(shouting)

SMBX Help Thread

The second SMBX collab!
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Re: SMBX Help Thread

Post by Hoeloe »

TiKi wrote:Is there any way in Paint.NET, a plugin for such, or anything else, to recolor multiple images together? Or is it recoloring each and every block all the way down?
If you're doing a simple pallet swap, I should think there will be. I know you can do it in Photoshop, but I don't really use Paint.NET, so I'm not sure about that. I expect at least GIMP will be able to do it, though.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Hoeloe wrote:
TiKi wrote:Is there any way in Paint.NET, a plugin for such, or anything else, to recolor multiple images together? Or is it recoloring each and every block all the way down?
If you're doing a simple pallet swap, I should think there will be. I know you can do it in Photoshop, but I don't really use Paint.NET, so I'm not sure about that. I expect at least GIMP will be able to do it, though.
You need a plugin, if you want do use Batch Image Manipulation on gimp.
http://registry.gimp.org/node/26259

Edit: I remember having some problems converting between indexed colors and rgb when using this.
It might be better to use something else.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Is it possible to place character specific fireballs?
LiAS

I'm making a level...I need a special thing.

Post by LiAS »

Would it be too much trouble to ask someone to make What the Hell? Demo graphics? (And isn't it hard to keep the same feel with the small Demo's smaller SMBX hitbox?)
Heraga

Re: I'm making a level...I need a special thing.

Post by Heraga »

No. Summing it up in one word.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: I'm making a level...I need a special thing.

Post by Mikkofier »

Ask in the Graphics thread.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

How the heck do the jumping fish work? I see levels with fish making huge leaps all the way up the screen all the time but all I can get them to do in my own level is these puny little hops of not even a block in height.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:How the heck do the jumping fish work? I see levels with fish making huge leaps all the way up the screen all the time but all I can get them to do in my own level is these puny little hops of not even a block in height.
You mean the cheep-cheep jump AI that is triggered when the player character moves above the fish? A little experimenting here seems to show that how high they jump depends on how high above them the player character is. Maybe that explains what you're seeing?
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I don't have SMBX open right now, but IIRC its jump height is based on where's it's placed in the level? Also make sure you hit the Advanced button and change its AI to I think Jump.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Just wondering, does anyone have a level file that frequently triggers the "mushroom in lava" bug on hand they can share?

Some recent work by Kev makes it easier to look into certain issues like this, and I'd like to investigate this some, however I my attempts to create a test level to reproduce the bug have thus far not been fruitful.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Rednaxela wrote:Just wondering, does anyone have a level file that frequently triggers the "mushroom in lava" bug on hand they can share?

Some recent work by Kev makes it easier to look into certain issues like this, and I'd like to investigate this some, however I my attempts to create a test level to reproduce the bug have thus far not been fruitful.
My A2XT level "The Descent of Nine" features a lot of lava in one of the later sections. Originally, there was a scrolling lava wall forcing you to move down, but this triggered that bug reliably when it came into contact with the powerups. It's since been set up so as not to trigger the bug, but perhaps could be tweaked in order to do so.
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

Has anyone run into the bug where the level editor is like... off-center?

I tried to copy one section to another, but now it's basically impossible to build on top of it without it looking like shit.

Here's a screenshot:

I've tried re-copying the section AND copying it to a different blank section, but neither showed luck.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

BeatBoxingBoo wrote:Has anyone run into the bug where the level editor is like... off-center?
Is that the default editor? The default editor is extremely bug ridden and lacking basic features (like copy paste and undo). I strongly suggest getting the PGE editor.
Monezero

Error run-time error ''13'': type mismatch

Post by Monezero »

This happens when i start the level A World One Level. So how to fix it?
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Re: Error run-time error ''13'': type mismatch

Post by Hoeloe »

This is a localisation problem. I forget the exact fix, but it occurs when computers are set to use , as the decimal separator. This makes SMBX, which uses . as a decimal separator, get confused as to what a number like 2.4 means, as the computer tries to use 2,4.

There is a way to change which separator your computer uses, but I forget how to do it.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

I don't know if it works across all windows systems but the way I do it as that I open up control panel, look at the "clock, language, and region" section, and then select "change date, time, or number formats". Then after that, I look at the bottom right of the window and hit "additional settings" which brings up the place to change the decimal operator. It should all flow smoothly from there.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Kevsoft
LunaLua Master Developer

Post by Kevsoft »

Hoeloe wrote:This is a localisation problem. I forget the exact fix, but it occurs when computers are set to use , as the decimal separator. This makes SMBX, which uses . as a decimal separator, get confused as to what a number like 2.4 means, as the computer tries to use 2,4.

There is a way to change which separator your computer uses, but I forget how to do it.
This has been fixed in LunaLua/LunaDll.
Monezero

Post by Monezero »

Jayoshi wrote:I don't know if it works across all windows systems but the way I do it as that I open up control panel, look at the "clock, language, and region" section, and then select "change date, time, or number formats". Then after that, I look at the bottom right of the window and hit "additional settings" which brings up the place to change the decimal operator. It should all flow smoothly from there.
What decimal operator should i put?
Monezero

Post by Monezero »

Jayoshi wrote:I don't know if it works across all windows systems but the way I do it as that I open up control panel, look at the "clock, language, and region" section, and then select "change date, time, or number formats". Then after that, I look at the bottom right of the window and hit "additional settings" which brings up the place to change the decimal operator. It should all flow smoothly from there.
Thanks guy problem solved
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

Hoeloe wrote:Is that the default editor? The default editor is extremely bug ridden and lacking basic features (like copy paste and undo). I strongly suggest getting the PGE editor.
Goodness, thank you! I wasn't looking forward to making that section over from scratch.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

So can grinders just not be made anti-gravity? I set the NPC file to disable gravity and yet they still fall.
Duvi0
Artist, streamer, level designer, and more, for the low low price of a jar of peaches!

Post by Duvi0 »

Hey, I can't seem to find out how to change the text or text box graphic. Is this possible in SMBX or am I going to have to settle on a semi-monochromatic level?
Yo peeps! I'm Duvi. Wanna know more about what I'm like, look at my tumblr, http://duvi0.tumblr.com
talk to me on Skype (mossyduvi0) or Steam (duvi0), or watch my streams at http://twitch.tv/duvi0!
However, my description of myself goes like this: I'm a smart idiot who writes and designs well, but as jacks of all trades go, I can really do jack.
Ittababy

Post by Ittababy »

this is an A2XT question, (I sure have a lot of these) but it will not start. I've tried everything, but it opens and shuts instantaneously.
*sigh*

EDIT:
Oh, sorry. Thank you very much >w>;
Last edited by Ittababy 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
A very shy ghost.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Ittababy wrote:this is an A2XT question, (I sure have a lot of these) but it will not start. I've tried everything, but it opens and shuts instantaneously.
*sigh*
Check the plan thread. A2XT is currently completely broken. I'm waiting on a few LunaLua fixes to port it to 2.0 to get it working again.