(shouting)

SMBX Help Thread

The second SMBX collab!
Kil

Re: SMBX Help Thread

Post by Kil »

Kil wrote:So is there any way to lose stars in this game, because I could use a decrease in star count to detect when a save file is deleted
So I'll take that as a no? Want to be sure because I'm literally about to build the lunadll saves around this behavior. Whenever it detects a decreased star count for a save slot it will delete your lunadll save for that slot as well.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

theres no way to actually lose stars...
so i guess you could go about making something that deletes stars and when that happens, deletes the save file...
Image Image
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Well when you save the first time you have 0 (normal exit) or 1 (star exit or collected a SMW star) stars right? It would just register that the new star count is lower than your old one.
Kil

Post by Kil »

Yeah, and when lunadll detects that your star count is lower than it was before, it can delete the lunadll saved variables as well.
Kil

Post by Kil »

how do you even delete your smbx saves from the slots

Is there seriously no way to delete your saves from within the game?
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Kil wrote:how do you even delete your smbx saves from the slots
You delete the actual save file from your computer when SMBX is closed. They're in the episode's folder and are called save1.sav, save2.sav etc.
Kil

Post by Kil »

wow

then I wonder if this is even worth it. People can just delete lunasave1 2 3 as well, and we won't have to rely on trying to heuristically detect if the save has been deleted.
MrSecurity

Post by MrSecurity »

So while I was in the level editor I got this error message:

Now, everytime I try to even open the level editor at all-- this message will appear then it will close itself. Does anyone know what the issue is or how to fix it?
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Try redownloading or re-unzipping the SMBX zip.

So I've seen in music for SMBX:
Midi converted to MP3 - increases filesize
.spc converted to MP3 - increases filesize
.ogg converted to MP3 - increases filesiz
.midi - glitchy
Natural .wav - has huge filesize
Natural mp3 - has somewhat huge filesize - too big for heavy use

Okay so. Past natural .oggs (which I am unsure of working) I see no way to get a small filesize in music in SMBX - below a MB, like how a natural midi is. Is there no way at all of having lightweight SMBX music? None at all?
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

TiKi wrote:Try redownloading or re-unzipping the SMBX zip.

So I've seen in music for SMBX:
Midi converted to MP3 - increases filesize
.spc converted to MP3 - increases filesize
.ogg converted to MP3 - increases filesiz
.midi - glitchy
Natural .wav - has huge filesize
Natural mp3 - has somewhat huge filesize - too big for heavy use

Okay so. Past natural .oggs (which I am unsure of working) I see no way to get a small filesize in music in SMBX - below a MB, like how a natural midi is. Is there no way at all of having lightweight SMBX music? None at all?
The problem I think is that music tends to have a lot of data. MIDIs are small because they don't store sound, just sequences of notes and instruments (which is why they may be glitchy - SMBX may not support all possible inputs). WAVs are uncompressed, and so, while they give great quality, they are also massive. MP3s can have varying filesize depending on a number of compression factors, as can oggs. Ogg and MP3 both use different compression algorithms, which means that either may be smaller for different settings, compression quality, and even audio content. Oggs are usually a reasonable bet for game music though, especially if it doesn't need to be great quality. It might be worth testing them further. You're not really going to get an audio file below 1MB that isn't a MIDI, though. Compression can be seriously good, but not that good without losing quality.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Oh, that's why they do it. It doesn't exactly make me feel better about SMBX but it makes it more understandable. Thanks for the tips, MFGG has a "over 30 or so MB in special cases only" policy and yeah. I'll be sure to try ogg and report back.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

TiKi wrote:Oh, that's why they do it. It doesn't exactly make me feel better about SMBX but it makes it more understandable. Thanks for the tips, MFGG has a "over 30 or so MB in special cases only" policy and yeah. I'll be sure to try ogg and report back.
It's perfectly reasonable not to have a complete MIDI interpreter in a game like SMBX, to be honest. Most games don't contains them, particularly if they support MP3 or OGG formats. MIDI is basically like a scripting language for music, in a way - it requires the file to be processed on the fly, and doing so has its own complexities and challenges. It would be nice to have it, but I wouldn't count not having it as a mark against the engine, unlike some things about SMBX that could really do with improving.
Narolas

Post by Narolas »

Hey there.

I've looked around and watched a few videos about SMBX events to try and figure this out.
I have 2 events activating themselves in a loop (changing the background of the level on specific timers, to make it "flash" temporarily)
How do I stop it ? The background only changes in the level screen I set it up in, but I made it play a sound and I have no idea how to "kill" the event, or stop the loop so the sound and background switching stops.

I'm wondering if I have to try and use luna.DLL, or maybe do something with toggling layers.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Narolas wrote:Hey there.

I've looked around and watched a few videos about SMBX events to try and figure this out.
I have 2 events activating themselves in a loop (changing the background of the level on specific timers, to make it "flash" temporarily)
How do I stop it ? The background only changes in the level screen I set it up in, but I made it play a sound and I have no idea how to "kill" the event, or stop the loop so the sound and background switching stops.

I'm wondering if I have to try and use luna.DLL, or maybe do something with toggling layers.
Essentially, you need to use LunaDLL. The SMBX event system is very limited, and conditional loops are, unfortunately, just not possible. Fortunately, it's very easy to do this in LunaDLL, especially if you use the new Lua plugin.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

The way that would work is you have a timer in LUNADLL that triggers SMBX events that change the background and play a sound, but those SMBX events THEMSELVES don't trigger anything. You can then use DeleteEventsFrom once you get to the next section to stop the sound and background events.
Narolas

Post by Narolas »

Alrighty, that's what I was thinking, but I thought maybe I was missing something.
Thanks guys !

Man, how did people do anything with events without Luna.DLL :p

EDIT : also, I did a quick search, what's this lua plugin you mentionned ? Can't seem to find a reference to it anywhere.
Kevsoft
LunaLua Master Developer

Post by Kevsoft »

About the lua plugin
Lua Reference Page & Examples

Lua is like a script language. You might wanna try it if you want to do more complex things.
Narolas

Post by Narolas »

Yea i've coded in lua before, thanks!
For some reason searching luna.dll and lua didn't give any results.
Kevsoft
LunaLua Master Developer

Post by Kevsoft »

Did you download the package in the lua thread?
Narolas

Post by Narolas »

Yea I have, i'll be trying it out at some point, for now luna.dll on it's own is enough for my level though.
Moosh

Post by Moosh »

I'm currently trying to make an edit to the Mario player sprites that requires adding an extra 2 pixels to the top of the sprite. The problem I'm having is that when I test the game, "Mario" goes completely invisible. I'm assuming that since the spritesheet is split into a 100 pixel grid it must be possible to have slightly bigger sprites, right?
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Uh yeah. You put it starting on the top-left of the original sprite. Don't expand the image in any way. Make sure you've named it properly as well.
Moosh

Post by Moosh »

Okay, so Redigit just set it up like that to screw with people. Got it. Do I need to use a limited number of colors or can I just take off the indexed palette in Gimp and still have it work?
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Moosh wrote:Okay, so Redigit just set it up like that to screw with people. Got it. Do I need to use a limited number of colors or can I just take off the indexed palette in Gimp and still have it work?
you can use any 256 colors you want, but since it's a gif you are limited to 256.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Also: is it possible to flip the "player has viewed credits" flag in a save file and provide said file? I don't want the credits in my episode, and I'd be fine with just providing 1 percent clear files if it meant the player could get a 100 clear save file.
Bump