(shouting)

Let's try to get this done by the end of the year.

... zelda
Nimono

Let's try to get this done by the end of the year.

Post by Nimono »

We've been taking too long on this project as it is. I blame myself here for being completely lax about this whole thing, but no more. We need to kick ourselves into high gear here, and get the design done! So, here's what needs to be done:

-Overworld 1 Enemy Placement
-Side areas needed for Overworld 2
  • -Short underwater swim between whirlpools (Sideview)
  • -Vertical tree-climbing segment before Level 8 (Sideview)
  • -Extra caves
-Add secrets to Overworld 2
-Add boss to Level 4
-Playtest Level 3 boss, possibly redo it (ask Nimono about this!)
-Playtest level 5
-Playtest and complete Level 6 (ask raekuul about this!)
-Add visual polish to:
  • -Level 8
  • -Wand minidungeon
-Playtest the minidungeons
-Complete the remaining two floors of the final dungeon
  • -Level 4/5 Combo (Level 4 theme of darkness/evil, item bow & arrow; Level 5 theme of ruined town/sewer, item Power Glove to lift objects)
-Make final boss

Everything can be found on our dropbox. Ask Nimono or Nabe about it. Please, guys, let's kick this into high gear- let's get this done, and let's do it well!
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Let's try to get this done by the end of the year.

Post by raekuul »

If someone wants to take it over, I'm okay with surrendering command of Level 6. For whatever reason it's really difficult for me to want to work on it.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Hype!
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

raekuul wrote:If someone wants to take it over, I'm okay with surrendering command of Level 6. For whatever reason it's really difficult for me to want to work on it.
What's level 6? Also I'm able to get back to helping with this project! If you guys are still motivated let's do this.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Franky wrote:
raekuul wrote:If someone wants to take it over, I'm okay with surrendering command of Level 6. For whatever reason it's really difficult for me to want to work on it.
What's level 6? Also I'm able to get back to helping with this project! If you guys are still motivated let's do this.
Level 6 is Promin Cliffs
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

I'm willing to help get this stuff done. That list of remaining things to do is really not that bad. Unfortunately things happened in my life that needed my time but I'm good now. Who else is still working on this project?
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Awakenyourmind wrote: 6 years ago I'm willing to help get this stuff done. That list of remaining things to do is really not that bad. Unfortunately things happened in my life that needed my time but I'm good now. Who else is still working on this project?
Unfortunately, it's all down to Nabe now, with me in testing and bug reporting.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

jayScribble wrote: 6 years ago
Awakenyourmind wrote: 6 years ago I'm willing to help get this stuff done. That list of remaining things to do is really not that bad. Unfortunately things happened in my life that needed my time but I'm good now. Who else is still working on this project?
Unfortunately, it's all down to Nabe now, with me in testing and bug reporting.
That's not too big of an issue. Thanks for the info in the other thread, I've started making level 6. I posted a screenshot in the level 6 thread.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Nabe hasn't been on in a month, is he ever coming back?
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Whos willing to help still? I could also ask people on the purezc forums if no one here is motivated, but would be nice to ask here first. Im back to working on Level 6 and after that I could probably handle level 2. Could we get help with the other stuff?
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

@ nabe and whomever please release what there is of this projkeect i want 2 play what is available as soon as *bubsy voice* pawssible
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Post by Nabe »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago @ nabe and whomever please release what there is of this projkeect i want 2 play what is available as soon as *bubsy voice* pawssible
:catcrime:

Still occasionally plugging away at it. You know, he said conspiratorially, if you were to hop into Zelda Classic and defy the powers that be by creating a Lens of Truth dungeon, then your two dungeons (Levels 6 (hypothetical) and 8) would sandwich my dungeon in a manner that would frankly be crass. If you pick up what I am putting down.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Nabe wrote: 1 year ago Still occasionally plugging away at it. You know, he said conspiratorially, if you were to hop into Zelda Classic and defy the powers that be by creating a Lens of Truth dungeon, then your two dungeons (Levels 6 (hypothetical) and 8) would sandwich my dungeon in a manner that would frankly be crass. If you pick up what I am putting down.
i c...

