(shouting)

SMBX Help Thread

The second SMBX collab!
Bryux

Re: SMBX Help Thread

Post by Bryux »

SAJewers wrote:Make the Mask gray.
I tried is the thing, I couldn't get it to work, which is why I want an example.
woawoawoah someone spoilered the obligatory signaturtle
I settled with good old Kaguya
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

TiKi wrote:Okay guys, so you know how if you put like 1/2 of the custom map scenery in your episode folder, and you save, it crashes? Well, I took someone else's advice of putting them in the default folder so the game doesn't think they're custom, but this makes a new problem - it doesn't show them being custom on the selection, only when you place them! How do I make it so that I know what's what?
You gotta remember which custom graphic replaces the original graphic, then place the original graphics, and afterwards, put the custom graphics into the Episode folder. But don't save the world map with the custom graphics enabled. Save it before you put them in the folder.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

Bryux wrote:No I mean like the water in this picture:
*snipped*
I know I've seen water like this in rao's videos too
Which is weird, because what I provided to you does work. Are you using a graphics file that actually has a mask file? If it doesn't have one to begin with, then no amount of altering the mask will give you transparency.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Fluffi-dono wrote:
TiKi wrote:Okay guys, so you know how if you put like 1/2 of the custom map scenery in your episode folder, and you save, it crashes? Well, I took someone else's advice of putting them in the default folder so the game doesn't think they're custom, but this makes a new problem - it doesn't show them being custom on the selection, only when you place them! How do I make it so that I know what's what?
You gotta remember which custom graphic replaces the original graphic, then place the original graphics, and afterwards, put the custom graphics into the Episode folder. But don't save the world map with the custom graphics enabled. Save it before you put them in the folder.
Are some SMBX things just unreasonably complicated like that?
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

TiKi wrote:
Fluffi-dono wrote:
Are some SMBX things just unreasonably complicated like that?
It's a known bug.

One of a few bugs. Bugfixes are distributed by the developers, but since SMBX is more or less "dead", there won't be any bugfixes.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

How did ASMBXT1 change the names to "Demo Game", "Iris Game"?
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

TiKi wrote:How did ASMBXT1 change the names to "Demo Game", "Iris Game"?
string editing
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Is that something I can do?
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Wasn't sure where to post this... It isn't so much a direct question on 'how' to do something... rather 'should'.

I got this idea for a level that I played around with a little:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h9hqd ... 0/Size.rar

It's not a full level at all, just a short testing segment. The idea is that there are some special mushroom powerups that much more directly effect your size than the typical. So far, it's more of a visual gimmick. You come up to a gap where you can't jump normally, but you have a mushroom there to change the level to make it work. You're too big to fit in a gap, but yo have a mushroom there to make yourself small to get through it.

It's tough to get the positioning and such right with this. There are also going to be a lot of points where I'd have to make even more custom blocks for certain types of structures.

I don't know if it's worth 'continuing' though. I've only ever made two levels in my life, so my experience in that field is low. I'd rather not 'waste' an idea like this, that I think is neat, on sub-par level design. Heck, my planned use for it is purely for the sake of visual gimmick than actual game play (like the two other levels I made. I know there are definitely people who don't like that).

So yeah, should I still give this a shot? Is it not worth it and something I should like give up to someone else to do? It's a lot of work, but if it'd be wasted on someone like myself, I'd rather not go any further.

Oh, and I don't want want to ramble too much, but I think this gimmick would be fun if it gets to a point where you're small, and you have to fight a large Goomba, climbing him like Shadow of the Colossus style, and he's beat by just getting one of the super growth mushrooms and doing a regular hop on him. Another hard one to make if only because the custom graphics for that segment could take quite awhile to get right (or in the very least, tedious).
Lightning is the ultimate force. All shall bow to the might of Lightning, or it will strike you down.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

I'm afraid the background betrays that you're not actually changing size.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

TiKi wrote:Is that something I can do?
Open SMBX.exe in a Hex Editor. This might help you: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12498
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

I'm having issues making a lift segment in my level. I have a section that is supposed to be a lift that descends while enemies spawn on the sides, or shoot from behind walls, but it's not really working.

My first attempt had the lift on a separate layer that moved down at a constant speed. This produced occasional oddities with enemy behaviour, but was mostly fine. Apart from the fact that after about 4 seconds, it produced an insane amount of lag, and I just can't work out where it's from.

My second attempt simply had it backwards, and scrolled the background up. Spawned enemies all behaved correctly now, but of course the background is now static. The main issue here is that NPCs not created by a generator simply wouldn't move with the layer. They just stay completely static, and I have absolutely no idea why.

Can anyone help me to do this? I've seen this kind of section done a number of times, and can't understand why I'm having so much trouble.

EDIT: It seems that the lag from the first method is caused by NPC generators. I've used many more generators at once than this, but the lag becomes noticeable with just 2, so I'm really not sure why this is causing a problem.

