings corrected.
I have tried increasing the moving right timer by 0.1, but that just causes it to move right gradually instead.

Does anybody know of a fix? Having my platforms migrate across the level is kind of a problem.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

LukaRamu wrote:1. Change the music to the music after the change in "Level Settings"
2. In "Section Settings" in the event window, select "Use Current"
3. Change the music in the level settings to the music you want to play in that section.
Thank you very much.

Next question: how do I get custom music to work? I put my .mp3 file in the music folder, entered the file name (I've tried both with and without the extension) and then clicked the Custom button in the music selection window, but I just get silence when I play the level.
Roo

Post by Roo »

What exactly determines a player's hitbox? Unfortunately, Pickle Barrel Demo's sprite extends to the left too far, and is cut-off in game. I can nudge it over to the right a bit to make the whole thing show up, but then the hitbox is off. I also apply this to the shadow-sprites that are used for the outline, but to no avail. Neither seems to effect the hitbox at all.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Anshwo

Post by Anshwo »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:Next question: how do I get custom music to work? I put my .mp3 file in the music folder, entered the file name (I've tried both with and without the extension) and then clicked the Custom button in the music selection window, but I just get silence when I play the level.
Some mp3s seemingly don't work for any reason I can see. If you just reconvert it to mp3 it should work.
Edit: Oh wait, you put it in the music folder? Don't bother with that, just put it in the same folder as your .lvl is located.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Okay, got the music to work with that (Sburban Jungle hell yes). Now if someone could just explain to me how the autoscroll works, I think I have everything I need to create my level.
Anshwo

Post by Anshwo »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:Okay, got the music to work with that (Sburban Jungle hell yes). Now if someone could just explain to me how the autoscroll works, I think I have everything I need to create my level.
Basically, change the boundaries of the level to the size of the window/playable screen
Go into View -> Events
Assuming it begins autoscrolling at the beginning of a level, click on the event "Level - Start"
Below that in Section Settings, change Position to Current
Under Autoscroll, adjust the Section of the level and Horizontal/Vertical speed to your liking (positive numbers = right or down. negative numbers = left or up.)
Adjust the boundaries back to their original place. Everything is done, test and make sure it works~
Note you don't necessarily need to check the box Auto Start
Last edited by Anshwo 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ParuParu

Post by ParuParu »

The problem with the car is that if one pixel comes in contact with lava, you just die, and it gets rezlly annoying really fast.
McClain

Post by McClain »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:Okay, got the music to work with that (Sburban Jungle hell yes).
Hell to the yes.

I at one point for STTB was going to try to make a series of levels each called "Land of ____" and use each of the kids' songs, but never followed through with it.

EDIT: RE: Clown Car, I'm pretty sure there's a secret way to get a lakitu cloud you can fly around on that would work better. I think you make a lakitu that throws lakitus, and a new menu pops up? I can't remember.

Yes, this engine has secrets in the level creator. SMBX is weird.

EDIT 2: Found it!

Here's how I got it to work:

1: Select an enemy
2: Click the "Lakitu" button
3: Switch to another enemy menu (that is, if you're in SMB3, go to SMW, etc.)
4: Without clicking anything else, place the Lakitu on the screen.
5: Test the level. The Lakitu should start throwing Lakitus, which throw more Lakitus.
6: Exit out. You'll find the "Lakitus are throwing Lakitus!" menu at the bottom of the screen.

EDIT 3: fjdslfjasdlf, it's not a lakitu cloud, it's an airship part for mario in the secret Lakitu menu. But you could MAKE it a lakitu cloud, which i think is what I was thinking about.
ParuParu

Post by ParuParu »

Is there a way to switch the graphics of the airship to a lakitu cloud?
GameMasterGuy

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Is there anyway to create invisible blocks? I tried the "invisible" trait, but that gets rid of their collision detection. If you can't, is there any way to make warps bigger? Right now I either need some way to invisibly guide the player straight down to a warp right above a lava pit or have the warp cover the entire surface of the lava pit.

Or just assume that the play won't press left or right.
lukaramu
not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

GameMasterGuy wrote:Is there anyway to create invisible blocks? I tried the "invisible" trait, but that gets rid of their collision detection. If you can't, is there any way to make warps bigger? Right now I either need some way to invisibly guide the player straight down to a warp right above a lava pit or have the warp cover the entire surface of the lava pit.
For the second question, yes, you have to cover the pit with warps :(

For the first, I think there's an invisible SMB3 block, but I'm not sure.
GameMasterGuy

Post by GameMasterGuy »

LukaRamu wrote:
GameMasterGuy wrote:Is there anyway to create invisible blocks? I tried the "invisible" trait, but that gets rid of their collision detection. If you can't, is there any way to make warps bigger? Right now I either need some way to invisibly guide the player straight down to a warp right above a lava pit or have the warp cover the entire surface of the lava pit.

I'll try that out. Also, is there any way to copypasta a room from one level to another? There's two rooms that I had planned as different levels but I think it'll be best if they're both parts of the same level.
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

GameMasterGuy wrote:
LukaRamu wrote:

I'll try that out. Also, is there any way to copypasta a room from one level to another? There's two rooms that I had planned as different levels but I think it'll be best if they're both parts of the same level.
Go to Level Settings, hit Advanced in the bottom left corner. There should be a small window that pops up with 'Clone Section.' Select which section you want to copy, and select the target of where you want it to go.
I hope that helps?
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
GameMasterGuy

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Not really, it seems to only work from one part of a level to another. It wasn't that big so I just recreated it.

Anywho, I've run into a weird problem. For some reason I can't get the autoscroll to work in section 4 of my level, despite doing the exact same things before in section 1 in another level and they worked perfectly. Link:
http://www.2shared.com/file/DL0pZQDS/Fa ... Fears.html
Last edited by GameMasterGuy 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

ParuParu wrote:Is there a way to switch the graphics of the airship to a lakitu cloud?
The Editor Help included with SMBX has a step-by-step guide.
ParuParu

Post by ParuParu »

How does one create a door only visible with a P-switch? I now have my level design fully thought out.
GameMasterGuy

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Create a new layer, put the P-coins/door/whatever on that layer, set it to invisible, go to events, and make the layer visible when the P-Switch activates. Then go to the P-Switch expiration event and make that layer invisible again there.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

How do you make an NPC have more than 1 box of dialogue?
Kuribo

Post by Kuribo »

Doctor Shemp wrote:How do you make an NPC have more than 1 box of dialogue?
Create an event that triggers another box of dialogue after you talk to the NPC, using the "Message" text field in the Events window.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Doctor Shemp wrote:How do you make an NPC have more than 1 box of dialogue?
Basicallt what Kuribo said, but here's a lengthy version:
1. Create a new event and name it (for instance "npc talk"), you'll see an entry place for text called "Message" on the event tab; insert the text for your 2nd text box here.
If you have three or more message boxes (which I doubt), then make another event for each box of text, and have the event you made ("npc talk") trigger the next event. You can do this by clicking on the 'Trigger Event' list on the event tab and select the next event that you want to come after that one.
2. Go to your npc tab and pick out the npc you want to use for your text. Enter the text of the 1st text box where it says 'message' as usual.
3. Then click 'show' on the "events" button on the npc tab, and make sure you are still on the same npc.
4. The 'NPC event triggers' tab should pop up, where it says 'talk' you will find all the events in one list/ Find the event with the second box of text (in this instance, "npc talk"), and click on it.
5. Place the npc, and it should work now!
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

It's cool, got it all sorted. Now I just have to resist the urge to go full SMWCentral and make walls of text.