I'd make something but I'm currently trying to wrangle a low-effort SMW collab that's been going on for the past year. I do have a recent Zelda Classic on my hard drive, due to an RPG Maker and VIPRPG induced "I want to mess with romhack editors+ASM and game engines for fun and never release anything" high, but I can also just pick up an ancient copy of it so it doesn't clash with the nearly 10 year old work and scripts of AZCT.

We Will See, Though. I'm very open to making a messy stage or two for fun and merriment once I'm not busy with keeping AAT (or A3MT as some dorks call it*) in check, inserting stuff and making a few levels + a Bowser room or two for that project.

Hope you're doing okay these days tho, I was such an edgy neckbeard back in 2013 and way too much of a carelord in 2014.

* - my cute ex and another SMW hacker said to not use the name because it has certain connotations, and they're sort of right
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

man level 6 is cursed, isn't it?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

It's only fitting that another lion handles it again. Bless Awakenyourmind though
Did we ever decide on a town name, though?

Also reading on your (Nabe)'s post from 3 years ago, man we really bit off more than we could chew. We should have mostly stuck to a Zelda 1 rip-off back then instead of aiming for something of the style of LttP or the Oracle games.
my faggy ass wrote:talkhaus projects are destined to fail from overambition :bigtartle:
I don't mind learning what is needed to make Thing, btw, my post from the same thread still applies. I'll probably not be very good at it but ya know, the more the merrier as long as we don't reach Too Many Cooks Spoil The Broth levels.

If you need my Discord for quick access lmk, I just keep it away from prying eyes and from rando furries because I don't want weirdos to message me. I also have rando messages disabled so you have to first friend me before you can send me anything if you're already on Discordhaus or the ASMT discord like Nimono and Pokota.

Either way, I'd appreciate quick access to you or knowledgeable ZC users/resources (maybe on PureZC, though I've heard the userbase can be immature) once I get it going if possible, though I'll try to mirror updates on here like I'm doing with the AAT baserom. I don't wanna keep everything behind a Discord walled garden. I will say that my management of AAT does come first, even if I'm super bad at keeping progress steady. We need to finish up the remaining talkhaus collabs that need it and all, but there are priorities.

A shame that this will probably be the only ARPG/Zeldalike adjacent Demoverse game, though. ZC does seem like a fun engine.

i spent like three hours hemming and hawing on this post

Image Image
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Honestly, I do think we bit off way more than we could chew with this insistence we do All The Things and have All The Items. Perhaps we should consider cutting some things out, reducing the scope. If we're having issues building a dungeon based around using the Lens of Truth in an interesting way, perhaps we should cut that dungeon and/or the Lens of Truth. It happens in game development a lot. I'd hate for this to end up like Zombie A2MT just because we're trying to do too much and burning out from it, struggling to make it all fit.

Sometimes, it's really worth saying "This ain't working out" and scrapping the idea, and some work toward it. Hell, it's crossed my mind a few times to try to reboot this from the ground up with a proof-of-concept of other stuff. (I even tried making my OWN little adjacent fangame in ZC before I ended up deciding to just make my own engine for a Demo thing...)

EDIT:
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago Either way, I'd appreciate quick access to you or knowledgeable ZC users/resources (maybe on PureZC, though I've heard the userbase can be immature) once I get it going if possible, though I'll try to mirror updates on here like I'm doing with the AAT baserom. I don't wanna keep everything behind a Discord walled garden. I will say that my management of AAT does come first, even if I'm super bad at keeping progress steady. We need to finish up the remaining talkhaus collabs that need it and all, but there are priorities.
Ahahaha... Man do I have a story on that "immature" part...

If you ever need advice on ZC stuff, I can help you out! I even did a small stream on a tutorial once on twitch. Not sure how much it would help, but aside from that, you can always pick my brain for anything ya need. That goes for everyone looking in here!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Nimono wrote: 1 year ago Sometimes, it's really worth saying "This ain't working out" and scrapping the idea, and some work toward it.
Sorry for quickly sniping you, but I was re-reading the thread and you happened to post. From what I've been seeing on the A2XT2 devchat, a lot of this has been happening though Hoeloe and Rixi still have to catch themselves on a few rare occasions. Thankfully development does seem to be going rather smoothly, though the amount of things to make is still quite a bit (half-understatement). No spoilers!!!