EDITEDIT: I eventually ended up faking generators using layers and triggers, but I'd still be interested in knowing what caused this.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

How do I auto-disable the Demos counter? I like it, but other people don't, and I don't want them to be annoyed by it in the SMBX hack I'm making.
Luigifan2010
Lua squad
First name: Mike

Post by Luigifan2010 »

Bryux wrote:
SAJewers wrote:Make the Mask gray.
I tried is the thing, I couldn't get it to work, which is why I want an example.
Gray masks actually don't produce true transparency, as detailed in this post
ztarwuff wrote:Whilst making a level in the editor, I managed to create an Runtime Error 340. Something about a control element not existing. Does anybody know how that triggers? all I did was try to pick up a background cactus that I put in the wrong place.
This error typically occurs when editing world maps. Custom graphics for certain scenes ( ican't remember which ones off the top of my head) cause that error. So the solution is either to (backup first) replace the editor's built in map graphics in the editor folder or use PlatGEnWohl experimental which I think has full map support if I'm not mistaken.

Also, if anyone has issues making NPC's check my NPC editor in my signature. You don't have to remember any dumb codes and it supports previewing of the NPC as close to SMBX as possible
TiKi wrote:How do I auto-disable the Demos counter? I like it, but other people don't, and I don't want them to be annoyed by it in the SMBX hack I'm making.
That is a LunaDLL specific thing, LunaDLL is not natively built into SMBX btw, its a hack/mod/add-on. AFAIK you can't really disable that then again lunaDLL doesn't at all interest me.
Kil

Post by Kil »

TiKi wrote:How do I auto-disable the Demos counter? I like it, but other people don't, and I don't want them to be annoyed by it in the SMBX hack I'm making.
People just have to use the version that doesn't have the demo counter. Or in the upcoming version, use the code LunaControl,1,0,0,0,0,0
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Kil

Post by Kil »

People just have to use the version that doesn't have the demo counter. Or in the upcoming version, use the code LunaControl,1,0,0,0,0,0
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

Luigifan2010 wrote:
ztarwuff wrote:Whilst making a level in the editor, I managed to create an Runtime Error 340. Something about a control element not existing. Does anybody know how that triggers? all I did was try to pick up a background cactus that I put in the wrong place.
This error typically occurs when editing world maps. Custom graphics for certain scenes ( ican't remember which ones off the top of my head) cause that error. So the solution is either to (backup first) replace the editor's built in map graphics in the editor folder or use PlatGEnWohl experimental which I think has full map support if I'm not mistaken.
Which is odd, because I wasn't on a world map. I was in the level editor. Oh well... Good thing it hasn't happened again.
Luigifan2010
Lua squad

Post by Luigifan2010 »

Just keep an eye out, honestly there isn't much of a point in using the SMBX Level editor anymore. Use Wohlstand's editor, someone's got their own builds setup here but idk where it is so here's the SMBX.org forums link. The only thing it doesn't support yet is play testing because there's no engine built in yet, but you could always keep SMBX open in the background and reopen the level after saving it in Wohls. There's no errors that I can see, I've made a good amount of levels with it and as of recent, it now supports world maps.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Luigifan2010 wrote:Just keep an eye out, honestly there isn't much of a point in using the SMBX Level editor anymore. Use Wohlstand's editor, someone's got their own builds setup here but idk where it is so here's the SMBX.org forums link. The only thing it doesn't support yet is play testing because there's no engine built in yet, but you could always keep SMBX open in the background and reopen the level after saving it in Wohls. There's no errors that I can see, I've made a good amount of levels with it and as of recent, it now supports world maps.
Actually there is a thread here already for Wohlstand's editor, it's this one:viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14682
Luigifan2010
Lua squad

Post by Luigifan2010 »

Fluffi-dono wrote:
Luigifan2010 wrote:Just keep an eye out, honestly there isn't much of a point in using the SMBX Level editor anymore. Use Wohlstand's editor, someone's got their own builds setup here but idk where it is so here's the SMBX.org forums link. The only thing it doesn't support yet is play testing because there's no engine built in yet, but you could always keep SMBX open in the background and reopen the level after saving it in Wohls. There's no errors that I can see, I've made a good amount of levels with it and as of recent, it now supports world maps.
Actually there is a thread here already for Wohlstand's editor, it's this one:viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14682
yeah, i mentioned someone had their own builds here but wasn't sure of the link and stuff because i only stumbled across it once
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Little question about replacing player-character graphics and stuff: Are the hitboxes the same for each character, or different? Are said hitboxes hard-coded or can they be changed in some way?

I'm not currently trying to do a thing, but it could be useful knowledge for the future maybe.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Kil

Post by Kil »

You can change them in the .exe
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Kil wrote:You can change them in the .exe
HOW?
This would be great for the Yoshi's Island X episode I'm making (which uses autoscroll, new hammer bros, boss HP, and the rest of the stuff you taught me)
Kil

Post by Kil »

Actually it looks like you can use lunadll

Use MemAssign w on 0x00B2C6FC to set small demo's height. The next 4 addresses (B2C6FE, B2C700, B2C702, B2C704) are the other characters small height. Then comes the mushroom/tall heights for all 5 characters. After that is maybe the height for other powerups, and beyond that who knows.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

With that in mind do you think we can extend link/sheath attack hitbox?
Image Image