THE PLAN

The second SMBX collab!
Rockythechao
the figure of Kevka's bear was a sightseeing
First name: Michael
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: THE PLAN

Postby Rockythechao » 6 months ago

So I linked to this on a few discord servers last night, but the thread for the asset pack expansion is up now! It's got a package of all the NPC, block, BGO, etc graphics between the A2XT2 repo and the SMBX basegame, so if you're interested in making new sprites for the project why not pop over, claim a few, and grab the sprite sheets?

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17774
I am fairly involved in A2XT's development as a content creator, wiki contributor and programmer, but I am not the project lead nor am I responsible for half the things people keep attributing to me lol

Useful posts, discussions & resources for SMBX and A2XT

My art & audio thread
Audiomack (new music), SoundCloud (old music)

Hoeloe
A2XT person

ON THE STATE OF A2XT2

Postby Hoeloe » 2 weeks ago

We'd previously announced during last year's Gifted Up raocow Party that A2XT2 would be released in 2018. As you've no doubt guessed, that's sadly not going to be happening. A lot of the development team have had unforseen events taking up this year that have prevented them working on A2XT2 nearly as much as they would have hoped, and it's meant we're having to delay the release of the development kit, and consequently, the game. We're just as annoyed as anyone about this, and it's super frustrating that this is what we're having to do.

However, please don't think the project is dead, it's still going, just slowly, and the dev kit is actually REALLY CLOSE to being ready. It's actually really just waiting on one thing, and for the sake of openness I'm gonna explain this.

The development kit just needs one thing that seems pretty mundane on the surface - text. A lot of the engine relies on more advanced text rendering than is available with the basic LunaLua text tools, but textblox proved to be unsuited to the task due to bloat and performance issues (to the point of sometimes freezing the game for upwards of 10 minutes, or outright crashing it). For a long while now, a replacement system known as textplus has been in the works that fixes these issues, and has only fairly recently got to a usable state. Unfortunately there's now the task of updating the development kit to utilise this instead of textblox, and cleaning up some of the workarounds needed to make textblox even at all functional. This is a fairly large task, and we were hoping to get it done by the end of the year. Alas, life gets in the way at the worst of times, and none of the development team has been able to really dig into these systems enough to finish this.

Which leads us to the current situation: The development kit is almost done. It's been almost done for a while, but progress IS STILL BEING MADE, and it will be released as soon as it is stable enough to be.

Once again, biggest apologies for this unfortunate turn of events, and we though ripping the bandage off now would be kinder than dragging things out for as long as possible.

It's a huge shame, and no-one is more disappointed than us, but we're going to get this done, we just need a bit more time.

Thanks.

Kshaard
Phonotactically-non-conformist monosyllable
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Kshaard » 2 weeks ago

Talkhaus sequels. They should have called this game A3XT, so that the double curse of the number two mightn't have fallen upon it. . . .

Can't wait for A2XT2 part 2 after this one comes out!
This is someone's signature.

Hoeloe
A2XT person

Kshaard wrote: Can't wait for A2XT2 part 2 after this one comes out!
You joke but this has been seriously considered because it's hilarious.

SAJewers
hi

Postby SAJewers » 2 weeks ago

My one fear is that once all this finally is finished and out for people to see and the projectback up and running publicly, the interest will have dropped too much and there won't be enough people around to actually finish a2xt2. hopefully this isn't the case.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Hoeloe
A2XT person

SAJewers wrote: My one fear is that once all this finally is finished and out for people to see and the projectback up and running publicly, the interest will have dropped too much and there won't be enough people around to actually finish a2xt2. hopefully this isn't the case.
I've been quietly contacting people to gague interest and see if the outstanding claims are still wanted. There's plenty enough to finish the project, don't you worry on that front.

SAJewers
hi

Hoeloe wrote:
SAJewers wrote: My one fear is that once all this finally is finished and out for people to see and the projectback up and running publicly, the interest will have dropped too much and there won't be enough people around to actually finish a2xt2. hopefully this isn't the case.
I've been quietly contacting people to gague interest and see if the outstanding claims are still wanted. There's plenty enough to finish the project, don't you worry on that front.
How long ago was this?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Hoeloe
A2XT person

It was spread out over a couple of months. I think the last person I spoke to was in October.

SAJewers
hi

Then hopefully they're still interested a few months later. I guess we'll find out true interest when this stuff is done.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Leet » 2 weeks ago

The talkhaus will never finish anything ever again prove me wrong

e: sorry this is mean I don't mean to sound like I am blaming you guys for the problems you mentioned. I was speaking more generally, not about these specific roadblocks.

This game has really ballooned in ambition though.
ImageWell it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.

Mabel
Just west of wierd

Postby Mabel » 2 weeks ago

We're still here.
Image Image

ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Postby ztarwuff » 1 week ago

I'm still waiting on a finalised list of levels for World 6. The removal of a certain someone's levels from World 6, not to mention improvements in graphics rendering, completely tanked my end of world level. Depending on the new list, I may need to redo the entire level from scratch.

Return to “A2XT”