What I'm saying is, I agree that it's not exactly necessary to have everything be mandatory for the final project. The "final" version of A2MT doesn't even have Sibling Halls or proper bosses aside from Ado and maybe "proto-Serac", and I feel it's still a proper game, wack difficulty curve and design choices aside. Maks has plans to make it "more final", basically a bugfix in Demo Kong Country and making B Side part of the main rom, and maybe another extra, but yeah. It's basically finished. Nimono is 100% right.

I will say, post-ASMT1 talkhaus was on a scope creep trip. The only ones that made it out of that was ASMBXT and SDS, specifically because they didn't scope creep. Though JUMP the first's biggest problem was aterra mostly bailing on it. I think AAT was kind of close to it, until I just decided on a whim that I Did Not Want To Code Complex ASM Bosses Because I Haven't Touched That Shit In Months

EDIT:
Nimono wrote: 1 year ago Ahahaha... Man do I have a story on that "immature" part...

If you ever need advice on ZC stuff, I can help you out! I even did a small stream on a tutorial once on twitch. Not sure how much it would help, but aside from that, you can always pick my brain for anything ya need. That goes for everyone looking in here!
:pray:

thank u sweet pea

I still remember the basics of setting down basic dungeon layouts, I believe, but I'll try to make some basic dungeons, maps and script when I have free time to get used to it again. When I was 15/16 I was very airheaded and didn't really have a full grasp on the flexibility of Lunar Magic (fuck fusoya tho), old SMBX (fuck redigit) or Zelda Classic.

Let the records show that I tried to insert the ancient Spinia sprite on my MaGL2 Masterchef™ Mystery Box but I did not understand Romi's Spritetool at all, it was my first time inserting graphics and music too. These days I can mostly manage most recent tools and even try to convert some older ASM. Akaginite's jsl.asm, trashkas, reverse engineering on Geiger (need to practice on Mesen-S) and decompiling old BlockTool blocks for life.
Image Image
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago Sorry for quickly sniping you, but I was re-reading the thread and you happened to post. From what I've been seeing on the A2XT2 devchat, a lot of this has been happening though Hoeloe and Rixi still have to catch themselves on a few rare occasions. Thankfully development does seem to be going rather smoothly, though the amount of things to make is still quite a bit (half-understatement). No spoilers!!!

What I'm saying is, I agree that it's not exactly necessary to have everything be mandatory for the final project. The "final" version of A2MT doesn't even have Sibling Halls or proper bosses aside from Ado and maybe "proto-Serac", and I feel it's still a proper game, wack difficulty curve and design choices aside. Maks has plans to make it "more final", basically a bugfix in Demo Kong Country and making B Side part of the main rom, and maybe another extra, but yeah. It's basically finished. Nimono is 100% right.

I will say, post-ASMT1 talkhaus was on a scope creep trip. The only ones that made it out of that was ASMBXT and SDS, specifically because they didn't scope creep. Though JUMP the first's biggest problem was aterra mostly bailing on it. I think AAT was kind of close to it, until I just decided on a whim that I Did Not Want To Code Complex ASM Bosses Because I Haven't Touched That Shit In Months
To be fair, this kind of situation feels standard for ZC at least. I know my very first ZC project I made, I used every single item the engine had solely because at the time you couldn't modify the subscreens and I, for some reason, felt I HAD to use everything it had to offer to be "better". That was a complete mistake- items were strewn about randomly with no real rhyme or reason, just for the sake of having the item be used. I've since learned that it's perfectly OK to not use everything. You CAN be a showcase of the engine without everything. Just do what's best for the project. Keep your focus smaller if need be. But I can also understand how the collaborative nature of the project lends itself to thinking we do need "everything". After all, people want things to work on, and having "more" means more people can join in and do stuff. Great on things like ASMBXT where everything's kinda self-contained. Not so good on something using ZC where everything's meant to mesh together...

