(shouting)

SMBX Help Thread

The second SMBX collab!
agargara

Re: SMBX Help Thread

Post by agargara »

Willhart wrote:
agargara wrote:Today's MaGL X level had a sign that "self destructed"...how do you do that? Also, would there be a way to make some blocks destroy themselves after a delay, or after the player reaches a certain point? I still haven't totally wrapped my head around how events work...
There is two layers. The sign is on one layer and the bomb is on another layer that is hidden. Reading the sign can be made to trigger an event that switches those layers around.

Here is a tutorial about layers and events here that might help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGDBkUBKkQU
Thank you! Somehow I totally missed the Events window under View, that clears things up quite a bit.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

How do you make an animated background object (such as water) appear in front of a layer of physical blocks/tiles? The background objects have lower priority by default.
Yoshi Ambassador!
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Karatekid5 wrote:How do you make an animated background object (such as water) appear in front of a layer of physical blocks/tiles? The background objects have lower priority by default.
Layers: I think the bottom most ones in layers will have top priority over the default ones, so temporarily turning off the default layer to place the background you wanted to position on another new layer.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

Yo where is the save file for an Episode stored
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

BeatBoxingBoo wrote:Yo where is the save file for an Episode stored
In the same folder as all the level files and whatnot. save1.sav, save2.sav, and save3.sav.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
djones0823

Post by djones0823 »

This happens when I scroll/extend level Boundary. Am I doing something stupid here?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

you reached the end of the particular background you got set up
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

jayScribble wrote:Layers: I think the bottom most ones in layers will have top priority over the default ones, so temporarily turning off the default layer to place the background you wanted to position on another new layer.
I tried that but it didn't seem to make a difference. Though, it worked when I switched the graphic to a background block that has "Layer Priority" (one of the animated midpoint tiles).

In the mean time I've run into another small problem. I'm using custom graphics to replace background-41 and background-47. For some reason, they won't recognize custom masking (they use their default masking instead of the masking files in my level's graphics folder). Is there a way to fix this?
Yoshi Ambassador!
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Karatekid5 wrote:In the mean time I've run into another small problem. I'm using custom graphics to replace background-41 and background-47. For some reason, they won't recognize custom masking (they use their default masking instead of the masking files in my level's graphics folder). Is there a way to fix this?
Unfortunately, those BG elements won't accept custom masks. As much as I hate to say it, blame SMBX and how it's set up.
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

Okay, so I'm interested in trying to do stuff for episode 2 at least, if my computer can manage to run the editor without exploding, but I can't seem to even launch it. When I try to run it (the a2mbxt devkit version, which I just downloaded from the thread), it says MSVCP110.dll was not found, and indeed that file doesn't exist. One readme says to "Extract into the same folder as the game's normal executible" and "Run MakeDLL.exe to compile and test", while the other readme says to put it in a different folder, and in either case, MakeDLL.exe doesn't exist either.

So what do I

do

(also I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but I guess this thread is the best place)

EDIT: I do however have a msvcr110.dll

Am I supposed to rename that, or is that another file that's meant to go with it
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

I don't like double posting, but I still have not been able to figure this out. I don't want to rename the file because it says it could potentially damage something? Should I just ignore that?

Does no one really have any idea of what's wrong, or am I asking in the wrong place, or what

I mean I know it's not exactly important yet, and getting episode 1 finished up takes precedence, but still
Axon

Post by Axon »

I'm not sure, but I think you can try to run "vcredist_x86" (should be in the Main Game folder). Otherwise, maybe you can copy both dlls to the Main Game folder.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

You could always try grabbing the baseinstall from the betatest thread and reinstall the whole thing to a new folder.

That's what I did when my thing was messing up.
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:You could always try grabbing the baseinstall from the betatest thread and reinstall the whole thing to a new folder.

That's what I did when my thing was messing up.
Thanks, for some reason that one actually works

Now the problem is that it takes up roughly 60% cpu at any given time, but I guess I could technically still work with that (apparently it sometimes has to do with running multiple instances of an audio codec or something, but my tray isn't displaying any of that, so I dunno)
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

I'm having an issue with firebars. I'm trying to use them as individual projectiles by setting the firebar position to 0 and attaching them to a moving layer. The issue is that the firebars don't actually move with the layer. Does anyone know how to fix this?
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Hoeloe wrote:I'm having an issue with firebars. I'm trying to use them as individual projectiles by setting the firebar position to 0 and attaching them to a moving layer. The issue is that the firebars don't actually move with the layer. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Why don't you just use real fireballs? I haven't tried them myself, so I don't know if they actually work, but if you use the Lakitu cheat you can select real fireballs from the NPC list.

Alternatively, why don't you just resprite an existing projectile and use an npc text file to resize it?
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

ztarwuff wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:I'm having an issue with firebars. I'm trying to use them as individual projectiles by setting the firebar position to 0 and attaching them to a moving layer. The issue is that the firebars don't actually move with the layer. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Why don't you just use real fireballs? I haven't tried them myself, so I don't know if they actually work, but if you use the Lakitu cheat you can select real fireballs from the NPC list.

Alternatively, why don't you just resprite an existing projectile and use an npc text file to resize it?
Eh, I ended up using retextured munchers, which worked just as well. Thanks for the suggestions, anyway.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

would projectile generators work?
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

darkychao wrote:
would projectile generators work?
I tried generators at first, but they didn't work too well because of how they spawn things.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

I have a completely unrelated issue now. I'm making a level for A2MBXT, and it's based around a gimmick that requires there to be two copies of certain parts of the level, using different tilesets. Is there a tool somewhere that I can use to do a per-section block swap? The one built into SMBX seems to do it per level, which is a pain. Either that, or some guide to the file structure SMBX uses would be appreciated, so I can try and make my own.

EDIT: I ended up doing that all by hand, so never mind.

More importantly, I'm now trying to make moving spikes using a repeating sequence of events to move the layer in question. The issue is that the values don't add up.

The spikes move down at speed 2 for 5 seconds, wait 1.5 seconds, then move up at speed 10 for 1 second, and wait another 1.5 seconds. The problem is that the spikes actually drift up about 3 pixels over the course of this sequence, and I don't know what I can do about it. Is there anything?
Bryux

Post by Bryux »

So I've been trying to do transparency for a thing I'm making but I can't get it to work... Would anyone be so kind to give me an example of working transparency?
woawoawoah someone spoilered the obligatory signaturtle
I settled with good old Kaguya
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Bryux wrote:So I've been trying to do transparency for a thing I'm making but I can't get it to work... Would anyone be so kind to give me an example of working transparency?
I'm not sure how transparent you want it, but I've needed to do a slightly transparent laser-beam kind of barrier for one of my submitted levels.
block-171.gif
block-171.gif (1.03 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
block-171m.gif
block-171m.gif (848 Bytes) Viewed 4036 times
Basically, I make sure there's no background. I suppose if you want more transparency, you just have to add more empty space i.e. pixels using the pure black code, 000000.
Bryux

Post by Bryux »

No I mean like the water in this pictureImage
I know I've seen water like this in rao's videos too
woawoawoah someone spoilered the obligatory signaturtle
I settled with good old Kaguya
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Make the Mask gray.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Okay guys, so you know how if you put like 1/2 of the custom map scenery in your episode folder, and you save, it crashes? Well, I took someone else's advice of putting them in the default folder so the game doesn't think they're custom, but this makes a new problem - it doesn't show them being custom on the selection, only when you place them! How do I make it so that I know what's what?