I do believe that moving forward, we may want to sit down and decide what we feel is TRULY necessary for AZCT as a project. What does it REALLY need to have? What items do we feel are TRULY necessary for the experience? What's the core essence of our game? Can the project be continued as it is, or will it need to be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up? If it needs to be rebuilt, is there anything that can be salvaged from the original? Ask ourselves questions like that. I honestly do think that if we buckle down and reasses things, we can get this done.
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago thank u sweet pea

I still remember the basics of setting down basic dungeon layouts, I believe, but I'll try to make some basic dungeons, maps and script when I have free time to get used to it again. When I was 15/16 I was very airheaded and didn't really have a full grasp on the flexibility of Lunar Magic (fuck fusoya tho), old SMBX (fuck redigit) or Zelda Classic.

Let the records show that I tried to insert the ancient Spinia sprite on my MaGL2 Masterchef™ Mystery Box but I did not understand Romi's Spritetool at all, it was my first time inserting graphics and music too. These days I can mostly manage most recent tools and even try to convert some older ASM. Akaginite's jsl.asm, trashkas, reverse engineering on Geiger (need to practice on Mesen-S) and decompiling old BlockTool blocks for life.
Yer welcome! Offer's always open if ya need it, just PM me wherever, whenever!
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago Though JUMP the first's biggest problem was aterra mostly bailing on it.
This was what killed AZCT's initial momentum - the original owner of Level-6 (who also happened to do a bunch of the music) quit the community and said we weren't allowed to use their assets for AZCT any more, so we had to make a hell of a lot of resources over again.
Lens of Truth
a thing that I've been thinking for a while is using the passive Cross item instead of the active Lens of Truth - my idea for Level-6 was a sidescroller dungeon (heavily utilizing the feather as a result) but with the active Lens of Truth that resulted in too much item switching for most people's tastes.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago This was what killed AZCT's initial momentum - the original owner of Level-6 (who also happened to do a bunch of the music) quit the community and said we weren't allowed to use their assets for AZCT any more, so we had to make a hell of a lot of resources over again.
god FUCK doctor shemp with a railroad spike, fucking neckbeard
Image Image
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year agoIf you need my Discord for quick access lmk, I just keep it away from prying eyes and from rando furries because I don't want weirdos to message me. I also have rando messages disabled so you have to first friend me before you can send me anything if you're already on Discordhaus or the ASMT discord like Nimono and Pokota.
Coolcool, I've added you on Discord.

At the Lens of Truth discussion, Moosh's part of the final dungeon depends on it existing. We can put it on its own button like the Feather (and/or make it an on/off toggle?) if equipping it is uncool, but we shouldn't remove it.

The project as a whole is in a surprisingly good place. It just needs a lot of attention to wrangle some things together. The only genuine holes are Level 6 and the final dungeon, which would like at least one more floor that isn't made by me. And if it boils down to it, "Level 6" could always be a cave with the Lens, a hidden wall at the back that goes to the Triforce piece, and a sign that says, "sorry yeah we couldn't agree what to put here." But a dungeon would be sick.

Obviously, if we ever make the mistake of doing this again, let's just do a little gaiden.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Nabe wrote: 1 year ago Coolcool, I've added you on Discord.
you're the butt man?????
Nabe wrote: 1 year ago Obviously, if we ever make the mistake of doing this again, let's just do a little gaiden.
that is kidn of what And Another Thing is. it's unofficial subtitle is "an asmt supplement" a la the ancient supplement videos raocow did in the asmt and a2mt lps
Image Image
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

I'm the butt man. As it were.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Not a suggestion or anything but here's like something my friend Glen just sent me and it might make people here interested to possibly mess with it in their spare time once it releases on Steam or Switch?? If it turns out to not be buggy as shit, I mean.

It'll never replace Zelda Classic for proper projects like this but like the Mario and Mega Maker model of quick level distribution is super great for zoning out and making a fun stage for people to play and/or suck balls at. It's like quick fun sketches compared to a finished art piece. It's fun shit.

I still need to play SMM2 again
Image Image